October 13, 2011

October Newslettery Type Thing

Falling leaves, apple picking, Occupying Wall Street…we’re off to a fabulous Autumn, aren’t we? Here’s everything that’s going on with me in one tidy little note.

Firstly, The Teal Cat Project is hosting a virtual event this Sunday Oct. 16th for National Feral Cat Day. It’s called the Teal Nail Project, and all you have to do is paint your nails teal. Is there anything teal can’t do?

And our new book Vegan Pie In The Sky hit the shelves this week! People have finally got them in their hot little hands (and paws)! Please help spread the word and share this link far and wide! Thank you times a million. (Kitten photo from Joyfulgirl.)

Also, today is the last day of Aprons for Animals. (I just made that title up on the spot.) Bid on an apron and 100% of the moola goes to For The Animals Sanctuary in New Jersey. Let’s get those numbers into the triple digits! I’ll also include an autographed postcard signed to whoever you want. And, ok, if it goes into the triple digits I’ll include a lipstick kiss.

Don’t forget that the Vegan Month of Food is still going strong! Discover new blogs, connect with other food enthusiasts, get inspired and win prizes! We have giveaways planned for the entire month. Super awesome ones.

Will you be in Atlanta on Oct. 30th? I will! And so will pie. Join me at Cosmo’s Vegan Shoppe!

And finally, there is a link going around written by a certain feline, that contains a lot of off-color remarks about me. Please pay it no mind, all of the claims are completely false and I will prove it in a court of law.

OK thanks for reading, and have a delicious autumn!

• October 13, 2011 at 4:32 pm: Lowrie

amazon still says pre-order…?

• October 13, 2011 at 7:43 pm: Arielle (Your Vegan Girlfriend)

Just bought Vegan Pie In The Sky Off Amazon … can’t wait to get it! Weeeee!!!

• October 14, 2011 at 1:53 pm: Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa

I am so going to con my family into buying Vegan Pie in the Sky for me. They complain that since I’ve gone vegan, I don’t bake nearly enough desserts for them any more. Well, now they can have their dessert and eat it too!

• October 15, 2011 at 2:12 am: joyfulgirl

Yay! That’s my kitty! We’re about to run downstairs to make our first recipe from the book (pumpkin cheesecake)!

• October 17, 2011 at 10:28 am: Katrina

So excited about this new book! Cute kitty too.

• October 18, 2011 at 5:44 am: MelandAmy

Can’t wait for your new book!

• October 19, 2011 at 1:48 am: KZ

Hey Isa, I have a somewhat food-related question, but mostly a cat question. I want to rescue a kitty, but am not sure what I should feed him/her. I have done a little research about it and heard from some places that felines can’t live on a vegan diet. I wonder if there’s any truth to that, and figured you’d know for sure. I really don’t want to buy cat food that has animal products and chemicals in it, because a huge reason why I went vegan was to boycott those industries, and might have a hard time justifying buying food for my kitty that is full of stuff I’d never touch. Any advice?

• October 19, 2011 at 2:23 am: IsaChandra

Hi KZ, I didn’t have any luck feeding my kitties a vegan diet. I don’t have a justification for feeding them meat, other than that they need to eat I am their caregiver. And while I don’t need to eat meat to survive, they do. In a better world, we wouldn’t have this complicated situation where we have to choose one animal over another, but since the kitties exists, they do need our care in the here and now. But that’s another reason I am such an advocate of TNR and so against breeding. Of course, everyone has to do what feels right to them!

• October 23, 2011 at 5:22 pm: Kel

Cats cannot be on a vegan diet since they MUST have taurine in their diets. There are a few places in my community that sell fresh cat food. This means organic ingredients such as grains, veg and sorry to say meat. This meat is organically approved and often you can find out where it came from. As well cat foods purchased from veterinarians are also ‘better’ for your cats and not filled with useless by products. Hope this helps. I have read a few blogs threads with discussions re: kitty’s going vegan and adding taurine supplements, but I do not know much about this unfortunately. Try a search for ‘taurine supplemented cat diets’ perhaps? Hope this helps.

• October 24, 2011 at 6:13 pm: kz

Thanks for all of your help and info!

• November 5, 2011 at 6:54 pm: Connie Fletcher

Poor Fizzle!!! Quite funny…thanks for the link. Now, for my question. I am just baking the Cosmos Apple Pie, and it says to turn the temperature down and continue baking for another 30 to 35 minjutes, but it doesn’t say turn down to what temp? I’m assuming (hopefully correctly) to 350 degrees???

By the way, if you haven’t got the new book…GET IT!!!!

• November 6, 2011 at 1:50 am: IsaChandra

Oh no! Yes, 350 F. Thanks for letting us know about that booboo!

• September 10, 2014 at 6:08 pm: Jeannette

I love reading an article that can make men and women think.

Also, thank you for allowing me to comment!