Olivia and Jessica selling raffle tickets for setting yourself on fire. Feds lurk in the background, dressed as farm animals. Like, duh, we’re on to you.
Okay, guys. We need some serious self-reflection as a movement. What happened at the Farm Sanctuary Walk For Animals can never happen again! This is how stuff always goes down and we are making little to no progress. Below are my suggestions for things that can be done differently next time.
1) Did we really need to flip over that hot dog cart? Yes, it was a daring daylight action, I’ll give you that. But what did it really accomplish? Those hot dogs are just going to be replaced with other hot dogs and now the hot dog vendor hates vegans and will probably never go vegan. And I had actually been outreaching him for a few weeks now, I think he was about to go at least pesco.
2) The walking on all fours thing. That was sort of…creepy? I don’t know, I understand wanting to be in solidarity with our non-human brothers and sisters, but it still came off as speciesist. Some animals walk on 2 legs, you know. Some don’t even walk. I think the point was lost on everyone.
3) When was the last time slapping milk bottles out of baby’s hands ever changed anything? Besides, we don’t know for sure that it was cow’s milk in those bottles and we…wait, one sec. BRB.
Oh, okay, the lab tests just came back and it was confirmed to be cow’s milk. But my original point still stands.
4) We are against the horse carriage rides. Why were people “liberating” the pedicab cyclists?
5) Nice to say that we were all going to set ourselves on fire afterwards and then look around to see who else was setting themselves on fire and when you see that no one else was because they were looking around to see who else was doing it and so you don’t set yourself on fire. So, fine, no one set themselves on fire. But you can not then go around setting everyone else on fire except for yourself!
I don’t know, the examples just go on and on. I am really dismayed and just feeling a general lack of unity, support and respect. See the carnage for yourself then tell me if you think I am overreacting.