- Post Punk Kitchen – Vegan Recipes & Awesomeness - http://www.theppk.com -
Ceylon Style Tofu Curry
Posted By IsaChandra On October 20, 2008 @ 4:47 am In Curry,Recipe | 12 Comments
While working in a vegetarian roadshow cafe, I was asked to come up with dishes that would appeal to veggies and non-veggies alike. So with curry being one obvious choice I decided to make a vegan Ceylon style curry that went down well with every one.
This dish is usually served with basmati rice.
500g Onions, chopped
4 Cloves of Garlic, crushed
3 Green Chillies, deseeded & finely chopped
40g Fresh Ginger, peeled & finely diced
6 Cardamom Pods
3cm Piece of Cinnamon
1 tsp Coriander Seeds
1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
1/2 tsp Fennel Seeds
1/2 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 tsp Turmeric
Juice of 1 Large Lemon
100g Creamed Coconut
500ml Vegetable Stock
Seasoning to taste
1. Drain the tofu and wrap in kitchen paper for 20 minutes to absorb excess mosture.
2. Saute the onions for a few minutes until lightly browned.
3. Add the chillies, garlic and ginger and fry for a few more minutes.
4. Lightly toast the coriander, cumin, fennel, fenugreek and mustard seeds. Then grind them into a powder with a pestle & mortar.
5. Add the ground seeds into the sauce pot with the cadamom, cinnamon, cloves and turmeric and mix in well.
6. Add the lemon juice with the stock and melt in the creamed coconut.
7. Chop the tofu into cubes and add to the curry.
8. Bring to the boil and then simmer gently uncovered for about 45 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
9. Serve with rice.
Article printed from Post Punk Kitchen – Vegan Recipes & Awesomeness: http://www.theppk.com
URL to article: http://www.theppk.com/2008/10/ceylon-style-tofu-curry/
Copyright © 2011 Post Punk Kitchen - Vegan Recipes & Awesomeness. All rights reserved.