| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Digitizing your cookbook collection
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:34 am 
WRETCHED

So I have a problem. I have a full floor to ceiling bookcase that is full, mostly of cookbooks.

Based on information from this website:
http://www.noordinaryhomestead.com/how- ... -evernote/

I am on an endeavor to select certain cookbooks, copy recipes I want to keep and then donate the books.

I started last night using a scan app on my phone to take pictures and turn those pictures into a pdf then load them into evernote. Evernote was able to search the pdf for keywords and I am also adding keywords to the notes.

Has anyone ever done such an endeavor?

I also kind of failed because the first book I picked was my first vegetarian cookbook, Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone and I don't think I can give the book up. I have other books though that I think I can give up though.

I told my husband my plan and he said I am allowed to get rid of 3 books, I told him I'd like to give up 10 (hey it is a start), he said I can give up Vegan with a Vengeance, I told him no. He said "But you have 2 copies!". I guess I can give up one of my copies... That is all part of the problem.

Post subject: Re: Digitizing your cookbook collection
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:51 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Get a sheet feed scanner that can do duplexing, take your books apart and scan into an OCR app. Anything else is tedious beyond anything. My HP laser has a sheet feed scanner that works well, but no duplexing, so that gets to be a chore. Other than that it has worked great or digitize all my school files. I use Adobe Acrobat.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:10 pm 
Emotionally Allergic to Dairy

I use Evernote for a lot of recipes, but my cookbooks are still where they are. I've digitized SOME of the recipes, but it's happened slowly, based on when I've been going to cook somewhere else and wanted to bring my phone or laptop instead of a whole cookbook.

I LOVE the webclipper feature--it's a plug-in for Firefox or Chrome that lets you "clip" webpages into notes to Evernote, so that's how I've been saving and organizing a lot of new recipes. Most of my Evernote recipes are clipped.

Let us know how the digitizing of the books goes--I don't think I have that kind of stamina/determination! (Though my bf would love it if I would do that and clear up some space.)

Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:39 pm 
WRETCHED

lavawitch wrote:
Get a sheet feed scanner that can do duplexing, take your books apart and scan into an OCR app. Anything else is tedious beyond anything. My HP laser has a sheet feed scanner that works well, but no duplexing, so that gets to be a chore. Other than that it has worked great or digitize all my school files. I use Adobe Acrobat.

That'd kill me! (Tearing apart cookbooks) My purpose isn't really to get every single recipe but grab recipes from cookbooks I don't use often (and magazines) and then donate those. I do want to digitize cookbooks I plan to keep too but that I know is a longer project.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:48 am 
Baking In The Flavor

You could also Google the web and see if any of the recipes you want to keep from your cookbooks are on a blog somewhere. Clip it from there to Evernote, then create a tag for that particular cookbook and tag all of then with it. That should catch a lot of the recipes you want to keep.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:16 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

linanil wrote:
So I have a problem. I have a full floor to ceiling bookcase that is full, mostly of cookbooks...

I am on an endeavor to select certain cookbooks, copy recipes I want to keep and then donate the books.

I started last night using a scan app on my phone to take pictures and turn those pictures into a pdf then load them into evernote. Evernote was able to search the pdf for keywords and I am also adding keywords to the notes.

Has anyone ever done such an endeavor?

I've been considering this as well, only I plan to turn mine into epubs so they can be read in an e-reader. Here are some easy DIY links.

DIY: Turn Your Camera into a Scanner or Copier

An easy Instructable

This forum gets into all kinds of scanning

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:55 pm 
Tofu Pup

Fun!

Even though Evernote is super handy, it's still a bit of a pain to get things digitized if you have a high volume of information. I tend to dislike using a smartphone to organize files just because I find the interface more difficult to work with. If you have a computer as well, you could try photocopying everything onto a usb & then loading and organizing everything on your computer, since Evernote works from a cloud. And otherwise, I think if you can narrow down your work to only the books you feel you can donate (ie the books you need to extract recipes from immediately) that would probably help to expedite your transfer process regardless of how you decide to make it happen.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:21 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

You might look at the time involved and just buy a digital copy of the books...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:57 pm 
WRETCHED

But my evil plan is to type in "gluten" and get all the gluten recipes that I have across multiple cookbooks. I don't think ebooks can do that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:58 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

That might be possible in calibre.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

linanil wrote:
But my evil plan is to type in "gluten" and get all the gluten recipes that I have across multiple cookbooks. I don't think ebooks can do that.

Just sprinkle VWG in everything. Problem solved!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:31 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I've actually decided to keep track of all of my recipes with Evernote, too! I just got a new phone (samsung note 3) and I want to be able to access all of my recipes across different platforms and locations, so whether I'm at home or not, I can look up my recipes. I also like the idea of just having my phone nearby with the recipe on it so I can cook and look at the directions from it. I have two binders of handwritten recipes, recipes saved on pinterest from blogs, and then cookbooks....it will be great to have everything in one place!

My phone also gives me a free year of having a premium account on Evernote, which is pretty nice! Once I'm through sorting all of the handwritten recipes and web recipes on Evernote, I'm going to start scanning my recipe books using my phone and an app.... it will be a lengthy process but I think it will all be worth it in the end! It will also be pretty cool to have recipes from cookbooks on there, and then I might attach my own photos that I have taken after making the recipe...especially for those cookbooks that don't have pictures of everything!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:59 am 
Chip Strong

Vantine wrote:
You might look at the time involved and just buy a digital copy of the books...

I've started get most of my new cookbooks on Kindle. It's nice - I can look at my cookbooks anytime, anywhere. I can pull them up at the grocery store, or plan dinner when I'm on the bus. I'm out of bookshelf space anyway. When I find recipes I like, I copy them into Paprika.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:35 am 
Tofu Pup

I am actually in need of new or used dessert or gourmet book recipe, I prefer with all those that uses chocolates like those recipe book from http://www.berriedinchocolate.com/collections/berried-in-chocolate-book, preferably for choco filled fruits..