| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Christmas/winter holiday meal 2013
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:31 am 
Ninja Master

Christmas dinner is my favourite meal of the year pretty much. My mum does a big traditional (turkey) Christmas dinner ever year for her and my dad and my brother and his wife. So we just make all the sides vegan and I make Julie Hasson's chicken style seitan roast from Vegan Diner for me (and my dad will eat some too).

All the puddings will be vegan too because I do all the Christmas baking.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:05 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

For xmas eve, my family always did some kinda Italian antipasto and seafood deal, and my partner's family always had a big seafood feast, so for us the past 3 or so years I've made tofu "scallops" in a white wine sauce, with a nice garlicky orzo and asparagus (not seasonal locally but always seems to be available at stores as I guess it's thought of as festive?). We LOVE this but yeah for my visiting sister-in-law, I get some precooked shrimp from Whole Foods and she eats that with our sauce on it (she can't stomach the texture of tofu or seitan but loves those yucky bottomfeeders). Ha on the morning of xmas eve I'm the one at the store's seafood counter looking disgusted and squeamish.

Xmas morning is always pancakes, which doesn't seem all that special since I make them for the kids 3x a week, but on this day I always go for the white flour version so it's a little different.

I'm totally in the "what, Thanksgiving food again!!?" camp too but yep some people just can't have their holiday traditional food changed! So I try to slightly tweak it so instead of the soy-seitan turkey I use beef-style seasoning in the loaf and cooking liquid, and then I go with some traditional-seeming sides. But instead of mashed potatoes I'll make scalloped, and instead of a golden gravy I like to make a port wine one. We always have mashed rutabaga because that's what my partner's family always ate, and I'm planning a big platter of roasted veg as well. And I did promise another pumpkin pie just because between the 2 of us plus our small children we ate the whole thing in under 2 days, but I'll also make some kind of chocolate pie for my sis-in-law who doesn't care for pumpkin - she LOVES smlove pie as long as I leave the toppings off, so that's nice and simple. So glad I only have one insanely picky omni to deal with, and we only see her twice a year so I'm able to be gracious about it all.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:35 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

TexTroosers wrote:
...my family thinks that I will be fine eating pickles and olives off of the relish tray ( I detest pickles)

Seriously? Wow. That's terrible : (

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:37 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

We do something different for Christmas every year. One year it was all fried foods (once was enough, never again), but another year we had homemade pierogies, which were SO GOOD. This year I think we're going Italian - looks like gnocchi with sage butter sauce and probably "chicken" marsala with some kind of green vegetable. Not sure about dessert yet.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:46 pm 
And you never will.

dandykins wrote:
TexTroosers wrote:
...my family thinks that I will be fine eating pickles and olives off of the relish tray ( I detest pickles)

Seriously? Wow. That's terrible : (

I'll say it's terrible. What sort of person doesn't like pickles??

In all seriousness though, that sounds awful. I'm sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:58 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

yeah, i'm serious about the pickles and olives. I wouldn't care so much, but then they take great offence when I decide not to attend and fake smile while I watch them eat dinner. The problem with holidays is that I always have to work everyday leading up to Christmas, pretty much until the last second (5pm on Christmas Eve) and then immediately have to start making the rounds to all the different families (mom, dad, grandparents, husband's family, etc.), leaving me absolutely no time to cook between the two days. I've offered recipes and to buy any ingredients they aren't familiar with, and hosting duties and requested that times be changed and whatnot, but no one really wants to make any changes or put any real effort in. So I always have to choose between staying home alone or not eating. I am working extra hard to figure out how to have time to cook something this year, but it's still crazy that they expect me to show up and then not even try to make something that I could eat. What is the point of hosting a meal if you are knowingly leaving people out? Anyways, pity party over. If I can figure out finding time, I really want to make the turnip stew recipe that was just posted. Then I am going to refuse to share it while they all pretend to like the ham that no one will admit they can't stand.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:27 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Tex- Do any of the restaurants do holiday meals to go? Or do you have a whole foods? My friend always travels to all of her family events with a tofurkey. I always bring a box lunch from the co-op to our Christmas parties at work.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:10 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Ermagerd - I have no choice but to blow my own horn and say that the tourtière I just made is both amazeballs and is a definite frontrunner for this Christmas' main course.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:48 pm 
And you never will.

I hope you know you can't just post something like that and not share the recipe.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:42 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

boyfriend wants a pasta dish! :) simple!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:11 am 
Flounceiad 2011

poopiebitch wrote:
I hope you know you can't just post something like that and not share the recipe.
Thankfully, I took notes, so I'll definitely post the recipe as soon as I get them deciphered, rationalized, and typed up!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:26 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

dandykins wrote:
We do something different for Christmas every year. One year it was all fried foods (once was enough, never again), but another year we had homemade pierogies, which were SO GOOD. This year I think we're going Italian - looks like gnocchi with sage butter sauce and probably "chicken" marsala with some kind of green vegetable. Not sure about dessert yet.

I definitely want to make pierogies for Christmas!! I'm not sure about the sauce and the fillings yet. Plus, I've never made pierogies, so I guess I should give a try before serving to the family!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:06 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I am stumped for what to make for Christmas this year! I am not going home (other side of the country this year - too expensive) so my boyfriend and I are having Christmas dinner with my friend's family. They are all big foodies and totally open to veganism (and my friend is a vegetarian). I volunteered to bring the vegan main and they are adjusting all of the side dishes for me. Any suggestions on what I should bring? I don't want to bring seitan or any fake meat, as I don't know how that would go over, and it needs to be able to be made in advance and brought with me (and re-heated a few hours later). So ppk - what do you think?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:43 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I'm going to make the corn tempeh pie (double the recipe) from Viva Vegan. This is one of my favorite recipes and always goes over well even with omni's. It would make a good potluck dish as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:31 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

after me trying to make the holidays with family simpler it ended up being a complete caramel cluster and now i have to go totwo family xmas' (both with my fam)

so im having extended family over at my house, my bro and his fam cant make it.
my mom is making a regular turkey and stuffing (in and out of bird) and then im making
roasted red pepper wraps from Vegan Table
roasted brussel sprouts and apples and onions from Vegan Table
black bean babycakes with pineapple salsa from Chloe's Kitchen
pumpkin pie brownie from VCTOYCJ
im gonna do a test run of the sweet potato cobbler from VCTOYCJ with the idea of making it again for this

then we have to go to my parents house on Xmas eve and im going to make the basil peach pie from VPITS and buffalo macaroni salad that i think i got the recipe off the interwebs somewhere and im not going to tell my nephews there is tofu in it

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:59 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I need ideas!

We're hosting Christmas at our house this year. I really, really hate repeating the same Thanksgiving foods for Christmas (3 times in November was enough, thank you), but my husband insists that we at least have mashed potatoes and stuffing (CARBS!). That's fine, I can compromise and have a few of the typical dishes, but I'm not sure what else we can make that will pair well with the potatoes and stuffing.

I'm thinking we will definitely have a big, fancy salad;maybe some roasted vegetables. I could really use some other ideas though!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:16 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Nebraskalaska wrote:
I need ideas!

We're hosting Christmas at our house this year. I really, really hate repeating the same Thanksgiving foods for Christmas (3 times in November was enough, thank you), but my husband insists that we at least have mashed potatoes and stuffing (CARBS!). That's fine, I can compromise and have a few of the typical dishes, but I'm not sure what else we can make that will pair well with the potatoes and stuffing.

I'm thinking we will definitely have a big, fancy salad;maybe some roasted vegetables. I could really use some other ideas though!
Might you be able to at least mix it up by subbing roasted or au gratin potatoes for mashed, and making a different kind of stuffing? I'm thinking it might be fun to make a retro '60s kind of meal with au gratin potatoes, green beans almondine, and the vegan ham from Caribbean Vegan, and maybe some fancy rolls. It still says "holiday," but mixes things up a bit so it's not a repeat of Thanksgiving.

http://caribbeanvegan.wordpress.com/201 ... ean-vegan/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:24 pm 

Or if you don't want to make the ham you could do the ham-tofurkey, it's super cute
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD101 ... e-intel-i5

Or I saw this Cashew and Pretzel Crusted Tofu with sweet onion relish that was kind of like thanksgiving but a little different

Or just instead of doing traditional bread stuffing do like a wild rice and cranberries stuffing in delicata squashes.

For Christmas we never repeat thanksgiving. I didn't realize that was the norm!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:31 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Desdemona wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:
I need ideas!

Might you be able to at least mix it up by subbing roasted or au gratin potatoes for mashed, and making a different kind of stuffing? I'm thinking it might be fun to make a retro '60s kind of meal with au gratin potatoes, green beans almondine, and the vegan ham from Caribbean Vegan, and maybe some fancy rolls. It still says "holiday," but mixes things up a bit so it's not a repeat of Thanksgiving.

Mashed potatoes are non-negotiable as they are my husbands favorite food and we don't eat them all that often because I don't like them.

I like the idea of a retro menu! I may be experimenting with vegan hams this weekend.

LazySmurf wrote:
Or if you don't want to make the ham you could do the ham-tofurkey, it's super cute

Or I saw this Cashew and Pretzel Crusted Tofu with sweet onion relish that was kind of like thanksgiving but a little different

Or just instead of doing traditional bread stuffing do like a wild rice and cranberries stuffing in delicata squashes.

Haha! I don't know if my guests would be thrilled if I served them Macbooks. Could be tasty with enough gravy?

I like your ideas! There are definitely more options out there than I thought.

For both of our families Christmas is usually just Thanksgiving Part II, only my family has a ham AND a turkey, and his family has prime rib. Fun. I'm really excited to have a vegan Christmas this year.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:35 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

We've never had traditional German christmas. As a child I remember eating sausages and potato salad from christmas (my boyfriend said that was so "working class") or just... whatever I really. I only really remember the cookies I was after.

I'm in charge of all the food. Last year we had lasagne, soup & salads from AFR. I think I'll make "pseudo-mexican christmas". My omni father really likes seitan and meat replacement stuff. My brother (a 1 year vegetarian) doesn't eat meat replacements OR beans, so I thought maybe tacos/tortillas was a good way to combine it, so every one could choose what they used themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:39 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Nebraskalaska wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:
I need ideas!

Mashed potatoes are non-negotiable as they are my husbands favorite food and we don't eat them all that often because I don't like them.

I like the idea of a retro menu! I may be experimenting with vegan hams this weekend.

LazySmurf wrote:

Haha! I don't know if my guests would be thrilled if I served them Macbooks. Could be tasty with enough gravy?

For both of our families Christmas is usually just Thanksgiving Part II, only my family has a ham AND a turkey, and his family has prime rib. Fun. I'm really excited to have a vegan Christmas this year.
Well, mashed taters go nicely with ham, too. I've already decided on tourtière for our main dish, but I am definitely making that ham over the holiday break when I have a spare day to tackle a project!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:04 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Im doing a combo of Middle Eastern and Indian foods thing...oh, and tiny tacos (lentil/rice/pico de gallo)...my non vegan family usually does an assortment of something on Christmas, but we do not repeat Thanksgiving--that would sort of suck IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:35 pm 

Nebraskalaska wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:
I need ideas!

LazySmurf wrote:

Lol wrong link http://www.meettheshannons.net/2012/03/ ... d.html?m=1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:13 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

We've been doing Mexican food the last couple of years, but sometimes we do lasagna or some sort of pasta.

We also do 3 dinners for the winter holidays - a winter solstice meal with my immediate family and close friends, Christmas Eve, and Christmas. So tacos for solstice, and Christmas Eve is going to be soup because it's easy, and my cousin is very pregnant, and she's hosting.

For Christmas Day, we are going to my lacto-ovo-veg aunt's. They are making raclette (broiled, melted stinky cheese served over potatoes with cornichons and pickled onions) which is their Christmas tradition. There will be potatoes and sweet potatoes and broccoli, and I was just going to make a vegan cheesy sauce for me and my kid to pour over it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:16 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

LazySmurf wrote:
Ermagerd this is so happening this weekend.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next