| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: CSA 2014
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:35 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I love this thread! We've belonged to summer and winter CSA's for about six years now and I always love to see what people are getting in other parts of the country and what they're making!

Moon wrote:
Tomato, strawberries, zucchini, red lettuce, rainbow chard, huge pile of green beans.

I'm excited for the beans, haven't had them in a while. Beyond that I'm feeling pretty uninspired with this basket. It's been a few weeks so I guess I can do the IDI chard fusilli again, but I'm hoping to find something else to make. The zucchini is a good size too so I also need to come up with something for that.

I tend to get really uninspired when we get tons of zucchini and summer squash over and over - I don't love it and the big ones especially are rough to get through. I've made these zucchini fritters twice already this year (http://kokoskitchen.com/condiments/zucc ... uten-free/) and they are soooo good, and really really easy. If you've got the time make the basil cashew cream to go with them too! The recipe uses up a pretty large amount of zucchini and seems pretty flexible. The first time I made them I only had zucchini and stuck to the amount listed in the recipe. The second time it was half and half with yellow summer squash and I think I used 2 pounds total without altering the amounts of other ingredients, and they still came out great, the recipe just yielded a little more. Since you've got tomatoes you could also make the garlicky zucchini ribbons and tomato salad on the ppk blog!

Also! One more suggestion - if you're feeling meh about the green beans you could try roasting them as a side. I haven't done this yet but I saw a recipe for them a while ago and it sounded so good. I'm anxious for us to finally get some to give it a try.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:50 am 
Married to the wolfman

Last week's box went really quickly... we have two little mei quin chois left and a couple scallions, and that's it. The padrons we fried and ate straight up, the lettuce went into a dinner salad with the galapagos dressing from Salad Samurai, the kale went into the grilled kale & spicy lentils from Salad Samurai, the strawberries went in our mouths and I snuck a few into my overnight oats before anyone else ate them, the carrots were snacked upon, the scallions went in things here and there because I keep forgetting to buy garlic. Some of the mei quin chois went into a lazy lunch soup with kimchi and couscous. The broccoli went into pasta with nooch and EB and then we ate some of it raw too.

Here is what we are slated to get this week:

Strawberries
Filet Beans - this is good because my garden beans just aren't going this year (yet?)
Purplette Onions
Bunched Spinach
White or Purple Cauliflower or Cabbage - please not cabbage! I have a couple of cauliflower recipes I've been wanting to make, so that would be perfect.
Mustard Greens - will probably end up in a lunch salad or some sort
Red Leaf Lettuce
Mystery - as long as it's not beets or fennel (still burnt out!) I'll be happy. Actually I'd be okay with beets again too. The ultimate win would be more padron peppers to gorge myself on.

I also ordered a half flat of strawberries because 1) strawberries and 2) they are an amazing price. I am now mildly panicking about the onslaught of strawberries but... I'll get through it somehow. Maybe freezer jam.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:14 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

If you're looking for a zucchini recipe, this soup is Ah-MAY-zing!

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2009/09/cr ... -soup.html

I try to make it several times each summer and freeze some at the end of the season. It feels light and healthy, but tastes like a decadent, comforting mid-winter soup.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:26 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

oh, zula! that sounds really good. i've put the recipe in my queue. thanks!

we made the fauxlafel from vegan sandwiches, and managed to use up one of the cucumbers. only 4 more left!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:35 am 
Baking In The Flavor

supercarrot wrote:
i signed up for my first CSA too. i'm really nervous, because i dislike quite a few things. i am wondering if this might push me past my uncomfortable point with some veggies.

such as:
beets. no thank you. sweet dirt makes me nauseous.
radishes (although i got some mild radish and daikon seeds because they're awesome companion plants. we'll see if they're mild enough to actually eat)
quite a few greens. (hello bitter city)
fennel (ok, maybe i could get past the xylem/phloem if i cut it up into teeeeny tiny pieces. i'm a texture weirdo too.)
i'm sure there are others. i guess i'll pop in here when it comes up.

i do love that my pickup spot is just a bike ride away! a few years ago the closest spot was over a 15 minute drive away. (each way)

Also - I'm super late to the party with this thread, but I had to reply to this post of yours, supercarrot! Pretty much all of the things you list here are things I don't/didn't like and I had the same worries when we started our CSA! I've learned over the years that our CSA has kind of forced me to develop at least a little bit of a taste for some things that I always hated (except for salad turnips. We tried not once, but twice to cook and eat them. Blech. These we always put in the swap/donation box.)

I was always a mega radish hater, and I've learned just this summer that if they're sliced SUPER thinly (I use a mandolin) that I love them in salads! We keep using them in the salads in Salad Samurai, plus in that dragon noodle salad in Isa Does it. And then last night I added them to the farmer salad even though they weren't in the recipe, which is a huge development for me. I also used a bunch in a quick refrigerator pickle recipe I found online where you just throw them in the jar whole. The pickling really mellowed the bite out.

I'm also a beet hater. I've really tried, but, ugh. I've dealt with the beets by first of all, pawning them off on my husband (in our winter CSA we got so. many. beets.) I would roast them cut up with other root vegetables and he would take them for lunch to have with salad or on the sides of things. I also canned them pickled a few times to give as gifts, and I ended up being able to use them this way in a marinade for a tempeh rueben recipe that's in the vegan sandwiches save the day cookbook (it was amazing!). Also, while I've found that Isa's beet burger recipe is still a little too beet-ey for me, I LOVE the one in Joni's the best veggie burgers on the planet cookbook. I shred beets we get to keep in the freezer to have on hand for them.

Fennel I'm pretty meh on and I've made a fennel-onion jam (that wasn't safe for canning) with them before where you basically just slowly caramelize all of the ingredients together. It doesn't taste like fennel anymore, just delicious caramelized deliciousness. I also hate parsnips, and these either get the roasted veggies for my husband's lunch treatment, or I chop them up and stick them in the freezer to have for making vegetable broth. Oh and more radishes - I used our daikon last year to make the pickle part of those tofu scramble bahn mi's in vegan eats world. So good!

And greens - I like most that we get but I HATE chard. I've tried, and it's just not for me. This gets pawned off on my husband too - he eats eggs and usually uses it in a frittata to take to work for lunch. If you have another person in your household who likes stuff you don't, this makes things all the easier, obviously.

Anyways, mega post. I feel ya on the veggie dislikes!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:57 am 

we're taste bud twinsies!

i noticed most of the ickiness of radishes and beets were in the skins. if i peel them, they're much easier to handle.
i totally forgot about parsnips. yep. gross. (maybe i'll try it again and peel them first.)
the fennel i had a few weeks ago wasn't horrible. i cut across the xylem and baked them. it worked.

i used to dislike chard and spinach, but these days i can handle at least chard. (spinach gives me a funky coating on my teeth.) just last night i mixed chard with kale. it was a good combo.
i'm glad we're no longer getting cilantro.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:59 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

thank god the greens onslaught has abated for at least this week. no chard or kale this week.

this week:

more lettuce
green beans
blueberries
zucchini
summer squash
many many cucumbers
a tomato
CORN
beets (chiogga and forono)
BLUEBERRIES!

and then i didnt actually go to pick up the box this week but from what my parents were saying it sounded like they had some choices for the last thing and they picked radishes for them and got us some POTATOES!

thank god for CSA this year. i should post a picture of our vegetable garden. it is literally trashed. apparently there is a bunny invasion in the neighborhood and they ate all our lettuce. our beans i planted way too late so they never flowered. we have potatoes we never even planted growing (i guess leftovers from last year that i missed harvesting) something ate most of our cukes, (bugs that is not the bunnies) our pepper plants all look nasty though it appears we might get some jalapenos, and we have one big thing growing that based on the leaves looks like a tomato plant sooooo i guess again something from last year left in the soil??

my tomato planters on the deck however are doing awesome. im going to get a fork ton of tomatoes this year!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:48 pm 

thank goodness we're not getting more cucumbers this week. i harvested onions from the front yard. that combined with the onions that i purchased 2 weeks ago, i'm a bit nervous. the green beans in the garden are slowing down, and the tomatoes are picking up. the chard in the front yard (from not having been harvested in 1.5 months due to the CSA loading us up big time) is glorious! i only needed to cut 6 giant leaves for a big haul last night.

we had veggie soup, eggplant curry, bubble and squeak, and veggie loaded pasta. (i think one day we also had kale with hotdogs. [i think i am noticing a trend.] more veggie soup tonight

tomorrow i pick up:
CABBAGE
FRESH GARLIC
PEPPERS
GRAPE TOMATOES
SLICING TOMATOES
RED ONIONS
EGGPLANT
KALE

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:00 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Ugh, I won't be able to grab mine today because of work and will have to wait until tomorrow. Sad.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:06 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

We were supposed to get eggplant today, but looks like we'll be waiting another week or so for that. We did get:

cauliflower
broccoli
potatoes
basil
onions
lettuce
zucchini
blueberries
plums

I'm envious of all of you who are getting so many greens. Other than lettuce, we've been pretty light on greens so far.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:12 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I forgot to post the previous 2 weeks!

First:
~Bag of Small, Sweet Peppers
~Brandywine Tomato
~Mr. Stripey Tomato
~Pattypan Squashes
~Cherry Tomatoes
~Zucchini
~Cucumbers
~Chocolate Mint
~Corn

Looooved all those Tomatoes!

Last Week:
~Green Beans
~Okra
~a lone Eggplant
~1 lb. Small, Sweet Peppers
~Poblanos
~Zucchini
~Crookneck Squash
~Tomatoes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:54 am 
Married to the wolfman

We decided to give a fruit CSA a shot along with our vegetable CSA and got the first box yesterday! I was worried that it might be kinda small because uh, I eat a lot of fruit left to my own devices... but I shouldn't have worried because a single week's share had 30 pieces of fruit in it. Dang son.

It included:

Peaches: a single Summer Lady peach (snapped up by one of my kids instantly; he said it was great. It was incredibly beautiful, so I believe him); several Opal peaches

Pluots: 2 Dapple Dandy pluots and a bunch of Flavor King pluots.

Nectarines: a ton (like 15) of Fantasia nectarines.

Ugh, I love stone fruit. No plans for any of it besides eating the crepe out of it.

Vegetable CSA today! We're expecting:

Strawberries
Romano beans
Baby leeks - might go right into soup, but the next couple of days are supposed to be hot
Chard!
Broccoli or cabbage - fingers crossed for broc, otherwise it's finally sauerkraut time
Two types of lettuce - salad ahoy

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:15 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i love the stone fruit salad from the PPK blog. ive made it with both peaches and nectarines i believe.

this week (from memory)

beets
corn
blueberries
so many cucumbers
lettuce
green pepper
tomato
japanese eggplant
1 white eggplant
summer squash
zucchini

i think that's it.
i was sick all last week and BabyPunk has been too so we're a bit backed up onthe ol produce.

i dont know what to do with the Japanese eggplant and the white eggplant. i have 1 of each and they are both smallish.

we have a backlog of beets now so im gonna see what my husband thinks of making the beet burgers from Isa Does It

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:24 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

we also got green beans and more importantly i just remembered for our "pick something out of these boxes" pick i got a PURPLE pepper.
ive seen many different colored peppers but never a purple pepepr!
it was deep purple like an eggplant.

i feel like ive been living a sheltered life

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:44 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

My box is completely depressing. 5 smallish cucumbers, 4 tomatoes (they're a nice size, at least), a smallish summer squash, some potatoes, a red pepper and peas in the pod. At least when they throw a broccoli or head of lettuce it fills up the box.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:16 pm 

i felt that this week too. but you're right. almost everything in the box was a dense food.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:54 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

what can i do with a fork ton of cucumbers?

im gonna pickle some but still will have lots

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:59 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Ooh thanks for the stone fruit salad idea. That sounds really good. C&S that's so much fruit! I'm jealous!

LP, do you like cucumber salad? I can eat about 5 lbs in one sitting. Or a chilled cucumber soup? And for the Japanese eggplant, those are the long skinny ones right? I think they're really good stir fried with a brown sauce.

We got a pretty good box this week:
Honeydew
Mini seedless watermelon
Red plums
Valencia oranges
Green grapes
Yellow nectarines
Blueberries
Red pluot
Slicing tomatoes
Yellow heirloom tomatoes
Gypsy peppers
Shishito peppers
Carrots
Broccoli
Zucchini
Rainbow chard
Lettuce

I have to look up what to do with Shishito peppers. I've never seen them before!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:38 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Again, I no longer have a CSA, but I do have a twice a week farmers' market that I frequent, and I found a farmer's speech about his fennel (in desperation, it was five minutes before closing) so charming that I had to buy some, even though I'm not wild about it! I also purchased: scapes, new garlic, red onions, some weird lettuce, carrots, portobellos, English peas, a cilantro plant that I've planted in my garden, and grape tomatoes. Oh and blueberries!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:49 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Cantaloupe
two small heads of lettuce
green bell pepper
jalapeno
several big patty pan squash and a few crook-neck squash
10 tomatoes of different varieties
garlic
sage
3 cucumbers
3 chinese-style (??) eggplants
huge bag of thin "french" green beans

I made the zuchinni fritters and cucumber/cashew dipping sauce from veganomicon and used up a good amount of things from this box! Other things I've been into:
eggplant torta sandwich from Viva Vegan and a quick tomato sauce using toasted walnuts, basil, garlic, and a few tomatoes. yum!

Excited to get more into the "deep summer" veggies though :) Every year is just a little different from the year before, and I am missing all my non-green beans and gumbo/ratatouille boxes :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:12 pm 

we took advantage of all the onions and the green peppers to make philly mushroom "steak" sandwiches. 3 nights of those. :-)
we made another curry with the eggplant, carrots and potatoes and zucchini.
last night we had cabbage and field roast sausages (apple sage)
the kale we probably ate along another hot dog. :-) (hey, they're easy)
had the tomatoes on tofurky sammiches.
and we finally finished up the cucumbers in cucumber sammiches.

tomorrow i pick up:
BEETS
(more) FRESH GARLIC (maybe i'll set these out to cure so i can plant them in my garden. i assume we'll be getting cured garlic later, but i don't want to take a chance just in case we don't.)
PEPPERS
GRAPE TOMATOES
RED ONIONS (the e-mail said they're fresh salad onions. i need to google this.)
EGGPLANT
POTATOES
KALE
MELON one of the following varieties: Charentais - Savor, Escorial, Sivan / Tuscan-type - Magnifienza. (i'm excited for any of these i hope i get a different variety each week so i can save the seeds, even though they're F-1.)
SQUASH
HOT PEPPERS
CHARD
SLICING TOMATOES

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:25 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

id love to get CSA garlic but im not sure its a thing around here. generally the garlic around here we plant in the fall and harvest in the spring. but then again we didnt expect beets this early soooooo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:28 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Last week's CSA pickup:

~Cliantro
~Celebrity Tomatoes
~Small Sweet Peppers
~Okra
~Yellow Squash
~Cucumbers
~Baby Onions

This was our last Summer CSA. They take a month off, then pick back up in Sept and continue through the end of October. We're planning to participate in the Fall one as well. It's kind of funny because it starts off with mostly the same stuff, tomatoes, peppers and so forth, then transitions into greens then fall veg.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:53 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Much better box this week!

Green leaf lettuce, cauliflower, peas, red onion, garlic, big bunch of beets, carrots (quite a few) and raspberries.

I still have potatoes and two cucumbers from last week! So I'm well stocked now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:01 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

this week:

corn
blueberries
one white eggplant
one Japanese eggplant
one globe eggplant
tomatoes
so many forking cucumbers
lettuce
zucchini
summer squash
green pepper
arugula
then i got some potatoes for our free choice.

my dad sent me a text and was like NO MORE CUCUMBERS so when i picked up our box i took out three huge cukes and put them in the take it or leave it box only to get home to find a buttload of pickling cukes hidden at the bottom. i guess ill be making pickles this weekend

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 197 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next