| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Enough Snobby Joes to feed all of Mordor!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:45 pm 
Tofu Pup Forever

Hello!

The question: Any advice on making a ginormous amount of the Snobby Joe recipe from Veganomicon? Preferably in some fashion that can be made ahead of time?

The context: OmniBoyfriend has become OmniFiancee- wee! Being neither one of us especially traditional, we're planning a courthouse shindig and, some time later, a big, casual dinner/dance party at a rec hall of some kind. The groom-to-be has requested getting bbq for he and the fellow the meat eaters, while I'm thinking the Snobby-Joe recipe for myself and the rest of the vegheads (since it's delicious and would go nicely with some of the picnic-y sides we're thinking about having.)
We're not planning on inviting a bunch of people, however the split between omnivorous and vegan/vegetarians is pretty even, plus, we all know what happens when there's a vegan option available- "what's this? Something delicious and plant based! I must eat it all" said every omnivore at every potluck ever. SO I'm thinking I should make at least enough to feed half of Mordor.

My initial thoughts are to make quintuple batches of the lentils and sauce ahead of time, can or freeze them (does anyone know if they freeze/reheat well?) then chuck the whole thing into several crockpots the morning of to gently warm up/keep warm.

Does anyone have any experience making large amounts of either lentils or sauce or just large amounts of food in general? My cooking experience so far has been limited to one or two people, but given our limited budget and desire to keep the whole thing as informal/chill as possible I'd like to avoid caterers as much as possible.

Thanks all!
Cat

Post subject: Re: Enough Snobby Joes to feed all of Mordor!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:52 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

First you say all of Mordor, and now it's only half?! Think of all the poor, starving Orc children.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:50 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I haven't made the snobby joes but here's a general fact about freezing. Whatever goes in perfectly cooked comes out relativrly mushy. Ifitwas me, I'd probably just prep it and leave it in the fridge for best texture. You could still do it up to a week ahead that way.

http://toocheapforpinenuts.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:35 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I think the snobby joes would be fine for freezing. you wouldn't have to make the sauce separately. But, it would also be pretty easy to make a huge batch in a big pot maybe 2 days before and then reheat in crockpots. you wouldn't even need to freeze.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:01 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

Mars, you're right... I started out wanting to feed all of Mordor, convinced myself that half was enough- but their sad, evil Orc eyes are just breaking my heart- All of Mordor it is!

Ah yes, the freezer-bean-mush factor. Neglected to think of that, thanks for the head's up!