| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: Christmas/winter holiday meal 2013
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:07 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

My christmas meal is going to be as follows: meaty non-meat loaf thing with chestnut and sage stuffing in the middle, Yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, roasted Brussels sprouts, mashed carrot and swede, and peas. For dessert I'm making a salted caramel and chocolate mousse tart thing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:37 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

OK our company is coming over on Boxing Day instead of Christmas now and get this, they are bringing US a vegan/gluten-free meal (I'll be making some dips and cheeses and will have crackers, olives, and sweet treats out. And potato chips.), because my husband and I both work all day the 26th. So since we are getting our tofurky needs out of our systems tonight (they were on sale and my husband loves them and can eat like half in one sitting) with roasted veggies and the crappy Tofurky gravy, on Christmas I am planning to make the raised waffles from VB before we go skating at the gardens, then a Lebanese-ish spread for just us two with stuff mostly from VEW--the lemon olive chickpea seitan, pickled red onions, green tahini sauce, smashed potatoes with lots of olive oil and herbs and maybe chickpea parmigiana, and the cultured cashew herb dip ('cept not cultured as I'm too broke from food shopping to spring for probiotic powder, I'll just doctor it up with more miso and lemon), and then we're having a big chocolate peanut butter pie for dessert (bakery-ordered!). Kind of a weird mix, but since I know exactly what we like, I picked the menu from our favourite flavours!

Admittedly my husband and I are feeling kind of depressed about Christmas this year, for various reasons, so I hope just focussing on cooking together and playing board games and snuggling the cats watching Elf will help us forget the sadness.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:54 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I'm a white girl living in the Southwest borderlands, so I try to be multicultural. Christmas Eve is Hispanic and Christmas Day is American...

Christmas Eve:
Black refried bean tamales (basically from Viva Vegan) topped with the fabulous cooked salsa recipe (tomatoes, oregano and lime juice) in Viva Vegan
Spanish Rice (don't hate me, but Gwyneth Paltrow has the best recipe in her latest book)
side of refried beans
Kale salad (30 minute vegan)
Butternut Squash with cranberries (Supermarket Vegan)
Margaritas

Christmas Day:
Mashed potatoes with gravy (love the "crack gravy" in Julie Hasson's Diner cookbook)
Lentil loaf (okay, don't hate me again but Happy Herbivore has the best, easiest one that never fails)
Roasted Brussel Sprouts (Vegan with a Vengeance...the best ever!!!!)
Rolls, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:11 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

We're a family full of divorces and my aunt's birthday is on Boxing Day, so my brother and I do three big celebratory meal days in a row.

Xmas eve is a big dinner and late night drunken shenanigans with my mum's (French) side of the family. Other than the plethora of non-vegan stuff, my step father will be making:
- pumpkin, artichoke heart and wild rice warm salad
- chargrilled potato and sweet potato skewers with some tomato glaze thing
I'll be contributing:
- couscous salad with avocado, tomato and a lime vinaigrette
- simple tomato/cucumber/red onion salad
- white apple and cranberry sangria
And we'll have vegan 4 layer christmas-cake-and-cherry trifle for desert.

Xmas lunch at my dad's will be a traditional roast for the boys and:
- an individual veggie roast
- roasted potatoes
- vegan gravy
- green beans
- big green salad

Boxing day my mum's side of the family is heading up to our shack on the beach, and we'll be taking the inevitable insane amount of leftovers as well as dips, olives, crackers, chips and red sangria.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:51 pm 
Chip Strong

Christmas Eve:
-PPK Leek and mushroom stuffed seitan roast
-Sage gravy
-Green bean casserole
-Candied yams
-Roasted potatoes (we have run out of thyme... so I think these may end up just being garlicy)
-Fudge (minus the nuts) from Chloe's Kitchen for dessert

Christmas breakfast:
-Veganized breakfast casserole my mom has been making forever (it's like a quiche with bisquick and soft tofu (egg sub) for the eggy part, filled with Daiya, shredded potatoes, green onions, Gimme Lean Sausage)
-Pumpkin coffee cake

Christmas we go to my Aunt's and Uncle's for dinner, and I'm bringing left overs from Christmas Eve!

Illogicalthings: Boxing day is my b-day, too! Three days of delicious food is pretty much the best thing ever.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:15 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Has anyone ever made the PPK stuffed seitan roast without the stuffing? That may be a strange question, but I love the seitan and just don't want to make the stuffing. Would the cooking time, etc. be the same?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:20 am 
Chip Strong

I've never made the ppk roast without the stuffing, but I've made other seitain recipes that are baked. I think the cooking time wouldn't change much (the one I made before baked around an hour or so at 350 as well). I think the only thing I'd change would be adding the spices in the stuffing part to the spices called for for the roast.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:36 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I had this dream (I fell asleep menu planning logistics) that I made chanterelle mushroom hummus with truffle oil. Is that a terrible or genius idea? Before you say terrible, I HAVE tasted truffle oil hummus with roasted garlic and it was insanely delicious--why not saute some chanterelles with garlic and add them to the food processor with the normal hummus stuff? Crazy or Christmas miracle?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:19 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Genius miracle dream! Dooooo it!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:52 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

vijita wrote:
I had this dream (I fell asleep menu planning logistics) that I made chanterelle mushroom hummus with truffle oil. Is that a terrible or genius idea? Before you say terrible, I HAVE tasted truffle oil hummus with roasted garlic and it was insanely delicious--why not saute some chanterelles with garlic and add them to the food processor with the normal hummus stuff? Crazy or Christmas miracle?

I love that you dream about hummus. Looks like I am not the only one. And it sounds pretty awesome.

I am grumpy this holiday. Usually I try to make something special and time consuming since I have the whole day....I considered tamales, but when i think about it, I don't want to stress myself out. Plus, I have to crochet a hat for my brother, his birthday is this week.

I am going to make the Potato Chickpea Enchiladas from Viva Vegan. those are SO GOOD and I haven't make them in a long time. They are sort of time consuming, but not too bad, and it has been so long they will feel special. I need to think about a special desert for my guy though. it will just be the two of us this year (well every year haha).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:56 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

On Christmas eve we had some awesome chinese food from Han Dynasty. On Christmas Day, I made a brown-sugar glazed pineapple ham log, mashed potatoes, classic green bean casserole and a delicious sweet corn pudding. I didn't know what I was doing on the corn pudding, but was pleasantly surprised when it came out crispy and buttery on the edges and corn-pudding-y in the middle. Yum! White chocolate sugar and classic chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:58 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

vijita wrote:

did you use the truffle oil for the hummus, vijita? i want to know! i received substantial WF gift card from my lovely in-laws and i am thinking i need to put truffle oil on my shopping list!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:15 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I just wanted to share that I made this Vegan Venison with Cranberry & Red Wine sauce and it was MAGICAL. Eating leftovers now. Delighted with myself. http://www.meettheshannons.net/2010/12/betty-crocker-project-vegan-venison.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:43 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

here's the menu I settled on...

Lemon garlic fava beans & mushrooms (Isa Does It!)
Wild rice pilaf with apricot, cranberry and pistachio (a variation of this recipe: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/11/14/vegan- ... z2nzgYSbhE)
Green beans with caramelized onions & shallots
Kale & beet salad (this one: http://www.dailybitesblog.com/2011/09/0 ... ale-salad/)
Roasted cauliflower, parsnips and carrots
Apple cranberry crisp with vanilla coconut bliss

It was amazing! The only thing that disappointed was the pilaf, but that's probably only because the rice didn't cook evenly due to my parents' funky old stove. Otherwise everything both tasted good on its own and worked together wonderfully. I think I may do it all again next year...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:08 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

I didn't wind up making ham! After making a few experimental hams I got so burnt out on it that I just couldn't make another.

Instead we made a seitan roulade with roasted leeks amd parsnips, lentil patè, chard, and horseradish cashew cream. It was so good!

We also had stuffing, mashed potatoes with golden gravy, balsamic roasted root vegetables, massaged kale salad with roasted buttnernut squash and hazlenuts, and a double layer pumpkin cheesecake.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:17 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

happyfaced wrote:
vijita wrote:

did you use the truffle oil for the hummus, vijita? i want to know! i received substantial WF gift card from my lovely in-laws and i am thinking i need to put truffle oil on my shopping list!

Or you could just add chanterelles and truffle oil and make the Mushroom and walnuts paté from Veganomicon! I made it with blinis for Christmas and it was a hit!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5