October 1, 2010

OMG Oven Baked Onion Rings

Active cooking time: 30 minutes
Total cooking time: 50 minutes

When my friend requested low fat onion rings I kind of let out a sigh, maybe I even rolled my eyes. I’m not crazy about onion rings in the first place and so of course I would be even less crazy about low fat ones. Right? Well, sometimes it feels good to be wrong! I ended up gaga over these. Somehow the greasy mess that is a diner onion ring became a thing of beauty when coated in some whole wheat bread crumbs and baked in a superhot oven. The onions cooks up tender and juicy, the coating crisp and flavorful.

Coupla things. You have to use sweet onions for this, like vidalia or walla walla. Otherwise the taste won’t be as special and the texture won’t be as juicy. Also, if things go as planned, you’re not going to use all of the onions or all of the coating. Just use the nice big rings and use the tiny inside rings for something else. For the batter and coating, you need a lot to get everything breaded, but there will be a bunch left over. Them’s the breaks.

2 vidalia onions (about a pound), or other sweet onion like Walla Walla

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 tablespoons corn starch
1 cup cold almond milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 teaspoons olive oil

Cooking spray

Slice onions into 3/4 inch thick rings. Separate the rings and place in a bowl. Cover with a kitchen towel or something, to keep the onioniness out of your eyes.

Preheat oven to 450 F. Line a rimmed 12×18 baking sheet with parchment paper, spray with cooking spray and set aside.

Now you’ll need two bowls for batter and breading. If you’ve got large, wide cereal bowls that’ll do the trick. In one bowl, dump in the flour and cornstarch. Add about half of the almond milk and stir vigorously with a fork to dissolve. Add the rest of the almond milk and the apple cider vinegar, and stir to incorporate. Set aside.

In the other bowl, mix together the bread crumbs and salt. Drizzle in the oil and use your fingertips to mix it up well.

Assemble the onion rings:

Get a conveyor belt going. From left to right, have the onions, the flour mixture, the breadcrumbs mixture and lastly the baking sheet. Dip each onion slice into the the flour, letting the excess drip off. Transfer to the breadcrumbs bowl and use the other hand to sprinkle a handful of breadcrumbs over the onion, to coat completely. This may take a bit of practice. Carefully transfer each onion to a single layer on the baking sheet. Make sure you use one hand for the wet batter and the other for the dry batter, or you’ll end up with club hand.

Spray rings lightly with cooking spray and bake for 8 minutes. Flip, and bake another 6 minutes. Rings should be varying shades of brown and crisp. Taste one to check for doneness. Serve as soon as possible. With ketchup if you must.

Servings per recipe-4
Calories-220
Cal from fat-45
Total fat-5g
Sat fat-1g
Trans fat-0g
Total Carb-38g
Fiber-3g
Sugars-5g
Pro-7g
Chol- 0mg
Na-520mg
VitA-0%
VitC-10%
Ca-6%
Fe-10%

• October 23, 2010 at 9:40 pm: Sheila

Get a conveyor belt going. ??? No really, where are we supposed to get that?

• October 24, 2010 at 1:51 am: xiolaaa

I just found this site & am looking forward to making these. Thx for posting the nutritional info. Makes life easier for us lazy people that hate figuring that sort of shtuff out…

• October 25, 2010 at 1:09 pm: kathryn

Yay! Can’t wait to try this – I’m going to serve black bean corn burgers with these on the side. Yum!

• October 25, 2010 at 7:05 pm: Kara

Is it okay to sub. soy milk for the almond milk?

• October 25, 2010 at 10:45 pm: admin

Yep, you can sub any unsweetened, unflavored non-dairy milk.

• November 2, 2010 at 12:54 pm: Suzanne

We tried these out last night for the first time and wow they were salty. Perhaps 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt or herbamare would have been better. But other than that they worked out well.

• November 2, 2010 at 7:30 pm: truepeacenik

this is so on my to do list!
    I love onion rings but have no frying ability.

• November 4, 2010 at 11:56 pm: Jess

this is minneeee!
    with ketchup:)
    excellent recipe , I really liked it

• November 5, 2010 at 5:24 am: Juno

Just made these – the taste is fantastic and best of all – no grease! Thank you!

• November 7, 2010 at 2:27 pm: Write2EatWell

Amazing! Works great as a batter for non-fried zucchini too. Thank you!

• November 9, 2010 at 8:28 pm: Allison

mmm, these look awesome!!! Must figure out how to make them GF as well!!

• November 12, 2010 at 10:27 am: J

Substitute Almond Meal and Coconut flour for the bread crumbs and wheat flour, and you’ve now made them gluten free, carb and grain free as well!

• November 14, 2010 at 1:33 am: Jenna

I made these this afternoon to go with garden burgers, and they turned out great! They were surprisingly easy to make, and it was definitely nice to have them not be so greasy. I LOVE onion rings, and now I don’t have to feel so guilty about eating them! Thanks, Isa!

• November 24, 2010 at 4:35 pm: Cherrie

I’m thinking….you can plan to serve them with a meat or meatless loaf utilizing the left over onion ends and bread crumbs. Looking forward to trying them.

• December 1, 2010 at 7:51 pm: SallyT

Dry or fresh bread crumbs?

• December 3, 2010 at 12:41 am: Dana

Complete and total failure :(
    I ran out of bread crumbs twice and they got all mushy and gross.
    Based on Isa’s pure genius I am sure I am to blame.
    I will try this again when I am feeling adventurous and that photo makes me hungry…

• December 3, 2010 at 12:43 am: Dana

How do you evenly coat them without the flour dripping into the crumbs and getting them all mushy and useless? I tried with more speed and that helped a little, but they didn’t turn out well.

• December 3, 2010 at 12:46 am: not Dana...

And when I peeled the rings off the pan the coating came with it.
    How did I fuck this up so badly?

P.s. sorry for posting again…

• December 11, 2010 at 7:21 pm: Esen

These are SO good. You need to spray the pan or aluminum foil or whatever with non-stick cooking spray to make sure they don’t stick, and mine definitely were done after only 6 minutes (not 8) but otherwise, they are fantastic. Even my omni boyfriend loved them! I’m wondering if next time I could use whole wheat pastry flour? Might be too heavy…
    Great recipe Isa!

• December 12, 2010 at 8:46 pm: hi

can you use arrowroot powder instead of cornstarch?

• December 13, 2010 at 3:11 am: Janet

Very new here and trying to convert some of my “tried and trues” to non-dairy. I love vegan desserts as they are just richer… better. And the more I read, the more I just love this place.

On that note, I might be able to provide some assistance on the oops some are having in making onion rings.

I’m really bad as I have a deep fat fryer and I use it for two things and two things only. Lumpia and my notorious Beer Battered Onion Rings w/ smoked paprika.

Don’t give up on onion rings. They do take time and patience. I’ve found that chilling my sliced onion rings for several hours in the wet mixture helps it adhere. Then I use one hand or fork that is to remain “dry” and one to take the rings out of the wet mixture. I tap the excess flour off, otherwise it will run off (especially if being baked) or get all gunky and goopy. Baking rings is different than dropping them in blistering oil, I know, but hope I was able to offer some help.

• December 14, 2010 at 3:18 pm: Valerie

I made this last night for the first time. I didn’t listen to her advice and got club hand, but the onion rings were DELICIOUS!

• December 16, 2010 at 2:19 pm: apple25

To bitchfase: I thought Sheila’s response was funny. It made me laugh. Not sure, but I really think she was trying to add humor. I was repulsed by your vulgarity, which wasn’t necessary.

• December 20, 2010 at 2:34 pm: Gina

Made these today for a group of picky eaters and (we) all loved them; they were perfect; so delicious. I will never again feel sorry for myself for choosing, these past years, not to eat deep fried, greasy onion rings, which I missed until today.

• December 22, 2010 at 10:17 pm: Charlie

i made these last night and was disappointed by the rings. they were nowhere near as good as battered/fried onion rings…plus they were a pain to make.

HOWEVER, I decided to try making a loaf with one onion, and that was GREAT! I coarsely chopped the onion and mixed it with the flour mixture (1 recipe) and then tossed in the bread crumb mixture in a lined loaf pan. Cook at 450 for 30 minutes or so, and it was awesome…and way easier than dipping each individual ring.

• December 23, 2010 at 2:05 pm: jn

I made these a few weeks ago. I did have some problems getting the conveyor belt going because once I dipped a few in the crumbs, there was bits of batter in there and I ended up with a bowl of glop. So I had to have a few bowls of crumbs, and of course since I know better than a bestselling cookbook author, I cut my onions much thicker and they were harder to dip, but these were REALLY TASTY. I couldn’t remember the last time I’d had onion rings and they really hit the spot. Next time I will follow Isa’s instructions closer (this goes against my natural anti-authoritarianism) and I’m sure they will be even better.

i made a bunch and made little batter/crumb cookies with the leftover stuff, which my dogs loved.

• December 23, 2010 at 5:38 pm: IsaChandra

It really helps if you let some of the batter drip off a bit before dunking in breadcrumbs.

• December 25, 2010 at 12:37 am: Connie

I liked these! I found that if you throw the crumbs at the rings instead of dredging them it’s much easier. Use the leftovers to make a loaf like charlie suggested. Yum.

• December 28, 2010 at 5:55 pm: Steph

My man said these were the best onion rings he’d ever had. They were so yummy, great with soup. We especially liked the little rings. We also had to bake them a few more minutes on each side.

• December 30, 2010 at 3:45 pm: Tracy

I made these! Quite excellent.

• January 6, 2011 at 5:13 pm: Emily

I LOVE onion rings, I’ll try making these soon!

Fresh (the most popular veg*n restaurant in Toronto) makes their onion rings with quinoa and they are fantastic!

• January 10, 2011 at 6:07 pm: Windows26

To apple25: I found bitchfase’s profanity to be amusing and quite necessary, while your response was shallow and pedantic.

Also, these onion rings are delicious. I didn’t have breadcrumbs nor the inclination to obtain them, so I used panko with a bunch of herbs and such. I will try it with breadcrumbs some day but panko worked well.

• January 10, 2011 at 6:44 pm: IsaChandra

OK please no more fighting in the onion rings comments! Thanks guys.

• January 11, 2011 at 1:28 am: StarFire

LOL @ All the comments.

These look great.. Going to make some this weekend:)

• January 14, 2011 at 6:28 am: Radish

What’s with boyfriends requesting onion rings? This is the first recipe from the AFR book that the bf wanted to try (and it was delicious!)… but I never realized good-lookin’ dudes dig fried onions so much. I believe in the print version, the recipe preface says “my boyfriend requested low-fat onion rings…”? Anyway, onion rings = my new pick-up strategy. Thanks for the wonderful recipe in a wonderful book :)

• January 21, 2011 at 1:12 am: mamachandra

I have these in the oven now, so excited! I only had one onion so I tossed some broccoli speared (blanched and dried first) and some zucchini in there, too.

My batter was seemingly thin. I guess I exptected it to be thicker? gooier to hold the crumbs better? It’s all pretty fragile but I’m forcing myself to be delicate with them and I think they’re going to be great!

Thanks so much for this idea! I’m on a pretty regimented meal plan of late and making my breadcrumbs from sprouted grain bread and serving them alongside some roasted tofu is making for a drool-worthy dinner!

• January 23, 2011 at 3:08 am: miss juli

I just made these, OMG! Sooo good, definetly going to make them again, they were so easy. For some silly reason I thought they’d be complicated ;)
    I didn’t have any cooking spray, so just brushed the parchment with a little extra olive oil, worked fine in a pinch.
    My rings weren’t as juicy as I would have liked, I used Walla Walla’s and would refridgerate them in the liquid mix next time (just to see if it would make any difference.)

• January 24, 2011 at 1:16 am: DMacKenzie

Awsome! My husband loved them and so did the kids! will definately make them again! The only thing is you need more breadcrumbs. Thanks!

• February 5, 2011 at 4:50 am: Sunch

These were awesome!
    I also had issues with the wet/ dry and I made a huge mess as usual, but they turned out great.
    (although I have to confess I deep fried some of them… they couldn’t all fit in my oven at once! … but yes both baked and deep fried were great, in different ways).
    One suggestion to the person who found them too salty, if you are using store bought bread crumbs like the shake & bake variety, they may already be super salty, so in that case omit the salt for sure, otherwise it’s necessary.
    Also, I’d pick out big chunks of the flour batter from the bread crumb bowl if big glops happened to fall in.

• February 6, 2011 at 9:05 pm: lauren

Super good! I agree with the above poster, pick out the inevitable clumps in the bread crumb bowl after a while. Voila.

• February 13, 2011 at 12:26 am: Andrea

First of all, you meant “assembly line,” not conveyer belt. So everyone can unwad their panties now.
    I thought these turned out really well, I liked them a lot. My husband said they bear no resemblance to onion rings. He wasn’t happy without the deep fried greasiness. Whatever, more for me.
    I found the process really easy because I put all the onion in the wet batter and stuck it in the fridge for a while. Then i just used a fork to pull out the onion (from the bottom, to get the coated pieces) and dropped them in the crumbs. Shake the bowl around and that will do most of the coating for you. Definitely worth making these.

• February 14, 2011 at 8:06 pm: Stefani Shepherd

I made this but with eggplant instead and afterwards added some spagetti sauce and daiya cheese. OMG Delicious. Thank you!

• February 19, 2011 at 2:54 am: Masuphl

I am so nervous about making these! I really want to love them! I think I will follow all of the suggestions listed here and just hope for the best. I actually prefer onion rings that aren’t greasy and heavy – so I am ahead of the game! Maybe I will make them for Academy Awards night. :)

• March 11, 2011 at 4:06 am: TofuRocks

OMG…sooo good. I toasted a couple of whole wheat bread pieces to oblivion and then made crumbs out of them. Worked really well. Next time I will go with 2 cups of crumbs instead of 1 though. The rest of the batter mixed with the rest of the bread crumbs makes for a simple savory pancake :-)
    Thanks, Isa. These will become a staple during our once a month veggie-junk food night.

• March 30, 2011 at 11:59 pm: Sjc96003

I made these for part of dinner tonight and they are everything they claim to be in the book and more. I do totally love these better than the fried version. I could only find seasoned wheat bread crumbs so I used that and omitted the salt. They were crunchy and savory and all things that are good. I just finished dinner but I already want some more!

• April 19, 2011 at 1:30 am: Patty

I really, really want this recipe to work but I can’t get the breadcrumbs to stick to the rings. At first it was because the crumbs were too big but this time around I pulverized the crumbs to make them tiny. However, I am still having problems. Any suggestions besides letting the rings soak in the batter for a few hours?

• April 28, 2011 at 1:15 pm: goodnessbaker

Hi, I included your onion rings in my list of 50 favourite vegan recipes :) Thanks!

• May 7, 2011 at 12:27 am: Nicole

Just made these tonight! Absolutely dreamy. Thanks Isa :)

• May 9, 2011 at 11:06 am: DANNY

How the heck did you coat them so perfectly !!!!!!! Mine came out with lots of bald spots !

• May 14, 2011 at 9:48 pm: sarah

I’m afraid I too had a complete and total failure. Too little crumbs with almost no adhesion to the onions. Then I had to cook them much longer than said. In the end, they just tasted like onions with wheat topping. Your picture is pretty, though!

• May 22, 2011 at 6:46 am: arctic lady

I used highly processed bread crumbs bought in a canister and although the batter looks pretty thin, it did stick okay.

My problem was that they started burning before they onions were fully cooked. I used sweet imperial onions. I also cut them thinner than advised, I don’t know if that made a difference. I would have liked them juicer. In all, very edible.

• May 22, 2011 at 6:49 am: arctic lady

OH I just realized that I used 1/4 cup flour instead of 1/2 that explains the thin batter. I am lucky these came out as well as they did!
    Ha!

• June 28, 2011 at 4:07 pm: Maria

I was excited to stumble upon this site. It’s a shame the f-word has to be in the comments and not just by fans of the site, but the author as well! I hope that this is an exception and not the norm. It makes it harder to recommend the site to others. Food looks fantastic, but that kind of language just shows a lack of good judgement and is a turn off.

• June 28, 2011 at 6:47 pm: IsaChandra

I am the author and did not use the f-word in the comments, although you just made me want to!

• June 28, 2011 at 9:21 pm: Maria

I apologize to the author and direct my comments only to the people who did. I’m sorry.

• June 28, 2011 at 9:59 pm: IsaChandra

Thank you, and I can delete those comments, no prob.

• July 6, 2011 at 7:21 am: Cat

My new favore snack! My batter came out thin and the crumbs didn’t stick too well but it didn’t matter really- they were unbelivably delicious! I have to admit that I have never had deep fried union rings but can’t say I miss them. Kids wanted to just eat them all while I was making other stuff (they are 1,5 and 3 but they were grabbing and munching away with all their might) so I made another batch. Despite them being half bald and had the crumbs falling off to the bottom of the bowl and looking nothing nearly as good as in the picture, they were absolutely irresistable. Thank you for this recipe!

• July 7, 2011 at 6:55 pm: vsnackfacev

yummers. I made spicy version: Add sriracha to batter mix (not tooo much), add chili powder and garlic salt to crumb mix. I have a spicy problem.

• August 23, 2011 at 11:00 pm: mary

the breadcrumbs would not stick to the batter and only made the breadcrumbs mushy. i followed the directions to a t.

• August 31, 2011 at 1:59 am: Caitlin

I also had a difficult time getting the batter to stick to the onions and they didn’t crisp up as I wanted them to. But did this stop me from devouring way too many? Nope, not at all!

• September 15, 2011 at 4:44 pm: Kristin S

I used this recipe to make portobello “fries.” Instead of onion, cut two portobellos in 1/4 inch strips. Delicious!

• September 20, 2011 at 7:07 pm: SR

Oh ffs, are we seriously not allowed to use the f-word on PPK? As Patrick from SpongeBob says, they’re “sentence enhancers.”

• September 22, 2011 at 11:09 pm: HD

Just adding a suggestion to the mix. I used this recipe with green tomato slices for a healthier “fried” green tomato side dish, and it worked perfectly! I did use panko bread crumbs, but other than that, I didn’t change anything in the recipe. It was really good, and I highly recommend it!

• November 7, 2011 at 11:30 am: S D James

“Onioniness” is my new favorite word.

Thanks for all the great recipes! My husband and I have been 100% vegan since the moment the “Veganomicon” hit our doorstep two years ago. (We ordered it from Amazon.) We transitioned from omni to vegan the moment we saw how many options we had. We never looked back, and we have been grateful everyday since.

• December 8, 2011 at 2:24 pm: Therese

This recipe worked awesomely for me; these were delicious.

I also tried breading mushrooms this way and they turned out great! I used medium sized closed cup mushrooms, gave them a wipe with kitchen roll and sliced each in half before coating in batter. I made a half recipe of batter and crumbs, which was enough for about fifteen mushrooms. I baked them for the same amount of time as the onion rings.

Although the mushrooms leaked a bit of juice during cooking that caused a small brown patch here and there, they were still crispy all around and very tasty! Would definitely make the onion rings and breaded mushroom version for friends. =)

• January 7, 2012 at 2:49 am: Sarah m

I agree with Sarah above…this was not a successful recipe for me! Batter was too thin, did not stick at all to the onions, and there were too little crumbs! i also had to cook much longer, but I have an old oven and would expect that…so disappointing. Not one to give up easily, I will try these again, soaking onions first, etc… They look wonderful…just not easy to duplicate :) I am the mom of three…in a house full of omni boys, onion rings are not new…I have made deep fried and baked versions; never have I had such a hard time!! I am open to suggestions…I’d really like these to turn out next time :)

• January 7, 2012 at 5:23 am: IsaChandra

I don’t think you need to soak the onions. If your batter was thin, I would suggest adding a little extra flour (tablespoon or two) and if there weren’t enough crumbs just use more!

• January 27, 2012 at 5:19 am: Sarah

Just made these! Served them with an “aioli” sauce. Match made in heaven! YUM…

• February 5, 2012 at 1:43 pm: Anissa

We loved these. My 19 year old junk foodee son said that they were the best onion rings he ever had. I also tried this recipe on big crimini mushrooms~ and it was delish. I’m going to try it on broccoli and zucchini, too. I’m sure it’ll be great. Thanks so much!

• February 5, 2012 at 8:31 pm: Karoline

How amazing are these! I made a glutenfree version, thought the glutenfree flour mix would mess with the batter but it turned out just fine. I also had a little trouble getting the almond mixture to stick to the onions, I found dipping the onions in some gf flour before they go into the wet mixture helps it stick. That’s then 3 bowls for the conveyor belt but I thought it was totally worth it. Lovely! :)

• February 12, 2012 at 2:07 pm: Rachel

I made these last night and they were a huge hit! I used coconut milk and panko since that’s what I had on hand. The milk was fine but I think regular breadcrumbs would be better. I did have to use more breadcrumbs and things did get a little goopy but overall, it was fine and the results were great. Thanks! (and yes, my husband saw these in your cookbook and was like, YOU HAVE TO MAKE THESE. ha ha)

• February 27, 2012 at 5:03 pm: Kim

made these on the weekend, hate to admit it but used regular 1% milk, added ceyene and chili powder to the crumb mixture which was panko. Ended up making two batches of crumbs which seemed to stick fine to the rings. These were wonderful, better than deep fried. loved, loved, loved these! thanks so much

• April 3, 2012 at 3:36 am: Kelly

I never liked onion rings either, but these are awesome! I’ll try panko breadcrumbs next time for some extra crispiness.

Also, here’s another great dipping sauce idea: chipotle-lime vegan mayo! I had this with fries at a chocolate restaurant of all things, but it adds a nice little bit of spice. Just add a little bit of chipotle and lime juice to your taste to vegan mayo!

• June 13, 2012 at 9:49 pm: Felicity

Made these last night and they were wonderful! I know it says to serve as soon as possible, but I put the leftovers in the fridge and they were great the next day, cold. I found the cold onion to be refreshing on a hot day. Since these aren’t fried, the leftovers don’t get that greasy, nastiness that comes from soaking food in hot grease. My 19 month old son loved them, too (although he spit out the breading because the crumbly texture threw him off, so I ended up just feeding him the onion from the rings)

• August 2, 2012 at 11:11 pm: holly r

I’m not sure who wrote this recipe exactly, or who has used it like this efficiently, but it definitely took me a while longer than 40 minutes to get a similar crunchiness as fried onion rings. I’d say snot 10min/side. And even just for 1 onion, I used twice the amount of breading listed. But..they are delicious!

• August 3, 2012 at 12:43 am: jessiker

this recipe saves me on my junk food craving days. Delicious! Thank you!

• August 10, 2012 at 8:04 am: Susan

Yummy. These came out great! I used 2/3 panko, 1/3 regular breadcrumbs. Also used a fork for dipping into the wet, tapped it, and then used another fork to lift it from the dry side.

Thanks for letting us enjoy onion rings without the nastiness of the deep fried!

• September 2, 2012 at 4:25 pm: Lauren

@sheila, she didn’t mean a literal conveyor belt. . .

• September 16, 2012 at 1:53 am: Anne-Marie

This recipe looks delicious! I’m going to try it this week :D

• September 26, 2012 at 4:55 pm: Becky

Is it OK to sub in Quinoa Flour instead of All Purpose Flour?

• September 30, 2012 at 12:03 am: Sam

Thank you SO much for this recipe- I followed your directions and they turned out AMAZING! So crispy on the outside, and sweet and yummy on the inside. Definitely my new favorite ‘guilty’ pleasure!!

• January 17, 2013 at 5:10 pm: Lynne

Just made these last night and they were the BEST onions rings I have ever had! Crunchy, light and guilt-free! I took the smaller inner pieces of the onion, chopped them coarsely, mixed them with the leftover flour mixture and then the bread crumbs and shaped it into little patties and baked them on another cookie sheet. Fabulous!

• February 28, 2013 at 11:47 am: Sandra

yummy! Tried them, they were really great. My boyfriend said they were bette than the takeaway ones he has had.. :)
    Greetings from germany.

• March 13, 2013 at 10:31 pm: JennO

Made these last night with tofu BLT’s…the men in my house were worshiping me. Seriously, kick ass. Thank you again…you are so amazing I felt compelled (again) to blog your greatness. Head on over to old maid new. Thanks!!

• March 29, 2013 at 6:08 pm: bookwormbethie

these worked great. i subbed unsweetened plain eden soymilk for the almond milk due to allergies. also used panko cuz that is what i had on hand. i used more panko than called for. next time i’ll use bread crumbs but these were awesome! i baked a little bit longer than indicated but that’s no big deal because everyone’s oven is different.

• April 19, 2013 at 8:57 pm: Rebecca

Just made these, and they are GOOD! Had to stop myself from eating the whole batch… kinda defeats the “reduction” part ;) I used vanilla almond milk and white onions, but they still turned out alright. I also used Italian breadcrumbs, as that was all I had in my pantry, and the extra spices added a nice touch.

• May 12, 2013 at 6:19 pm: Corey Mondello

Finally a no-egg/no-fry onion ring recipe I can try, thanks.

• May 19, 2013 at 11:51 pm: nicole

i just tried the omg onion rings for the first time. i had a great deal of trouble getting the breadcrumbs to stick to the onion after being dipped in the batter. i love onion rings and want to master this recipe, so i need advice. i saw pictures of successful batches so i know it can be done. any suggestions?

• November 13, 2013 at 11:15 pm: bob

too amazing. thanks

• July 18, 2014 at 8:33 pm: Arlyle

This worked fantastically! The recipe was great and tasty. One suggestion: use a silicone baking mat (like a Silpat) and you don’t have to use any cooking spray at all ;)