| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Milk for Oatmeal
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:00 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have been having issues with oatmeal since I stopped drinking milk about a decade ago. The different plant milks all absorb differently into oatmeal. Soymilk never absorbed quite right leaving me with soupy oatmeal, and soymilk gives me gas so I stopped using it. Then I switched to rice milk and it was much better, all thick and creamy without liquid floating around, but rice milk has so much sugar! so I switched to unsweetened almond milk, and again, it doesn't absorb into the oatmeal well. I use the same kind of oats (old fashioned) and the same proportions (2:1 milk:oats) and the same cooking method (5 minutes at 50% power) every single time! If I microwave for more than 5 minutes with the almond milk, it just explodes everywhere. I know I could use water, but it isn't as yummy. What liquid do you guys use for oatmeal? How do you cook it? Why does it matter what sort of milk I use?!

Post subject: Re: Milk for Oatmeal
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:40 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

i usually just make really thick oatmeal with water (same ratio, just cook it for a really long time) and then i add a splash of almond milk or soy milk right before eating. always worked well for me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:44 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I'm guessing it's the various sugar contents of the milks and something to do with diffusion/osmosis. But I don't ever make oatmeal with milk, only with water and then add soy or almond milk or even a little soy creamer after it's cooked and it usually soaks right in after a few stirs.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:46 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I use almond milk or coconut milk, and I make it on the stove. It gets very creamy and it's easy to control the creaminess...to catch that moment between soupy and glue. It probably takes about the same time as it would take you in the microwave, but I do keep an eye on it and stir a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:52 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I like using chocolate almond milk (instead of adding cocoa powder), and I soak the thick rolled oats overnight in the fridge, along with chia seeds and flax seeds. The chia will suck up the liquid and make like an oatmeal-pudding. It's really delightful. Got the basic recipe from Oh She Glows and have been playing around with it for the last month or so: http://ohsheglows.com/2010/04/08/easy-v ... ight-oats/.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:23 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I cook it with water, then add milk after, too. I also like the overnight oat method, in which case I start with almond milk.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:31 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Angelina wrote:
I use almond milk or coconut milk, and I make it on the stove. It gets very creamy and it's easy to control the creaminess...to catch that moment between soupy and glue. It probably takes about the same time as it would take you in the microwave, but I do keep an eye on it and stir a lot.

This, although I always use almond milk. It's so much easier to control the creaminess of it on the stove, and it really takes no more time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:45 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I cook it with water and I've never added milk of any sort. Am I missing out? I love, no--ADORE, oatmeal and I've never found it lacking without milk(s). Have you tried it that way? Of course this may be a completely asinine question since people know what they like and what they don't, but just in case...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:24 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I make mine in the microwave with the minimum amount of water suggested and usually 15 seconds longer, so it's thick. Then I add unsweetened almond milk (and raisins, coconut, cinnamon and walnuts) to make it creamy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:32 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Have you tried making it with water and then stirring in some smooth nut butter? I find that makes a very creamy bowl of oatmeal.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:33 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I like to mash up a banana as I'm making it. It adds a little banana flavor (which I like, not sure if you would) but it also gives it a nice creamy texture. I usually make mine on the stove top with unsweetened almond milk, but I've made them in the microwave with water and then added a bit of almond milk at the end.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:43 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

We don't even cook it! We use large flake or quick oats, add 2 parts boiling water, and let it sit. After a few minutes it will be nice and thick. We then mash up a banana and mix it in which makes it creamier & sweet. Sometimes we add a splash of soymilk.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:05 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I like cooking it in milk for the extra calcium and stuff. I also don't have the stomach to prep ahead. It'd probably just end up sitting in the fridge soaking for a week and I'd throw it away because I never felt up to eating it. I could do it on the stovetop; it's just another pot to wash... unless of course I ate it OUT of the pot. That sounds a bit much like college dorm living...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:47 am 
Chip Strong

I always use steel cut oats, 3:1 milk:oats ratio and I use almond milk most of the time, but sometimes soy. If it's too soupy I just take the lid off and cook off the excess liquid when the oats are done.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:19 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

If you have a kettle you can just heat the water and pour enough on the oats to cook em and then add the rest as almond milk or some such to make it creamy...

-alice1drland