| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Christmas/winter holiday meal 2013
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:03 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Desdemona wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:
Ermagerd this is so happening this weekend.

It's so easy and adorable!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:55 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I found somewhere nearby that carries vegan pierogies! So that helped decide dinner plans.

Meat for omnis and gardein stuffed turk'y for me, with included stuffings. Gravies. Pierogies. Cauliflower and asparagus. Nanaimo bars for dessert.

I have to work until 5ish on Christmas Eve so I dunno what will happen for dinner that night. Maybe this. http://thesimpleveganista.blogspot.ca/2 ... sauce.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:20 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

catnip13 wrote:
We've been doing Mexican food the last couple of years, but sometimes we do lasagna or some sort of pasta.

do you have any recipe recommandations for the mexican food?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:22 am 
WRETCHED

VeganinBerlin wrote:
catnip13 wrote:
We've been doing Mexican food the last couple of years, but sometimes we do lasagna or some sort of pasta.

Veganomicon has an excellent enchilada recipe. Tamales are a traditional Christmas food so I highly recommend although I've never done a specific vegan recipe. I followed my grandmothers recipe substituting lard and meat stock.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:13 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Ooh, lots of good ideas here! I'm visiting my parents for the holidays and will be making some vegan components to my family's non-vegan dinner, but my mom's still undecided on what she's making so I've yet to nail anything down. I'm thinking of making the Pistachio Soup from Jerusalem as the appetizer if the flavors will work with the rest of the meal.

I did put together a quick little post of 10 holiday recipes on my blog, including:

Caponata Bruschetta
Sicilian Tempeh Stuffed Peppers
Creamy White Bean Dip
Pistachio Soup
Curried Coconut-Butternut Bisque
Basmati & Wild Rice w/ Chickpeas, Currants, & Herbs
Roasted Butternut Squash & Red Onion w/ Tahini & Za'atar
Chocolate Mousse w/ Smoked Salt
Grapefruit Ginger Scones
Spiced Pear Muffins w/ Black Pepper & Ginger

Post it here should you want to check it out: http://www.braisenwoman.com/2013/12/10-vegan-holiday-recipes-sure-to-please.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:28 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I was thinking of making this VegNews lasagna:

http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pag ... 4&catId=10

Anyone tried it?

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:43 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Quarantined wrote:
I was thinking of making this VegNews lasagna:

http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pag ... 4&catId=10

Anyone tried it?

It sounds awesome! I love macadamia cheese!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:25 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Last year my husband and I sat around in our underpants drinking beer and eating baguette, crackers, Daiya wedges, hummus, fancy olives, veg pate, and some other things I can't remember, and watching Star Trek.

I hope to repeat that this Christmas because it was the best thing ever.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:33 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

linanil wrote:
VeganinBerlin wrote:
catnip13 wrote:

Veganomicon has an excellent enchilada recipe. Tamales are a traditional Christmas food so I highly recommend although I've never done a specific vegan recipe. I followed my grandmothers recipe substituting lard and meat stock.

I make the tamales from Veganomicon every year for Christmas Eve. My family goes absolutely nutty for them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:52 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I'm going to my parent's house for dinner. I've got from the 23rd off so I'm going to try to convince my mom to let me make a bunch of the sides. Other than turkey and mashed potatoes they don't really have a solid "theme" so I think I could manage. I was thinking a simple lentil or split pea and sweet potato soup, Isa's quinoa caesar salad (without the tofu and with croutons because my 10-year-old brother is into cooking and likes making croutons), and some roasted brussels sprouts, possibly with shitake bacon. I've never made shitake bacon before but bought some mushrooms to try it out this week. For my main dish I was going to make some stew to mash into the potatoes. I've veganized this ground beef stew I used to eat as a kid and it's a pretty big hit with people so I'll make a bunch of that and have leftovers to eat at home. My mom will probably also make steamed broccoli because my little brother and sister (10 and 8) expect it and my sister doesn't like trying new things. Oh, and I thought I'd make some sort of cashew cheesecake although I'm sure my mom will make sour cream pie because my dad expects it. Hoping to not mention I've made a bunch of the meal so my extended family (aunts etc.) will eat it and be like, "oh this is good." If I say it's vegan they'll refuse it outright.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:34 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Desdemona wrote:
Ermagerd - I have no choice but to blow my own horn and say that the tourtière I just made is both amazeballs and a definite frontrunner for this Christmas' main course.
poopiebitch wrote:
I hope you know you can't just post something like that and not share the recipe.
Et voila!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com/2013 ... alien.html

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:01 pm 
And you never will.

Desdemona wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
Ermagerd - I have no choice but to blow my own horn and say that the tourtière I just made is both amazeballs and a definite frontrunner for this Christmas' main course.
poopiebitch wrote:
I hope you know you can't just post something like that and not share the recipe.
Et voila!

yessssssssss.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:07 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

poopiebitch wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
poopiebitch wrote:
Et voila!

yessssssssss.
I should note that you could sub the same amount of some other "meaty" product for the mashed-up meatballs if you don't have/like them. I tend to make them my go-to option for stuff like this because they smoosh up nicely, and I find both Gimme Lean and the TJ's "beef less" ground beef a bit greasy.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:18 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

The walnut & mushroom pâté from Vcon would be great as appetizers.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:00 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Okay, I have a new situation now for the 25th! We have three guests (two omnis, one vegan AND gluten free), myself (vegan and gluten-loving), and my husband (mostly vegan but likes "meat and potatoes" meals, so for example Bryanna's beefy seitan with gravy and super rich mashed potatoes).

I am cooking for all five of us, but I'm having a hard time with the gluten thing because I really wanted to make a stuffed seitan roast. I was thinking about making a huge pot of the v'con peanut and eggplant stew, but my guy doesn't really like eggplant and two guests don't much like spicy. Which also foils my plans of making a slew of Kittee Ethiopian testers because I like my Ethiopian food spicy and suck at injera but the one I buy locally isn't g-f, and same goes for Indian.

I'm thinking of maybe a Japanese spread because I adore Japanese food and all I'll have to invest in is some wheat-free tamari, but I feel like my omnis and husband might find it a little bit lacking.

My selfishness means that I will be sad if I spend all day in the kitchen and I don't get some rich, bold, and spicy flavours to serve. Maybe Korean? I'm not really hyped on the foods that are typically popular for winter holidays (yes I like thyme, but don't throw heaps of it into a lentil cake covered in puff pastry and call it dinner), so I hope I can go untraditional and still please everyone. The only thing that is for-sure on the list is roasted brussels sprouts, roasted delicata, jerusalem artichoke hazelnut pate from Extraveganza, and Kelly's apple cider cinnamon rolls for dessert. Could I throw in Korean-style tofu, kimchi, and bibimbap fixings and call that a weird but delicious hybrid meal?

Suggestions much appreciated! I pretty much have every cookbook.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:08 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

We are going to my cousin/aunt and uncle's house for dinner. My uncle is very nice and likes cooking, so there is always something decent for me to eat. Last year i brought a little pot of EB for bread, and had salad, green beans, and a texmexy casserole. I think i would like to bring something this year, too. I like the pierogies idea!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:15 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i think i may have gone a tad crazy with my menus but i have a bunch of different events coming up and here is what i am planning on making. we shall see if i actually end up making them all in the end.

12/21: my husband's birfday: German Chocolate Cake (Chloe's Kitchen)
12/22: Xmas party with extended fam at my house:
roasted brussel sprouts, apples, and onions (Vegan Table)
roasted red pepper wraps (Vegan Table)
black bean baby cakes (Chloe's Kitchen)
pumpkin pie brownies (VCIYCJ)

12/23: one of my dog's gotcha day: pb and oat dog cookies

Xmas Eve at my parents house:
basil peach pie (VPITS)
buffalo macaroni salad

Xmas day at home:
thai scramble for breakfast (IDI)
falafel sliders (Chloe's Kitchen)
Ranch Salad (IDI)

New Years
Spring Rolls with peanut dipping sauce (Vegan Table)
Potato Skins with avocado (Chloe's Kitchen)
Crispy MOnton and mandarin salad (Chloe's Kitchen)
mocha fudge almond cake (Chloe's desserts)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:18 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

vijita wrote:
Okay, I have a new situation now for the 25th! We have three guests (two omnis, one vegan AND gluten free), myself (vegan and gluten-loving), and my husband (mostly vegan but likes "meat and potatoes" meals, so for example Bryanna's beefy seitan with gravy and super rich mashed potatoes).

I am cooking for all five of us, but I'm having a hard time with the gluten thing because I really wanted to make a stuffed seitan roast. I was thinking about making a huge pot of the v'con peanut and eggplant stew, but my guy doesn't really like eggplant and two guests don't much like spicy. Which also foils my plans of making a slew of Kittee Ethiopian testers because I like my Ethiopian food spicy and suck at injera but the one I buy locally isn't g-f, and same goes for Indian.

I'm thinking of maybe a Japanese spread because I adore Japanese food and all I'll have to invest in is some wheat-free tamari, but I feel like my omnis and husband might find it a little bit lacking.

My selfishness means that I will be sad if I spend all day in the kitchen and I don't get some rich, bold, and spicy flavours to serve. Maybe Korean? I'm not really hyped on the foods that are typically popular for winter holidays (yes I like thyme, but don't throw heaps of it into a lentil cake covered in puff pastry and call it dinner), so I hope I can go untraditional and still please everyone. The only thing that is for-sure on the list is roasted brussels sprouts, roasted delicata, jerusalem artichoke hazelnut pate from Extraveganza, and Kelly's apple cider cinnamon rolls for dessert. Could I throw in Korean-style tofu, kimchi, and bibimbap fixings and call that a weird but delicious hybrid meal?

I think that with the varied dietary needs and food preferences your best bet would be a meal with an "assemble it yourself" nature. I'm thinking pho. I'm not too crazy about the pho broth in VV. It is very heavy on the cinnamon, but you might use it as a rough guideline. I'd probably do equal parts home made broth and a non-beef broth made from something good like Better than Bouillon or the cubes made by Edward & Sons. Provide rice noodles and/or bean thread noodles; VV Sizzling Grilled Seitan; purchased fried tofu puffs and/or baked or broiled tofu for the gluten free; maybe even tempeh cubes or strips for the adventurous; possibly shelled edemame; any steamed, roasted, or maybe even sauteed veggies (I like pumpkin cubes, mushrooms, cauliflower, diakon radish, pea pods, but not all at once!); raw baby spinach. Let each guest fill their bowl with their choice of noodles, top with their choice of protein and veggies, and then pour in the broth. Then of course there are the garnishes to choose from for adding on top: bean sprouts, sliced lime wedges, cilantro, slivered jalapenos, minced green onions, fried shallots, Sriracha, and I like to put out the bottles of soy sauce and rice vinegar too. You can make your bowl hot and spicy, others can go mild, you can have your seitan, others can make gluten free bowls.

Or you could do an assemble your own taco/burrito/tostada spread.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:23 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

We have a new scenario for Christmas, too. Usually we do immediate family on Christmas eve, including presents, and then grandma's house on the day of. As I mentioned, my sister-in-law and I are splitting duty on a mini-meal to bring to grandma's.

However, since she has other obligations with her boyfriends family and none of the rest of us do, we're switching our family present thing to Christmas evening, after grandma's, to cut down on her driving back and forth. The good news is, no one is going to try and make me eat Papa John's breadsticks! Yay! And we will have leftovers, but I would like something that I could pre-make and pop in the oven when we get back from grandma's, just to snack on. I was thinking sugar cookies, but I also want something savory. I was thinking spinach/artichoke dip (and obligatory tub of hummus) and maybe samosas? Are samosas something that gets gross when you freeze it?

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:26 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

vijita- don't you have Dirt Candy? Maybe you can experiment with one of those incredibly involved but awesome sounding recipes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:19 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We are going out for dosas. Lazy and delicious!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:07 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I meant the pho broth in VEW. I'm mixing my Terry books. It would be very odd for a Latin American cookbook to contain a pho recipe!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:23 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

VeganinBerlin wrote:
catnip13 wrote:

Tamales are ideal, traditional Christmas fare. We can get premade vegan ones from a couple of local sources, but homemade are always better. The easiest filling I know is frozen roasted corn mixed with canned green chilies, both from TJs. I use the masa recipe from Meatless Mexican Home Cooking. My other favorite fillings are spinach and mushroom, black bean sweet potato mole, and butternut squash with caramelized onions and chipotle.

I usually make tamales, beans, roasted butternut squash, cilantro-lime rice, guacamole, and a crunchy romaine, cabbage and carrot salad with avocado, and a mango-pumpkin seed dressing. We've done the churros from Viva Vegan as dessert. To go with it, I'll get corn tortillas and a couple of different salsas and chips.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:34 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Rhizopus Oligosporus wrote:
vijita wrote:

I think that with the varied dietary needs and food preferences your best bet would be a meal with an "assemble it yourself" nature. I'm thinking pho. I'm not too crazy about the pho broth in VV. It is very heavy on the cinnamon, but you might use it as a rough guideline. I'd probably do equal parts home made broth and a non-beef broth made from something good like Better than Bouillon or the cubes made by Edward & Sons. Provide rice noodles and/or bean thread noodles; VV Sizzling Grilled Seitan; purchased fried tofu puffs and/or baked or broiled tofu for the gluten free; maybe even tempeh cubes or strips for the adventurous; possibly shelled edemame; any steamed, roasted, or maybe even sauteed veggies (I like pumpkin cubes, mushrooms, cauliflower, diakon radish, pea pods, but not all at once!); raw baby spinach. Let each guest fill their bowl with their choice of noodles, top with their choice of protein and veggies, and then pour in the broth. Then of course there are the garnishes to choose from for adding on top: bean sprouts, sliced lime wedges, cilantro, slivered jalapenos, minced green onions, fried shallots, Sriracha, and I like to put out the bottles of soy sauce and rice vinegar too. You can make your bowl hot and spicy, others can go mild, you can have your seitan, others can make gluten free bowls.

Or you could do an assemble your own taco/burrito/tostada spread.

Great idea(s)!!! I think I might do pho. It's also totally perfect because duh, pho is awesome, it's easy to de-glutenize, and I can use up any veggies my CSA gives me next week. Win win win. There's actually a riff on pho in the Rebar cookbook that I've made before and it was awesome.

Smurfy, good call! I love Dirt Candy (to flip through) but I'm ashamed to say I haven't made much yet. I will give it a look today.

Thanks guys!

mbm, samosas freeze great, in my experience. You might want to try a pate or a vegan cheese or something too. Spinach and artichoke chip sounds great though. Oh god I could eat the shiitake out of that right now. I also really love the appies in Veganomicon.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:16 pm 
Hip Goiter

OH man you guys are amazing. I haven't had time to think about what to make and I kind of just realized i have a week! My family always has a big party at my parents' house on Christmas Eve, so I have lotsss to cook because everything else will be an animal (ugh). I think I want to make the Nirvana Enchiladas from Isa Does It. Mostly because I just watched the video and it's hilarious. Maybe a kale salad? I really want like butterscotch bars but I don't have a recipe or butterscotch extract. How else do you make them? Maybe I'll figure it out. Anyway, all of your menus sound wonderful. I kind of want a pho bar now! Maybe not for the party because it's like 60 people and that would get very messy, but right now I really want that.

Laughfrodisiac

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next