| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: subbing cashew butter for soaked cashews
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:25 am 
Tofu Pup

I have a problem when I try to keep cashews on hand to soak and use in salad dressing and other recipes. Giant mice (200#) eat them when I'm not looking. The cashew butter in the fridge is safe though, so I was wondering how much cashew butter to use in place of the soaked nuts, as the ingredients in both are just cashews, and we're going for a creamy consistency, I figure it should work just fine as a substitute, but I know it's not a 1:1 ratio.

thanks.

Post subject: Re: subbing cashew butter for soaked cashews
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:22 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I don't think it's too critical to be exact, but when I make nut butters, about 5 cups of raw nuts condense down to 2 cups of butter. My kitchen scale weighs 1 c of cashews as about 5 ounces. But if using butter you might need to add extra liquid to compensate for the water absorbed with soaked cashews.

And my question, when a recipe calls for a cup of nuts, you get a lot more weight from pieces vs. whole, so is the assumption we're using cheap pieces or deluxe whole?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:59 pm 
Tofu Pup

Thanks Jill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:34 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I've used cashew butter as a sub for soaked cashews in a pastry cream recipe and it always works well. I keep forgetting to experiment with it in other things.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:37 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

Jill wrote:
But if using butter you might need to add extra liquid to compensate for the water absorbed with soaked cashews.

And my question, when a recipe calls for a cup of nuts, you get a lot more weight from pieces vs. whole, so is the assumption we're using cheap pieces or deluxe whole?

I was also going to suggest that you might need to add extra water for the liquid that would have absorbed by the soaking cashews.
And, yes, I wonder too if it matters whether we are using whole or pieces. I don't seem to be able to get a deal by buying pieces though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:28 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Cheap is relative! But I usually spend about $2/lb less for organic pieces over whole. And often sub pepitas or sunflower seeds for cashews. But they are more compact than cashews (or walnuts) when whole, so my ratio and weight advice doesn't apply.

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]