| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 134  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:22 pm 
Dead by dawn

I have the women's version of these CEP ones: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/CEP120/mens-cep-progressive-single-compression-calf-sleeve/

I don't know how they compare to any other, but I like 'em just fine. I also have a couple pairs of CEP socks too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:14 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Nebraskalaska wrote:
wooo mooo! Body Glide works really well for me for preventing chafing.

This week really did me in. I wasn't expecting marathon training to be so intense this soon! My feet are wrecked. I've been having bouts of pain on the ball of my left foot and the outside of my right foot. Today the pain in my right foot got really bad. RICE + ibuprofen appears to be helping though. I already skipped a workout this week and will skip my run tomorrow and do yoga instead.

Other than that, I've just been feeling super run down. I've probably need to take a more active roll in my post-workout recovery. I definitely need to be eating better; more carbs from whole foods and more protein, less sugar and fat. I should also be foam rolling, stretching, and switching out my shoes more.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling great.
I'm feeling run down too and fed up. Not been able to run because of my torn calf. I'm feeling so tired all the time too so I've up'd my veggies n protein. I want to be better now. Maybe some yoga would be helpful for me?

Well done on the 13.1 Moo.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:41 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I didn't realize I had chafing under my arms until I put on my tea tree oil deodorant this morning - ouch!

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:08 pm 
Chip Strong

Yes, that's pretty much how I noticed, too! Thanks for the tips. I'll probably just get some body glide. I wouldn't have thought something like that would be vegan!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:50 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Went for a run today and ended up at the beach by accident! A nice mistake. 6-miler today.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:38 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I saw a red-tailed hawk on my run tonight. It was flying pretty low to the street and I saw it land on a street light right before I passed under it. Amazing.

I also sweated out one of my ear buds. Is my right ear more sweaty than my left? Hmmm.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:44 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

The outside of my right foot was feeling better, so I attempted my long run today. I made it 3 miles and had to stop because the pain was so bad. When I got home I did an Epsom salt soak and my right foot started to feel better, but now my left foot is hurting in the same way my right was, but way worse. I think my new shoes are the culprit, which stinks becauwlse they're past their return date.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:47 am 
A Bad Person

monkeytoes wrote:
I have the women's version of these CEP ones: http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/CEP120/mens-cep-progressive-single-compression-calf-sleeve/

I don't know how they compare to any other, but I like 'em just fine. I also have a couple pairs of CEP socks too.

Thanks, monkeytoes! I'll check them out!

Yesterday, I ran six miles and I felt forking great. It wasn't particularly cool out but it wasn't blazing hot. I wasn't absolutely soaking in sweat. My shirt didn't chafe my nipples. The hills did not kill me. I finished faster than my pace time. It was a perfectly pleasant run.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:09 am 
Married to the wolfman

I'm in Austin for work, and I dragged my asparagus out of bed at 7 a.m. for a run (after arriving at my hotel at 4 a.m.) because it's supposed to hit 100F by like 11 a.m. and yeah no thanks. It was already like 78 when I went out and 300% humidity. Why did I not know it was so humid here? Sheets of water pretty much fell off of me the entire time. Preeeeetty gross.

Other than that it was neat though. I love running in new places even if they're not scenic. (The back of a Whole Foods? An expressway that mysteriously has a sidewalk next to it? Oh boy, show me more!)

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:46 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

noooo, my left foot is so screwed up. I hope it's better in time for my long run this weekend.

c&s, good job running in the Texas heat! It can be brutal.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:31 pm 

Yikes Nebraska, take care of yourself!

c&s you're such a trooper!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:22 am 
Tofu Pup

Is supplement good to improve stamina in running?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:29 am 

My 4 mile run today was awful. My legs felt heavy, I was slow, and I had cramps and just generally did not have a good time.

On the positive side, July was my first month running over 100 miles in 2 years!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:37 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

My feet still hurt and I am sad. It might be time to pay another trip to the physical therapist.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:46 am 
Married to the wolfman

High five on the 100 lobster! You're killing it! (In a humane and vegan way.)

Nebraska, sorry to hear your foot pain is continuing.

Speaking of foot pain, I got the CRAZIEST blisters in Texas. Not from my running shoes-- from my em effing work shoes, which are great for standing but apparently not so much for walking long distances in heat and humidity. I was so happy to be home and running yesterday... it was "only" 92F in San Jose (the part where I work anyhow) and the humidity wasn't bad at all and I ran like seriously 1:30 min/mile faster than I did in Texas.

After saying I was never going to do it EVER, I signed up for a full marathon. A trail run. Skyline to the Sea in October. This may prove insane but it sounded like fun and with an 8 hour cutoff I think I'll be okay...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:59 pm 

Oh C&S that trail sounds like so much fun!! I was planning a hiking trip on it a few years ago but it never happened. Good luck!!

Nebraska how annoying. It's been awhile, it's probably best to go back to the PT and make sure it's nothing serious?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:33 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

C&S that sounds awesome. Lobsteriffic congrats on the 100 miles!

My main goal right now is to regularly run. I started my plan July 1 and I made it the whole month going 4 times a week. Yay!

Tonight I really didn't want to go. I told myself I would put on my running clothes and walk to the park anyway and if I still didn't want to when I got there I would just walk. When I got to the park, I went ahead and started running but felt awful so I told myself that if I still felt bad at the end of one mile I would stop. At the end of one mile I was fine and I managed to complete the whole run I had on my plan. I feel so much better now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:35 pm 
Chip Strong

Nooo I'm so sorry Nebraska! You have plenty of time to get better and stay in shape for the marathon!

I'm up to 14.5 miles! Wooo! I run by a freezing cold river and I discovered that taking my shoes off and soaking up to my thighs after my runs feels sooo good on my joints. I have also been premedicating with ibuprofen before my long runs... Is that cheating?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:46 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Be careful with taking NSAIDs before a log run! It's not recomended because it hasn't been studied how they'll effect your body during endurance events. Also, they obviously numb pain, so they can lead to injury since you might think an ache is not as serious as it really is.

That said, I definitely take some ibuprofen after a run if I'm feeling extra sore afterwards. Seems to really help not feeling like crepe later in the day.

I love your idea about using the river in place of an ice bath! One of the places I run is also along a river, and there is a place that is really shallow people swim in, so I've been thinking about doing the same.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:48 pm 
Dead by dawn

mooo wrote:
Nooo I'm so sorry Nebraska! You have plenty of time to get better and stay in shape for the marathon!

I'm up to 14.5 miles! Wooo! I run by a freezing cold river and I discovered that taking my shoes off and soaking up to my thighs after my runs feels sooo good on my joints. I have also been premedicating with ibuprofen before my long runs... Is that cheating?

I have been wading into cold lakes after long runs and rides every chance I get! Also, ice baths SUCK, but they're awesome for recovery... I think just running a cold bath and skipping the ice would be almost as good and way less painful.

I've read some warnings against premedicating before workouts. Something about increased blood flow and the potential for kidney damage. I don't remember any specifics (like whether they were even talking about ibuprofen.) Worth looking into, though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:08 am 
Married to the wolfman

Butternut wrote:
Tonight I really didn't want to go. I told myself I would put on my running clothes and walk to the park anyway and if I still didn't want to when I got there I would just walk. When I got to the park, I went ahead and started running but felt awful so I told myself that if I still felt bad at the end of one mile I would stop. At the end of one mile I was fine and I managed to complete the whole run I had on my plan. I feel so much better now.

This is me like 70% of the time. Good job getting out there!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:19 am 

coldandsleepy wrote:
Butternut wrote:

This is me like 70% of the time. Good job getting out there!

Me too!!

14 miler this morning. I felt good except the last 2 miles were a bit of a struggle but it was getting super hot out and I was in the full sun.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:18 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I went to the physical therapist this morning and apparently my new shoes caused both of my cuboids to rotate out of place! He did some chiropractor magic and put them back where they were supposed to be! Yay! He said it was one of the most bizarre, extreme cases he'd ever seen (I'm sort of proud!). I've got the green light to start running whenever I feel up to it and might be able to do my long run this weekend! Hooray!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:20 pm 

yay!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:01 pm 
Married to the wolfman

How weird Nebraska! I'm glad it was something identifiable and fixable though!

Yesterday I ran 20 miles continuously for the first time! I'd done 18 a couple times recently and decided to just go for it. Around mile 16 I was like "aaaaaah" but then two miles later I was like "nah I'm fine" and then had a pretty good last two miles to close it out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3337 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131 ... 134  Next