October 20, 2008

Mocha Chip Muffins

Makes 12 muffins

I don’t think I need to tell you that Mocha Muffins are amazing. Do I? OK. Mocha Muffins are amazing.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup baking cocoa
2 teaspoons instant coffee
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup soy milk
1/2 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons soy yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 F. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.

In a large bowl, sift together dry ingredients (flour through salt).

In a seperate bowl, wisk together wet ingredients (soy milk through yogurt) until emulsified.

Pour wet into dry and combine until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in chocolate chips. Fill muffin tins almost to the top. Bake 18 – 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

• November 2, 2010 at 10:27 pm: grace

I have a question.
    for the baking cocoa, can the cocoa be dutch-processed?

• November 27, 2010 at 9:49 pm: veggybaby

What can be used in place of soy yogurt? I don’t like it and therefore never have it on hand.

• November 29, 2010 at 7:25 am: Isla

i live in Tanzania, there is no soy yoghurt here, only soya milk which i can curdle with vinegar – will this work in place of the yoghurt?

I have your Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World book – it’s FAB, thanks. But lots of things i can’t get here! :( Now i’m trying to replace molasses with golden syrup or maple flavour syrup for the Peanut Butter Cupcakes, it changed the taste…they’ve stopped stocking it here. Damn this country!

x

• December 21, 2010 at 12:33 am: Heather

I’ve used Isa’s version of buttermilk in place of yogurt before and it worked well. Just curdle the milk with some apple cider vinegar or lemon juice.

• March 2, 2011 at 5:03 am: Connie

I like these muffins but would love to try them with higher quality coca.
    Also, I think you can try subbing silken tofu for the soy yogurt if you whiz it in a food processor. If anyone has more subs for soy yogurt I’d love to hear them!

• April 2, 2011 at 1:56 am: janiejones

Love your shtuff so much! Bought the book to support your talent.
    Thank you for the online stuff, still gonna use that because it’s easier than flipping the pages.
    Can’t wait ’til all your other great recipes arrive!
    Thank you for what you do. Just wanted to let you know its greatly appreciated!

• May 26, 2011 at 8:07 pm: Janine

Just made these muffins for my son who has Milk and Egg allergies. They are the best milk and egg free muffins we have made. Have bought two of your books recently and can not wait to try some more of your recipes. If they are all as good as this then going from vegetarian to vegan will be a piece of cake (vegan of course!)

• May 28, 2011 at 6:19 pm: Maria

I use cultured coconut milk instead of soy yogurt!

• September 30, 2011 at 2:55 am: Kelly

I used applesauce instead of the soy yogurt because no store around me carried it. The muffins were still super delicious and very moist the next day.

I also used an extra 1/4 of a cup of cocoa so they’re more like double chocolate muffins. So good.

• October 15, 2011 at 2:58 am: Linnea

Fabulous recipe. Everyone I’ve made it for loves it.
    Two comments:
    1. Don’t substitute applesauce for half the oil unless you really need to, because the muffins lose richness that needs to be made up for by more chocolate.
    2. Mini chocolate chips (the darker the better – Schokinag extra dark from King Arthur Flour are the best) disperse in the batter better than regular chips, and are the only thing I use.
    Thank you for this delicious recipe!

• December 22, 2011 at 3:43 pm: Greta

Is it possible to use very strong coffee or espresso in place of the instant coffee? I remember a non-vegan recipe back in the day before my vegan transformation that used the strong coffee in lieu of the instant coffee.

Anyone know about that/how to work it into the recipe?

• March 26, 2012 at 2:48 am: Leah

Amazing! I used about 5 times the amount of coffee and instead of instant, it was expresso. Very delicious, each cupcake was like a morning expresso. I did it with the coffee frosting from the book aswell to add extra umph. My new favourite dessert in the world! thank you

• May 19, 2012 at 7:03 pm: Sarah

Thanks for your brilliant recipies! I LOVE these muffins (I’m a Vegan newbie) – Would it be possible to let me know if I could get away with subbing the oil for applesauce please?
    Or if there’s anything else I could replace the oil with ?

Big Thanks once again, My Vegan friend bought me your Vegan with a Vengance a few weeks ago to start me off and ALL your recipies have turned out great. (Not the case with some other books!) :-)

• June 12, 2012 at 2:33 pm: Jax

oh my goodness….these are absolutely delicious!!! Just made a batch but instead of soy yogurt I used raspberry coconut yogurt. I highly suggest using raspberry flavored yogurt in whatever form you buy…..perfect!!!! Thanks Isa!!!

• July 8, 2012 at 5:24 pm: Melissa

Sorry to ask a silly question, but I’m a little confused about the baking cocoa. I have both natural and dutch-processed cocoa powder already… can I use one of those instead? Don’t’ want to buy stuff I don’t need, but don’t want to mess up the recipe either. Thanks!

• December 9, 2012 at 1:54 am: Joanna

I used gluten free all purpose flour and mini chips. Instead of liners, I just greased the pan. Big fail. All the chocolate chips sank to the bottom and stuck to the pan : / otherwise muffins came out fluffy, moist and tasted good.

• December 8, 2013 at 6:25 pm: jessy

made these the other day for my coworkers – they absolutely loooooved them. i didn’t have soy yogurt, so i used 1 tbsp of apple cide vinegar in the almond milk to thicken in just a bit. also didn’t have instant coffee, so i took 1/4 cup coffee beans and grounded them finely, adding them into the dry ingredients. turned out awesomely and i wanted to say thank you!

• August 2, 2014 at 5:52 pm: Hayley

These are ridiculously good. Have made them every 6 weeks or so for the last 2 years.

• December 19, 2014 at 4:44 am: Debra

I love theses do so my kids , I use applesauce in place of the soy yogurt works great