June 10, 2008

Potluck Faux Pas And A Quiche

I was recently the victim of a bad potluck. Well, in sense, a potluck is a success if everyone shows up and has a good time. But only in a sense. The true measure of success is how stuffed you get and how many leftovers there were. But what happened at this one was by the time I was done putting out the food, there wasn’t really enough of anything left for me to put together a decent plate.

So, yeah, a few potluck rules of thumb.

1) Coordinate with others so that not everyone is bringing sweets.

2) There has to be at least one lasagna.

3) Bring your A-game, spend a few hours in the kitchen, now is the time to impress, not to cut corners.

4) Bring something! And not a little bag of chips, either. If you absolutely can not cook something, then call the host and see what is needed – drinks, fresh fruit. Something. But if more than a few people are doing this, that makes for a crappy potluck.

5) Don’t plan on cooking at the host’s house. What the hell is that about? If you have to do that, then call the host and see that it’s okay. Warming up is absolutely permitted, but preparing your whole dish there without warning? No. Just no, never, no.

6) Bring big portions. Some people have said they bring enough for 6, but why? Is it really that much harder to cook for 12? Like I said, now is the time to go all out. Make time in your schedule, prioritize the potluck. Mean business!

7) Help the host clean up. Or at least offer to. They will probably say no.

8- The host should not be doing most of the cooking. As the host it’s your job to really bring it because it’s your kitchen, but it isn’t your job to bring…all of it.

Potlucks are so easy! I didn’t even realize that any rules were needed for one. But I guess I struck the jackpot of potluck faux pas here in Portland. I mean, bring a bunch of something delicious. Now is the time to break out the comfort food; the mac and cheese, the tamale pie, the BBQ tofu, the potato salad. It’s not the time to wow the crowd with the latest in sliced cucumbers. Unless they’re accompanied by a tupperware full of roasted garlic hummus, then we’re good.

Okay, done bisqueing. Now I want to share a great potluck dish that is going to be in the upcoming brunch book. It’s a quiche!

Everything about quiche is appealing, from its spelling (it’s got a Q!) to its shape (it’s a pie!) to its color (who doesn’t love the seventies?) I also like that it’s delicious served at room temperature and reheats wonderfully, so it’s perfect for a potluck. It doubles well, too. I’ve been using these great prepared spelt crusts from New Seasons here in Portland, but you can use whatever crust you like. It’s wheat free if you have a wheat free crust. It’s a tofu base and cashews make it deliciously creamy.

I love using baby tomatoes of any sort to decorate the quiche with. While they do taste great baked, my main objective is to bring a little color to the dish. You can also use thinly sliced tomatoes, red pepper rings or roasted red peppers.

Tip: The broccoli pieces should be tiny, anywhere between the size of a pea to the size of a dime. As you chop, the florets might become crumbs. That’s just fine! Scrape them up with your knife and use them.

Classic Broccoli Quiche

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 cups finely chopped broccoli (see note)
1 teaspoons dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
1 teaspoon salt
healthy dose fresh cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup raw, unsalted cashews
1 pound extra firm tofu
1 teaspoon prepared mustard (dijon or regular, most anything will work)
a handful or cherry or grape tomatoes for decorating (optional)

1 9 inch prepared pie crust

Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake pie crust for 10 minutes, then remove from oven. In the meantime, start preparing the filling.

Heat a large heavy bottomed skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium heat. Saute the onion and garlic in the oil for about 3 minutes. Add the broccoli, thyme, tarragon, tumeric, salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes, until broccoli is soft. If it starts to look dry add a tablepoon or 2 of water.

Meanwhile, process the cashews in a food processor into fine crumbs. Give the tofu a squeeze to get rid of some of the water, then crumble it into the food processor along with the mustard. Process until relatively smooth. When the broccoli mixture is done cooking, add one cup of it to the food processor and pulse a few times to combine.

Transfer to a mixing bowl, add the rest of the broccoli mixture and combine. Taste for salt. Use a rubber spatula to get everything into the pie crust and smooth the top out. Place cherry tomatoes around the perimeter of the pie and one in the center for maximum Good Housekeeping adorableness. Bake for 40 minutes, until edges of the pie are lightly browned.

I suggest letting the quiche sit for 20 minutes before you dig in. I think it tastes best when it is moderately warm, not piping hot. It’s also great at room temperature.

• June 10, 2008 at 1:28 pm: chris

I have a friend who always, always, ALWAYS violates rule #5. It’s gotten to the point where the host(ess) has to specify to her that she has to bring her whatever-it-is ready to go . . . especially because last time, she did ask if it was ok to bake the mushroom caps at the host’s house, and said all she would need was a baking pan. This turned into needing a cutting board and knife, and a mixing bowl, and some spices, and blah blah blah.

• June 10, 2008 at 2:16 pm: Ashley

Believe it or not…I’ve never been to a potluck…sad, I know. They seem like such fun though! Too bad that the one you just went to wasn’t very good.

The quiche sounds great! I hated quiche as a kid, but I love vegan quiche.

• June 10, 2008 at 2:40 pm: Robyn

Amen!!

• June 10, 2008 at 3:03 pm: Sallie

You are sooo right! Everytime I host a pot-luck one of my friends brings her “salad” to my house and has to wash and cut everything up there… And it’s not like she doesn’t have running water at her place- geez Maybe I should show her this??

• June 10, 2008 at 3:51 pm: Kristin

I’ve had potlucks like this so many times. I’d bake 2 dishes or so and expect others to bring food (since it was a potuck) and EVERY SINGLE PERSON who attended stopped at the grocery and picked something up: pre-made salad, pre-made dessert, chips, etc. This happened more than once. I thought the definition of a potluck was to “cook” and bring something.

• June 10, 2008 at 4:18 pm: Erin

Those of us who enjoy pot lucks so much wouldn’t think there would need to be rules laid down, but some folks just don’t put the extra thought and planning into it. Although, I’m okay with a bag of chips as long as they’re really good chips and there’s also some hummus or guac.

• June 10, 2008 at 6:00 pm: Amy

I’ve never been to a potluck, but what the flip?! People actually think it’s OK to use the host’s kitchen to prepare their dish?!!! Shame. I’d give them the wrong directions to the kitchen (you know, “oh…it’s just out this door here…”) and then lock them out of my apartment. I would.

• June 10, 2008 at 8:51 pm: Melisser

I broke many of those rules at your potluck AND stayed way too late. Please invite me over again, I can make it up to you. I was seriously appalled at how the food spread turned out though, it was 85% YOU, if not more! If I had a kitchen, I would have made a showstopper.
    Also, I have made that quiche for a brunch potluck & it ROCKED. People loved it!

• June 10, 2008 at 8:53 pm: Sarah

Its like you read my mind. Ive been looking for a good quiche recipe. And alas! Here it is. Thanks so much!

• June 10, 2008 at 9:32 pm: IsaChandra

Melisser, I’m sorry if you read this as directed at you, it wasn’t really. It was just like the perfect storm of potluck faux pas. You had no kitchen and it was really a potluck for you and Ryan, plus he got beer! Yeah, he drank it all, but still. And I hope anyone else that was there doesn’t feel offended. It was nice to see everyone! I’m just a food bitch.

• June 10, 2008 at 10:31 pm: Andrea

I really can’t complain about the potlucks I’ve had?they’ve been great. But your list riled me up all over again about this one friend who always brings a pint (not even a quart!) of unwashed strawberries. Not even organic and she thinks this is so cool. “I’ve brought strawberries,” she coos. I’ve never bitched about it in public before but this seems like a good time. She then proceeds to monopolize the sink and ask for knives and bowls and such and I’m usually BUSY. Then she eats most of them herself. Whew. Now I feel kind of mean. And thanks for the recipe. I needed something just like that for an upcoming brunch.

• June 10, 2008 at 11:26 pm: The FBI

I’ve got my eye on this thread, thanks Moskowitz.

• June 11, 2008 at 12:41 am: Dawn

I hate potlucks, but I live in Texas where everything has some animal product in it and I’m totally squeamish about people washing their hands before touching anything I’m going to eat.

The quiche recipe sounds wonderful! I can’t wait for the new cookbook, already pre-ordered it.

• June 11, 2008 at 1:41 am: Katie

This isn’t necessarily a potluck problem, but what really bugs me is when people start bitching about how they’re hungry…yet they’re not offering to help.

• June 11, 2008 at 8:16 am: Shellyfish

Sorry about the lame unluckypotness, but the quiche looks divine!

• June 11, 2008 at 10:45 am: dial

In response to three comments above mine- how do you pre-order the new cookbook?

• June 11, 2008 at 11:57 am: hatorisblindeye

I agree with you about potlucks. I’ve been lucky enough never to have been to a bad one, but I recognize the infractions you’ve listed.

Thanks for the quiche recipe. It looks fabulous. I loved quiche, pregan.

Incidentally, I went to amazon.com to see if the brunch book was up for preorder yet. When I did a search under Moskowitz, one of the results was a downloadable episode of “Charles in Charge”. I thought that was pretty funny.

• June 11, 2008 at 1:10 pm: kmouse

Good rules.

I had a cocktail party “bring appetizers” potluck a long time ago and it was pretty bad. I made these fancy hot quiches, tarts and hot dips while most people ended up bringing boxes and boxes of crackers, bagged chips and hunks of shrink wrapped cheese (this was when I was an omni). I never had one again after that. Now that I have these rules maybe I’ll have one again in the near future?

• June 11, 2008 at 1:53 pm: Dustin Rhodes

I think the secret to fantastic potlucks is gay men. I recently went to a vegan dinner potluck with, like, 9 gay men and one straight woman—and this potluck put every other potluck on the planet to some serious shame. Gay men are so competitive and domestic, and this combination creates a potluck beyond compare. In fact, I think I am going to stick with the gay vegan potluck, exclusively. I am so over, not to mention disgusted by, the potluck you describe. Oh, and since I have already perpetuated stereotypes, it’s never a good idea to invite people under 25 to a potluck. That’s a disaster (by disaster, I mean they’ll pick up some nasty grocery store-made crap) waiting to happen.

• June 11, 2008 at 5:07 pm: phoodphilly

Having grown up in the Midwest, the fact that people violate the holy rules of the potluck is amazing and shocking to me. I mean, all the funerals in my family are followed by potlucks and more hotdishes to take home.
    The only thing you were allowed to buy from the store was lemonade. Church potlucks and coffee hours are along the same lines, and it was always an opportunity to share and be of service to the ones you care about. I have never been to/hosted a veggie potluck, but our circle of veggie friends is growing. Maybe to kick off the school year…

Sometimes you can make the list of your invites and ask for specifics from each person. Don’t ask the funny-but-lazy friend for an entree- ask the type A friend.
    Or do a theme- brunch, mexican, -and that can help peeps be more focused.

I do think though, if you have a small child, you can bring the chips or the drink. I would just be happy that they could come to the hang.

• June 11, 2008 at 7:13 pm: human_oven

I broke #5 one time- I ran out of oil for frying wontons, and it worked out frying them at the host’s house. But I don’t ever plan that or anything…
    Mostly, I don’t go to “potlucks”, but I bring something to almost every party I go to; that way, I can eat something, and people can go “ooh, ahh” because it’s the only thing on the table that doesn’t come with a lid.

• June 11, 2008 at 8:15 pm: holly_lyke_whoa

Ugh! I’m so stoked to be going to my very first vegan potluck in a couple weeks… I can’t stop laying around reading cookbooks like novels, bookmarking recipes of things I want to make. I’m seriously considering making like 5 dishes. It sucks that people just bring chips… LAME

• June 12, 2008 at 1:42 am: Evan

i like potlucks because it’s the perfect time to be competitive.and the earthsave ones here give out prizes.though it’s the same goddamn book i’ve been getting for over 3 years.and usually everyone else brings hummus,fruit,bread,or a big pot of mashed shit.there’s never any vegetables,well,okay a few sometimes,but c’mon.though,the organization is more into getting people to actually come,so they suggest bringing stuff like juice and chips if you “can’t cook” or “don’t know what vegan food is”.

• June 12, 2008 at 4:08 am: Melisser

Oh no no, I didn’t see it as directed at me, per se. We talked about how I usually roll at a potluck, I wish I’d had the opportunity to do so for this! I intend to come back to Portland soon & we will have a KILLER potluck. No slouches allowed!

• June 12, 2008 at 8:23 am: Adele

Hahhaha, cooking a potluck dish at the hosts house? What? Hahhaha,

• June 12, 2008 at 10:35 am: Julie Hasson

Please give Portland another chance Isa. I know we can all do better next time ;-)

• June 12, 2008 at 10:42 am: Rhonda

Oh my gosh! I’ve got to keep those rules forever, because I’ve been to some bad potlucks! So thanks for that! And can I just say that I might have peed a little when I read you’re coming out with a brunch book! You are by far my fave cookbook author and I love brunch and so do you and it’s just heaven that I might get a whole book of your brunch recipes…heaven…

• June 12, 2008 at 11:26 am: Vegan_Noodle

I think I’ll be sending out this link with my future potluck invites… and will highlight the part about how lame it is to just bring chips!!

Oh, and thanks for posting your quiche recipe. I have been drooling over the photos from your brunch testers.

• June 12, 2008 at 2:49 pm: Erin

I can’t agree with you more! That’s why I always bring an appetizer, a main course, dessert, and fruit. That way I know me and my kids are fed when nobody else brings stuff.

• June 13, 2008 at 11:19 am: Katie

I’m so excited about that quiche! Your timing on potluck etiquette is funny because my office is having a potluck today, and while I spent hours last night chopping vegetables and frying tofu and then lugging it in on the subway, it looks like the rest of the people here really are bringing chips and store-bought desserts (none of which are vegan, as usual). I guess they’re just not into the spirit of it.

• June 13, 2008 at 3:59 pm: Desdemona

Great “potluck etiquette” list; too bad it’s so necessary! The only thing I’d add is that, depending on who’s attending/how well you know them, etc., it’s nice to include an index card listing the ingredients along with your contribution, so that people with restrictions, food allergies, or whatever don’t have to find the cook and ask.

And thanks so much for the quiche recipe, it looks delicious. Here I was just wondering what I was going to do with the butt-load of organic broccoli I brought home the other day; now I know!

• June 14, 2008 at 9:38 pm: Diane

I’ve had exactly this same experience at some Portland potlucks! I sent this link to the woman putting together a vegan potluck surprise party and she assured me that this NEVER happens at their potlucks as they’ve been doing this for years. I have found my Portland vegans!!! Not that I’m down on Portland vegans. I am one. It’s just that the experience Isa described is exactly the one I’ve had too many times. My omni friends do a much better job of putting together an omni potluck with vegan options, in my experience.

Honestly, this is the reason that I have stopped going to the monthly potluck advertised by a vegetarian/vegan organization in this city. If I wanted to eat Trader Joe soyballs with canned sauce in a crockpot – well, I guess I would go to that potluck. It’s frustrating when you can really cook but others bring beans and rice or a fruit plate.

Great set of rules.

• June 16, 2008 at 3:31 am: Tina

Really, Diane? Maybe they’ve improved since you quit, because said monthly potluck was tonight, and there was some damn good food there! No lasagna, though. :(

• June 16, 2008 at 11:52 am: Susan G

The day after reading this, I went to a potluck (not veg), noticed the bags and bags of chips, most of which were not even opened. What people ate was the real food. At least no one could bring ‘needs cooking’ items to this one.

• June 16, 2008 at 1:39 pm: Lesley

This comes just in time for me; not one but 2 potlucks this Friday! I’m seriously thinking of going for the quiche. Seems like it would not be too hard to make 2 at once. My family’s been pulling for the pumpkin ziti, but I can’t find any canned pumpkin anywhere!
    We had an after-party for my daughter’s school play last week. Chips, grocery store crudite, TJ’s brownies. . .and my vegan cupcakes. You better believe my cupcakes disappeared in under 2 minutes.

• June 18, 2008 at 12:26 am: Claudine

I have another rule: Bring a serving utensil if your dish needs one, especially if the potluck is not at someone’s house and absolutely if it’s an omni potluck. I just lost a really nice serving spoon at a potluck tonight, probably because somebody took it to serve up the take-out food they bought on the way over.

• June 18, 2008 at 10:54 am: Anonymous

There were *twelve bags* of chips/pretzels at the potluck I went to last week. TWELVE BAGS.

For fewer than 30 people.

I spent 15$ and three hours in the kitchen, cutting and stirring and baking. And people show up with potato chips.

What’s worse is that these same people swore they would bring *food* and then just dicked out.

• June 18, 2008 at 9:41 pm: Eric

Finally made this quiche. It was awesome. Even without the tomatoes. Which I bought. And forgot to put on the damn quiche.

I need a new recipe based around grape tomatoes.

• June 19, 2008 at 8:35 pm: Jill

Diane, I also went to the Portland veg potluck on Sunday. I took Isa’s Escarole with Capers and White Beans. The food is always varied – sometimes we end up with too many desserts, sometimes too few – but the majority of the food is always varied.

And sometimes those who don’t cook, or decide to come at the last minute, bring something from Trader Joe’s – but I’d rather have their company than their food, so as long as they bring a generous amount of something (and a serving spoon) that’s all right!

• June 19, 2008 at 10:14 pm: IsaChandra

Ummm, can someone invite me to these potlucks? I guess I’ve been banned from potlucks in Portland forever.

• June 20, 2008 at 10:54 am: Diane

Jill, I understand what you are saying and agree that the company is more important than the food. I also understand that not everyone has the time or capability of making something in their kitchen. But being a foodie (or a kitchen nazi, as my husband calls me), I do get frustrated by the perceived lack of creativity or effort that I see at some potlucks. Considering that cooking is really a lost art in this country, I should understand this. I’m not being judgmental, just frustrated. If you promise not to throw Trader Joe’s balls at me, I may come to the next Sunday potluck when I’m available.

Isa, you’re a cookbook author. Potluck people tremble in fear when you enter. I suggest wearing a wig and bringing crackers to your next potluck.

• June 20, 2008 at 5:37 pm: Jill

Diane, I do hear you too. It would be great fun to have a potluck geared toward creating and sharing fabulous vegan food, with everyone trying to outdo each other.

Isa, everyone’s always invited to the NW VEG potlucks! We generally have at least 40 people, including some who could use cooking lessons, but there’s always great food in the mix too. Our primary goals are to help people transition to, and become comfortable with, vegan diets, plus build community. That said, some people do bring vegetarian dishes – but usually only at their first visit. And everything is labeled with ingredients, then segregated – vegan, raw, vegetarian. This last month everything was vegan, but we could have used more raw offerings.

Potlucks are 3rd Sundays in Portland (normally 4th Thursdays in Vancouver); the next one in Portland is July 20, at the Friends Meeting Hall on SE 43rd & Stark. We generally have a speaker or some other program following dinner.

We also have a Meatless 4th of July potluck picnic coming up. Details on all at: http://www.nwveg.org/Calendar.html

• June 24, 2008 at 1:08 pm: Suz

Thanks for the quiche recipe, isa! I’ve never made a quiche before, vegan or otherwise, AND I just acquired a food processor for the first time last month, AND I’m slowly breaking into the realm of things that get baked in an oven. So for me to try this is pretty groundbreaking. It went okay for the test run. I didn’t do so well on the crust, all I had on hand was whole wheat flour when it really should have been regular or pastry flour. next time I’ll go with your Vcon single pastry recipe, which worked well for me before despite my novice status as a baker. The filling was wonderful. I’ll experiment with other vegetables and herbs (mushrooms, perhaps!) but the major plus is the texture–creamy and divine. Kind of like a savoury cheesecake, in a good way!
    I think this will be a potluck hit for me for sure! For my last potluck, I brought your acorn squash black bean empanadas laced with chipotle since I love chipotle with squash and black beans. SusanV’s stuffed grape leaves were also wonderful with Vcon’s cashew tzatziki type dip.
    Keep up the good work isa! My cookbook budget isn’t huge, and I built up my recipe over the past 5 years almost solely through following blogs, but my recent purchase of veganomicon was well worth the investment!

• June 24, 2008 at 1:12 pm: Suz

btw, some unanticipated leftover quiche filling made a good dip for late night potato chip snacking.

• June 30, 2008 at 6:04 pm: Krys

Oooh, this looks delicious. I will have to try and make it next week. Thanks for sharing your wonderful recipes. You rock!

• July 1, 2008 at 1:51 pm: Danielle

Favorite quote: “The secret to fantastic potlucks is gay men.”
    I actually think you can substitute the word “potlucks” for basically anything and it would still be true.
    Thank you, Dustin, for sharing this pearl of wisdom.

• July 12, 2008 at 5:44 am: AlisonC

Wow, what a great blog posting! I just happened to come upon this page tonight while perusing the ‘net. I am a potluck fan, have attended many, and yes, I hear you!! It is a tad disappointing when I go all out to make a fantastic, or at least tasty, homemade dish and everyone else brings store-bought. Like Evan, I too enjoy the Earthsave potlucks, and I agree that there is often about 5 different hummouses (sometimes store bought) and then half desserts. I try to promote the salad, because people just don’t bring salads (or entr?es)! And when there are some, they disappear usually before I get a chance at the food, because they are high-in-demand and sparsely offered items. Having said all that, we often have great potlucks because there are so many dishes, so some of them have to be good. Lately though it’s been disappointing. I’m going to post this blog entry on my Facebook page. i totally love it. Some of the comments are hilarious too, because they are so true.

• July 12, 2008 at 4:32 pm: Nancy

I think the quiche sounds wonderful and I can’t wait to make it.

My current peeve is photos of vegan food in cookbooks. I was surprised by a few cookbooks whose photos of food made me change my mind about buying the cookbook, as in not buying it. (not Isa’s books)

In the photo above, I think the quiche looks super delicious, but the tomatoes don’t look very artsy done like that. I think wagon wheel shaped full size cooked tomato slices would look much more artful or alternatively, the quiche on it’s own with some sprigs of something colourful on top or beside.

Just a thought.

• July 28, 2008 at 4:58 pm: Nick

The Quiche was very simple and fun to prepare. I had my folks over for dinner and they flipped out on it. I also flipped, on the count that it was delicious. I served it with mashed sweet potatoe, tomatoe avocado salad with cilantro pomergranet dressing and homemade chickpea bread. The combination meshed very well together. For dessert I made my vegan version of a appracot cobbler, which I should post. Best dinner ever.

• July 31, 2008 at 11:33 am: Lolz

Just wanted to drop a note saying this quiche is absolutely delicious. Super fast and easy to make. Once again, another terrific recipe!

• August 21, 2008 at 3:14 pm: nicole g.

welcome to portland, land of cheap skates, slackers, and penny pinchers !

• June 11, 2009 at 6:40 am: Cathy Bryant

Just got posted this link from the Vegan Society. I love it! I had a potluck for my 40th birthday, hired a hall, put on my posh frock….and got the best food ever, from chocolate and tangerine fridge cake to a platter of vegan sushi. You know you have a good friend when they bring good potluck. That was the piece of wisdom I learned on my 40th. Perhaps I’ll get another piece of wisdom in ten years’ time….

• June 11, 2009 at 8:07 am: Penny

We have a Scottish Vegans potluck every month and I have to say, the food is always great! We don’t have as many as 40 people (just as well, as generally speaking, our houses aren’t enormous), so maybe that accounts for not too many bags of crisps (chips).
    I’ll be posting them a link to this blog, as I know anyone who doesn’t already follow it (I suppose there may be a couple…) will enjoy it.

• October 7, 2009 at 4:43 pm: vowadvarl

Hi!
    You may probably be very curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
    There is no initial capital needed.
    You may begin to get income with a money that usually goes
    on daily food, that’s 20-100 dollars.
    I have been participating in one company’s work for several years,
    and I’ll be glad to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit my pages and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per daily now.

• April 3, 2010 at 6:16 am: Avery

I harmonise with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be enough, for the exceptional clarity in your writing. I will directly grab your rss feed to stay privy of any updates. Solid work and much success in your business endeavors!

• January 2, 2011 at 1:58 am: Aviva

I totally agree with your potluck faux-pas list, Isa! I am one of those vegans who cooks A LOT (and loves it… and what the end products are lol) so when I go to a potluck, I make a winner dish that people will love! Recently I’ve done 2346 kinds of veggies and chickpeas cooked in coconut milk and curry, lemony baked tofu + asparagus, strawberry crumble, latkes made by hand hehe… Yeah I know I sound like I’m tootin’ my own horn here but I’m proud of my culinary achievements and the fact that I make people happy!! I’m part of a monthly study group and luckily, the members are mensches, they GET it y know? We always have the most awesome food and since everything has to be made with kosher ingredients/be vegetarian and I’m the token vegan, most of the food ends up being vegan, so I can actually enjoy food beyond my own contribution lol! On the other hand, there was a breakfast potluck at work for the holidays, which wasn’t so impressive… I’ll go all out and bring homemade pancakes, fruit blintzes or cobbler and most will show up with juice, juice more juice, bread in a bag and *vom!* 5 second bacon lol. So for the past 3 yrs LOL, I have been only eating what I have made at the dreaded company potluck. Yippee! lol

And my goodness, I would never think of cooking something at the host’s home or doing the lame-o shmame-o veggies n’hummus. I can have that on a lazy night when I don’t feel like cooking, in front of the TV lol… When people go to a potluck, they WANT good food (just not all are ready to put in the effort and make it lol). Plus, I’m also really picky about my hummus. :D

PS: Your books are awesome! :)

• March 26, 2011 at 7:34 am: masha

hi, isa! am a huuuuge fan of your books though am not vegan. i have to say that the lemon-coconut bundt is the best cake i’ve ever had – and i happen to be a dessert-aholic. made the quiche yesterday and it’s fantastic, so thank yo

• March 26, 2011 at 3:47 pm: IsaChandra

• November 7, 2011 at 8:09 pm: h

I realize this comment is super late, but I searched for “hummus,” and I came up with this thread. So, my turn to bitch: I don’t host post lucks often, but I do host big sit-down dinners. Well, every time I host one of these dinners, someone I know asks if she can bring something, and always winds up cooking it in my very small apartment kitchen. Last time, she “brought” strudel. Well, she brought the pastry and filling, and insisted on cooking it in my kitchen right in the middle of my preparing dinner for six people (my tiny galley kitchen!).

Alright, that felt good. I’m done now. :)

• January 11, 2012 at 4:46 pm: amanda

posting the link to this on facebook!

• August 25, 2012 at 5:22 pm: Jam

Will it matter if I use roasted unsalted shews?

• March 8, 2013 at 4:54 am: Jude

Hi Isa,

I’ve been loving the stuff we’ve tried from Vegan Brunch and I have to ask: do you think this quiche (and the others) could be done crustless like the frittata? I’ve made both and I like the quiche filling so much more, but we have a GF friend coming over and I’d prefer not to deal with making a GF crust if it’s avoidable. Thanks!

• March 8, 2013 at 4:21 pm: IsaChandra

Yeah, it’ll be fine!

• February 6, 2014 at 5:18 pm: Beth

I have the Vegan Brunch cookbook and have been wanting to make this recipe for a while now. I recently came into a food processor and made this quiche for supper last night. It was out of this world! I used to make egg quiches all the time when I was an omni and by golly if this recipe doesn’t beat all those other ones out of the water! Thank you for being such a wonderfully talented cookbook author!

• February 18, 2014 at 5:37 am: Nala

Could you use macadamia nuts (or another nut or seed) rather than cashews for this? Or anything other than cashews?

• February 27, 2014 at 5:32 pm: Cee

Nala, I bet substituting raw Brazil nuts would work well.

• March 20, 2014 at 1:34 pm: Tori

Question: for those of us allergic to nuts, is there something we can substitute for the cashews and still make a vegan quiche?

• March 20, 2014 at 4:48 pm: Cee

Tori, you could try sunflower seeds as a substitute. I’ve seen that done in other vegan ‘cheeze’ recipes such as mac and cheeze. good luck!

• March 22, 2014 at 3:20 pm: Jackie

I make quiche often without the crust, slice it up and freeze individual pieces. Takes minutes to reheat in the toaster oven.

• July 10, 2014 at 2:34 pm: Smarten Up

One rule I would add: provide an index card with the ingredients (not the recipe..)

Then, those who wish/need to avoid certain foods can do so without being a bug about it–most potlucks have more than enough things to eat, and if I am reduced to “only” three choices, I will not starve for that meal, trust me (But I do plan to avoid Texas, and all that meat, fer sure).

• September 23, 2014 at 4:14 am: first anniversary gift

I usually do not drop a lot of responses, but i did some searching and wound up here Potluck Faux Pas
    And A Quiche | Post Punk Kitchen | Vegan Baking & Vegan Cooking.
    And I actually do have some questions for you
    if you do not mind. Could it be simply me or does it give the impression like some of
    these remarks come across like left by brain dead
    individuals? :-P And, if you are posting on other online social sites, I’d like to keep up with anything new you have to post.
    Could you list of the complete urls of your social pages like your Facebook page, twitter
    feed, or linkedin profile?