| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vegan in Erie, Pennsylvania?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:21 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Hello, PPK. I'm off to visit the beastly animal in a couple of weeks in Erie, PA. Where even the salads have meat on them. I usually spend all day at the barn and get around to dinner around 8 at night and breakfast early in the morning. I may not have access to a microwave or kitchen facilities and one can't eat from Wegmans every day. Well, I can, but my family disagrees. Any ideas? This is my first time trying to survive Erie as a vegan.

Post subject: Re: Vegan in Erie, Pennsylvania?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:34 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I'd get a stock of non-refridgerated things to keep handy.

Nuts, seeds, fruit leather, fruit, breads, peanut butter, shelf stable almond milk..etc.
If you can get to a refrigerator, stock up on some hummus, carrots..etc

Otherwise, is there an Italian place around? Thai? Indian? Those are usually my safe bets to find vegan.

Oh good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:06 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

happycow has a few options listed here: http://www.happycow.net/north_america/u ... ania/erie/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:53 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

So I can't get to any of the Happy Cow places because they're not open at times when I'm not in the middle of nowhere. But apparently our hotel will have a kitchenette. So I'm hoping for a microwave and a fridge. Plus, Olive Garden where there's pasta with tomato sauce, bruschetta, and minestrone soup. And Wegmans which has a huge selection of premade things that are often vegan. I think I'll live? ALso taking a Costco sized tub of hummus, some bread, and avocados.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:17 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

You may want to call ahead of time to your hotel and make sure they have fridge/microwave for your room. Sometimes these things are only available upon request, though requests are almost always honored!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:45 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

It's a Homewood Suites, so according to their website there is alway at least a microwave and fridge. Yay!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:34 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

There is a Whole Foods in Erie on 26th Street. I live about 45 min away and eat there nearly every time I'm in Erie. I'd recommend the Little Bobbie's Clubhouse sandwich, so freaking good. Also on Peach Street there is a Taco Bell and a Panera Bread (Panera Bread is sorta behind the Taco Bell)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:12 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

There's a great co op in Erie, my friends were just raving about it to me yesterday... I'll have to get you the name of it! They were saying that it has really good sandwiches.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:34 pm 
Tofu Pup

http://www.wholefoodscoop.org/shop/depa ... 93B797892C

I lived in Erie almost all of my life, prior to my escape to Richmond!!! Among other reasons to bash Erie, it is NOT veg*an friendly. The comment about salads having meat on them is so true. It used to drive me nuts when a salad would come to me with bacon on it because I forgot to ask for no bacon when I asked for no cheese or eggs. Occasionally I go back to Erie to visit family and the above link is how I survive. It's the Whole Foods Cooperative store and in it is an amazing little cafe. Other than that, you have Olive Garden and Ruby Tuesday as your best bets. Vegetarian restaurants don't make it in Erie and there is very little in the way of ethnic restaurants (not counting the Italian restaurants that use a meat base in a lot of their marinara sauces or restaurants that will tell you there is no meat in the bean soup yet you find small chunks of meat in the soup because they didn't realize using the bone counts). Anyways, the cafe at the Co-op is really great!!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:51 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Oh man. Been here one night so far. Went to Olive Garden and the waitress was really helpful, got me butter free breadsticks (according to the allergen listing these have no dairy in the baking process) and vegan salad dressing (oil and vinegar) and helped me figure out what on the menu I could eat. Visited the Co-op this morning, and I'm a bit in awe of the cafe they have. So many things I can eat! I didn't get anything today, but definitely buying food for the road. And stocked up on soy yogurt and kale chips and earth balance and stuff. Thank you, PPK for telling me about the Co-op. It makes Erie livable for more than 2 days at a time.