| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Christmas/winter holiday meal 2013
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:16 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

Since it was mentioned in the Thanksgiving thread I am sucking it up and getting this one started. Also because I want ideas.

I'm not completely sure what our plans are yet, but if we do a Christmas dinner at home there will be a turkey but I'm determined to have all the sides be vegan. I bought a tofurky roast for myself, but might grab a gardein mini roast thing also because I doubt anyone else will share. Do I attempt a green bean casserole? Slow cooker stuffing? Decisions decisions.

What are you gonna make?

"Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit!" -allularpunk

Post subject: Re: Christmas/winter holiday meal 2013
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:11 am 
Nailed to the V

I'm having Tofurky Roast, Roast Potatoes, veg & Tofurky gravy followed by shop bought Christmas pudding.

I'm making homemade bread sauce. It takes a few hours to prepare but only about 1/2 an hour of that is cooking, most of the time is spent leaving it to cool/infuse.

I have also bought a Black Forest Stollen and have made a Christmas cake for the following days/weeks and will also make mince pies.

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life" Mary Oliver

Facebook

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:53 am 
Flounceiad 2011

I'm not sure yet. As I mentioned in the Thanksgiving thread, I'd really like to do an elaborate Indian feast; my partner and kids would be into it, but some of my extended family might freak out. (And of course, the devil on my left shoulder whispers that this might not be so bad, since then they might just stay home with their stupid ham or whatever it is they can't live without for one day.) I'll decide as we get closer to the day.

It's striking/peculiar how fixated some people get on having to eat certain foods on certain occasions. The Thanksgiving turkey is the most obvious example (how many vegans do we know who've felt less welcome than a dead, headless bird at their "family" dinner?), but the panic the idea of any meatless holiday meal induces would be funny if it wasn't so childish. I mean, it's just one meal: get some perspective!

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:27 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Here's my plan for Christmas dinner for myself and my husband! (We will be eating with my parents and sister who aren't vegan)

-tofurky roast
-roast potatoes
-chestnut & sausage stuffing
-Yorkshire puddings
-roasted veg (squash, onion, parsnip etc)
-carrots, peas & sprouts
-sausages
-cranberry sauce
-gravy

Puddings-
-Pumpkin cheesecake with a Speculoos base and pecan crunch topping
-Christmas Ice Cream (I'm veganizing my mums old recipe from a 50's cookery book!)
-Whipped coconut cream

Uhhhh can't wait!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:18 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Our tradition for Christmas Eve is tacos! I don't know how it started, but my dad has been making them for years. I usually make some stuffings from the Baja Tacos in Vconn. We also have a really big breakfast on Christmas morning. Pancakes, potatoes, snausage.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:13 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

annabazoo wrote:
Our tradition for Christmas Eve is tacos! I don't know how it started, but my dad has been making them for years. I usually make some stuffings from the Baja Tacos in Vconn.

I'm jealous! Every year for Christmas, I want to make a Mexican feast, but in order to do that I would have to stay home and eat Christmas dinner by myself, as my family absolutely cannot break tradition, even though everyone hates the food and all the work. That and the logistics of the Christmas Eve and Christmas day make it impossible for me to cook anything worthwhile, and my family thinks that I will be fine eating pickles and olives off of the relish tray ( I detest pickles) So every Christmas, I sit around at various meals dreaming about the Mexican fest I will have oneday.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:36 pm 
WRETCHED

Our Mexican-American family's tradition is to eat tamales for Christmas Eve and sometimes Christmas. There is also usually fresh tortillas, fresh salsa, beans and rice for Christmas so maybe you just need to be adopted.

This year, as always, I'm going to visit my family. My mom bought a Wellington roast from Native foods and it is in the freezer waiting. Also, for a change, Christmas is at my mom's so I'm not sure what she will cook. My grandma usually cooks ham. My mom might make chicken for the meat eaters. So only difference in what we eat is the meat item, everything else is vegan.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:31 pm 
Nailed to the V

We're going to my in-laws for Christmas, but boycotting the pretentious non-vegan dinner they usually take us to on the grounds that it is past the baby's bedtime. (Thanks, son, I owe you one). I think we're just going to do take out instead. My husband has requested a holiday meal for our tree-trimming this weekend since we're not doing one for actual Christmas. I was thinking of the Thanksgiving burgers from the PPK blog since they seem like a less formal version of a traditional holiday meal. I'm also going to make some cookies and let my son go nuts with sprinkles. I think I'm going to do maple sandwich, since I'm not a sugar cookie fan.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:34 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

My plan is to make a Serbian/Greek feast from Vegan Eats World because I don't usually have enough time to cook from it. It's just going to be us and one other couple of our best friends at their house so I want to make stuff ahead of time too.

I am definitely making the spanikopita again because I just made it for a bakesale and it was fantastic and it's one my friend's favorite dish. So then I was thinking to go with it maybe some garlicky gigante beans with chard, the Kale, Preserved Lemon, and Pomegranate Salad cause it's so Christmas-y. The Orange Blossom Hazelnut Baklava for dessert. But I don't know what else, it seems like I still need a main. I could make sarma (stuffed cabbage rolls) but it's never been my favorite. If anyone has some ideas help me!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:37 pm 
WRETCHED

I think I'm going to LazySmurf's house instead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:56 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

LazySmurf wrote:
My plan is to make a Serbian/Greek feast from Vegan Eats World because I don't usually have enough time to cook from it. It's just going to be us and one other couple of our best friends at their house so I want to make stuff ahead of time too.

I am definitely making the spanikopita again because I just made it for a bakesale and it was fantastic and it's one my friend's favorite dish. So then I was thinking to go with it maybe some garlicky gigante beans with chard, the Kale, Preserved Lemon, and Pomegranate Salad cause it's so Christmas-y. The Orange Blossom Hazelnut Baklava for dessert. But I don't know what else, it seems like I still need a main. I could make sarma (stuffed cabbage rolls) but it's never been my favorite. If anyone has some ideas help me!
That all sounds wonderful. I say make a big pan of moussaka for the main and bask in the glow of your (lucky) friends' praises!
TexTroosers wrote:
annabazoo wrote:
Our tradition for Christmas Eve is tacos! I don't know how it started, but my dad has been making them for years. I usually make some stuffings from the Baja Tacos in Vconn.

I'm jealous! Every year for Christmas, I want to make a Mexican feast, but in order to do that I would have to stay home and eat Christmas dinner by myself, as my family absolutely cannot break tradition, even though everyone hates the food and all the work. That and the logistics of the Christmas Eve and Christmas day make it impossible for me to cook anything worthwhile, and my family thinks that I will be fine eating pickles and olives off of the relish tray ( I detest pickles) So every Christmas, I sit around at various meals dreaming about the Mexican fest I will have oneday.
That sucks - I say make your own Mexican feast ahead of time and bring it along. Pickles and olives for dinner be damned!

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:20 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Desdemona- Mossaka is a fantastic idea! I haven't made that in forever.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:07 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'd like to invite myself to LazySmurf's as well!

My mom insists of having Christmas yet she doesn't really cook and is flummoxed as to how to make anything vegan so my guess is i'll need to cook and haul it over there. I'm thinking the dish from V'con - the one with the eggplant, zucchini, and potato layers with the pine nut crema.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:44 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

So since my sister-in-law is dairy-free and some percentage of vegan now, I asked her if she wanted to go halfsies in making a meal to take to grandma's house - the last couple of years i've just brought our Christmas Eve leftovers with me. We agreed on making two things each and she took dessert and sweet potatoes, and so I have vegetably thing and something protein (and i'll also probably bring a small thing of stuffing).

For the protein i'm thinking the stewed tofu and potatoes in miso gravy, I don't feel like seitan this time and that's got the gravy built right in! I don't know what to do about the vegetable though.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:23 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm really lucky because the big Christmas Day meal is spent with all vegans (we don't celebrate at my parents' house until the next day) but I'm a little stumped because I've been doing stuffed seitan roasts for a few years now and I don't think my sister and her partner really love seitan that much. They eat it, but they don't rave about it. So now I have to come up with some other thing that's the central component to the meal. Everyone still wants a traditional spread with all the sides. We do soup for starters, roast potatoes, yorkshire puddings, gravy, steamed greens...at the moment I'm leaning towards phyllo parcels with a veg stack inside. A base of cashew, lemon and herb stuffing, sauteed field mushroom, spinach, a wedge of roast beetroot, and topped with homemade pesto and almond goats cheese, wrapped up in the phyllo. But I'm still trying to decide if I should do something else... For dessert I'm thinking a chocolate, hazelnut and raspberry liqueur tart (always a hit!) and a lemon or lime cheesecake. I'm also making shortbread and three different kinds of fudge.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I will be eating a traditional (veganized) danish christmas meal: a nut roast (instead of pork roast), warm sweet vinegary red cabbage (shredded red cabbage is cooked with sugar and vinegar until it is tender and SO delicious), potatoes in caramel (yes, that is a thing here!), regular boiled potatoes, brown gravy and probably some other side dishes as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:50 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

We are having friends over on Christmas eve (my favorite part of the holiday) and I'll probably make the vcon piccata, my go-to fancy dish. I used to love it with Field Roast, bur being gf now, I'll probably add chickpeas. And then pumpkin pie and hot chocolate!
I want cinnamon rolls xmas morning, but I don't know about the rest of the day as my parents are flying in and I don't know their expectations.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:26 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I think we all crash LazySmurf's house!

My MIL is not at all vegan friendly so there will be nothing there for me to eat. Bacon is in everything. And she got really upset several years ago when I asked to use the kitchen to make myself something.

I'll likely just add some wraps to the cooler for myself.

What's really funny is that my husband claims that my diet is too hard but he doesn't eat anything they have either since it all has bacon in it. Some super rose-colored glasses, he wears.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:34 pm 
Impressive boner

It's just me, Mr8 and the peegs unless my sister decides to stay in Nottingham this year too, in which case she'll be with us.

On Christmas Eve we'll be watching some horror films and having snacks, possibly Chinese food if our local takeaway is open.
For Christmas dinner we'll be having pie, mashed potatoes, vegetables and gravy (maybe all inside a big Yorkshire pudding, if I can pull it off) followed by Christmas pudding and custard.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:06 pm 
And you never will.

I 100% want to do anything but a traditional xmas menu, but my husband is pretty set on a repeat of Thanksgiving* so I guess that's what I'll do. I have a couple of the stuffed roasts from TJ's in the freezer so I'll probably do those with some dressing and roasted veggies. I was thinking of doing that for Christmas Eve and something fun for Christmas day, but I don't want to spend two straight days in the kitchen :(

*Seriously, why do we wait all year to eat certain foods, stuff ourselves with them on Thanksgiving, then eat virtually the exact same thing again just a month later?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:35 pm 
Naked Under Apron

i'm still brainstorming, but really leaning towards making butterbobbin's chickpea pot pie. dan really wants chocolate pudding pie, so i'll make that (i love it as well) + rad whip. i'm going for something easy and comforting, like poopiebitch, i don't wanna spend all day in the kitchen. it's just dan and i again this year, so it's gonna be pretty awesome!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:37 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

poopiebitch wrote:

*Seriously, why do we wait all year to eat certain foods, stuff ourselves with them on Thanksgiving, then eat virtually the exact same thing again just a month later?

I don't know! Brian and I did have Thanksgiving in July once just for the hell of it. We did have a little variety this year but if I suggest we make a different variation of something, Brian gives me the death stare. Like the potatoes have to be mashed. Not boiled or roasted or latkes or any other way that he does enjoy. And once I discovered Bryanna's soy seitan loaf, I can make nothing else. I haven't told him about the stewed tofu and potatoes yet.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:49 pm 
Chard Martyr

usually i make a seitan wellington, but it's just the two of us so there are so many leftovers. I'm thinking I will do seitan stew and put a puff pastry top on individual portions. i always make cinnamon rolls on christmas eve an pop them in the oven on christmas morning. so that will happen, too. I only have off on christmas day, which is a bummer, so i probably wont go too crazy on making a big thing.

christmas eve we go to a friends for spaghetti.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:31 pm 
Huffs Nooch

smoothie wrote:
I will be eating a traditional (veganized) danish christmas meal: a nut roast (instead of pork roast), warm sweet vinegary red cabbage (shredded red cabbage is cooked with sugar and vinegar until it is tender and SO delicious), potatoes in caramel (yes, that is a thing here!), regular boiled potatoes, brown gravy and probably some other side dishes as well.

Tell us more about your red cabbage dish! It sounds wonderful! Is it braised with a little broth and a few teaspoons of sugar and vinegar?

I don't really have any Christmas food traditions. I was thinking of doing something fun, like some pot stickers and momos from Vegan Eats World, maybe with some soup....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Julialegume and I are planning on staying in and cooking up some type of non-traditional feast for two, probably Thai, but maybe Ethiopian...or Szechuan...

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next