| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why do the cookies from Veganomicon keep burning?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:53 pm 
Tofu Pup

I pretty much only make cookies around Christmastime, so it's kind of important to me that they come out when I do make them. Unfortunately, the last three recipes I've tried (all from Veganomicon) have all just been disasters. The latest one I tried was the Chewy Chocolate-Raspberry Cookies. I made the dough, heated the oven, and popped them in. I smelled something faintly burning after about five minutes, so I took them out and looked at them, but they weren't burning and the smell seemed to be coming from inside the oven, so I assumed it was some minor residue from the last time the oven was used, and put them back in. I let them go a little longer to make up for the time they were sitting out. When I took them out, the tops were done perfectly, but the bottoms were burned a solid charcoal.

So today I used up the rest of the ingredients and made another batch. This time I was much more careful. I kept the cookies small and uniform, watched the time exactly, and the same thing happened. The tops are soft and almost underdone. The bottoms are burned solid.

Why does this keep happening? These recipes all seem a little off (this one says it makes two dozen cookies, but the most I seem to get out of it is 18; also, there's not enough wet ingredients to incorporate all the flour, so I always have to add more to form the dough). Should they be baked for a shorter time? Lower temperature? Different pan? Why aren't the instructions for this recipe clearer?

Post subject: Re: Why do the cookies from Veganomicon keep burning?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:57 pm 
And you never will.

Do you have an oven thermometer? Most ovens don't run exactly to temp, and some can be waaaay off (my old one ran 25-40 degrees hotter than it said). It's a cheap investment and might be the problem.

Also, if the bottoms are burning and the tops are underdone, I wonder if your top heating element is working? It sounds like the bottom one might be running hot to bring the overall temp up and compensate for a non-working top element, which could cause burned bottoms and underdone tops.

And last! What kind of pan are you using, and are you using parchment/greasing it/something else?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:41 pm 
Built this city on rock and roll

I once had similar problems with baking cookies and it also turned out that my oven was way too hot. Like poopiebitch I would recomend to check the temperature with an oven thermometer. Or you could try to bake the cookies on an aluminium pan.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:15 am 
Tofu Pup

I have an oven thermometer. It was reporting the temperature as about 250° F, even when I had the temperature set to 450°. That's one of the reasons I thought I should keep the first batch in longer than usual.

I baked them on a baking sheet, sprayed down with canola oil.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:34 am 
Discovered unobtainium

With that kind of discrepancy (I think anything more than 20-50 degrees or so is unusual), you either have a very screwy oven or a very screwy thermometer. I would get some parchment paper and a new thermometer and try again.

The veganomicon almond anise biscotti and chocolate chocolate chip cookies have always been foolproof for me. I learned to bake with the biscotti recipes! I remember the raspberry chocolate chip as being a bit more finicky, but good.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:54 pm 
Moving To Sheepshead Bay

I don't think you can blame V'con. You have drastic differences between your oven and thermometer. One or both of them are wildly off. Without being sure which one and by how much, you are making up longer cooking temperatures. Any cookie recipe would not fare well under these conditions. Do you ever use your oven for other things besides cookies? And if so, how do those things turn out? Just one more idea beyond the good advice you've already been given. If your cookies are mostly burning on the bottom, you might have your oven rack set to close to the bottom of the oven. Those are usually removable, with several heights you can set them at.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:25 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

they also make silicone cookie sheet liners that will protect the bottoms of your cookies from getting too much heat if it comes to that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:54 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't know if this is dumb, but maybe raising the rack could help too?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:51 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

catsclaw wrote:
I have an oven thermometer. It was reporting the temperature as about 250° F, even when I had the temperature set to 450°. That's one of the reasons I thought I should keep the first batch in longer than usual.

Are you sure your oven thermometer is measuring Fahrenheit and not Celcius?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:09 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

poopiebitch wrote:

Also, if the bottoms are burning and the tops are underdone, I wonder if your top heating element is working? It sounds like the bottom one might be running hot to bring the overall temp up and compensate for a non-working top element, which could cause burned bottoms and underdone tops.

my mom's oven is exactly like this and has the same results.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:12 am 
Inflexitarian

kaerlighed wrote:
catsclaw wrote:

Are you sure your oven thermometer is measuring Fahrenheit and not Celcius?

Oh, I like this answer. Per google, 250 celsius is about 480 fahrenheit.