November 3, 2011

Marbled Banana Bread

Makes 12 slices

Banana Marble Bread

I was sooo totally kidding when I tweeted that I was working on a book called “Vegan Loafs Gone Wild”, and yet here I am with another lower-fat loaf! I don’t know, something about the ease of the loaf pan, the leisurely cooking time, and just the absolute loafiness of it.

Here we’ve got something that reminds me of pressing my face against the glass dessert case at my neighborhood Jewish bakery. Marbled treats were a childhood fascination and they still hold some of that “How did you do that?” wonder. What can I say, swirls of cocoa are an impressive feat!

It takes a little extra work, and a few extra mixing bowl, but isn’t it worth it to awaken that childhood intrigue? This banana bread is perfectly banana-y, and not too sweet. The outside of the loaf is a little crunchy after being baked, but if you leave it in Tupperware or plastic wrap at room temp overnight, it gets very moist. It tastes great both ways!

Banana Marble Loaf Slice

1 cup mashed very ripe banana
3/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/3 cup almond milk (or your preferred non-dairy milk)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
6 tablespoons boiling water, divided

Prepare boiling water, no need to measure yet. Also, preheat oven to 350 F.

Mash the banana in a large mixing bowl until relatively smooth. It should take 3 average sized ones, but spoon the mashed ‘nanas into a measuring cup to make sure, then return to the mixing bowl. Beat in the sugar, canola oil, milk and vanilla.

Now add the flour, baking soda and salt and gently mix just to incorporate. It’s okay if there is some flour still visible, just be careful not to overmix at this point.

Scoop one cup of the batter up and transfer it to a separate mixing bowl. Now, in a small tea cup mix the cocoa powder with 3 tablespoons boiling water and stir vigorously with a fork until the chocolate is dissolved. Add this chocolate mixture to the one cup of banana and mix until the chocolate is thoroughly smooth and incorporated.

Now back to the original plain banana batter; add 3 tablespoons of boiling water and mix the batter just until relatively smooth.

Here comes the fun part, it’s time to marble! Lightly grease an 8×4 loaf pan. Scoop alternate 1/2 cupfuls of chocolate/banana batter into the loaf pan. Nothing has to be precise here, in fact, the more random, the better. Once all of the batter is in, take a butter knife and swirl it through the batter in circular directions for about 10 seconds.

Bake for 55 minutes. Use a butter knife to test for doneness. Let cool and enjoy!

• November 3, 2011 at 7:47 pm: Scissors and Spice

Oh! Can’t wait to try. The other banana bread recipe on PPK is my absolute favorite!

• November 3, 2011 at 7:53 pm: Megan

Oh I am so all over this.

• November 3, 2011 at 7:55 pm: xherbivorex

and just as i was wondering how best to use the 3 very ripe bananas i have in my kitchen… brilliant!

• November 3, 2011 at 8:07 pm: Ryann @ MyWholeDeal

I’ve been meaning to marble! Looks so fantastic!

• November 3, 2011 at 8:08 pm: Emma

Yummers. I’ve made a chocolate banana marble loaf before from this recipe http://www.passion4eating.com/2010/04/banana-chocolate-squirrel-cakes/ which looks pretty similar and it was delicious and oh so pretty. Great that this one is low fat though!

• November 3, 2011 at 9:48 pm: IsaChandra

Mmm that one looks great, too!

• November 3, 2011 at 8:09 pm: Jen

hot damn! that looks delish. It is finally cold enough to commence major baking operations, and this is gonna be first on my list!

• November 3, 2011 at 8:40 pm: Anne

Dilemma: which to make first? The pumpkin chocolate loaf, or the marbled banana bread? Or perhaps a pie?

• November 3, 2011 at 9:04 pm: Isabel

I have this in the oven right now! I can’t wait to see how it turns out.

• November 3, 2011 at 9:46 pm: IsaChandra

That was fast!

• November 3, 2011 at 9:33 pm: melissa

yum, gonna try it this weekend. question…what happens when you ‘overmix’?

• November 3, 2011 at 9:46 pm: IsaChandra

It can get rubbery. Banana and pumpkin especially like to get rubbery!

• November 3, 2011 at 10:04 pm: Isabel

Verdict: Delicious! I added chopped walnuts to the top.

I DID reduce the sugar a bit and it is still sweet enough to feel decadent and desserty.

• November 3, 2011 at 10:09 pm: Audrey

I think that is a great title! :)

• November 3, 2011 at 10:42 pm: Ashley

Gah! I made regular banana bread this morning! I wish I had waited until I saw this. Looks amazing.

• November 3, 2011 at 10:53 pm: Arlenys

I’m so doing this tonight! Luckily, I already have 3 very ripe bananas in the fridge. Thanks!!!

• November 3, 2011 at 11:09 pm: carrie

isa – if i replaced 1c banana with 1c pumpkin…. do you think that would work out just fine and dandy?

• November 3, 2011 at 11:41 pm: IsaChandra

I don’t see why not!

• November 3, 2011 at 11:09 pm: juan

omg can’t wait to make it. the pumpkin was out of this world, but in my heart i am a banana-lover.

• November 3, 2011 at 11:48 pm: S. Laverty

I want to try this! Made the pumpkin pie brownies tonight. Delicious!

• November 4, 2011 at 8:19 am: kerry

Oh wow. I already make your other banana bread *weekly* with my little boy- he and my husband are addicted! Can’t wait to try this one, too!!

• November 4, 2011 at 12:23 pm: Dawn (Vegan Fazool)

Awesome! I have ripe bananas on my counter right now, was going to make a double batch of your Banana Flapjacks from VB, but now, hummm…

XO

• November 4, 2011 at 4:10 pm: Angela

This is in the oven right now!!

Is your next book going to be a vegan bread book? *fingers crossed*

• November 4, 2011 at 5:01 pm: Arlenys

I have it in the oven right now and I’m so excited to taste!! I added an extra 3 tbsp of boiling water to the cocoa powder by mistake. Will that mess up the recipe?

• November 4, 2011 at 8:53 pm: Lisa

just put it in the oven,can’t wait to try it!

• November 4, 2011 at 9:01 pm: Angela

I subbed whole wheat pastry for all purpose flour and it turned out nom-rific. It’s a just a little less pretty though. Quick vegan bread question, Isa–have you ever attempted vegan Challah before?

• November 4, 2011 at 9:12 pm: xherbivorex

well, i made mine this evening. and it’s great!

• November 4, 2011 at 10:29 pm: elei

A nice idear to turne banana in there. In Germany we call it
    “Marmor Kuchen”. Thats a old favor, that everybody know her.

• November 5, 2011 at 1:21 am: Anna

This is very pretty. I am going to try this. I am kind of upset that there is only ONE banana, and you are very specific about that. Can you do a recipe for lowfat banana bread that tastes good? If you feel like it of course. Every recipe I see has 1 stick butter. I am not sure what to substitute that with?

• November 6, 2011 at 1:52 am: IsaChandra

Yeah, there are 3 bananas, which equals one cup. And it is low in fat. Although you can usually sub most of the fat with applesauce.

• November 5, 2011 at 3:00 am: sara

This looks really delicious! Gorgeous swirls! :)

• November 5, 2011 at 3:13 am: Angela

@Anna… The recipe actually calls for approximately 3 bananas which equal approximately 1 cup mashed! The only fat is a couple of tablespoons of canola oil, so it’s already super low fat in my book…

• November 5, 2011 at 4:47 am: Eva

Unsweetened or sweetened almond milk?

• November 6, 2011 at 1:51 am: IsaChandra

I used unsweetened, but either would be fine.

• November 5, 2011 at 12:20 pm: Val

I must have done something seriously wrong as mine was only ~1.5″ high.. the flattest banana bread you’ve ever seen! LOL
    It wasn’t done at all, even after adding another 30 min baking time.. I can’t remember what I did differently from your recipe, but I must have taken the wrong turn! LOL -The only good thing were the swirls, they came out nice! ;-)

I’ll try again another time!

• November 5, 2011 at 1:01 pm: ninab

Made this Twice yesterday :) Soo glad its low fat, lol!!

• November 5, 2011 at 11:38 pm: meredith

i made it twice in two days because it disappeared while i was at work. awesome recipe!

• November 6, 2011 at 1:33 am: Megan

I made a modified version (ww pastry flour, less sugar) and it was still NOMABLE! Being devoured as I type this.

• November 6, 2011 at 1:49 am: Christine

i made this today, added walnuts to the top of the batter and hubby and i really enjoyed it! thanks for the great recipe- super easy to follow and very moist. i made mine in a 5×8 rectangle pyrex dish.. and the bananas were used straight from the freezer, where i toss them as soon as they become too ripe to eat. i just removed them from the freezer (black as can be) and peeled and mashed them, no need to thaw. :) thanks again for this wonderful recipe!

• November 6, 2011 at 1:32 pm: Aimee

mmmmmmmm…..so goooooood! I used whole wheat flour instead and baked them in a muffin pan. It made 12 muffins and I baked them for 18 minutes. perfection.

• November 6, 2011 at 4:20 pm: IsaChandra

Good to know, thanks!

• November 6, 2011 at 5:15 pm: Ray

Deelish!! Super-moist on the inside with a perfect amount of crisp on the outside. Even my banana-hatin’ 7-year old absolutely loved it (a miracle in my eyes). I guess chocolate is the great peacemaker…

• November 6, 2011 at 9:27 pm: Kel@The Kel Show

Oh my coworkers are going to love me!

• November 7, 2011 at 2:39 am: Christine

Turned out super flat but looked and tasted really good.

• November 7, 2011 at 3:02 am: Alex

I baked mine in a 13×9 dish for 20 minutes and it was light, fluffy, and delicious. I couldn’t really taste the chocolate marbling too much, but it was very pretty. According to my haphazard math, if you cut it into 18 pieces (totally reasonable in a 13×9 pan), then each serving comes to about 100 calories. Awesome!

• November 7, 2011 at 7:10 pm: Kristin

I made these the other day in mini loaves and they turned out amazing!! I will definitely be making them again soon!

• November 7, 2011 at 8:14 pm: Lily

This looks absolutely amazing, and just the thing I’m craving right now! I can’t wait to make this.

• November 8, 2011 at 1:01 am: Lexi

Made this today. Because a few mentioned how flat the bread was, I added 1 1/2 tsp baking powder. Next time, I’ll add more, because it still didn’t rise as much as I’d like. Neverthess, the bread was sooo good! I find the chocolate part to be tasty and chocolaty enough. I can imagine toasted walnuts would make this even yummier.

• November 8, 2011 at 3:12 am: IsaChandra

Wow, I wonder what’s up because mine wasn’t flat at all (as you can see in the pics.)

• November 8, 2011 at 3:15 am: Heather

made this earlier today! It was perfect!! Loved this recipe.

• November 8, 2011 at 2:03 pm: Babette

I made this last night and it was so good and fun to prepare. I hadn’t baked something marbled before. There is very little cocoa powder in it, but yet it tastes chocolaty. I used only whole wheat pastry flour and the bread turned out flat… I wonder if this is because of the flour I used, or because I didn’t sift in the baking soda, which was sort of crumbly and definitely not well integrated?

And Lexi mentioned (a comment up) having used baking powder… well, the recipe calls for baking soda, doesn’t it? =)

• November 8, 2011 at 3:32 pm: sophie

i made this last night with wholewheat flour and 3 bananas that have been languishing in my freezer for months and it turned out really well! it’s scrumptious, and my omnivorous bf agrees.
    i baked it for ~43mins in a 8″ round pan and that seemed just right.

• November 8, 2011 at 5:30 pm: Jeweli

@anna it’s one cup banana! i read it wrong the first time over also :)

• November 8, 2011 at 9:42 pm: Brandy

My family loves this bread. I have to make 2 loaves a week. Also this makes some of the best french toast ever. Thanks Isa.

• November 9, 2011 at 8:09 pm: Danielle P.

Oh no! But but but… I already have a favourite banana bread recipe! The one in Veganomicon! What am I going to do now?

(Just kidding — I’ll alternate!)

• November 9, 2011 at 9:01 pm: Hillary

Made this yesterday: AMAZING!

Srsly, when is the vegan loaf book coming out? Consider it already pre-ordered.

• November 10, 2011 at 3:29 am: Christine

Maybe I have figured out the flat thing: is it because I used Dutch-process cocoa and not the regular acidic kind, therefore less leavening action?

• November 10, 2011 at 4:22 am: IsaChandra

I don’t think so, because the banana part has no cocoa at all…

• November 10, 2011 at 3:14 pm: Sarah F

I wondered if the people who had the “flatness” problem were in the UK? I am an American living in Ireland, and the baking powder here is single action, as far as I can tell. So a lot of American recipes I use end up flat!

• November 11, 2011 at 11:13 am: Mari

This tasted brilliant! Thanks a lot :D

• November 11, 2011 at 2:59 pm: Letícia

This was amazing! Everybody loved it!
    But it didn’t grow properly, and I swear I didn’t open the oven too soon. Any ideas of what I could have done wrong?

• November 11, 2011 at 3:43 pm: Letícia

well… I could have done many things wrong, actually.
    My doubt was: any ideas of what did I do wrong?

• November 12, 2011 at 5:16 pm: Sheila

I thought this might help others understand why their bread went flat when other’s did not… (from About.com)

Baking soda is pure sodium bicarbonate. When baking soda is combined with moisture and an acidic ingredient (e.g., yogurt, chocolate, buttermilk, honey), the resulting chemical reaction produces bubbles of carbon dioxide that expand under oven temperatures, causing baked goods to rise. The reaction begins immediately upon mixing the ingredients, so you need to bake recipes which call for baking soda immediately, or else they will fall flat!

• November 14, 2011 at 12:18 pm: Tessa

Love this! My toddler and I made this together this morning, and it was lovely. She’s currently devouring it! It was her second foray into baking, after trying the Pumpkin Loaf together a few weeks ago. Thank you for the lovely recipes!

• November 15, 2011 at 5:04 pm: Debbie

I tried your recipe & it came out good. Thank you!

• November 16, 2011 at 7:53 pm: Molletta

This is a fabulous recipe and turned out amazing. LOVE. This will definitely become a staple. I didn’t have cocoa powder, just dark chocolate chips, which i tossed in (and also tossed in some slivered almonds). Awesome!

• November 17, 2011 at 1:47 am: KellyF

Pretty much loved this recipe. I have made it twice for my family. I added some walnuts…which I guess makes it not low-fat. Thanks for the great bread!

• November 17, 2011 at 8:16 pm: Ashley

Decreased the sugar/Increased the cocoa a bit, muffin-style with a lil PEANUT BUTTER in the middle. yummm!

• November 19, 2011 at 3:45 pm: Julie

Simply AMAZING, the best banana bread ever! It turns out beautiful every time (and I’ve made it several times now, as my family can’t stay away from it!) I have used 1/2 whole wheat pastry flour (also white whole wheat flour) with 1/2 whole spelt flour and a hefty tablespoon of chickpea flour just to make it healthier, and it still comes out fabulouse!

• November 22, 2011 at 12:21 am: Laura

This is happening. Right now.

• November 22, 2011 at 1:10 am: Laura

It’s in the oven!

• November 25, 2011 at 5:02 am: Kay

Made this for Thanksgiving and it was a HUGE hit! No one believed that it was vegan, and it was so delicious. One minor change, I used hot cocoa mix instead of unsweetened cocoa powder, worked really well!

• November 26, 2011 at 8:20 pm: Lauren

This was absolutely the best banana bread I have ever made; nonetheless, ever tasted! So thankful for you, Isa!! :D

• November 27, 2011 at 5:53 pm: Merris

I made it with baking powder instead of baking soda and it was flat (yet still tasty) I tried again, realizing the mistake, and it was wonderful. Great recipe, and pretty easy.

• November 28, 2011 at 9:12 pm: Maria

SIMPLY MAHRBELOUS!!! Yum!! I confess I added some chocolate chips to the chocolate swirly part. Whirly swirly. Oh yeah. Go Isa. …LOAF BOOK! LOAF BOOK! (C’mon y’all, chant with me!)

• November 29, 2011 at 12:01 pm: holly

I made these in muffin form. Same thing basically, but cooked at 350 for about 20 minutes. NOMZ.

• December 2, 2011 at 8:54 am: Joy

Just about 10 minutes to go for my first loaf of this. It even looked pretty going *into* the oven! Can’t wait to share it tomorrow with my pals!!

• December 4, 2011 at 1:21 am: Veronica

in the oven, looking fabulous!!! can’t wait to have a bite!

• December 4, 2011 at 10:51 pm: krystle

I didn’t have bananas available so I criss-crossed the Super Moist Pumpkin Bread, Best Pumpkin Muffins Ever!, and this Marbled Banana Bread into muffins O~~O They’re in the oven now and I have to say this is the best tasting batter I’ve made yet!~ Oh and when I prepared the melty chocolate I put the vanilla extract in there :O So hopefully the swirls will have a pop!

• December 7, 2011 at 12:27 am: Merris

How would I modify this recipe if I wanted to make mini loaves as gifts?

• December 7, 2011 at 6:41 am: IsaChandra

Just a shorter baking time. I dunno, 20 minutes or so?

• December 11, 2011 at 8:02 pm: melanie

This is an amazing, good-looking and delicious loaf!

• December 12, 2011 at 2:37 am: DeliciousBananaBread

I would love this recipe even more if it made a larger amount to fit a bigger loaf pan: 9 x 5 x 3 inches. How could I adjust the measurements for that?

• December 17, 2011 at 12:28 am: Corinne

Absolutely DELISH! I changed a few things and this recipe adapts well.
    Used 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 splenda; changed the oil to applesauce.
    So good! Was gone too quickly. Need to make more!

• December 18, 2011 at 9:32 pm: Michelle

This is very delicious! I made it yesterday, and everyone who tried it loved it. I used applesauce instead of the oil. I think I might add some vegan chocolate chips to this recipe the next time I make it. :)

• December 31, 2011 at 9:57 pm: Kate

Made this last week and it was wonderful! Going to make again tonight, only I am going to double up the chocolate and make it ALL chocolate not marbled – and tell the kids it is chocolate cake! They will never know it is good for them:) Mwah ha ha ha…..

• January 2, 2012 at 5:08 pm: OMGoshI'mVegan

I’ve made this a few time and it is fantastic. A big hit wonderful moist and the marbled look is great.

• January 11, 2012 at 5:51 pm: Emma

Forgot to give my report back on this yummy banana bread. It turned out perfectly, soft with a great texture, definitely not dry at all. It makes a perfect afternoon tea loaf as it’s not too indulgent…although the suggestion in the comments of adding some choc chips to the choc part does sound pretty good :)

• January 12, 2012 at 11:10 am: Ria

This is my all-time favorite banana bread recipe! I have made it a hundred times since it first posted and it is foolproof…… I have added a cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips to the batter (before incorporating the cocoa) for a decadent, dessert-type version… and it is absolutely delicious. Thanks Isa for all of your wonderful recipes & inspiration!

• January 12, 2012 at 11:57 am: Ria

.. A “hundred times” is a bit of an exaggeration I admit…..but I was won over from the start -it is so good….:)

• January 13, 2012 at 8:05 pm: jessica

so, call me weird, but i made this with 1/2 cup mashed bananas and 1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes. because, well – its what i had on hand i also cut the sugar in half and added a crumb topping instead. IT WAS AWESOME!

• January 16, 2012 at 7:47 pm: Meghan

Made this… Loved this… So good :)

• January 21, 2012 at 6:05 am: Lavon

I just made this and it was a hit, I used whole wheat pastry flour instead of all purpose. It turned out amazing. It was a hit even with the non-vegan people. I am going to make this again right away.

• January 21, 2012 at 5:35 pm: Martha

Made this today. We are not vegan so I added an egg as well as 1 T. of flax seeds – I like my baked goods fluffy. Delicious. Thanks for another winner.

• January 22, 2012 at 4:26 am: Torey

This banana was so so good and obviously so fun to look at. I followed the reciepe but instead of using butter subsituted the 2 tablespoons of oil for 2 tablespoons of applesauce and it turned out awesome. I also cooked it an extra 10 min, the applesauce usually adds on a couple minute but yayyy this stuff is great!!!

• January 22, 2012 at 12:15 pm: Bex

Could I use coconut oil instead of canola? The only reason I ask is because I thought about adding shredded coconut to my loaf.

• January 22, 2012 at 5:48 pm: IsaChandra

Yes of course!

• January 22, 2012 at 11:27 pm: Lfrazden

Doubled the recipe and made it into a layer cake with vegan buttercream frosting…bake the two round cake layers for about 30 minutes…topped the icing with crushed walnuts…delicious!

• January 23, 2012 at 9:29 pm: Adrienne Cosentino

I made this last night and it came out beautifully! The marble effect was awesome, the texture was moist and just a little crumbly =P It wasn’t too sweet also, which I appreciated. My boyfriend and I gobbled it up promptly ~ Thanks for the great recipe!

• January 24, 2012 at 7:07 pm: Patricia

This is very moist and delicious Banana Bread. I will be sharing it with my readers too :-)

• January 24, 2012 at 10:59 pm: Jenna

I hope i didn’t miss this somewhere, but any recommendations for bake times/temps for muffins with this recipe?

• January 29, 2012 at 7:05 pm: Amy

Jenna- someone mentioned up there ^ that they baked 12 muffins for 18 minutes.

I just made this and it was great! It didn’t rise anywhere near as much as yours did though; yours looks so pretty! Mine’s about 2 1/2 inches high. I don’t know why some of us are getting flat loaves, but at least they still taste good!

• February 1, 2012 at 4:23 pm: Cecily

Made this for the second time in two weeks, it’s amazing and great for serving to company because it looks impressive! But it’s so easy. And thanks for the tip about the hot water, it has made it really light and fluffy!

• February 2, 2012 at 2:49 am: Amy

This would have to be the BEST banana bread I have ever made (I have made a lot). I love how dense and moist it is. I have also made it without the cocoa and added a little more banana…worked perfectly every time!

• February 2, 2012 at 10:10 pm: Ashley

You know my favorite thing about vegan baking, i can eat the batter and not worry about getting sick!! :D

• February 4, 2012 at 10:55 pm: denise

any idea if this would work with GF flours? my daughter has egg and dairy allergies so this would be perfect for her, but my husband has celiac, so the flour portion wouldn’t work for him, and i would love, love, love a recipe that i could make for the whole family! thanks!

• February 8, 2012 at 1:45 pm: Justin

Wow this was incredible. I added a handful of chopped walnuts, used 1/2 whole wheat flour, and 1/2 all purpose. The recipe made 12 muffins. I just filled them a tablespoon at a time, going white/dark/white/dark. The marbling was very evident and they came moist and delicious. They cooked for about 20 minutes. Thanks for the recipe!

• February 16, 2012 at 9:12 pm: danielle

assuming we are all looking at low-fat recipes because we are counting fat/calories, i took the liberty of doing quick nutrition info and decided to share my findings! 1/8 of the loaf= 220 calories, 4g fat, 48 carbs, 3g protein. Not bad considering 1/8 is more than a sliver, and has alot less than starbucks banana bread (390/serving). I might try this one today… I only have 2 bananas so I might get crazy and replace the last one with a flaxseed/water mixture…hooray for omega-3s! :)

• February 20, 2012 at 4:26 am: Denise

This is really tasty, moist and light. Just popped it out of the pan and it’s going FAST.

• February 20, 2012 at 9:34 pm: jjphil

I love this recipe!!!!!!! i made it for my father in law and his friends wanted recipe! (and they are in no way vegan! or close to it!)

• February 23, 2012 at 2:08 am: Joann@womaninreallife

I wish you would do the Vegan Loafs Gone Wild book. I love a good loaf. Something so old-fashioned and sweet about it. This one looks lovely. I can’t wait to try it. Seeing as I made a banana bread and some berry oat bars today, it will have to wait until tomorrow. ;)

• February 26, 2012 at 11:56 pm: Yoga Rho

I made this loaf for a weekend get away with some of my fello Yoginis ,and it was a huge hit. Thank you for this wonderful twist on a banana loaf. I loved it and it was so so moist!

• February 27, 2012 at 8:35 pm: Alice

I made this in muffin form. I added 1 + 1/4 cup of banana, almond extract (I was out of vanilla), 4 tablespoons of cocoa powder instead of 3. I baked them for 20 minutes. They came out perfectly. Moist, great banana flavor, and the chocolate bits are amazing. I can’t wait for my hubby to come home and try on!!

• March 3, 2012 at 11:53 pm: sabrina

I tried this recipe today and it tastes good, BUT it came out soooo flat…. I don’t know what went wrong. However the marble does look pretty.

• March 6, 2012 at 9:06 pm: IsaChandra

Perhaps too big of a loaf pan?

• March 11, 2012 at 8:40 pm: Andrea

Seriously awesome. I subbed out half of the A.P. flour for whole wheat with awesome results. The marbled pattern was slightly less prominent, but was obviously visible. And because I am a deviant, I through some vegan chocolate chips in with the chocolate batter. This will be my go-to banana bread recipe from now on! Thanks!!

• March 13, 2012 at 1:44 am: Joanna

Sooo good, just like everything I’ve made on post punk! a couple subs…. I didn’t have white sugar so I used brown sugar and I used wheat flour instead of all purpose. I could not find my bread pans ANYWHERE (my demise for bringing banana bread to work) so I used a 5×8 and baked it for only 35 minutes. The swirl came out awesome and my carnivore boyfriend already ate almost half. Success!

• March 13, 2012 at 1:48 am: Joanna

Also to the peeps that had bread come out too flat (I used a larger pan and it still was decently thick) check the expiration date on your baking soda-I have a nasty habbit of keeping it too long, therefore making it ineffective.. Also make sure you are putting in enough salt, it works hand in hand with the baking soda. Good luck!

• March 29, 2012 at 5:35 am: Hazel

Dear Isa,
    Thankyou for this great recipe. I made it with fine ground wholemeal flour and it turned out really well.
    I live in New Zealand and would love to see you down here for a visit spreading your vegan magic.

• April 9, 2012 at 5:34 pm: tanyakristine

This was amazing. unbelievably moist.

• April 18, 2012 at 5:37 am: limegimlet

this was totally flat for me, too! the marbling was super fun though and it looks so impressive–the prefect baking mistake to take to work and win the favor of my co-workers. ;) next time, i’ll try more baking powder and making a longer bake time? thanks!

• April 18, 2012 at 5:38 am: limegimlet

ah ha, the recipe calls for baking soda…not baking powder…oops…

• April 19, 2012 at 2:28 am: Janie

I made this tonight. It’s yummy, by the loaf is flat. I followed the recipe. I live at 3500 ft, could the altitude be a problem?

• April 23, 2012 at 1:06 am: meghan

thanks for the great recipe. I made mine with the addition of the walnuts and whole wheat flower. Yum. Yum…

• May 2, 2012 at 2:50 am: sarah

Word up! made this today. It made me feel like a Baking Goddess.

• May 2, 2012 at 3:07 pm: Angey

Doubled the recipe and made 4 mini-loaves. Instead of marbling I mixed it all together at the end. They rose beautifully and look very impressive. I cooked the mini-loaves for 55 minutes.
    Thank you for another great recipe.

• May 9, 2012 at 1:56 am: Alyssa

I made today and was disappointed because it didn’t come out the same as picture….very flat and not “bread” like. More like a dense cake. The only thing I did different was used coconut oil instead of canola and used 1/2 cup of sugar instead of 3/4.

• May 21, 2012 at 8:26 pm: Helen NZ

My daughter made this usiing spelt, amaranth and Kamut flours.
    It was a s great success at a group workshop.

• June 14, 2012 at 6:42 am: ladylite77

I just made this recipe. It is AMAZING!!! Thank you for posting this. I now want to buy all of your books!!!

• July 9, 2012 at 12:19 am: Kelsey

This is perfection. I just made this at high altitude in a 9×9 pan. Took about 45 minutes.

• July 14, 2012 at 12:44 am: Annette

I make this again and again. It is my very favorite banana, chocolate great anytime thingy. Thanks so much!

• July 15, 2012 at 1:43 am: Samantha H.

Turned out really bad, with hard top and chewy, too soft (almost not ready) inside. I also did not like the taste. Weird, I did everything per recipe.

• July 19, 2012 at 11:59 am: Stephanie

wow, just made these..i used 2 tbsp earth balance instead of oil (didn’t have any), added a bit more cocoa (can we say chocoholic?) and turned them into muffins (15 muffins/18 minutes, thanks to whoever posted that lil tip). OMG, these are absolutely to die for!

• July 20, 2012 at 2:32 pm: emily

I’ve made this several times, it’s one of my favorite recipes. It’s also easy enough that my 6 year old niece was able to help out (even though it looks super fancy!). Mine has always come out VERY dense and moist, but I like it.

• July 30, 2012 at 12:39 am: Brandi

This is so GOOD!!! Thank you for the recipie!!!

• August 12, 2012 at 11:18 pm: Jess

This really is CRAZY good. As in, watch out, you’ll probably eat the whole loaf over the course of one single day. Or at least, I will.

• August 18, 2012 at 7:05 pm: Clare C.

Made this for a small group this morning. People were astonished that it’/s vegan. One said she can’t believe it doesn’t have butter in it. Moist and wonderful – and very fun to swirl the chocolate in.

• August 22, 2012 at 11:23 am: Pardon me

Flatness: Looks like compared to the other banana bread recipe you have, this one does have the baking soda, but forgot the Vinegar!

• August 25, 2012 at 6:11 pm: Nicole

In the oven–can’t wait to try it! I’m not a big “loaf” person, so I am baking the batter in a cupcake pan. Does that make them muffins lol :)
    Adjusting baking time accordingly bc they are in a different pan. Going to check them sooner than later!

• August 31, 2012 at 2:42 am: Kay Marie

Love love love this loaf! I make it at least twice a month and purposely buy very ripe bananas so I can. Thanks so much for an outstanding banana bread.

• August 31, 2012 at 6:06 pm: Cathy

Ummm…..banana bread perfected. I love the idea of marbling cocoa into the loaf. I can’t wait to try this version out at home. I’m sure it’ll be a real hit.

• September 4, 2012 at 2:30 am: Becca

Thank you for an amazing choconana bonanzarama! This worked very well with all white whole wheat flour. Still rose very nicely, had that lovely crack down the top, and tasted delicious despite being lowfat. This is a keeper for us.

• September 9, 2012 at 3:14 am: Julie

This turned out great–no problems with it rising. Just a delicious beautiful loaf of yum!

• September 12, 2012 at 10:19 am: Susan

It would take a lot for me to give up my tried and true chocolate chip studded banana bread, but this recipe has now taken the #1 spot! Wow. My whole family went crazy for this bread. And, it’s gorgeous, too. Great for gifts! (I did reduce the sugar to 1/2 cup and thought it was fantastic.)

• September 22, 2012 at 2:11 pm: Kay Marie

I purposely buy older bananas so I can make this at least once a month. I LOVE it! Colleagues were shocked it was vegan. You can’t go wrong with this one.

• October 3, 2012 at 12:32 am: Lavon

i want to double the recipe, i only have three bananas, would i be able to put one cup apple sauce ? would that work?

• October 4, 2012 at 6:24 am: Chris

This was so fun to make it’s in the oven this very minute and it already smells divine! I can’t wait to see how it comes out! Once again thank you for another fabulous recipe I’m sure everyone will enjoy vegan and non vegans alike ;) !

• October 18, 2012 at 1:56 am: Trish

Made this last night. It was fantastic when it was still warm from the oven, and leftovers were great today too. Really tasty, and really moist. The marbling really impressed my coworkers. :-) Thanks for the recipe. I used vanilla flavored soy milk cause its what I had on hand.

• October 27, 2012 at 7:32 pm: Jessy

What a Beauty! Can’t wait to try it. (:

• October 30, 2012 at 2:48 am: Leanne

I’ve made this bread a few times already. With the weather change in Texas I’ve been all goofy with Mexican mochas. So tonight, I made the bread, and went ahead and blended in all the chocolate and added some cinnamon, some cayanne, and a dash of all spice. If I had some instant coffee that would be my next ingredient. Mexican mocha chocolate banana bread. RULES!!!

• November 1, 2012 at 9:07 pm: Amber

i have made this exactly as is, but the past few times i’ve used 1 1/2 cups banana & 1/4 cup sugar, 1 cup walnuts, and either olive or coconut oil. sometimes i make the whole thing chocolate…always comes out great:) i love this recipe!!!

• November 2, 2012 at 1:31 pm: Amber

oops! make that 1/2 cup sugar & i 1/4 cup banana! sorry:p

• November 4, 2012 at 6:50 pm: Ash

Dude, the swirl IS an amazing feat. I totally love your (classic) banana bread recipes — a win of both my heart and the many others who’ve had the privilege of sampling “my” (i.e., your) baking. Is it possible to use spelt flour for the entire loaf?

• November 8, 2012 at 2:44 pm: Jordan

Hi Isa!
    I baked this today for the second time, this time i added some vegan dark chocolate chips just for fun, it turned out great both times!
    Only problem i have is that no matter how much longer i baked the loaf, it still didn’t bake the center completely. It gets a little better overnight but still, it doesn’t feel or look like it’s properly baked.. The slices in your picturs look a whole of a lot better, mines looks wet in the middle.
    Do you have any solution? I wanna keep making and eating this, but it does bpther me..

• November 9, 2012 at 5:04 am: Andrea

This is sooooo yummy!

• November 18, 2012 at 12:05 am: BMAC.

Really good. One needs to be really careful not to overmix this with the various blending steps. My first batch ended up a little tough. Really rich without too much fat. I might reduce the amount of chocolate for more banana flavor.

• December 1, 2012 at 1:44 am: Rya

This Banana bread was amazing! I made it gluten free using a mix of sorghum/potato starch/arrowroot and xanthum. I also used coconut oil and coconut sugar and it came out perfectly. I am so impressed Thank you Isa, I adore your recipes. :)

• January 1, 2013 at 9:20 pm: RhubarbJamGirl

I made this yesterday for family coming over. It’s the first loaf I’ve made in a while that’s actually risen and looked like the picture. It was absolutely delicious, the perfect mix of banana and chocolate, and the whole family loved loved it. There is very little left and I’m looking forward to finishing it later!

• January 2, 2013 at 12:17 am: Jenni

Currently in the oven! This was a breeze to make and the batter was delicious. Now I just have to wait…

• January 7, 2013 at 5:32 pm: Maggie

I only had 2 bananas and when measured they came in just under 1 cup. So I decided to add a flax “egg” to the mashed bananas. After reading the comments about the loaf turning out flat, I measured out all of my ingredients into little bowls before I started to mix. When adding the dry ingredients, I added the baking soda last and then worked quickly and was careful not to overmix. This came out beautiful and really tasty. The texture was great and it rose like a normal loaf. YUM YUM YUM!!

• January 7, 2013 at 5:56 pm: IsaChandra

Cool! I think the flatness problem with the others is that they’re not using the correct sized loaf pan.

• January 9, 2013 at 10:55 am: Mary

This banana bread is great! makes you wonder why they put eggs to the “classic versions”. Clearly you don’t need any to make this look and taste like a proper one.
    Thank you so much for sharing this!

• January 21, 2013 at 3:20 am: amanda

this came out perfect! followed the recipe exactly, and i wouldn’t change a thing :)

• January 31, 2013 at 11:51 pm: Jennifer Myers

This recipe is delicious..my girls snarfed it down!

• February 3, 2013 at 3:55 pm: Amber

I decided to make this into muffins, figuring 12 slices equaled 12 muffins. I used my smallest scoop to alternate plain and chocolate batters into a paper lined muffin tin and popped it into my preheated 350 degree oven. My hubby (the vegan half of the marriage, converted for health reasons) asked what was in them and as I rattled off the ingredients, I realized I’d forgotten the almond milk! (The transformation is now complete, I have officially become my mother…) They were already in the oven, there was no turning back. I baked them for about 18 minutes, rotating the pan half way through. I’m happy to say, they turned out fine without the milk. The texture was only very slightly gummy, they still puffed up quite nicely and are quite tasty. I think I’d make them the same way next time, omitting the milk. BTW, PPK and your cookbooks have really made my hubby’s transition to vegan so much easier for me. I am able to find recipes that satisfy our whole family, as the rest of us are still omnivores. Thank you!

• February 5, 2013 at 5:22 pm: Nima

Am late to the party, but gosh. This was amazing – perfect texture, not too sweet, super forgiving to boot. The only I *might* do next time is to add some walnuts. And will definitely try it as a muffin at some point.

• February 11, 2013 at 7:19 am: Geena

This recipe is amazing. It came out beautifully. I am totally stealing it to use forever and ever! Thank you so much!

• February 15, 2013 at 11:54 pm: jessica

I made this recipe and mixed some ground flax seeds in and put a layer of sliced bananas in the middle and on top…it was amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

• February 19, 2013 at 8:45 am: precious

nice flavoured chocolate banana combination!! But one thing, my turned out chewy. Any idea what might be the cost of it?

• February 19, 2013 at 4:15 pm: IsaChandra

Overmixing, perhaps?

• February 21, 2013 at 2:19 am: Lucia

This was my first attempt at vegan baking, I was browsing recipes and was delighted to find one I had everything on hand to make. Just took it out of the oven and my family is devouring it!! Thank you, I love your recipes <3

• February 22, 2013 at 4:51 pm: rosebeef

Delicious! At first I thought the loaf had trouble rising like some of the posts suggest, but then I realized that my pan had slightly larger dimensions than what the recipe called for (9×5). Next time I may double it so it fills the pan. Marbling is fun!

• March 14, 2013 at 9:01 pm: Sarah C

This is the BEST banana bread! Before this recipe my husband HATED all the vegan banana loafs I had made; the texture, taste or moistness was off to him. Now my son and husband can eat a whole loaf in one day and still want more.

• March 15, 2013 at 3:27 pm: IsaChandra

Wow, thanks!

• March 17, 2013 at 12:44 pm: Kate Broughton

Mine is in the oven right now. But I have a question re: the use of baking soda. Doesn’t soda need some kind of acidic medium in order to provide leavening? In my regular baking, I often pair soda with buttermilk or yogurt, which provides the acid. The ingredients listed here don’t appear to offer any acidity, so I used baking powder instead of soda. Looking forward to the results!

• March 17, 2013 at 3:26 pm: IsaChandra

There is acid in many of the ingredients, including the banana and chocolate. It is a perfect balance to make the bread rise just enough. The pic should be proof enough!

• March 23, 2013 at 5:29 pm: Joanna

I made these in muffin tins because I didn’t want to wait for the 40 minutes to cook. 15-20 minutes and they were perfect. Even used GF all purpose flour and they raised properly and have a good texture. Yum!

• March 24, 2013 at 1:39 am: Rachel

so yummy, thanks! and yes, fun to make the swirls.

• April 14, 2013 at 5:42 pm: Ashley

Best Banana bread I’ve ever had! I made it healthier to by using a combination of whole wheat pastry flour and out flour. I used apple sauce in place of oil and added more baking soda. I substituted all the sugar with stevia. I then added one ener g egg replacer. Moist, light and airy!

• April 20, 2013 at 4:03 pm: Karen G

FANTASTIC, just made this used 1/2 cup coconut sugar instead of 3/4 white and it came out GREAAAT !

• April 22, 2013 at 4:13 pm: Katrinka

I had to use apple sauce for the oil and I added chia seeds for the texture. It came out perfectly.

• May 11, 2013 at 2:20 am: ariel

I just doubled the batter and poured it into my larger (5″ x 13″ I think…) loaf pan. Fingers crossed that it will work out OK! The batter was AMAZING, so as long as it will rise up in that quantity, I think it will be golden :)

• May 15, 2013 at 5:54 am: couleewind

It’s almost midnight here and this is about to come out of my oven. How much do you want to bet that my roommates are up and drooling and begging in the next 8 minutes?

• May 31, 2013 at 8:37 am: Seraphina

Dear Isa, I just wanted to say thank you very much for this wonderfully simple and delicious recipe. I’ve made it about 4 times, each with a different variation (so adaptable!), and everyone cannot believe it’s 1: vegan, 2: low fat. (:

• June 2, 2013 at 6:05 am: IsaChandra

Awesome, thanks for letting me know!

• June 1, 2013 at 11:22 pm: Arlyn

I tried this recipe today and it came out wonderfully. I cut the time in half due to using a pie container since I don’t have a loaf pan. I was afraid it I had over mixed but luckily it raised up just to the right consistency. Can’t wait to try many more of your recipes in the near future.

• June 17, 2013 at 5:25 pm: Tanya

In the oven right now and it smells AMAZING!! I didn’t have 3 bananas so I used 2 + 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce. Thanks for this recipe and all you do!

• June 25, 2013 at 4:17 pm: Jackie

Hi Isa,

I tried this recipe last night with a couple of substitutions that worked great:
    – I only used 1 T of oil and added 1 T of unsweetened apple sauce
    – I only used 1/2 c sugar
    – I used half whole wheat flour and half white bread flour

Still tastes great – I may try to completely eliminate the oil and further reduce the sugar next time! Thank you for all of your amazing recipes!

• June 25, 2013 at 11:28 pm: cj

Simply delicious! I made this all for myself and it tasted even better the next day. Moist, rich and with just the right balance of banana and chocolate.

• June 27, 2013 at 3:42 pm: Tamara

easy and delicious! I used whole wheat flour and melted raw cacao butter instead of oil), turned out perfect! mmmmmmm

• July 6, 2013 at 10:54 pm: Alie

This is one of my husband’s favorites! (And he’s always impressed by the “fancy” marbling, so bonus points for me!) I love that it doesn’t taste low-fat at all.

• July 16, 2013 at 2:31 pm: Wendy

Best banana bread ever, thanks!

• August 3, 2013 at 7:19 pm: CL

Without a regular loaf pan, I had to make do with three minis, and they turned out as wonderful as anything else by Isa. Only they suffered slight burns on the sides touching the pans because I overestimated the bake time—should not be more than 30 minutes at that size, although I was not using my own oven, but my auntie’s, which is higher quality, stronger, and more consistent than what I’m used to.

Everything was super yummy and super pretty! It’s hard for me to actually screw up one of these. I love it.

• August 7, 2013 at 7:04 am: Deepali Jain

made this today with wheat flour and reduced the sugar to 1/2 cup. Turned out super good and tasted just perfect for breakfast. Thanks for a lovely recipe. Now I know what to do of those over ripe bananas.

• August 19, 2013 at 3:58 pm: Katlynn

I’m learning to bake vegan for my boyfriend, and I have to say all the recipies I have tried, he likes this one the best. But I would totally be interested in learning if you can do yeast breads with vegan ingrediants. and if so, do you have any recipies? I would love to find a vegan bread book!

• August 20, 2013 at 3:22 pm: treepixie

Well it’s in the oven as we speak.. i have made many banana breads before, am a little nervous with so little fat. ,that it can turn out good …we shall see. will report back !!

• August 20, 2013 at 5:10 pm: treepixie

its still in the oven .. tested twice each time the knife is still not clean.. wah thats nearly an hour and 50 mins ..

• August 29, 2013 at 4:12 pm: Rhonda

In a true tale of “opposites attract”, my carnivore husband and I, his plant-based wife, are celebrating 14 years today. About to make this for the fifth time. He doesn’t even know it’s vegan, but it is the one thing he loves that I can make for him AND share with him. Thank you for this, and all your amazing recipes! (Can’t wait to try the Grilled Ramen – making the broth later today!)

• September 12, 2013 at 11:10 pm: Jennifer

Hello! Do you think it would be okay to sub the flour with Bob’s All Purpose Gluten Free mix? Thanks!!!

• September 29, 2013 at 9:11 pm: KZCakes

I love quickbreads and you! Eating a slice now!

• October 27, 2013 at 5:04 pm: Jodi

Nom nom nom nom nom nom!! As always Isa!

• December 24, 2013 at 5:07 pm: Shani Taylor

Delicious recipe. Being careful with the mixing turned this recipe into a deluxe cake, with a very fine crumb. I tried a really nice variation for a friend who is allergic to chocolate: carob powder instead of cocoa. I then baked it up as marbled muffins: 1/4 cup (it worked out to be 9 light batter and 3 dark batter) and then a small spoonful of contrasting batter swirled through. I scraped the bowl to get enough batter and it was just enough. Letting them cool well kept them from feeling gummy. Both the carob and the cocoa are delicious with the banana.

• January 14, 2014 at 8:09 pm: Kate

Had a slice of this today (made, and shared, by a generous co-worker). Absolutely delicious!

• January 24, 2014 at 7:51 pm: Debby

This is absolutely delicious. I have made this twice now. First time last weekend for a vegan friend and she and the rest of the non-vegan crowd gobbled it up before I got to try it. I made it again this morning and yum! now I know why it didn’t last. This is a perfect alternative to my very yummy but high fat traditional recipe. (I used light brown sugar and organic whole wheat pastry flour for your recipe and my own as well).

• February 23, 2014 at 9:21 pm: Mikaela Larsen

LOVE this… Was just looking for a vegan Banana Bread Recipe yesterday !!! TY :D

• February 23, 2014 at 10:01 pm: irenka

Does it work in a bread machine?

• February 23, 2014 at 11:03 pm: francesca

would any type of oil work? I have olive oil i dont know if theres a difference!

• February 24, 2014 at 8:23 am: Amanda

Looks divine! Guess what I’m making tomorrow!!

• February 27, 2014 at 12:35 am: Fran

Made this today and OMG.. Amazing. Such a fantastic recipe! Thank you. :)

• February 27, 2014 at 2:27 pm: katie

i doubled it and added a bit more sugar to the chocolate batter, and put into a bundt for a cake, and MAN this is EPIC banana goodness!!!

• March 15, 2014 at 12:06 am: Mary

Can I use Gluten free- all purpose flour mix for this?

• March 19, 2014 at 12:46 am: Liz

I brought this to a vegan potluck and it went over very well!

• March 25, 2014 at 12:51 am: Meg

This is a great recipe! It turned out delicious.

• March 25, 2014 at 10:50 pm: Kathy

Francesca (Feb 23, 12014), the type of oil does not make a difference in function, but will in flavor. If you don’t mind the the flavor of EVOO with banana and cocoa, go for it.

Isa, what type of loaf pan did you test in? I love love love my stoneware (Pampered Chef) but I think it made the leavening work differently in this recipe? As in, it didn’t do so well. Non-vegan banana breads I’ve baked in it were always done perfectly. But this one, the bottom 1/4-in of the baked loaf seemed “compressed” as if it had not finished rising and not well-cooked all the way through. Flavor and texture of the REST of the loaf was AMAZING, and I will be making another soon, but this time in maybe a metal or glass pan….?

• March 27, 2014 at 4:26 pm: jenn

I substituted 1 cup GF flour + 1/2 cup Quinoa Flakes, and used Coconut Oil and Brown Sugar. I will also say i sprinkled some choco-chips on top, but not too many.

Anyway delicious and wasn’t too flat!

• April 10, 2014 at 2:43 am: Bailey

I have made this twice in the last two days! Delicious! I subbed the canola oil for coconut oil and it turned out perfectly. Definitely a winner:)

• April 18, 2014 at 1:27 pm: Dina

I’ve made this several times, as has my vegan son. It’s delicious!. Do you have a recipe for straight banana bread that uses some whole wheat flour, and maybe some flax seed — just to protein-it-up a bit?

• April 29, 2014 at 11:14 pm: Ashley

Yummmmmmm! I was impressed at how moist this was with only 2 tbsp. of oil. I would definitely make this again!!

• May 21, 2014 at 1:20 am: Anna

SOOO good! Made it last night and it was so simple and fun to make and turned out beautifully not to mention absolutely delicious. I have to fight off my non-vegan family because they are eating all of it so fast haha! A new favorite. Might try adding a few walnuts next time to see if that makes it even better.

• August 29, 2014 at 2:07 pm: Matt

Hi! I must say, this recipe is FABULOUS and I use it all the time. It’s nice and moist as it is, but since I prefer a drier, fluffier texture I usually omit the salt and use 2 teaspoons baking soda total.

It’s also a very flexible recipe, and I like to change it up since I make it so often. So far, these are my favorite variations, which I like to mix and match:

– Soy or Rice/Quinoa milk instead of Almond milk
    – Canned 100% Pure Pumpkin instead of the bananas
    – Substitute whole oats for some of the flour
    – Add freshly ground flaxseed and chopped nuts (I like pecans)
    – Bake in muffin tins instead of a loaf (usually takes about 20-25 minutes at 350 F, I make these weekly for school snacks and they’re the bomb)
    – Reduce sugar to 1/2 cup for more of a snack and less of a dessert
    – If I’m in a hurry, I just do 6 T boiling water and 3 T cocoa powder and just mix it into the whole thing! Not as artsy, but still delicious :P

Yum. Definitely recommend this recipe to everyone, vegans and non vegans alike!! (:

• September 14, 2014 at 7:04 pm: hospitality teacher

This was AMAZING. Made it today and cannot believe how good it is. Thank you!