December 27, 2011

Puffy Pillow Pancakes

Makes 6 Pancakes
Time: 30 minutes

Puffy Pillow Pancakes

I miss NYC the most during the holidays. Any holiday, really, but mostly on Jewish Xmas. If you’re not familiar with Jewish Xmas, it involves Chinese Food and a movie. I always celebrate with my mom, but your family member mileage may vary.

I’m not sure Jewish Xmas can really exist anywhere outside of NYC. While the rest of the country seems to shut down and sink into a comfy sleepiness, it’s a busy busy day in New York. Restaurants do some of their best business, the movie theaters are packed. You can’t truly experience it anywhere else, I guess it’s like American Mardis Gras in that way. Jewish Xmas without NYC is like Mardis Gras without Bourbon Street.

So what’s that got to do with pancakes?

Well, I started ruminating on the ghosts of Jewish Xmas past. In particular, I was trying to recall all the movies I’ve seen on December 25th throughout my entire life. My memory is painfully shabby, but I thought of one year where it was just my mom and me, and we saw Dan In Real Life starring Steve Carrel and Juliette Binoche. I don’t remember much about that movie except for one thing: the pivotal pancake scene.

Juliette Binoche was flipping these magnificent golden brown creatures on a griddle. I think she was pissed off about something, but all I could concentrate on were those puffy pillows of pancakes, perfectly golden brown, lined up like jewel cushions on display.

Ever since, I’ve been obsessing on a pancake like that. I’ve gotten the size and shape right, but often at the expense of the texture. Too doughy, or undercooked. I think my main failing was that I wanted to see air bubbles as the pancakes cooks, but when a pancake is that thick, it’s just not going to happen, and now I know that is okay.

Since there was no Chinese restaurant open, I set about finally getting these totally right: golden, almost crumpet-like in appearance, billowy and substantial but not inelegant. I used the recipe I’d been tweaking, but I got the brilliant and innovative idea to google “Thick Puffy Pancake” and realized I hadn’t been using enough baking powder. A little adjustment and voila — perfect puffs on pancakeness. The stuff of dreams! It was a true Jewish Xmas miracle.

They’re simple so don’t let these tips intimidate you. But I do want to share some lessons I’ve learned the hard way:

~ Don’t use an electric mixer for the batter. Overmixed pancakes tend to result in a dense pancake. I use a dinner fork to get everything mixed.

~ You have to let the batter rest for ten minutes or so. The vinegar and the baking powder need to react with each other and the gluten needs to settle in and rest.

~Don’t crowd the pan. Even in my big cast iron, I don’t make more than two pancakes at once.

~ Don’t use too much oil in the pan. It will result in a tough exterior. A very thin layer of oil is what you want and a spray can of organic canola oil works perfectly for this.

~ Preheat the pan for a good ten minutes. I use cast iron and put it on moderate low heat (right around 3 on my stovetop), but you will probably need to adjust a little to get the temp just right. Remember, the temp is not set in stone. Lower and raise in tiny increments as needed. Even turning the dial 1/4 inch can result in big changes.

~ Use a measuring cup (with a rounded bottom if possible) to scoop out the batter. And remember to always spray ithe cup between pancakes, to prevent sticking.

~ Once you drop the pancake in, refrain from futzing with the batter too much. But don’t be afraid to delicately nudge the batter a tiny bit with your fingers to get a more circular shape and more even cooking. But the batter should spread a tiny bit and puff up all on its own.

And now let the pancakes begin!

Puffy Pillow Pancakes

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt

1 cup almond milk (or soy milk)
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center.

Measure the milk into a measuring cup. Add vinegar and ground flax seeds, and use a fork to vigorously mix the ingredients until foamy. This will take a minute or so.

Pour the milk mixture into the center of the dry ingredients. Add the water, canola oil and vanilla and use a fork to mix until a thick, lumpy batter forms. That should take about a minute. It doesn’t need to be smooth, just make sure you get all the ingredients incorporated.

Preheat the pan over medium-low heat and let the batter rest for 10 minutes.

Lightly coat the pan in oil. Add 1/3 cup of batter for each pancake, and cook for about 4 minutes, until puffy. Flip the pancakes, adding a new coat of oil to the pan, and cook for another 3 minutes or so. Pancake should be about an inch thick, and golden brown.

Rest pancakes on a cooling rack covered with tin foil until ready to serve. To reheat, place pancakes in on a baking sheet covered with tin foil in a  300 F degree oven for 5 minutes or so.

• December 27, 2011 at 7:03 pm: Ellie-Marie

Wow! Look at those Bad Boys!

• December 27, 2011 at 7:08 pm: Kamaile

Yumm

• December 27, 2011 at 7:09 pm: JJ

These look awesome! I love the story you included in this post! :)

• December 27, 2011 at 7:09 pm: Crystal

woah, YUM. I’ll be making these ASAP! Thank you so much for sharing this.

• December 27, 2011 at 7:10 pm: AusFox

I can’t wait to make these!

• December 27, 2011 at 7:15 pm: Melanie

Oh mama !

• December 27, 2011 at 7:26 pm: RandiJM

Amazing! Can’t wait to make them.
    Also, Ruthie Pigface Draper is my fave song.

• December 27, 2011 at 7:33 pm: lou

wow i made american pancakes this morning wish id seen these before jealous and probabley having pancakes with my dinner now :)

• December 27, 2011 at 7:42 pm: Elana

Jewish Xmas happens in Philly, too! Getting Chinese food and seeing a movie on Xmas is one of my favorite things about the holidays! Have you seen this? http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/ATT00001.jpeg It’s hilarious.

These pancakes look amazing, and totally worthy of that scene from Dan in Real Life (great movie). Can’t wait to try them!

• December 27, 2011 at 7:55 pm: Meagan

Would adding blueberries take away from the wonderful fluffiness of these pancakes?

• December 28, 2011 at 12:12 am: IsaChandra

I’m not positive, but I think if they burst it would deflate the pancake. I could be wrong! Let me know if you try it.

• December 27, 2011 at 8:16 pm: Molly

We love our Jewish Xmas in Boston! Chinatown is right next to the big Cinema, so it’s an easy one-stop shop for all that is right in the world. Can’t wait to try these pancakes, they are tremendous!

• December 27, 2011 at 8:18 pm: IsaChandra

Yeah, I guess I should have said that it can’t happen outside of the East Coast. Me and my NYcentric ways!

• December 27, 2011 at 8:36 pm: Heather

I want to make these! but I don’t have flax. could I leave it out or substitute something else?…

• December 28, 2011 at 12:11 am: IsaChandra

It’s necessary for the structure. I tried a lot of things and this recipe was pretty temperamental, so I would follow it to a T.

• December 27, 2011 at 9:16 pm: Apron Appeal

Puffy vegan pancakes? Is it april fools already? I’m a doubter. A skeptic. whatever the word is for a person who has to see to beleive! Guess I know what’s on the menu for tomorrow.

• December 27, 2011 at 10:34 pm: Martha

Jewish Xmas definitely happens in Boston. The pancakes look amazing and I think are my daughter’s favorite food – I will make these this week while she’s home on break and can’t wait to see her smile. Thanks!

• December 27, 2011 at 11:05 pm: tofulish

These look epic! Thank you <3

• December 27, 2011 at 11:43 pm: Kat

Ok…so I totally wish I lived in NYC and next door to you! I live in the smallest of towns and EVERYTHING shuts down the day before xmas, xmas and the day after!!

• December 28, 2011 at 12:22 am: Sonnische

These look great! Omaha’s loss in restaurants is our gain! Btw, this Jewish Xmas we went to BAM to see The Descendants & then to Park Slope for Chinese where it was SRO with hungry Jews, but they had a whole page of vegan faux meat dishes! Vegan sesame chicken. Ahh. Will try your pillow-cake recipe soon.

• December 28, 2011 at 12:28 am: Luv What You Do

Jewish Xmas is alive and strong in Chicago! We get together with family friends (who I happened to go to Jewish Pre-School with) for movies and of course Chinese. I remember the year that my mom picked Flubber for Xmas. What an awful movie! She wans’t allowed to pick after that : ) We saw the non cartoon Peter Pan remake one year and last year was Sherlock Holmes. When I lived in Memphis (where Jewish Xmas does NOT exist), I rented and watched Cars. Love the pancakes…they look great. Maybe New Years Day breakfast!

• December 28, 2011 at 12:39 am: Charlotte

This is probably a stupid question, but I don’t want to mess up a whole batch. Does it affect the fluffiness if you add fruit like berries and bananas to the batter?

• December 28, 2011 at 1:02 am: katy from diningwithdusty

Gorgeous! I remember that scene in “Dan in Real Life”, too. Pancakes would steal any scene.

• December 28, 2011 at 2:13 am: Danielle

I can’t wait to try these this Sunday! I’ve been missing fluffy pancakes. My pancakes always turn out thin and tough.

• December 28, 2011 at 5:22 am: Deirdrizzle

I JUST tried these… apart from my having no skills in flipping, they turned out great! They rose perfectly and had the right amount of gooeyness/crunchiness. Thanks for sharing!

• December 28, 2011 at 7:17 am: virtual.jess

My partner is thrilled for me to try these. He has always been skeptical about vegan pancakes, cause they don’t puff enough- these will certainly do the trick!

Oh, and Jewish Christmas is a civil holiday in Thornhill, Ontario. I think I was the only non-Jew in my public school. I have a long standing tradition of having the other kids over for Christmas evening dessert and drinks before the movies. Mind you, I also was the post-school bacon and grilled cheese sandwich destination for the same reason… oh how things have changed!

• December 28, 2011 at 9:07 am: Phoenix

These look amazing! Need to make them ASAP. (It’s a good thing I always have the necessary ingredients.)

• December 28, 2011 at 3:18 pm: Barb@ThatWasVegan?

My hubby and I celebrated Jewish Xmas here in Colorado.. and we’re not even Jewish :)

Those pancakes look delicious!

• December 28, 2011 at 5:33 pm: IsaChandra

Hee, yes, Jewish Xmas is definitely catching on with everyone!

• December 28, 2011 at 5:12 pm: Vegiegail

I love Barb’s comment! LOL!

Jewish Xmas happens in Miami, too! (Our family brought it with us from NYC!) Ours included the infamous Hanukkah bush. My dad always made sure we had a new 12″ artificial table-top job every year. By the time I was 8, our coffee table was covered with them, and we had one for each crazy night of gifts!

I’ve never seen such fluffy pancakes! I will be trying my hand at these on New Year’s morning, for sure!

• December 28, 2011 at 5:56 pm: Kristin

Mmm .. I have been making pancakes for probably a week straight now for my brother, and I couldn’t eat any since they weren’t vegan. I just made these, but I used half whole wheat and half spelt flour because that is all I had, and I added some chocolate chips and they turned out amazing! It’s really funny because every time I feel like making something, I go to your site and you have just posted a new recipe of what I wanted to eat!

• December 28, 2011 at 8:16 pm: Mojo

I can’t wait to make these. All of the recipes on this website turn out to be the best of whatever I’m making that I’ve ever had. I finally bought Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, and I’m itching to try every recipe. :)

• December 28, 2011 at 9:53 pm: Corinne

This year was the first year I didn’t get to have a partial Jewish Xmas. It’s been a long-standing tradition with me and my mom to see a movie on Dec. 25th, but for some reason we didn’t this year! Columbus, OH is iffy when it comes to the restaurant selections on the 25th. In the “cowtown proper” (I refuse to call Columbus a city), a lot of the bars open up around 7pm or so. Almost all of the Chinese or Thai restaurants are of course open as usual. But outside of the “downtown” area, very very VERY few such locations are even open. It was a stretch to find anything at all!

• December 29, 2011 at 4:30 am: IsaChandra

I’ll be in Columbus this weekend!

• December 28, 2011 at 10:39 pm: Uly

The trick I use to get fluffy pancakes is I replace some or all of the wet ingredients with club soda. Works like a charm!

• December 29, 2011 at 1:29 am: Colleen

I made these, followed all the tips, patiently set my timer for each step, and they came out fluffier & more evenly cooked than pretty much any pancakes I’ve ever made. Absolute success! http://instagr.am/p/cbLY4/

• December 29, 2011 at 4:29 am: Maggie

These looks amaziiiiing!!! I can’t wait to try them!!! :D

• December 29, 2011 at 2:18 pm: Kate

My three-year-old and I just made these. We tripled the recipe (I have 4 kids) and they are so big and fluffy!

• December 29, 2011 at 2:19 pm: Kate

Ooops I forgot to add that we used white whole wheat flour for added nutrition and they still turned out great.

• December 29, 2011 at 4:48 pm: Ellie-Marie

Just checking back in to say I’ve made this twice now. They were great! I imagined they were going to be as fluffy as the banana-pecan pancakes from VWAV, because they’re quite fluffy and thick. But these bad boys were wayyyyyy thicker and fluffier.
    Mmmm! I’m hungry again, I wonder if making pancakes at 4;48 in the afternoon is a bad thing. Where’s my pancake pan?

• December 29, 2011 at 4:52 pm: IsaChandra

How cool!

• December 29, 2011 at 7:30 pm: Emily Becker

I made these this morning for my family and we all LOVED them! Light and fluffy and flavor was amazing… but I have a question – mine didn’t puff up like yours (more like regular pancakes) and I’m wondering what I did wrong? I did notice that despite my crazy lady whipping of the almond milk and apple cider vinegar, the mixture never got “foamy” as you describe. All ingredients were fresh. Any thoughts? Thanks for this and for all your great recipes :)
    p.s. Hope you had a wonderful Jewish Christmas – we had a great one here in San Francisco!

• December 30, 2011 at 5:37 am: IsaChandra

Did the batter spread when you put it in the pan? Maybe it was too liquidy for some reason?

• December 29, 2011 at 9:14 pm: Summer

These are hands down the best pancakes I’ve ever made. I added a healthy dose of cinnamon and they are amazing!

• December 30, 2011 at 12:56 pm: Sherry

Yum! I made these for my 15 year old son and myself yesterday. Well, he asked for them again for breakfast. You have a winner here!

• December 30, 2011 at 1:09 pm: Connie Fletcher

Just to let you know, Isa, Jewish Xmas happens in lil’ ol’ Vermont as well. My hubby and I went for Chinese and the movie theater was soooo slammin’ we couldn’t believe it. Movies were sold out 45 minutes BEFORE showtime!! Those pancakes are magnificent…although I would expect nothing less than magnificance from you…….

• December 30, 2011 at 6:32 pm: Sarah

Isa, I can’t wait to try this recipe! We are Eastern Orthodox, so we celebrate Xmas on January 7th. Our “western Xmas” is much like your “Jewish Xmas”–Chinese food and movies–with wine thrown in for good measure. Thanks for all of the wonderful recipes. In our religious tradition, we are vegan for 1/2 the year, so your books come in super handy.

• December 30, 2011 at 6:54 pm: Parker

These were fantastic. Every other vegan pancake recipe I’ve tried resulted in heavy, dense pancakes, so when I cut into these and saw actual air pockets I almost died. Totally delicious, perfect texture, and the husband likes them too. Success!

• December 30, 2011 at 9:55 pm: Rach

Absolutely fantasmigorical! Made them this morning double batch and my whole family wanted more– I did use heart shaped pancacke rings for the kiddies which just makes it more fun, but these are positively the most fluffy pancakes I’ve had in my entire life. The best part is–no eggs. Thanks Isa!

• December 31, 2011 at 1:04 am: The Cozy Herbivore

These look amazing– the perfect combination of fluffy and crispy! Pass the maple syrup, please…

• December 31, 2011 at 2:21 am: Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles

So excited to learn all your pancake secrets! Definitely my favorite breakfast food.

• December 31, 2011 at 3:16 am: Allison Dubya

My husband celebrated Jewish Xmas every year here in Chicago until we started dating and I took him home with me for Christmas that first time. I remember in the days before our relationship seeing previews for movies that open on Christmas Day and wondering naively “Who goes to the movies on Christmas?” only to find out that they’re packed to the point where you’re hard pressed to find a seat, according to him. :-)

I heart puffy pancakes too! I have been using your vegan brunch recipe for years with all my notes and modifications in the margins. I use a tablespoon of baking powder and use sugar instead of maple syrup (for crunch) and sub melted earth balance for the oil and added apple cider vinegar to the almond milk. It looks like we’re on the same wavelength because that’s pretty much what you did too! I’m going to have to try it with your proportions and with the flax addition. I’ll bet that’ll make it a million times better than mine.

Thanks for always sharing such great stuff, Isa! You’re a goddess!!!! :-)

• December 31, 2011 at 5:45 pm: Kat

Made these twice in two days! Big hit with adults and of course kids. First batch I made as written. Second batch I doubled and used 2 cups of white wheat and one cup all purpose. I also forgot to add the sugar!!!!!! No one noticed but me! I also used half oil and half applesauce. Next time I will use all white wheat and all applesauce and reduce sugar by half and I think they will still be delicious! Thanks for such a versatile recipe!

• December 31, 2011 at 6:02 pm: Martha

Excellent pancakes – made this morning for my daughter as promised. Fluffy and delicious. Your tips about heating the griddle, letting batter rest, etc. were great, too. I was all set to have some salad or something for lunch (she’s a late-riser) but these smelled so good I had pancakes instead. Love the tip about adding some cinnamon – will try that next time. I did find them a tad salty, so will probably cut down on that ingredient next time. My only regret is that we’re now out of maple syrup, so I can’t have them again tonight – they’d make a great little supper or midnight snack.

• December 31, 2011 at 6:17 pm: Amy J

Just made these, amazing!!!

• December 31, 2011 at 8:13 pm: Jessica

My perpetual new year’s resolution is to learn to make pancakes – my cooking Achilles Heel. Finally, on NYE, I have fulfilled it!! Thank you Isa!

• December 31, 2011 at 9:38 pm: Michelle

So so so so yummy!!! Used vanilla coconut milk as my milk substitute. they turned out perfect!

• January 1, 2012 at 1:43 am: nibor

say boo! perfect pancake recipe. also, i know it looks weird, but it’s mardi gras.

• January 1, 2012 at 4:43 am: Becky L

Come to Chicago for Jewish Xmas! We have an awesome Chinatown which is packed with Jewish and Chinese people on Christmas Eve and day. Even though we live way out in the suburbs we always run into someone we know in Chinatown on Xmas!

• January 1, 2012 at 4:41 pm: Jess E.

Unfortunately, I did not get the rise on these like the picture.

• January 1, 2012 at 7:08 pm: Cameron

Woke up after a very late New Years Eve and threw these together in no time flat. Even without my cast iron pan, these turned out beautifully. I smothered them in organic crunchy peanut butter, and am planning on experimenting with banana and chocolate chips for next time. Great recipe! My pictures had friends (even non-vegan ones) drooling :)

• January 1, 2012 at 7:38 pm: Samantha

These were so yummy! Just like diner pancakes! (WHY CAN’T DINERS HAVE MORE VEGAN PANCAKES???) My bf said it was hard to believe there wasn’t butter in there… I missed the serving size and was bummed to only have 6 pancakes to share with the bf– especially because I burned a couple trying to find the sweet spot on our burner… I was a little afraid to check as they cooked because I wanted them to poof poof poof and didn’t want to disrupt the rising. Even burnt though, they still tasted fluffy and awesome. Could these work with WW pastry flour, too? And if I double or triple the recipe for guests, would the batter be okay waiting while the rest cook, or should I make the batches separately? Happy New Year!!! Thanks for the recipe!

• January 1, 2012 at 8:17 pm: Diane

no rise
    so disappointed
    i keep my flour in the freezer
    could this be why

• January 1, 2012 at 9:37 pm: Martha

The one thing I’ve never done before that I DID with this recipe, is let the batter rest – that seemed to really get some bubbles/fluffiness going. Did you let your batter rest, Diane?

• January 1, 2012 at 10:12 pm: La Gourmandesse

Oh wow! I heart pancakes, and have never managed to find an egg and dairy free recipe that recreated the perfect fluffiness of a traditional recipe. Next time I crave pancakes, I’m taking this baby for a spin! Thanks!

• January 2, 2012 at 3:14 pm: Priscilla

I just made these pancakes for breakfast. These were the best vegan pancakes I have ever made. I added blueberries to mine after I poured the batter in the pan. They were not quite as thick as the ones in the picture but still quite fluffy. Thanks for another great recipe!

• January 2, 2012 at 6:46 pm: Lisa

did you use white all purpose flour,or can it be wheat or oat flour?

• January 2, 2012 at 8:02 pm: Samantha

Lisa– if you do use wheat flour, I’d make sure it’s whole wheat pastry flour. Regular whole grain flours are a lot heavier than all-purpose. I’m not sure that WW pastry flour works, but if a whole grain flour is going to work, that’s the one to try first.

• January 2, 2012 at 8:49 pm: Shanon

Made these this weekend and they were delicious! I will use this recipe for pancakes from now on! Thanks Isa!

• January 2, 2012 at 10:09 pm: JJ @ 84thand3rd

Looks like I know what I’m having for dinner! Yup, these look amazing. So glad I came across your site – Happy New Year!

• January 3, 2012 at 12:32 am: amy

ISA your awesome !!! these were by far the best vegan pancakes !!! i added some frozen blueberries n blackberries (my kids wanted smiley faces) and topped them with EB butter spread and cinnamon n sugar mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm if i wasnt so full after one i could eat these all night !!! thanx again!!!

• January 3, 2012 at 4:26 pm: Candace

Just making these now, they are a hit! Added frozen blueberries to one side as the other was cooking, and used all whole wheat flour – no problems :)

• January 3, 2012 at 6:15 pm: misty

i’ve done jewish xmas in NYC and it kinda can’t be beat. now we do it dallas, and i gotta say…veritable who’s who of the jewish (and chinese) community in every chinese resturant in town. best part of the holiday! love the pancakes – i’ve made them in very similar ratios using gluten free flour mix since we are GFCF around our house. love your website – one of my faves for dairy free recipes! happy gregorian new year to you. :)

• January 3, 2012 at 8:58 pm: Benji

Made these for my girlfriend for a surprise special breakfast a few hours ago, and they are definitely the best pancakes I’ve ever done. We agreed this will be our new go-to pancake recipe for sure.

• January 4, 2012 at 4:54 am: Ashley

Gorgeous pancakes!

• January 4, 2012 at 8:51 pm: Sophie

MMMMMMM,…I rarely eat pancakes but these thicker fluffy looking pancakes caught my eyes & mouth directly!

Yummie food! :)

• January 5, 2012 at 5:52 pm: Sylvia

These were delicious! I’ve been eating the leftovers, toasted with pumpkin butter as a mid-morning snack.

• January 6, 2012 at 12:11 am: Laura Brooke Allen

So so so so good. Did not have all purpose, still DELICIOUS with whole wheat. Fluffy pillows of comfort, indeed! Y’all have brought SO much joy my way this year.

• January 6, 2012 at 2:04 pm: Cheryl

I made these yesterday with applesauce instead of oil and used cooking spray instead of oil in the pan. I made the batter and let it rest, then started running errands and didn’t get back to cooking for like an hour…these pancakes were ginormous and amazing!! I don’t know if it was the extra “resting” time or if it would have been the same after 10 minutes, but these were the BEST vegan pancakes I have ever had. bravo!

• January 6, 2012 at 4:27 pm: Et tu, Tofu?

I am not such a fan of pancakes, but these look amazing. I can totally see the compromise between me and my family: they get to eat home-cooked pancakes and we all get to eat vegan.

• January 7, 2012 at 3:08 pm: Anne

Just made them, fabulous!

• January 7, 2012 at 6:11 pm: JJ

Superb! They made a believer out of someone on the fence about pancakes, and to the other person obsessed with pancakes they were an absolute delight! Thanks for the recipe!

• January 7, 2012 at 6:54 pm: Britany

THANK YOU Isa! My families search for the good vegan pancakes has come to an end. These are a tad crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside and they taste just like the non-vegan variety. Most vegan pancakes have this glue like consistency that sticks weirdly to the roof of your mouth not these. My boys LOVE their pancakes and this morning all I heard was MOM i WANT MORE PANCAKES so we had to make another batch. Looking forward to making and eating these again. Oh and make sure you spray your cup between pancake pourings you’ll want to make sure you use every last drop of the batter.

• January 8, 2012 at 3:39 pm: Connie Fletcher

YUM!!! These do exactly what you said they would do, and they are delicious!! Thank you for the recipe.
    I don’t know if you have ever been to That Was Vegan by Barb as listed above, but she has a Butternut Mac and Cheeze that is beyond belief….try it out………..

• January 8, 2012 at 4:29 pm: Fenice

These were amazing! Best pancakes I’ve made: an infinitesimally thin layer of crispiness, enveloping a soft, sweet interior. Delicious!

• January 9, 2012 at 1:20 pm: Amanda Jean

These are the best! I made them the other day, and I was a little worried because the batter tasted very baking soda-y, but there was no trace of it in the cooked pancake. These are also HUGE, I could only eat 1 1/2 when I can normally be counted on for at least three or four. I also added chocolate chips, which I thought might deflate them a little but they were still lovely and pillow-y. Thanks, Isa!

• January 9, 2012 at 4:07 pm: Britt von strange

Currently eating these bad boys. I am in pure love! I am going to try these with whole wheat flour next time :3

• January 10, 2012 at 6:05 pm: Bloodclot

these are unreal! in the last batch we made we used a little bit of coarse salt and it was magic. they should be called magic pancakes.

• January 12, 2012 at 12:39 am: Heather

I just got pancake batter on my iPad screen :-D loooove these pancakes!!!

• January 13, 2012 at 1:36 am: Monica

OK I LOVE pancakes and these are to die for!!!

• January 13, 2012 at 6:49 am: Heather

It’s nearly 2am and this recipe made me crave pancakes so much that I immediately started making them. I feel like I’m in college again.

• January 15, 2012 at 10:32 am: stef

holy flapjack! these are the best vegan pancakes I have ever made! I added blueberries,,, amazing

• January 16, 2012 at 12:56 am: Christina

These were amazing!!!!! I didn’t have ground flax seeds, I modified the recipe by adding an extra 1/2 Tbsp oil and added 1/3c water instead of 1/2 c. They were just as fluffy as the picture!!!

• January 19, 2012 at 10:08 am: alyx

Pan-flippin-tastic! I went a health step further and did a cup of whole wheat flour with 1/2 cup of all-purpose, and they still rocked. The texture is unbelievable, and they were so irresistibly fluffy that the first one that came off the griddle went directly to my mouth. Something else, too; I didn’t have any apple cider vinegar on hand, so I used white vinegar and a teaspoon of(here’s the muy interasante part)coconut extract. I’m no cook, and most of my spontaneous substitutions end in yuckiness and/or tears, but THIS was a freakin’ gift from the vegan heavens. The coconut worked so well with the earthy taste of the whole wheat, plus the unbeatable cake like feel of the pancake, that I actually swooned like the York peppermint patty model from the commercial. I know this is a long one, but this recipe deserves all the accolades. It’s versatile, hardy, and just all around spectacular. THANK YOU ISA!!!!!

• January 19, 2012 at 3:50 pm: JJ

We tried these again, this time with a gluten-free flour mix (Bob’s Redmill). They worked well: not quite as puffy as with white flour, but still puffier than other gluten-free pancakes. We did have to add somewhere between another 1/2 cup and a full cup of flour to get the right consistency. Feel free to try these as gluten-pancakes – it worked for us!

• January 19, 2012 at 3:51 pm: JJ

*gluten-free

• January 19, 2012 at 3:59 pm: Shelly

These were the BEST pancakes we’d ever made or had in this house!! They were super fluffy & light, and the taste was ridiculous. We added a tsp of cinnamon like you do in VwaV, and WOW!! We made them with your Smoky Maple Sausages & drizzled everything with Maple Syrup, and it was quite delightful. I’m ready for another cookbook. ;)

• January 19, 2012 at 6:50 pm: IsaChandra

Woohoo!

• January 19, 2012 at 4:01 pm: Shelly

P.S. We made them two mornings in a row! Both days off. Tradition is we always make pancakes with our 2 year old on my guy’s days off, but we normally only have to make them once because there are leftovers. Not this time!!

• January 20, 2012 at 2:27 am: Sarah

I made these for my daughter this week and WOW are they a winner!!! I will make this again this coming weekend…THANK YOU!

• January 20, 2012 at 10:19 pm: Heather B.

I just have to say that I’ve made these twice now—YUM! I’ve doubled the recipe each time, and the one change I made was to use 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour to 2 cups all purpose flour, and it works perfectly. Thanks for the ideal pancake recipe!

• January 21, 2012 at 3:26 pm: Misiu

Just made them. Very, very good. I will try maple syrup instead of sugar next time. Didn’t want to mess with the recipe the first time around. I had been making pancakes from The Joy of Vegan Baking and that recipe calls for half a cup maple syrup, which gives another layer of flavor. Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe.

• January 22, 2012 at 10:25 pm: Donna garcia

What can you substitute for a vegan wheat free (gluten ok) pancake?

• January 23, 2012 at 3:19 pm: JJ

Donna, I made them gluten free. All I did was substitute Bob’s Redmill Gluten Free Flour mix, but I had to add an extra 1/2 cup of it to get it thick enough.

• January 25, 2012 at 6:28 pm: Annelise

I just made these for a 4 year old and they were scarfed down! Thanks for having some kid friendly recipes.

• January 27, 2012 at 1:02 pm: Ellie

Pancakes have always been a family favorite, especially with my daughter. Now that she’s in college I always welcome her home with a pancake breakfast. These were amazing and I didn’t get the usual, “Are these vegan? What’s in them?” remarks. BTW, It’s funny that you mentioned the movie “Dan in Real Life.” My daughter was an extra in that movie, when she was 12. Seems so long ago!

• January 28, 2012 at 4:05 am: Molly

Isa, I don’t know why these pancakes won’t get puffy for me! I tried the recipe twice, and each time I completely failed! I didn’t change anything from your recipe except that I don’t have a cast iron pan. The only other thing I could think of was that my baking powder is pretty old- could that make a difference? I found that the batter was pretty thin once I added the water- I almost feel like I should have left it out completely… Any thoughts?

• January 28, 2012 at 3:24 pm: IsaChandra

The batter should be very thick, even with the water. Is it possible you’re mismeasuring? What kind of measuring cups are you using?

• January 28, 2012 at 2:20 pm: Brandon

So I’ve now made these 4 times and this time I was out of Almond milk so I used Coconut milk. Loved it! Try it.

• January 28, 2012 at 5:46 pm: Andie

Made these for the first time this morning, and they were PERFECT! And so delicious!

• January 29, 2012 at 4:20 pm: Robin

Amazing! These are the first vegan pancakes I’ve made that aren’t gummy inside (and I’ve tried a lot of recipes before stumgling upon this website). Even my non-vegan family members liked these!

• January 29, 2012 at 8:07 pm: Hilary

Just made these and they were a-mazing!!!! Thanks for the awesome recipe!!

• January 31, 2012 at 10:47 am: shar

Can I replace the milk with a fruit juice ?

• January 31, 2012 at 12:49 pm: Toni

I’ve made these twice and they’ve come out perfect everytime. I don’t want to make pancakes any other way now!

• February 3, 2012 at 5:42 am: Annie

YUM! These are my new favorites. I’ve been making the same (from scratch) pancakes for years, but I will be now making these. I’m glad I tried them!

• February 3, 2012 at 6:31 pm: Amber

I have to tell you. When I saw how fluffy these pancakes were and realised that I too could access such fluffiness, I literally tear’d up. They were just so beautiful. OK, so I must be getting close to that time of the month… but just the same, I’m making these babies for breakfast tomorrow. Thanks again.

• February 3, 2012 at 11:15 pm: IsaChandra

Oh I’ve cried tears of pancake, too.

• February 4, 2012 at 8:31 pm: Sarah

I’ve made these pancakes every weekend since reading this post. They are amazing. I won’t make pancakes any other way.

• February 5, 2012 at 2:13 pm: Johnny

I am making these for the second time. Sooo good ! We added banana to ours. They just keep getting better. Thank you for the recipe!

• February 7, 2012 at 11:15 pm: Sarah

I made these for my (non-vegan) family and they were so impressed. I have never had such a wonderfully fluffy pancake! They were also super easy to make. Definitely a keeper. Thanks!

• February 8, 2012 at 1:17 am: Adrienne

I made these, and liked them, but really hoped to LOVE them. I used whole wheat pastry flour–could that have kept them from being as fluffy as expected?

• February 8, 2012 at 8:20 pm: Denny A

I made a batch of these and they are great . They a very much the lighter, fluffier type of pancake not heavy like others. The ingredient that surprised me was the apple cider vinegar, I’ve never heard of that in a pancake recipe. Definitely give this batter a try like the old commercial once said “they’re fluffy not stuffy”

• February 11, 2012 at 5:47 pm: krysi

OMG, these are so good! I make almost 3 times a week, my whole family, baby included, love them!! Mine dont get this puffy for some reason? I use whole wheat pastry flour, is that why? Regardless, I have to double the batch every time and there are NEVER any left. Also, I didnt have any “milk” one time, so I made banana milk, and these were so good, with that hint of banana flavor mixed in, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Thank you for giving us this totally awesome recipe!

• February 16, 2012 at 12:20 pm: Annie

I just made them for my birthday brunch, and they were a SMASH HIT!!!! probably the best pancakes i ever had! HIGHLY RECOMMENDABLE!!!

• February 17, 2012 at 2:48 pm: Kate

Yum! These are the best pancakes I’ve ever made. You’re right, the key is letting the batter sit! I never knew that. I’ve made them 3-4 times now and they’re consistently delicious. Non-vegan friends I served breakfast to were begging for the recipe. I’ve also made your pancakes in Vegan with a Vengeance which only came out so-so. This pancake recipe kicks ass! Thanks so much for sharing it.

• February 18, 2012 at 5:27 pm: Sonia

Jeesum crow. I made these this morning. Brilliant! Had them with coconut syrup and smart links. Thank you for being born.

• February 22, 2012 at 1:48 am: maria

made these for dinner/dessert and added chocolate chips – mine didn’t puff up but they were fantastic nonetheless! topped them with sauteed bananas with cinnamon and brown sugar and chopped walnuts. so decadently delicious.

• February 22, 2012 at 7:55 pm: Blueberries

I made these yesterday for Pancake Tuesday, they were delicious :D

• February 26, 2012 at 12:37 am: bianca

Hi Isa,
    Is the ground flax seed a must. Flax seed does not do wonderful things for my stomach. Sorry for the TMI. Thanks!

• February 27, 2012 at 10:01 pm: Sara

I can’t wait to try these. I’ve tried several vegan pancake recipes and they never compare to the Alton Brown “buttermilk and eggs and half a stick of butter” recipe my husband adores. Let’s see if I can convert him with these,

• February 29, 2012 at 2:48 am: JJ

Once again: these are fabulous pancakes! They taste amazing! I also got crazy and baked some of them up like muffins, and that also turned out great!

• March 1, 2012 at 6:27 am: Mara

I made these with three tablespoons of applesauce instead of flax and they turned out like delicious fluffy pancakes. But I havent compared it to the flax version.

• March 2, 2012 at 3:11 am: Roger

Can’t wait to try your recipe. I’ve been using another recipe and they are the opposite of fluffy but they are incredibly Yummy. Found it here http://www.tammysrecipes.com/whole_wheat_berry_pancakes . Changed is slightly to make them vegan. Would love to read your take on them and how you’d alter.

• March 2, 2012 at 6:38 pm: lydiajean

Great recipe, but I mostly needed to say that as a New Orleans resident I think it’s always important to clarify that Bourbon Street is the LEAST interesting and unimportant spot to be at on Mardi Gras Day (or any bit of carnival season). Check out my friend Jordan’s article for more info http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/five-myths-about-mardi-gras/2012/02/10/gIQAr2cLMR_story.html. Altho I don’t blame ya, lots of misinformation out there.

• March 3, 2012 at 10:57 am: Julie T.

Best vegan pancakes recipe I’ve tried so far! Thank you!

• March 3, 2012 at 5:54 pm: Samantha

These were super tasty but seemed a little dense – maybe I didn’t cook them enough? I made them in a “pig” pan from Urban Outfitters – about 1/2 cup of batter for each, then I just flipped them into another pan to cook the back. They worked more or less but I do think I should have cooked them more. I will use this recipe again! :)

• March 5, 2012 at 12:10 am: Dianna

Mine didn’t ‘fluff’ and my batter was a little watery like some of the other commenters. I was short on almond milk and used 1 C skim milk. Would that make a difference? I doubled the recipe, maybe I didn’t double right. Will definitely try again, though. Tasted good!

• March 6, 2012 at 12:44 am: Mary

These turned out perfect!!! Thanks for the great recipe!

• March 8, 2012 at 7:02 pm: Mary (a different one!)

A word of warning: if you’re going to make these with bob’s red mill gluten-free AP flour, you will need more sugar. I made these with the two tablespoons of sugar specified in the recipe and they were nast. Not the recipe’s fault, it’s because BRM tastes like beans.

• March 8, 2012 at 8:28 pm: IsaChandra

Yeah, not a fan of the stuff at all.

• March 10, 2012 at 1:48 pm: Katie

Thank you! Just made these for my 8 year old non-vegan pancake connoisseur, and he gave them the thumbs ups! Yay for kid-approved vegan recipes!

• March 12, 2012 at 1:31 am: Heather

Made these again for the….at least 20th time. Looooooves! :) Isa- cant wait to see your demo at Texas VegFest in a few weeks in Austin! Woot!!!

• March 23, 2012 at 5:13 pm: Samantha217

These didn’t turn out well for me at all :( They were flat, oily, and didn’t cook on the inside. The only thing I did differently was not add flax seeds since I didn’t have them – would that make the difference? I also used coconut milk this time, but I did that the last time too and it turned out fine then. Sad little pancakes :(

• March 23, 2012 at 6:18 pm: Sara C

Let me tell you, I have tried many, many vegan pancake recipes and this was by far the best. The apple cider vinegar and ground flax seeds were a great idea, and so was resting the batter for a long time. I will definitely make these again – thank you!

@ Samantha – the ground flax really is important since it basically replaces the eggs you normally find in pancakes.

• March 25, 2012 at 2:17 pm: Lily Hargrove

My two boys are so in love with you right now! The pancakes are YUMMY! My husband and I are vegan, the boys are getting there-all our baking is now vegan, thanks in large part to you! A happy accident happened last time I made these-I only used 1 cup of flour (distracted by the pancake loving boys) and ended up with a fabulous sweet crepe, I imagine that leaving the vanilla out would make for a savory crepe. Thanks for a fabulous vegan Sunday morning!

• March 25, 2012 at 7:27 pm: Meg

i made these with whole wheat pastry flour and they worked….ok. but i don’t think it was the flour that didn’t make them quite as puffy. my milk/vinegar/flax seed mixture never really got “foamy” as described in the recipe. i beat that stuff for a while with a fork, nice and vigorous, so i’m not sure what would contribute to that. they were still really good and not as flat or thin as most vegan pancake recipes i’ve tried, albeit a bit dense and i was really careful not to overmix the dough, and i let it sit for a good 10 minutes.

• March 26, 2012 at 4:47 am: IsaChandra

Yeah, WWPF is going to make for a much denser pancake.

• March 28, 2012 at 2:00 am: Meg

ok, good to know! i made them again because i was distubed by the lack of foam i got the first time around and i still can’t get the mixture to what i consider “foamy.” do you just mean that there should be some bubbles on top or does it actually “foam?” perhaps i should stop worrying about it…

• April 1, 2012 at 6:54 pm: DW

Ha ha, had to share our laugh: the first time the hubby made these, he used baking soda instead of powder. Worst. Pancakes. Ever. Do not make that same mistake, people or else it will taste like you are eating antacids. We made them today with baking powder, and they were great!

• April 1, 2012 at 10:24 pm: MFL

These are perfect.

• April 6, 2012 at 10:23 pm: Lisa

I made these this morning with brown rice flour as i was out of apf. I added 1tsp of cinnamon. They did come out fluffy ,however they were crumbly im sure because of the flour. No matter my son ate 5,i did manage to get 1!! I bought some apf this afternoon so i can make these on Easter for brunch.

• April 8, 2012 at 8:10 pm: B'klynHeart

Thank you for another wonderful recipe! This is now my go-to pancake recipe! The Husband and I <3 you always!

• April 12, 2012 at 1:59 pm: amber

Here in Mexico we make these 2 times a week now. Today I used a wisk instead of fork for the flaxseed mixture and talk about foamy! The bowl was completely full and we have not 6 but 10 pancaked this morning. We also iike to smush up some raspberries or blackberries and add to the mix.

• April 13, 2012 at 12:04 am: Amanda

I made them with a small, ripe mashed banana rather than the flaxseed and it worked great! My boyfriend prefers the banana flavor to the more nutty taste of flaxseed for these. Leftovers also delicious reheated in the toaster.

• April 22, 2012 at 11:41 pm: Katherine

Haha, I’m catholic and I still celebrate Christmas the Jewish way. Chinese food and cheesy movies…maybe even popcorn.

• April 26, 2012 at 6:51 pm: Meg

I finally tried this recipe (I’ve been meaning to for some time), and I am in LOVE. So is my husband. And my kid. We’ve been vegan for only about two months now, and it’s recipes like yours that keep our tummies happy. Huge fans! :-)

• April 27, 2012 at 12:37 am: Linda Meziere

I just made these and they were FANTASTIC! Best pancakes ever, vegan or otherwise. So light and fluffy. I will be saving this recipe for sure!
    Thanks Isa. Again.

• April 27, 2012 at 12:38 am: Linda Meziere

And I forgot to mention that I used whole wheat flour only and they were still light and fluffy!

• May 9, 2012 at 1:04 am: Elizabeth

I am currently tearing down a pile of these bad boys. I make them at least once a week with buckwheat flour and it’s unbelievable. Party in ma mouth!

• May 13, 2012 at 3:01 pm: caroline

I didn’t have all the ingredients listed… had to use kamut flour, rice wine vinegar and coconut oil… but still, they turned out fabulously delicious. Thank you, Isa. I’ve said it many times before and I’ll say it again ~ you are fearless in the kitchen!

• May 14, 2012 at 9:40 pm: Michele

I finally made these and they are PHENOMENAL! The BEST pancakes I have ever had, hands down. Better than IHOP. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

• May 17, 2012 at 4:44 pm: April Lyons

Oh my God , I made these this morning, soooo good. I ate 2 of them with a chopped up banana and agave. I would like to know the nutritional information?

• May 20, 2012 at 3:21 pm: Susie formally from NYC now in Upstate NY

Jewish Xmas happens in Florida too! My parents retired to Florida and I would visit at Xmastime. Always, Chinese food and a movie :D Thanks for the memories (and the great recipes)

• May 20, 2012 at 6:07 pm: Rebecca

I have used the “let the batter rest for 10 minutes” method for other pancakes, and it makes ALL pancakes much fluffier!! A while ago I made your pumpkin pancakes from Vegan Brunch, and while they were delicious, they were very thin and flat. This time, I made them exactly the same, but let them rest for about 15-20 minutes before cooking. They ended up super fluffy!!! Not quite as fluffy as when I specifically made these pillow pancakes, but way fluffier than usual. People should use that waiting advice on all pancakes!

• May 27, 2012 at 4:16 pm: Whitney

I just made these gluten free super yum!

• May 27, 2012 at 4:57 pm: Mary

I make these every Sunday morning and triple the recipe; hubby reheats the leftovers for breakfast during the week. I use a combination of whole wheat pastry, buckwheat and all-purpose flours. I also make oat flour by running quick-cooking oats through the blender. I use almond/coconut milk and cut the fat by using half oil and half applesauce. I usually add fresh blueberries. Just finished a plateful. Thanks, Isa!

• June 3, 2012 at 2:38 pm: Rebecca

I just made these and they were so good!!! I used all white whole wheat flower and they were still deliciously puffy and pillowy. I made the blueberry sauce from Vegan with a Vengeance to go with them and it was wonderful. Thanks for this recipe.

• June 5, 2012 at 3:57 am: Kamryn

Hi! I’m visiting at the house of some ferocious omnis and am all out of soymilk. Can I sub warm water? I need to prove to them that these are not something they need to be “forced” to taste. :)

• June 13, 2012 at 3:47 am: CL

I just fried up the most beautiful pancakes I have ever seen.

Although, I did not have flax, but I figured, hey, ground flax is a common egg sub, so I figured a bit of soy yogurt could be a fix while I skimped on water, and they weren’t as thick as an inch, but plenty puffy and fluffy. I still can’t believe I actually made that.

• June 18, 2012 at 6:33 am: Molly

Made these for Father’s Day brunch this morning. Followed the recipe exactly & they were amazing. Made me love my cast iron all the more! My only complaint is that I got just 1 1/2 pancakes. :-) every single one turned out beautifully. My new go-to pancake recipe. XO

• July 1, 2012 at 12:19 pm: Jessica

Thes pancakes are amazing! I make them every weekend now since I fund this recipe in May. I use WW pastry flour and they come out perfect! I also use coconut oil to cook them in the skillet and the smell is heavenly! My kids said they taste like heaven!

• July 4, 2012 at 3:52 pm: Kevin J

Last night My wife and I stayed up kind of late watching TV. out of the blue she said “I want some pancakes. Neither of us had had pancakes for a long time. she is vegan and I am vegetarian for the most part. I will have dairy every once and a while. Well it was 1:00am so I was not getting up to make anything at that time of the night.

so in the morning I woke up and looked on line for a pancake recipe. I wanted to surprise my wife. WOW! these were really good! they tasted great and were really fluffy and took very little time to make. I saved this recipe and will defiantly use it anytime I want pancakes. Thanks for sharing this!

Oh! I earned a lot of brownie points with the wife for making her pancakes as well. :)

• July 8, 2012 at 3:45 pm: Portia

I’m a vegan and just made these for my family (non-vegans). What a success! I made a vegan version cinnamon and sugar butter to go along with, and the kids gobbled them up with no complants!

• July 14, 2012 at 1:42 pm: Molly

Delicious! I made these while we were on vacation in Colorado and worried that they would be less than puffy. Nope! They were perfect!

• July 15, 2012 at 3:29 am: laura

i’ve made these three times now and every time they just get better (because i am actually getting closer to following the directions). the first two times i made them without the flax, because i didn’t have any on hand. the first time i didn’t let the batter rest so my pancakes were kinda flat, but delicious. the second time i let the batter rest and they were even better. the third time around i added the flax and let the batter rest. they were the best! who knew if you followed the directions you’d get near isa-perfection?! thank you for creating an amazing vegan pancake.

• July 15, 2012 at 6:06 pm: Sherlock

They tasted good….a little salty though.

• July 20, 2012 at 10:58 pm: Cynthia

I have made these so many times now — double batches usually. Also, I discovered by accident, the first time I made them, that they taste AMAZING when made with coconut oil. (It was the only oil I had at the time.) I have also frozen them with great success and warmed them up in a moistened paper towel in the microwave.

• July 21, 2012 at 5:54 pm: amanda

these were good – i put blueberries in mine, one by one – after i had put the batter in the pan. they were great.
    used grape seed oil instead of canola – both in the recipe and on the pan. i cooked them on a cast iron skillet over low heat.

thanks – great recipe.

• July 21, 2012 at 8:35 pm: Colleen

These are the best pancakes!! The kids & I love to make these on the weekend. We have also substituted whole wheat pastry flour for the white flour and it works perfectly. Thanks for a great recipe.

• July 22, 2012 at 10:45 am: Cheps

This i s the B E S T. pancacke recipe – vegan AND non-vegan – I’ve ever made. Thanks Isa so much for sharing this. I love your site and your books and am looking forward to your next one. Love from Vienna, Austria (not Australia)

• July 27, 2012 at 1:54 pm: Anna

I made these gluten free and they still turned out delicious.

• August 3, 2012 at 4:56 am: Elisabeth

Does it have to be canola oil? Is there a better (healthier, less processed) option? I can’t see olive oil working, but I don’t want to use canola…

• August 11, 2012 at 4:11 pm: vanessa S.

These were soooooo amazinnggg! Thank you so much for posting these wonderful recipes. I accidentally added too much water but they came out with a crepe-like consistency. I also added some lavender flower buds and the flavor was fabulous. My boyfriend said they were the best pancakes he’s ever had and hes not even a vegan! :D

• August 19, 2012 at 7:38 pm: Jeanette

Pancakes are my curse. It’s a running joke to my husband, I’m so bad at making them. Then I became a vegan, told him I was making these, and he had a good chuckle- until I put perfect fluffy pancakes on his plate. Your tips were marvelous, and it’s because of you that I have redeemed myself. I’ve got the last laugh now!

• September 3, 2012 at 4:11 am: IsaChandra

Yay!

• September 4, 2012 at 5:44 pm: Alexia m

Today is my birthday and I made these for my birthday breakfast. I added some cinnamon to the batter. These are the best pancakes ive ever had. Thank you so much!

• September 6, 2012 at 3:45 pm: Spork

Okay, so they’re not coming out anywhere near as fluffy as the ones in the picture. (like… slightly thinner than regular pancakes), and even with the vanilla, have almost no flavor. I assume I’ve done something wrong, but I don’t know what it could be.

• September 9, 2012 at 5:31 pm: Spork

Second try. I definitely did something wrong the first time.
    Not quite as pretty as the picture, but they’re the best pancakes I’ve had and a while, and no egg means no itchy throat!

• September 9, 2012 at 7:54 pm: Hurf DeBurf

Thanks for this recipe, I’ve been making much denser pancakes with a similar list of ingredients, but with less liquid and not vinegar. The tips on temperature and mixing were spot-on. This came out fantastic the first time I tried it.

• September 9, 2012 at 11:34 pm: Amber

We had these this morning; I left out the flax seeds, but otherwise followed to the letter. YUM! These are the ONLY vegan pancakes I’ve made that have come close to behaving like “regular” pancakes. We will make these often!

• September 20, 2012 at 12:20 am: BB

These were honestly the best vegan pancakes I’ve ever had. And I’ve tried a ton of recipes! Nice and fluffy just like you said. And I substituted white whole wheat flour for all purpose flour – and they were still fluffy.

• September 25, 2012 at 12:34 am: bookwormbethie

I dub thee, puffy pillow pancake princess! Man these pancakes rock!!!!! I ♥ them!

• September 28, 2012 at 11:07 am: Jake

These taste amazing, yet they never seem to get as thick with me, and its far too runny to use all that liquid. I used about 1/2 cup milk and 1/4 cup of water. Still it is simply amazing and the batter makes for some incredible french toast! It tastes no different than the pancakes I made as a vegetarian, using eggs and butter and milk. Only I use vegan margarine in the pan to cook them in. It gives it a buttery taste.

• September 30, 2012 at 3:34 am: Rachel

I followed the recipe to the letter with the addition of one other ingredient–blueberries. I didn’t add them to the batter but poked them into each pancake after they had puffed a bit into the uncooked side. They did not deflate at all. Remained puffy and beautiful. Also tried it using frozen blueberries and again, puffy perfection. Best pancakes I’ve ever eaten and no one is more shocked than I that they come from my kitchen. Thanks for such a wonderful recipe!

• October 7, 2012 at 3:17 pm: MRodriguez

Just made these this morning and the fluffiness is fantastic. I tweeked them a little since I wanted something apple-cinnamony this morning. They cook up fantastically fluffy and airy. Thank you!

• October 9, 2012 at 9:39 pm: Jessica Lynn

This is my new go-to pancake recipe. They’re absolutely amazing! Thanks!

• October 11, 2012 at 4:10 pm: Natalie

Do i have to use canola oil and flax seeds?

• October 11, 2012 at 7:16 pm: Judith Paris

have you tried this with gluten free flours? Judith/King’s Cross London UK

• October 13, 2012 at 12:26 pm: Jettesette

I have only recently stumbled upon this website, but wow, I haven’t been disappointed yet. These pancakes are the bomb! Every bit as light and fluffy as promised.

• October 13, 2012 at 4:32 pm: Julie

I just made these for my family this morning. They were SO amazing!!! My family is not Vegan, so I am always trying to make a BETTER version of everything so I can win them over. Thanks for these delicious pancakes. They will be a new staple at our house for sure. :)

• October 13, 2012 at 4:36 pm: Julie

Oops! Forgot to ask my daughter’s question! “How can we make these into fluffy pumpkin pancakes?”

• October 14, 2012 at 10:33 pm: Tara

These are bomb! I followed the recipe exactly, but used a non stick pan instead of a cast iron. They weren’t quite as fluffy as the picture, but they were damn close. I’m so happy to find a good pancake recipe! I think I’ll try the cast iron next time.

• October 21, 2012 at 2:32 pm: Christine

These are seriously the best vegan pancakes. I changed one thing: I used 1/2 cup whole wheat flour in place of 1/2 cup white flour. So delicious…they don’t even need maple syrup!

• October 21, 2012 at 3:51 pm: Molly

Many months ago I posted that I couldn’t get these to work. I tried flat bottomed measuring cups, rounded bottom measuring cups. I have no idea what I did wrong. Today I tried your VWAV/Vegan Brunch recipe for pancakes and they rocked! So even though this recipe didn’t seem to work for me, you are still my pancake queen! Thank you!!!

• October 22, 2012 at 4:25 pm: Dani

I have made these twice so far! My egg-loving, milk chugging boyfriend absolutely loves them. I added a wee bit o nutmeg to mine …not quite as fluffy as the pics but I am getting closer :) Tnx a mill for these!!

• October 26, 2012 at 2:21 pm: Zoe

Made these last night and they were delicious – only made one change which was used mashed banana instead of oil and it worked! Another hint – make sure pan is at correct temperature before you start! First pancakes stuck to the pan and became mush but all others worked like a charm.

• October 29, 2012 at 12:52 am: Courtney L

These were fantastic!

• November 4, 2012 at 4:16 pm: Christine

I’m so mad at myself for effing up this recipe…I either did or did not forget to add the water, but then added it, and, well…pancakes not puffy! Well, try try again!!!

• November 19, 2012 at 7:54 pm: margaret borrelli

tried these today, yes i followed to a “t” they puffed up and had a great taste . the only problem was , when i cut into them they were a little spongey and had a gumminess to them . i have never cooked anything vegan before so i dont know if that was a normal texture. Also each pancake was really heavy, good but heavy. I will make these again.

• November 19, 2012 at 9:48 pm: IsaChandra

Definitely shouldn’t be gummy! Possible overmixed and/or undercooked?

• November 24, 2012 at 6:31 am: Madonna

If you’re in a mad rush to make pancakes and there aren’t any flax seeds around, would chia seeds be okay to use?

• November 26, 2012 at 4:45 am: Sarah

This is the most excellent pancake recipe ever, vegan or not, it is a huge hit with my whole family, especially my 1 yr.old twins! I did try to make a batch this morning with whole wheat pastry flour and oat flour instead of the all purpose and they were a total flop – literally! Apparently those flours are much too heavy for this recipe, so tomorrow I will be back to following the recipe exactly!

Thank you. I have been searching a long time for a pancake recipe that is good, and this is by far the best.

• December 14, 2012 at 7:52 pm: Shelly

Made these last night, and they are fantastic!

• December 22, 2012 at 3:04 pm: Ariel

I just made these and they were amazing! My dog even stole one from my plate.
    Were they 1 inch thick? No, but they were still fluffy and had great texture. This might have been because I added the last half cup of flour after I mixed it but that was my fault for forgetting.
    The timing was also great because I always eat a raw veggie or fruit half an hour before a meal. The 10 minutes of rising was also perfect cleaning time and the cooking time allowed for me to eat the pancakes between batches.
    Love them! Thank you so much for sharing!

• December 26, 2012 at 1:00 pm: Kristen

I make this recipe a LOT for my toddler son. I throw in all sorts of veggie purées since he doesn’t always want to eat his veggies. I am trying to get away from using white flour, though. Has anyone made this with another type of flour? Have you had good results?

• January 1, 2013 at 7:57 pm: JoAnne

Just made these. They were awesome, thank you so much!!!

• January 6, 2013 at 4:47 pm: Mary P

I have been trying to find the most perfect vegan pancake for months, guess I should’ve looked here first! These were soo delicious!! Thank you!!

• January 13, 2013 at 3:48 pm: Arminda

Made these this morning. Very fluffy. Great Recipe!

• January 20, 2013 at 3:24 pm: Amber

These are my new favorite!

• January 20, 2013 at 8:20 pm: Tracy Szalai

We are not vegan or even vegetarian, I am just out of eggs and milk.
    Yummy! The best pancakes I’ve ever made. My kids are loving them. Thanks!

• January 21, 2013 at 2:49 am: IsaChandra

Ha, good to know it works for non-vegans, too!

• January 21, 2013 at 2:25 pm: Beth

So, I’m assuming you shouldn’t use any whole wheat pastry flour in these? I’m kinda obsessive about eating whole grains.

Maybe I will try these using a third WW flour to two thirds all purpose and see what happens.

• January 25, 2013 at 8:30 am: Bluebird

The second best pillow after you get out of bed by the looks of it!!
    I’m guessing the canola oil is because it is flavourless but I have non would olive work ?

• January 27, 2013 at 5:02 pm: Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies

I swapped out the oil for peanut butter and used chocolate almond milk + chocolate chips. Extra tasty!

• January 27, 2013 at 5:44 pm: Dianne

Just made these! I used Bob’s spelt flour and it was… delicious!! It was accompanied by fresh blueberries, mango, strawberry and orange slices and I used agave as my syrup. Btw-I made some of them blueberry pancakes and they were still yummy and fluffy.

• January 28, 2013 at 7:21 pm: Martha

These were absolutely amazing!!!!!!!!!!!! This is definitely my new go-to pancake recipe. So fluffy on the inside and perfectly crispy on the outside. You are goddess for posting these online, thank you!!

• January 29, 2013 at 5:11 pm: Nika

Saw this posted on FB and I have been craving pancakes for the last two weeks. Since I had not had breakfast yet I made them! Soooooo good! Definitely making again soon so I can share with others.

• January 31, 2013 at 3:10 pm: Sarah

Mine are beer really thick. I wonder is my powder is old…

• February 5, 2013 at 3:04 pm: Dyan

Wow! Making some this morning. Can hardly wait to taste them.

• February 6, 2013 at 2:30 am: Melissa

I’m on day 2 of a week long vegan challenge. Made these for dinner about 2 hours ago with very no expectations and WOW. They are fantastic, fast, and simple! I’ll continue making these even after this week! Thanks for a great recipe! :)

• February 7, 2013 at 4:10 pm: Lauren

Thanks for this. I’ve made these 3 times and always taste great, but i never seem to get it fluffy. The taste is good, but a little wet/rubbery inside. I bought new baking power, thinking that was the reason but it did not help. Only other possible difference is maybe the pan? i am using one of those cast iron griddle pans that goes on top of two burners – could this be the only problem? Open to any thoughts. By the way, my family is making its way through your Vegan Brunch book and so far everything is terrific – scones are a regular staple these days. Thanks so much!

• February 9, 2013 at 5:55 pm: Jessica

Made these the other day exactly according to the recipe, except I folded in some blueberries at the end. My friends raved about them! They are indeed fluffy, sort of like an ihop pancake but without the heaviness that makes you feel sick afterwards. This is the best pancake recipe I’ve ever tried. I made these on a cast iron skillet, which browned them really nicely. :D

• February 9, 2013 at 5:58 pm: Jessica

FOR THOSE OF YOU HAVING TROUBLE GETTING THESE FLUFFY: Make sure you are read and actually follow all of the tips in italics at the end of the recipe. I know from years of experimenting with pancake batters that these things really make a difference.

• February 16, 2013 at 11:22 am: Joy

I’m eating these right now, topped with blueberries, banana, walnuts and maple syrup. I missed Pancake Day due to illness last week, these are well worth the wait! (and the 6 mile run this morning to earn them :P)

• February 16, 2013 at 7:02 pm: Gary Loewenthal

Made these today with strawberries and maple syrup on top. Yum! Somewhat addictive, in fact.

• February 18, 2013 at 6:22 pm: Jill

I just ate an entire batch! These pancakes are super fluffy and satisfying!

• February 23, 2013 at 5:08 pm: the hungry pakipina

For those asking about the flax seeds – I used 1/2 tbs chia seeds instead (measured them whole at 1/2 tbs, then ground them). Let the batter sit for closer to 20 minutes. Also used rice milk instead of the almond. It was our first attempt at making them and they were delicious and fluffy.

• February 24, 2013 at 6:41 pm: Audra

I have just finished making two of these pancakes and am stumped…Why does the center not get done? I have had this issue with all of the vegan pancakes recipes I’ve tried. Suggestions??

• February 24, 2013 at 9:06 pm: Wendy

Pre vegan & after, these are the best damn pancakes!!! You are a Goddess, Isa! (And anyone having issues, if you read all of the tips, then I am baffled. Worked perfectly, both times I’ve made them. Super easy, too.)

• February 27, 2013 at 6:51 pm: Flower Fairy

Thank you SO MUCH. I’ve been trying to make fluffy “American style” pancakes (like the ones I see in films) for a year and a half with no success. A year and a half! Then I had the idea to Google a recipe using flax seed and I came across your recipe. These are exactly what I was looking for! Amazing! The first vegan pancakes (or any pancakes, for that matter – I’ve been vegan all my cooking-life) I’ve ever made that were actually fluffy, thick, perfectly and evenly cooked through. My omni boyfriend approves of them as well and I can’t wait to make them when my sister comes to visit (we don’t have pancakes in my native country, so my ideal was 1996′s Matilda’s breakfast scene).Thank you again!

• March 6, 2013 at 11:47 pm: Kris

Thank you for posting this recipe. My family loves them….maybe a little too much. I found your recipe last year and I have been forced to prove my love to my family by making these every Saturday and Sunday. :) I use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All Purpose flour and they don’t come out puffy like yours but it doesn’t matter because my family still begs for them. I mix in different fruits every weekend and use Stevia instead of sugar. There are a hit. Thank you so much.

• March 10, 2013 at 8:53 pm: Kristina

Just made a batch of these with a little bit of grated orange zest! Not too strong of an orange flavor, just more of an ‘orange scent.’ Best pancakes ever!! Beats all vegan and non-vegan :)

• March 10, 2013 at 9:02 pm: Dee

I tried this recipe this morning for my family and it was great! You honestly would not have known that they were dairy free. Love them!!

• March 11, 2013 at 4:27 pm: Jourdaine

Awesome recipe!! I made these pancakes the morning after a house party for my birthday. A friend uncovered some food coloring and we made green and purple pancakes to add a little sense of humor to breakfast. My fiance and I were the only vegans in the group and my hungover buddies loved them. I didn’t make any changes to the ingredients (though I used vanilla almond milk instead of regular) and was able to double the recipe without any issues. I see a new tradition starting with our parties from now on!! Thanks!

• March 17, 2013 at 10:45 am: Scot_kat

Great recipe, I don’t know if you can get ground flaxseed here, but I used oat bran and fine milled oats. Still tasted great and they were still puffy :) thanks for the recipe!

• March 17, 2013 at 12:54 pm: Jess

I just made these and they are FLUFFY!!! soo good too, I used mashed banana insted of flax and vinegar and only 2 tblspns of oil in the mix and they turned out great! I also spread a littly peanut or almond butter on em with my maple syrup. highly recommend it.

• March 18, 2013 at 2:00 pm: Sheryl

Can someone advise please? Have made the recipe three times and the insides are always still gooey though the outside is browned? Do I need to water down (gasp!) the batter? Change the pan? Is it the diff altitude in Montreal? Would appreciate any tips!

• March 18, 2013 at 5:46 pm: IsaChandra

Possibly too hot heat? Too thin a pan?

• March 19, 2013 at 1:40 pm: joseph post

If you double the vanilla and frost them you get CUPCAKE PANCAKES!

• March 20, 2013 at 4:26 pm: IsaChandra

Haha, good to know!

• March 23, 2013 at 6:40 pm: JT

Super tasty and I even forgot the sugar! Big hit with the kids. Soooo puffffy!

• March 24, 2013 at 4:07 am: Ashleigh

Ahhhh…fuck. I just made these with Baking SODA; now they taste funny.

• March 27, 2013 at 6:04 am: Harriet

HeyIsa! I love this recipe! Any tips to making it gluten free please? my girlfreind is vegan AND gluten free! X

• March 27, 2013 at 4:54 pm: Leah

These are DELICIOUS!
    My 11 year old brother is possibly the pickiest eater, and never admitted to liking my homemade non-vegan pancakes. I made these this morning, though, and he loved them! He ate 4 :)

• March 30, 2013 at 5:57 pm: Freya

These are amazing with the addition of frozen blueberries! (They are probably great on their own too, but I couldn’t resist adding blueberries both times I made this recipe).

• April 6, 2013 at 10:23 am: Theresa

THESE WERE THE BEST PANCAKES I’VE EVER MADE!!!!! You have changed my life!! :P :P

• April 7, 2013 at 3:43 pm: Diane

Making these right now (and um… I admit I wanted to be the 300th comment)

• April 7, 2013 at 4:51 pm: Isabelle

Just made these… Wow. Real American-style pancakes!

Question: I was wondering if it will matter if I reduce the salt a bit?

• April 25, 2013 at 11:06 pm: Becca J

BEST pancakes ever!!!

• May 15, 2013 at 2:15 am: VeganVamp

I have always made my pancakes from scratch, thin-style as I could not tolerate the thick, doughy, gut-bombs served in so many restaurants (or from Bisquick in my pregan days)

THESE are my new GO-TO pancake. The foaming action + copious amount of baking powder + letting the batter sit and puff makes them as light as my stand-bys, but with the most amazing, fluffy texture, and reminded me and my 17-year-old somewhat of a doughnut.

INCREDIBLE! Love the comment above, “thank you for being born.” AMEN!

• May 26, 2013 at 1:57 pm: Sonal

Hello
    what flour could i sub the one used in the recipe to make it gluten free?

• May 26, 2013 at 2:32 pm: Jordan

These were so good!!! Best vegan pancakes ivd had

• June 2, 2013 at 5:21 pm: jenny lafleur

fab. and they work very well in the waffle iron.

• June 3, 2013 at 3:44 am: cj

I made these today and served them to my very picky pancake-loving husband. He did not want to try them initially, but did and, after a few moments of silence, said “Okay, these are really, REALLY good. You have to make more!” I agree and I’m generally not a pancake fan. Another amazing recipe. You never cease to amaze me with your voodoo vegan cooking skills! Thank you so much Isa!!!!

• June 6, 2013 at 12:28 am: Susan

Hi Isa Chandra! I love your site! Would you be able to use flax meal in place of grinding the flax seeds? I have a lot from the wheat-free chocolate chip cookies I made (using your recipe! Everyone loved them and no one could tell they were vegan/wheat-free!) and want to make use of what I have.

• June 6, 2013 at 1:07 am: IsaChandra

Yes! Flax meal and ground flax seeds are the same thing, so you’re good to go!

• June 20, 2013 at 11:51 am: MissBear

As if to prove how awesome this recipe is I screwed up twice and it still tasted awesome. I halved the recipe which was fine but I missed a step and ended up only mixing the flax and vinegar (with a tiny bit of soy I rescued from the well). So mistake one. Mistake 2 burning one of them really badly (well, on a scale of burning things I suppose I burned it really well but you get my drift). Still, I peeled the good side from the burned side and ate the 2.5 pancakes I had somehow managed to make and they were delicious (although I’m now very full!). I had them with maple syrup, sliced strawberries and blueberries. Will definitely repeat the recipe and avoid my errors in future!

• June 20, 2013 at 6:28 pm: karrotkapri

I have made these before. WARNING: These are very temperamental! The first cooked batch came out terrific. I made another batch. All the same ingredients, all of the same procedures..FLAT..FLAT I SAY! Still yummy but as the saying goes they were as flat as an pancake=/

Be careful everyone, these pancakes can be a bitch.

• June 22, 2013 at 6:07 pm: Chelsea

These are the best pancakes ever! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

• June 27, 2013 at 1:08 pm: lee

Mine turn out flat and raw in the middle :( Why?!?! :(

• June 30, 2013 at 3:24 pm: Devona

Made these last weekend and making them again today. Added blueberries…. Yum! Super filling and super good!

• June 30, 2013 at 8:36 pm: Emily

There’s no mention of a higher cooking temperature. I read all of the tips and every one of the 300+ comments looking for any mention if a suggested temp after preheating my well-seasons cast iron skillet on med low over gas heat. Trying to follow the recipe to the letter the first time, my first two are still sitting on the skillet unflipped after 20 mins, looking like unbaked scones.

• June 30, 2013 at 9:46 pm: IsaChandra

Well, honey, what are you doing reading 300+ comments? Just turn the heat up!

• July 4, 2013 at 4:05 pm: chknfriedtofu

FYI – this is a great recipe, but your pancakes don’t have to look like that! for classic, light brown, perfectly even colored pancakes, wipe the pan with a paper towel after you spray it or add in oil. that makes the surface perfectly greased and you don’t end up with “rustic” looking tops like isa’s. (sorry – i love you isa!

• July 4, 2013 at 6:44 pm: IsaChandra

No offense taken! But I love how these pancakes look. To each pancake, his own :)

• July 5, 2013 at 6:57 pm: Kayla Almon

I made these today and OH. MY. GOODNESS. sooo incredibly yummy! I’m going to put a link to this on my blog!

• July 28, 2013 at 5:20 pm: Jenny

These pancakes are fantastic and are very puffy! My partner and I these every Sunday morning. Some times I substitute some of the white flour for whole wheat, and some times I use 1/2 apple sauce and half oil. They are great with and without these modifications. However, we always use much less salt (about 1/4 tsp) than is called for (1tsp). We made these once with the 1 tsp of salt called for and they tasted way too salty for us.

• August 7, 2013 at 4:11 pm: Kelly L.

I see 329 people have already commented, but I had to add my opinion – they are AWESOME! So fluffy, like I’ve never been able to make my vegan pancakes before. My VERY omni in-laws were ready to say “yuck” to vegan pancakes, but no, they loved them too! Thanks!!!

BTW, here in San Francisco, we have a comedy show on Xmas called Kung Pao Kosher Comedy with mostly (all?) Jewish comedians. And it’s held, guess where? In a Chinese restaurant.

• August 7, 2013 at 5:57 pm: Jenny

Amazing recipe! Just tried it this morning and my non vegan husband loved them! I was so impressed & will definitely keep this recipe & make them again real soon! Thank you!!

• August 25, 2013 at 7:11 pm: Julia

I made these once before and they became the household faves. I ended up making 3 batches. This time I decided to get ahead of my voracious eaters and double the recipe (I am minus two eaters today) and the pancakes didn’t puff the same as with 1x recipe. Therefore, I don’t recommend this shortcut. Flavor is still awesome!

• September 3, 2013 at 6:14 pm: Melody

I made these for lunch today and they were delicious!! I also made some with lemon zest in them at the suggestion of my 8yr old daughter who loves your page too :) They were amazing as well. Thanks for sharing and for inspiring my little one to love the kitchen

• September 4, 2013 at 2:19 pm: Raquel

This is the best vegan pancake recipe I have tried by a long shot. They’re super fluffy and light with just the right amount of sweetness. I only used a 1/2 tsp of salt and added blueberries and lemon zest and they were pure pancake heaven. Thanks Isa!

• September 7, 2013 at 6:02 pm: Emily

These are delicious! Biscuit like on the outside…warm and fluffy on the inside. As I waited for my batter to rest, I became worried thinking it looked like a frothy mess and I must have done something wrong. Nope! They are aaamazing and look just like the pictures! These will definitely be my go to for brunch! Thanks for the great recipe and tips!

• September 12, 2013 at 1:46 am: Robyn

Isa, these are hands down the absolute best pancakes I have ever made or eaten! I use the recipe exactly as stated which is a rarity for me but I am so glad I did.

So many compliments on them from non veg heads too :)

• September 12, 2013 at 4:15 am: IsaChandra

Yay, thanks!

• September 14, 2013 at 3:36 pm: Lori

This has become my go-to recipe for when I am the only one home for dinner. This recipe turns out perfectly every time as long as I am patient and let the cast iron do all the work.

Also, after making this recipe several times I have come to embrace my cast iron pan and I now understand how it holds heat and reacts.

• September 14, 2013 at 4:43 pm: IsaChandra

Well, that warms my heart. If you learned all that, then my work is done here!

• September 22, 2013 at 8:40 am: TheCrabbyCrafter

So glad Kelly @ http://vegankid.blogspot.com posted a link to these.

• September 22, 2013 at 12:37 pm: Ellen

These were so delicious! I didn’t think I was going to have the patience to let the batter rest, but I’m so glad I did! Thank you :)

• September 23, 2013 at 11:51 pm: EternityMatters

these pancakes are the best ones i have ever made! i added raspberries to mine, and my husband had chocolate chips in his…I altered the recipe by using Red Mills Buckwheat Pancake mix instead of the all purpose flour – these are SOOO good!!! Thank you for research that made these possible!!!

• October 6, 2013 at 1:14 pm: Barbara

Simply Amazing!!

• October 13, 2013 at 11:00 am: Siubhan

These were so lovely and light! I added a few frozen berries (it was all I had – home with flu and desperate for something tasty) and I don’t think it deflated the fluffiness. Thanks for yet another great recipe. x

• October 13, 2013 at 1:43 pm: Statch

First time I made these they tasted great, but didn’t rise and were gooey in middle. I use an electric griddle, so 2d time I raised the temp from 350 to 400. I use soymilk powder + water for the soy milk, so this time I also warmed the water a little (20 sec in microwave) before adding vinegar/flax seed, since I keep the flax seed in the freezer. I only used 1/4 cup water 2d time. I’m not sure which change worked but they were much fluffier the 2d time and more done in the middle.

• October 17, 2013 at 11:03 pm: รับทำวิทยานิพนธ์

Very good article. I will be going through a few of
    these issues as well..

• October 30, 2013 at 7:25 pm: Rachael

I made these a couple weeks ago, and actually right now as I’m typing this.. absolutely the best pancakes I’ve ever had! Even my non-vegan boyfriend loved them. I used coconut oil instead of canola, just a personal preference. Seriously the fluffiest pancakes I’ve ever had, and a delicious flavor. To top it off, its healthy! : ) Thanks for the recipe!

• November 1, 2013 at 5:40 pm: Simone

I just tried these this morning, and let me just say, THEY WERE DELICIOUS! They are fluffy and tasty, not too sweet, but perfect with syrup or fruit. This is a genius recipe, and I just say, Isa, that you make it easy to be a vegan. My dad, who was skeptical, even tried them and loved them. Score one for the Puffy Pillow pancakes!! : ]

• November 3, 2013 at 1:31 pm: Chr

These are perfect every time – I’ve made these enough times to say that with complete authority.

• November 9, 2013 at 3:08 pm: Carol

I just made these pancakes for our Saturday morning breakfast, and we both thought they were very good. I am new to Vegan cooking, and so far, I am keeping this recipe. Great taste and excellent texture. I think it was the ground flax that adds to the overall flavor. Thank you!

• November 12, 2013 at 9:17 pm: Megan

Can I make this batter ahead of time as long as I use it within a couple of days?

• November 22, 2013 at 7:44 pm: Susanti

These are amazing- my new favorites! No one would ever guess these are vegan. My new favs. Thank you!

• December 18, 2013 at 8:38 pm: Gwen

Turned out great! I added matcha to the last pancake till it was the same color as the green tea cupcake batter from vegan cupcakes take over the world… Def. will do that again! Also tried a pumpkin version with 2/3 cup pumpkin and 2 tsp pumpkin pie spices and only 1/4 cup of the water…. Needed a much longer cooking time on a slight bit lower heat, but turned out nice…. May have to keep tweaking that version so if you have any ratios that work better please share!

• December 27, 2013 at 9:03 pm: Shan

These pancakes are loved by everyone I’ve ever fed them to: folks who don’t like pancakes; people who are suspicious of all vegan food on principle; friends who like both pancakes and vegan fare but have never found a vegan pancakce they enjoy. Everyone. They are beautiful and easy and I adore them. Thank you!

• January 3, 2014 at 8:36 am: shira

made and they look perfect, but they have a bitter aftertaste….

• January 4, 2014 at 7:27 pm: Sarah

Isa these are literally the best pancakes I’ve ever had!! Love your book! Blogging about the pancakes now to spread the word!

• January 20, 2014 at 3:42 pm: Sarah

This is now officially my go-to pancake recipe and it never disappoints! I fly solo so I cut it in half and always have one leftover to break up the usual oatmeal-or-yogurt w/ granola workday breakfast rotation. The fluffiness isn’t compromised by changing up the flour used, either– a mix of barley and spelt works wonderfully! Thank you for the recipe (and for all the others in Isa Does It, which is making another dreary New England winter so much more bearable!).

• January 21, 2014 at 12:46 am: flat cakes!

hi, these were tasty but mine didn’t puff like yours.
    mine looked like regular pancakes.
    what did i do wrong?

• January 29, 2014 at 4:54 pm: Ashley

I just made these, well, actually I am still making them right now. They are SO delicious and fluffly but full of body–I had to stop what I was doing to say so!
    I got the recipe from Isa Does It! but figured it might be on here, too….
    Love all the pictures in the new book.

• February 3, 2014 at 3:08 pm: Rebecca

Excellent pancakes! Their will be my new go-to recipe!

• March 4, 2014 at 11:55 pm: Patricia

These are my go-to pancakes when my son and I are having a craving. Thank you!

• March 7, 2014 at 3:12 pm: Sita Kumar

Is it warm water or cold water?

• March 7, 2014 at 4:03 pm: Diana

Hi, although I did the right measurements and let the batter sit for 10 minutes, mine didn’t come out puffy….any reason why?

• March 8, 2014 at 8:36 pm: Stephanie

Before I made these pancakes, I was reading all these comments and I wondered, “How in the world can pancakes be so good?” After making these I finally understand. I was never really a pancake person until I came across this recipe. I love them, and my non-vegan friends love them, too! Even my mom, who used to smother her pancakes with syrup and butter, enjoyed these completely plain and was raving about how good they were! These pancakes are amazing. You are amazing.

• March 9, 2014 at 11:57 am: Lara

These were mega thick and delicious…a perfect hangover cure. Next time I make them I think I’ll add cinnamon.

• March 18, 2014 at 6:36 am: zoe

thnks your informations

• March 22, 2014 at 2:48 pm: Meg

Made these for breakfast this morning! I added a little more milk because the batter was soooo thick it was hard to scoop. But otherwise followed the directions exactly. Turned out absolutely amazing! Better than any pancakes I’ve ever had, and so easy!!! This will forever be my go-to pancake recipe.

• March 23, 2014 at 10:51 pm: Samantha

These are the best pancakes I’ve ever had!! Very “pillowy” and nice flavour. Mine didn’t rise as high as the ones in the photo, but they were still way fluffier than any other pancakes I’ve made before. Thanks so much! Every recipe I’ve tried from this site has been fantastic :)

• March 30, 2014 at 1:10 pm: Johnny

Thank you, Chandra for this great recipe. We enjoy making and eating these. it’s a perfect Sunday morning (soon to be a) tradition at our house.

• April 19, 2014 at 12:57 pm: Dominique

These are amazing! I was skeptical, but sold now and my family keeps requesting these. I am replacing my boxed pancake mix with these from now on. Thank you for your recipe. I look forward to making more things from your site :)

• April 20, 2014 at 3:25 pm: Aissa

These were perfect. Light and fluffy. I added cinnamon powder and wild blueberries and cooked them with coconut oil. Best pancakes yet…

• May 4, 2014 at 4:23 pm: Andrea

Hi there. Looking to make these gluten free. Any success with a particular flour?

• May 19, 2014 at 2:31 pm: Faith

I just made these and they are AMAZING!!! I subbed whole wheat pastry flour and refined coconut oil, but otherwise followed the recipe to a T (or tee?). I got 7 pancakes which was a pleasant surprise to get a bonus. They came out delicious and even looked as pretty as your pictures. I had one with a pat of earth balance and some maple syrup, and my second with a shmear of peanut butter and some microwaved frozen raspberries. My kids love them too.

• June 1, 2014 at 11:11 pm: Carolyn

These are amazing!

• June 10, 2014 at 10:31 pm: Enola

Hi, this is my first time commenting. I made these this morning for a friend trying to reduce their gluten intake so made some alterations ( my first time gluten free subbing) read alsorts of things not working gluten free or with certain flours but decided to take notes from your gluten free pancake recipe as well as sites like ohsheglows for inspiration then took the plunge. First off I halved the recipe as was for 1 person, I used 1/4 cup buckwheat flour 1/4 cup rice flour and the final 1/4 I first put in 1tbsp arrowroot then topped up with more buckwheat, I used 1 tbsp chia seed which i ground in coffee grinder instead of flax and added around 1/2 – 1 tsp cinnamon. I poured just under 1/4 cups of batter in pan which made 6 pancakes and they did puff up, maybe not as much as in picture but looked pretty good + wafted cinnamon. I took piled on plate with a spread of crunchy peanut butter+ sliced banana in between each 1 drizzled maple syrup over the top and topped with a sprinkle of homemade coconut bacon. result = 1 very happy friend. with big eyes on the plate followed by noises of oooooo and mmmmmm. thankyou for your awsome recipes!

• June 10, 2014 at 10:33 pm: Enola

* I piled 3 on a plate

• July 1, 2014 at 11:37 pm: Jessica

I’ve never posted anything before. These are the best pancakes (vegan or non vegan).
    If you read and follow the recipe they will be perfectly fluffy and delicious!
    Make sure not to over-mix and make sure to let the batter rest 10 min. It’s the most simple recipe and is now part of our Saturday morning family ritual.
    I sub apple sauce for the oil for less fat since we eat them once a week…
    This whole cookbook is wonderful but the pancakes are outstanding!

• July 13, 2014 at 5:59 pm: Foram

I’ve never posted here before, but Isa you’re a genius! I’ve made this recipe 4 weekends in a row and I don’t even really like pancakes that much! These are perfect. I keep trying some of the other fancier recipes you have, but this one really takes the (pan)cake for me! Thanks for sharing! =)

• July 22, 2014 at 2:32 am: Winston

Amazing pancakes! I didn’t have ground flax (linseed) on hand, so I used LSA instead which has Flax but also, ground sunflower seed and Almond meal.

I also made a raspberry coulis type thing by stirring together frozen raspeberries, juice of half a lemon and added powdered stevia for sweetness.

Delicious!