| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Life-changing vegan food stuff (ppk2013)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:38 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Has anyone mentioned chickpea & olive? (http://www.chickpeaandolive.com/) They're a nyc (brooklyn) based food vendor, they're almost always at smorgasburg. I posted about them in the nyc board when someone asked about vegan stuff at smorgasburg. Their big thing is beet burgers and they do sliders and different burgers and sandwiches. I've always been a little beet burger skeptical (I don't love beets) but I had their phatty melt (beet burger, daiya, aioli, tomato and I added eggplant bacon). It was SO GOOD. A little greasy, as others have noted, but I kind of expected something called a phatty melt to be greasy.

Also, I know Lagusta's Luscious was on the list the first time (I think?), but what about Sweet Maresa's macarons? Maresa is Lagusta's best friend and works at the shop, and sells her cupcakes and the like out of the shop under Sweet Maresa's. She unveiled macarons this year, I think, and they are so good (http://www.lagustasluscious.com/shop/sw ... s/macarons). Full disclosure, I've never had a non-vegan macaron, but these taste exactly how I imagine a non-vegan one would. I've had the almond, the pistachio, and peanut butter & jelly, which was a special flavor. They were all perfect and delicious! She also sells them at the vegan shop up in Brooklyn most months. Second full disclosure, I know Maresa (I went to college in the town Lagusta's is based out of), and she is the nicest, sweetest person there is. This is just a bonus though, I'd rave about her stuff even if she wasn't great!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:50 am 

IsaChandra wrote:
Anyone learn any interesting tips or tricks lately?

Oh! One more thing from me, which is kind of a tip/trick. I just learned about cauliflower steaks a few weeks ago, but apparently I'm way behind on them - the person I heard about them from said she read a recipe last year in (I think) Saveur. Since she mentioned them I've seen them mentioned rapid fire by a bunch of other people in the last few weeks. I finally tried them for dinner last night and I was blown away by how amazing something so simple was! All you do is peel/cut off all of the leaves and any remaining bits & slice through the stem into as many large "steaks" as you can (my cauliflower was pretty puny, but I managed to get three steaks, with some bits of florets on the side). I laid them on a baking sheet, sprayed each side with some olive oil spray, sprinkled each side with salt and peper and a tiny bit of smoked paprika, and baked for 20 mins at 400, not flipping at all. Then I seared each side on a REALLY hot cast iron pan, and that was it! We had them with some roasted broccoli, mashed potatoes and punk rock chickpea gravy from vwav. My husband said, this is the best dinner you have ever made, which I don't think he entirely meant, but more that it was the best thing I'd made recently. Which seems crazy, because it was all so simple and so majorly made up of cruciferous vegetables! And the cauliflower "steaks" were crazy filling.

Anyways, cauliflower steaks! They were new to me, and so. good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:09 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I love cauliflower steaks! I need to make them myself. The last business dinner I went to was at a fancy steakhouse, and they did an awesome plate with cauliflower steaks, baked sweet potato, and spinach? Something green. I was pretty happy (besides the fact I was in a steakhouse...)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:49 am 

ndpittman wrote:
I love cauliflower steaks! I need to make them myself. The last business dinner I went to was at a fancy steakhouse, and they did an awesome plate with cauliflower steaks, baked sweet potato, and spinach? Something green. I was pretty happy (besides the fact I was in a steakhouse...)

That sounds like a pretty fantastic steak house meal! I think next time I make them I'll have them with roasted or mashed sweet potatoes and some spinach, because that sounds just about perfect.

I used to hate cauliflower, and over the years I've been slowly edging my way towards loving it. It started with discovering purred cauliflower as a mashed potato substitute, although I over did it and had to back off of that for a while (and for some reason I just don't love caulipots, although I recently got a potato ricer and am wondering if this will help with those). Then I had it roasted with garlic and lemon, and that has been my cauliflower stand by for a pretty long time. And now these steak....I didn't know it was possible for me to ever love cauliflower this much.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:18 am 
Chip Strong

I made steaks last night; maybe I just didn't cut it the proper way because I needed up with mostly florets which isn't much different from how I normally prepare cauliflower. oh well.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:53 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Thai Kitchen Noodle Bowls! They sell them at duane reade so it's super convenient. They're gluten free as well!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:38 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I just discovered trader jo's chocolate cherry ice cream and it's a game changer for sure. I've been searching for a Cherry Garcia replacement since the day I went vegan.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:50 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

That stuff is AMAZING and I don't even really like cherry ice cream! It's ridiculously creamy for soy ice cream, even though TJ's vanilla (I'm assuming the same formula?) is icy like all other soy ice cream. Witchcraft, I tell you.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:04 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I've eaten like 3 cartons of it in like five days

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:26 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I second the following:
- Bacon Seitan from Upton's Naturals (AND Upton's has a new restaurant in Chicago that is AMAZING)
- Earth Balance Vegan Cheddar Puffs and Earth Balance Peanut Butter Popcorn
- Beyond Meat chicken strips
- Daiya Cheddar, Swiss, and Provolone slices

Also:
- Trader Joe's chocolate coconut milk ice cream
- Trader Joe's cookie butter
- Trader Joe's canned coconut cream
- Phoney Baloney Coconut bacon
- Using frozen watermelons to give smoothies a frosty texture a la Kathy Patalsky
- Califa Farms almond milk, particularly the coffee and toasted coconut flavors

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:19 am 

Ooh, I third or fourth that Trader Joe's cherry chocolate ice cream. It is my number one favorite non diary ice cream. So creamy! So cherry-ey! Every time I buy it and think, the carton is so big! we'll have it for a while! And my husband and I always finish it together in two sittings.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:16 am 
Saggy Butt

Oh, my! I'm going to have to go to Trader Joe's. That ice cream sounds divine.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:00 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I 'discovered' avocado the other day (for shame! i know) when i went out and got a portobello burger,it was divine! its a perfct, fairly universal condiment/extra ingredient!
also the other day i tried Daiya cheddar, that was amazing too. i've had other vegan cheddars, but this one was best for me. great with some rice&vegetable broth

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:12 pm 
Tofu Pup

Bridgettebakes wrote:
kittee wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but this bread is pretty amazing. It's from My New Roots and it's flour free. It's basically made of nothing but oats, seeds and nuts and then it's held together by chia, flax and psyllium husk. And it's GOOD. I can't wait to modify it in a million flavors, like pizza or walnut date. It's sorta like if tempeh was bread, cuz you look at it and think, "What's all that stuff holding everythng together?"

http://mynewroots.org/site/2013/02/the- ... -of-bread/

xo
kittee

Okay, wow. Thanks for sharing. I must make.

This looks amazing. Bread has been a big problem for me since developing a slight gluten allergy and just feeling gross after eating it in general. I have to try this soon!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:13 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Kite Hill White Alder on a water cracker with a sliver of pear will bring tears of joy to the eyes of any vegan who once loved brie.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:17 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

catnip13 wrote:
Kite Hill White Alder on a water cracker with a sliver of pear will bring tears of joy to the eyes of any vegan who once loved brie.

Interesting. I'll have to give it a try.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:32 pm 
Nailed to the V

Earth Balance has released a holiday popcorn called 'Tis the Season. It's cinnamon-coated popcorn mixed with almonds and dark chocolate. It's yummy; the peanut butter flavor is tastier, but yay for seasonal eats!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:51 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Yay for non-peanut butter eats! I'll look for it!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:04 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Being a big cherry- chocolate combo fan, I love the TJ's ice cream. Sadly for me, my husband always eats the entire container of it before I can get so much as a spoonful. It's the only ice cream i've found thus far that I really like.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:15 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

heatherkelly wrote:
Has anyone mentioned chickpea & olive? (http://www.chickpeaandolive.com/) They're a nyc (brooklyn) based food vendor, they're almost always at smorgasburg. I posted about them in the nyc board when someone asked about vegan stuff at smorgasburg. Their big thing is beet burgers and they do sliders and different burgers and sandwiches. I've always been a little beet burger skeptical (I don't love beets) but I had their phatty melt (beet burger, daiya, aioli, tomato and I added eggplant bacon). It was SO GOOD. A little greasy, as others have noted, but I kind of expected something called a phatty melt to be greasy.

I visited NYC for the first time since being vegan this summer, and getting chickpea and olive at Smorgasburg was very high on my list of things to try. Before we went to Smorgasburg, however, we had to trek all the way across Brooklyn to Dunwell so my sister could get a doughnut (she is obsessed with doughnuts, I don't enjoy them at all and did not want to go. I am just not a doughnut person, and to spend like two hours going back and forth for a doughnut I had no interest in....) So, I was annoyed and hangry, and by the time we made it to Smorgasburg they were out of my top two choices and I ended up not getting anything at all. Still sad about it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:04 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

The year food photos changed from close ups on a solid color to overheads with lots of stuff in the photos. 2 years ago those stray black beans would have been cleaned up but now they are artfully arranged.

Coconut everything. Soy ice creams are on the decline (so sad). In 2 years they will be some scare mongering about coconut and we'll have to move on to the next thing, which I fear will be hemp.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:03 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

For me, this has been the year of Wilmersburger cheese. It's like Daiya's European cousin, affordable and very similar in taste to cheap dairy cheese. It's been around for a while now, but this year it has become available in so many places (including my neighboring health food store)! Also they've introduced a few new flavors and started making blocks/wedges in addition to their shreds and slices.

http://www.wilmersburger.de/en

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:48 pm 

TexTroosers wrote:
heatherkelly wrote:

I visited NYC for the first time since being vegan this summer, and getting chickpea and olive at Smorgasburg was very high on my list of things to try. Before we went to Smorgasburg, however, we had to trek all the way across Brooklyn to Dunwell so my sister could get a doughnut (she is obsessed with doughnuts, I don't enjoy them at all and did not want to go. I am just not a doughnut person, and to spend like two hours going back and forth for a doughnut I had no interest in....) So, I was annoyed and hangry, and by the time we made it to Smorgasburg they were out of my top two choices and I ended up not getting anything at all. Still sad about it.

Aw, sad story! Although I'm crazy about the doughnuts at dunwell, so I do understand your sister's want to trek to get them. I work about 3 blocks from dunwell and I'm not exaggerating when I say it is a daily struggle for me not to stop in on my way home from work every single night. But, chickpea and olive is seriously amazing, hopefully you can come back again soon and give them a try!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:22 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

SO let's see. About a month and a half ago we were talking about cauliflower. Speaking of cauliflower, Najib's Special from the Nuba Lebanese restaurants in Vancouver is a seriously life-changing vegan cauliflower dish. It's deep fried cauliflower morsels battered in a special spice blend (I would kill for the recipe--so far I think there's paprika, sumac, salt, cumin, and cayenne) and served with wedges of lemons (essential) and tahini.

It is probably one of the, if not THE, most legendary dishes in Vancouver, and everyone adores it--even vegetable/vegan food haters.

There's a bunch of copy-cat recipes on the web, but everyone seems to shun the frying part, which is just ridiculous. It's cauliflower, you can have it fried! Plus Nuba's is never ever overly greasy...it's more like a really perfectly fried tempura (but tasting like Lebanese food). YUM oh god I want some now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:32 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Speaking of legendary and Vancouver, the hand-stretched in front of your eyes noodles at The Legendary Noodle House are amazing. All handmade noodles rule, but especially these because the noodle-makers are SO fast and talented and there's this one dish with thick-ish noodles and a pretty simple lemon-garlic sauce that normally I'd shun at an Asian restaurant because the flavours are more Italian but it is SO GOOD.

And maybe this is more of a local thing, but artisanal old-fashioned wood-fired bakeries are such a huge thing and the pizzas and breads they produce are amazing. Also, traditional marinara pizzas with wood fired crust, rich marinara sauce, gold-quality extra virgin olive oil, and fresh garlic are becoming a hugely popular dish again so vegans can order pizza without ANY modifications and rest assured that it won't be destroyed by a dump of Daiya.

Oh and kimchi and really pickles of any kind and everything fermented ever needs to be added to the 2013 list if it hasn't been covered already. When I was a kid I loved Ranch dressing and I daydreamed about swimming around in a bottle of Hidden Valley ranch dressing (yes I know, gross). These days I would be happy to float around in a jar of effing vegan kimchi.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 266 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next