| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Monterey, CA and area
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:39 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Hi everyone,

I'm heading to Monterey, CA for a week or so at the end of the month and wondering what we should check out food-wise. I've done some searches but there doesn't seem to be many vegan options---is this true? Are there vegan friendly restaurants that we should check out? thanks for your help!

Jill

Post subject: Re: Monterey, CA and area
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:41 pm 
Nailed to the V

I was just there!
My sweetie and i really loved Paprika's Cafe. Super fresh, several vegan options, and vegan baklava, which I'd never had before :) The owner was really sweet, too. The place is teeny-tiny!

We liked Julia's in Pacific Grove.We went for the prix fixe menu on Sunday. The bread and hummus they give you as a starter will bring tears to your eyes. The salad was fabulous, the main course was okay, and the dessert was AWESOME. It was worth the price, even if the main was a lil' disappointing. Everything was vegan that night, but I'm not sure if it's all vegan, all the time.

Ambrosia's buffett (Indian) was delicious. Several vegan options.

I had a fantastic papaya-hazelnut-avocado salad at the Aquarium, if you're going there. The veggie burger can't be veganized, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:35 pm 
Frees Bunny Slippers

Thanks for your suggestions! It certainly doesn't seem like a vegan mecca like some California places (and San Francisco is so close). We've checked out Julia's on line and it looks great. I see they have a raw Wednesday night as well that we might check out. I think there is one tofu scramble on one restaurant breakfast menu that I can see--I've been scouring b'fast menus but there is hardly anything vegan. I think breakfast courtesy of TJ and WholeFoods, perhaps. What did you do for b'fast? thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:57 pm 
Crazy bat lady

When I went last spring, the cinnamon roll shop on Cannery Row had vegan cinnamon rolls!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:28 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Kelvia wrote:
When I went last spring, the cinnamon roll shop on Cannery Row had vegan cinnamon rolls!

TELL ME MORE.

I love Ambrosia! they have a full vegan menu.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:39 pm 
Nailed to the V

kecapcrazy wrote:
Thanks for your suggestions! It certainly doesn't seem like a vegan mecca like some California places (and San Francisco is so close). We've checked out Julia's on line and it looks great. I see they have a raw Wednesday night as well that we might check out. I think there is one tofu scramble on one restaurant breakfast menu that I can see--I've been scouring b'fast menus but there is hardly anything vegan. I think breakfast courtesy of TJ and WholeFoods, perhaps. What did you do for b'fast? thanks again!

Our hotel (Butterfly Grove Inn) had fruit and vegan cereal, so we bought some almond milk and had that. We wanted to blow more money on lunch and dinner :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:19 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

thanks everyone! Vegan cinnamon rolls!!! can't wait!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:45 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

We went to Julia's last night for the Sunday fixed price dinner. It was really good! We started with antipasto (olives, marinated chick peas, yellow beets, radish), then went on to have rosemary flat bread with roasted red pepper hummus and a green salad. The main course was vegan paella (pretty good, needed a little more spice), roasted veggies, and fruit salad. The paella had fresh artichokes from Watsonville! The veggies were super smoky and delicious and all the fruit was really fresh and sweet. Dinner was vanilla soy ice cream with sliced strawberries and peaches. It was $12/person, and that included wine. I would definitely recommend this place!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't know if they're still open, but Ambrosia had a separate vegan menu when I visited...http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/277/1344418 ... o-Monterey

I also remember going to a fusion restaurant with vegan options on the main strip, but I can't remember the name, sorry!