April 19, 2012

Jerk Sloppy Joes With Coconut Creamed Spinach

Serves 4 to 6
Time: 45 minutes

Jerk Sloppy Joes

Oi vey has life been hectic over the past few weeks! I’ve been traveling a ton, as well as working on a new solo cookbook and wrapping up the desserts for the Forks Over Knives cookbook. On top of that, I’m working on a few other projects that I’ll talk about soon. Point being, I’ve been a little remiss in my blogging duties, but this is a good one and just might make up for my month of silence.

My recent travels took me to NYC and Austin, Texas where I was spoiled to death by all of the amazing vegan food. From migas to tamales to dumplings to curries, my palate was blessedly overstimulated and I arrived back home in Omaha with some major cravings for big flavors. This was the first meal I cooked as soon as I settled in. It combines my love for sauteed callaloo and West Indian jerk sauces (which I miss more than anything!) with my love for sloppy, saucy midwestern sandwiches. Callaloo comes from the leaves of the taro plant, which is virtually impossible to find in the midwest, but spinach makes a great stand in. This Sloppy Joe, made with seitan, is stick-to-your-ribs spicy and tangy, and the spinach is cooling and creamy with coconut and the ethereal sweet licorice flavor of star anise, which is a component in lots of Jamaican curry powders.

To time everything right, start the spinach when you add the tomatoes to the seitan. Of course, you can just enjoy the Sloppy Joes on their own sans spinach (but don’t you love your veggies?) or enjoy the spinach alongside any other jerk sorta’ recipe. And if you don’t feel like having sandwiches, this would be pretty awesome over rice, too.

Oh and I was considering calling these Sloppy Jerks or Jerky Joes, so in the privacy of your own home, feel free to call them whatever you like!

For the Sloppy Joe:
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon coconut oil, divided
1 medium onion, diced medium
1 pound seitan, chopped into bite sized pieces
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
1 tablespoon sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
Several dashes fresh black pepper
14 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons yellow mustard

For the spinach:
2 teaspoons coconut oil
2 cloves minced garlic
1 lb spinach, washed well, stems removed
1 cup coconut milk (regular or light)
2 star anise

To serve:
4 to 6 big sandwich buns

Prepare the Sloppy Joe:
Preheat a large, heavy bottomed pan over medium-high heat. Saute onion in one tablespoon coconut oil and a pinch of salt, until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.

Add the seitan and cook for about 10 minutes, until nicely browned, stirring often. Push the seitan and onions to one side of the pan so that you have space to quickly saute the garlic and ginger. Put the remaining teaspoon of coconut oil in the pan and toss in the garlic and ginger, stirring as it sizzles, for about 15 seconds. Then mix it up with the seitan and onions.

Add thyme, paprika, salt, allspice, red pepper flakes, cinnamon and black pepper and toss to coat everything and cook the spices a bit.

Add the tomatoes, and cook for about 10 more minutes, tossing often. Lastly, mix in the maple syrup, lime juice and mustard. Let cook for a minute or so, then taste for salt and seasonings, and serve.

Prepare the spinach:
Preheat a large, heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. Quickly saute the garlic in coconut oil, just so it sizzles for a few seconds, being careful that it doesn’t burn. Add the spinach in batches, tossing with tongs, until it is all wilted and fits in the pan. Cook for about 3 minutes, until a lot of moisture is released.

Now we’re going to get rid of the excess moisture, but try not to lose any garlic or spinach in the process. Shove the spinach off to one side, and carefully (don’t burn yourself, dummy!) lift the pan and drain the excess water into the sink. The spinach might all just behave itself and stay on one side of the pot, but use the tongs to keep it from falling into the sink just in case.

Now return to the heat, add the coconut milk, star anise and salt. Bring coconut milk to a boil and stir often, for about 5 minutes, so that the star anise releases its flavor. Turn the heat off and let it rest for 10 minutes or so, soaking up the coconut milk yumminess.

• April 19, 2012 at 9:43 pm: kmiriam

what gluten free food might be subbed for seitan? thanks!

• April 19, 2012 at 10:18 pm: IsaChandra

I think I answered you on FB (saying lentils or tofu) but I like the jackfruit idea as well!

• April 19, 2012 at 9:54 pm: TacoBe11a

Young jackfruit would probably work.

• April 19, 2012 at 9:55 pm: db

kmiriam: jackfruit, maybe…? can’t wait to try this!!!

• April 19, 2012 at 9:56 pm: Erin

I’ll bet green jackfruit would work great in this recipe instead of seitan.

• April 19, 2012 at 10:03 pm: sfrances

tvp? @kmiriam

• April 19, 2012 at 10:05 pm: gretchen

Sloppy Jerks, love it! I’m in Hawaii where Taro leaves are abundant, but I’ve never heard of Callaloo. Is that just a different name for Taro leaves?

• April 19, 2012 at 10:10 pm: Lazysmurf

I thought callaloo was made out of Amaranth leaves, I really want to try growing it. Or move to the Carribean! It warms my heart that you had fun here!!!

• April 19, 2012 at 10:16 pm: IsaChandra

Yeah, looks like it can be either taro or amaranth. I believe I’ve only had taro.

• April 19, 2012 at 10:15 pm: AG

looks great! btw, where’s the note for the seitan? i couldn’t tell if there was an extra thing we needed to take into consideration…

• April 19, 2012 at 10:16 pm: IsaChandra

That was an accident, I deleted it. Thanks!

• April 19, 2012 at 10:22 pm: Jess

Yum! What would be a good side for this?

• April 19, 2012 at 10:32 pm: Marty Rynearson

This looks great. I love Seitan but Jackfruit is a great replacement. its a pity Sue Purr’s Counter Culture hadn’t reopened by the time of VegFest. She makes an awesome Jackfruit BBQ. You’ll have to come back to Austin Isa!

• April 19, 2012 at 11:48 pm: IsaChandra

I agree! I got to take kissy-face photos with Sue, at least. And she prepped some carrots.

• April 20, 2012 at 12:18 am: Lauren

Coconut creamed spinach?? Uhh okay you’ve got me :) That sounds delish!

• April 20, 2012 at 1:17 am: Sarah

Oh gosh – just found this site. What amazing comfort food!

I’ll have to tell more of my clients who are transitioning to a plant-based diet about this site…Yum.

• April 20, 2012 at 4:32 am: kittee

I like to use Soy Curls instead of seitan for the gluten-free. Looks yummy Isa! PDX now has our own delicious xgfx hamburger buns, made in town!

xo
    kittee

• April 20, 2012 at 4:59 am: nikki

YUM! This looks great! I agree with kittee, chopped up soy curls will be awesome for a gf version :)

• April 20, 2012 at 6:22 am: Love

Is this real life? Sounds too good to be true!

• April 20, 2012 at 7:11 am: Liz

I’ll bet cooked brown/green lentils would sub for the seitan great too.

• April 20, 2012 at 8:06 pm: Joy

Callaloo is my favorite! My Trinidadian friend turned me on to it, and here in Brooklyn it is found easily in Crown Heights. I can’t wait to try this recipe. You’ve done it again, Isa!

• April 20, 2012 at 8:16 pm: kmiriam

thank you! I’m in Brooklyn too.

• April 20, 2012 at 8:33 pm: kmiriam

also, Joy, do you know where I can get the callaloo? if you’re in Brooklyn, do you know where I can get jackfruit? I hear it’s at a store–Patel Brothers- but that’s in Queens; i’d rather go closer.
    thanks so much!

• April 20, 2012 at 9:44 pm: Robyn Mary

Well, what do you know…I just made a batch of the seitan loaves from ‘Viva Vegan.’ And dang, those Joes look good.

• April 21, 2012 at 1:03 am: Ayngelina

Good lord that looks amazing!

• April 21, 2012 at 2:43 am: Kamryn Leigh

Are all the recipes in the Forks Over Knives book going to be yours? That would be cool :)

• April 21, 2012 at 4:11 am: Iggy

If you like taro leaves, you should look up this spicy Filipino dish called “Laing” which is pretty much taro leaves in coconut milk. It’s vegan once you leave out either the shrimp paste or fish flakes.

• April 21, 2012 at 4:39 am: kaenhu

You were recently in Austin, TX? Why didn’t you tell me??? Anyway, thanks for this recipe, can’t wait to try it. And yes, vegan eating is awesome here!

• April 21, 2012 at 6:27 pm: Hayden

This recipe looks awesome! For anyone in the San Fran area looking to try some awesome vegan food the vegan pop-up restaurant Wildflower is coming for Cinco de Mayo weekend. Check it out! http://ieatgrass.com/2012/04/wildflower-comes-to-san-francisco-for-cinco-de-mayo/

• April 22, 2012 at 1:48 pm: Sam (the Quantum Vegan)

Given my continuing obsession with all things jerk spiced, I am going to HAVE to make these as soon as I have some fresh seitan. <3

• April 22, 2012 at 3:32 pm: Amanda

This turned out fantastic! Thank you.

• April 23, 2012 at 2:50 pm: JANEPLUS

Made last night – amazing flavors!
    Loved it!

• April 23, 2012 at 3:03 pm: rachey

I was short on seitan so I used some rehydrated TVP as well; it turned out great! Also subbed collard greens for the spinach and served over brown rice. It was epic, and I’m going to put the leftovers in steamed buns :) thanks for the winnerdinner, Isa!

• April 23, 2012 at 4:06 pm: KZCakes

Made these, they were L33t!

• April 23, 2012 at 8:02 pm: Gina

Have been wanting to make seitan for a long time, and putting it off. Making it now. Thanks for the recipe that tipped the balance.

PS: After 7 years in Cambodia, jackfruit is not an option for me!

• April 23, 2012 at 8:22 pm: Reia

I never would have thought to put spinach on sloppy joes…it sounds like it would be amazing though!

• April 23, 2012 at 9:59 pm: Shauna

You’re great! Thanks. I love the recipes you create.

• April 24, 2012 at 6:38 am: Kirsten

Another suggestion for a gluten free option would be soy curls… make them in to smaller pieces before rehydrating.

• April 24, 2012 at 4:29 pm: Christine

Can’t wait to try these, Isa! Has anyone figured out the nutrition info?

• April 24, 2012 at 4:58 pm: Jessie

Made this with TVP, 1.5 cups reconstituted–I had to add some tomato paste (1 Tblsp?) to boost the flavor a bit. Tasted great in combination with the spinach, and the flavors melded well for leftovers the day after.

• April 24, 2012 at 11:28 pm: Callie

Ah, vegan travels are the best-so much discovery! Are your travels by chance taking you to San Francisco?! If so, or if any readers will be in the area around Cinco De Mayo, TAKE NOTE! An awesome vegan food event is coming up. Chef Ayinde Howell’s fantastic vegan pop-up, Wildflower, will be making its way to San Francisco to celebrate Cinco de Mayo! Anybody in the area must check it out. You can learn more info at http://ieatgrass.com/wildflower-pop-up/ .

• April 25, 2012 at 12:57 am: Cathy Savage

How did I not know about this blog? I have lots of reading to do to catch up!

Love the new Appetite for Reduction book I picked up while you were in Austin. (I’m the Cathy/Kthe person that accosted you on your way back to your booth.)

• April 26, 2012 at 7:24 pm: Chools

Many thanks for the recipe, my first Sloppy Joe’s in any shape or form. Tasty and I even made my own rolls, and liked the soggy bread. Will make again

• April 30, 2012 at 4:34 pm: Mark

I’m making these tonight! Thank you!

• April 30, 2012 at 7:19 pm: Linda

What’s the name of the solo cookbook? I already preordered FOK. I want to order your next one.

• May 1, 2012 at 5:20 pm: Tricia

This may be the best vegan meal I have made in 4 months of being vegan. I didn’t put the stuff on bread…instead we piled it on white rice and dug in. Delicious! I also substituted fennel seed for the star anise. My daughter declared it the best spinach ever-which is saying a lot since she doesn’t like spinach! I followed everything else to a tee and it was amazing!!! THANK YOU! I can’t wait to try your other recipes!

• May 2, 2012 at 12:20 am: blueseaglass

Just made these with crumbled tempeh, and a splash of hot sauce, and they’re fantastic! I’d also love to know what the nutritional info is. Keep up the awesomeness!!!

• May 2, 2012 at 9:25 pm: Stacey

Quick question for clarification–is the coconut milk listed supposed to be the canned or the carton version? Big difference!

• May 4, 2012 at 6:02 am: kaenhu

These were awesome! I made it half lentils and half seitan and it was really great. I love the Snobby Joes from V’con so these are a great variation. The spinach/coconut milk was a great touch too. Definitely a keeper.

• May 7, 2012 at 3:32 am: Benji

Made a variation of these last night – used a mix of tofu, mashed cannellini beans and lentils, since I can’t get seitan around here. Ended up with a really good texture, and man were they tasty. Thanks for yet another delicious recipe!

• May 9, 2012 at 1:46 am: Twinkier

This was CRAZY delicious!! I am so in love right now with this dish. My kids asked for seconds and they are picky! this will be a staple for sure in our rotation.

• May 9, 2012 at 3:54 am: Maria

Wow, what a great idea! I was just breaking my brain over what to do with all the seitan I have. Thank you!
    I have started a new blog. Please check it out and let me know what you think :)
    wayfaringteacher.com

• May 10, 2012 at 12:24 am: Bijinda

My fiancé and I made this last night for dinner – it was AMAZEBALLS. We served it with homemade cajun seasoned baked french fries. We used the steamed white seitan from Viva Vegan. I didn’t have any star anise for the spinach (Whole Foods was out – shenanigans!), so I substituted a teaspoon of freshly ground fennel seed. I ate the leftovers on top of mac ‘n cheeze for lunch today. This is definitely going to be put in our dinner rotation now!

• May 11, 2012 at 2:38 pm: Stephanie

This was heartbreakingly delicious and it’s even better the next day, when the flavors have had more time to marry. I’ll be making the creamed spinach by itself as a side dish for other meals in the future. Thanks for another delicious vegan wonder!

• May 11, 2012 at 6:53 pm: IsaChandra

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it!

• May 15, 2012 at 12:03 am: Biz

I think this sound amazing, but I HATE star anise (anything licorice-y makes me yak). Besides fennel, do you have any suggestions for a substitute?

• May 15, 2012 at 7:43 pm: Ash

Would kale be an ok substitute for the spinach? Or would that throw off the flavors?

• May 16, 2012 at 7:28 am: Margaret

I just have to try these for my family!!
    I also wanted to lick the screen as I’m on day 22 of my 30-40 juice cleanse. Always looking for inspiration for meals to fix my family. Thank you!!

• May 29, 2012 at 11:36 pm: Janet

This was an awesome dinner and lunch. I served it with your corn Johnny cakes and my husband couldn’t stop talking about this meal! The best part was he thought I slaved for hours in the kitchen. Not hours, but it did take a while to assemble.

• June 4, 2012 at 3:24 am: Ash

My boyfriend and I had these for dinner and I thought they were amazing! Definitely a new addition to our favorites. I did use kale instead of spinach- aside from the extra crunch, I don’t think that the substitution detracted from the dish.

• June 4, 2012 at 12:57 pm: vegancouchpotato

wow! nuff said :)

• June 11, 2012 at 1:14 am: KZCakes

I made these for dinner tonight, and they were super easy to make. I’m doing the June Salad Challenge issued by Oh She Glows, so this was a perfect way to eat a salad with dinner too! The boyfriend loves everything resembling pizza, so he obviously loved it. Home run. More please. ;)

• June 14, 2012 at 3:58 pm: Kristin

It appears I’m on a PPK roll – flatbreads two nights ago, and these last night (mac and shews tonight!). REALLY good stuff here. Unfortunately I didn’t have any allspice so I put in a teeny extra cinnamon and a teenier bit of nutmeg; also I couldn’t find star anise around me but I threw in a few anise seeds; and I used lite coconut milk and it was still rich and delish. It was all amazing – sweet, tangy, and spicy, but not too much of any one of those things. Thanks for another killer recipe!

• June 26, 2012 at 1:37 am: MERYL STEINBERG

Going to try this with crumbled tempeh.

• June 26, 2012 at 11:08 pm: Shmichael

I did a slight variation of this, using a little more coconut milk than recommended, fake meat instead of seitan, and no coconut oil. I must say, it was ONE OF THE BEST THINGS I HAVE EVER EATEN. No hyperbole. Caps so very, very necessary. Thank you for this recipe.

• July 5, 2012 at 2:35 am: Karen

This was such a good 4th of July dish. Thank you!

• July 5, 2012 at 5:21 pm: Mary

This looks really good. Is the seitan you use gluten free? Thanks!

• July 6, 2012 at 6:32 pm: Laura

This looks delicious! Do you think it is a good idea to prepare those Sloppy Joes for a picnic? I’d put them together once we arrived to the beach to be sure it’s not all mushy, but it means the dish would be served almost cold… Any thoughts?

• July 12, 2012 at 8:00 am: Bluebirdwhobird

These look amazing Isa!
    I’ve made seitan a few times bafore using the recipe from your website.. so easy and tasty :p
    but i brought nutritional yeast POWDER instead of flakes this time.. can I still use it?
    I’m guessing i’d need to use less as its denser, how much do you think i should use?
    Sorry to ask so many questions.. just itching to try these !
    Thanks,
    Leanne from UK :)

• July 20, 2012 at 11:35 am: Studboyx

Omg. Two-month vegan here. Ate this in whole-wheat pita bread pockets Holy shiznit. One of the top five things I’ve eaten as a vegan thus far. :-) :-) :-)! Can’t thank you enough. Will be in my regular rotation.

• July 23, 2012 at 6:53 pm: Sue Engler

Great recipe. I made the Seitan yesterday from your Veganomicon book and put the Sloppy Joes together today. I will be eating it tonight at work over rice and my vegan co-worker and I will be singing your praises!!! Will be making the spinach soon, but substituting fresh kale from the garden (hope that works too) Love your ideas!!

• July 27, 2012 at 6:13 am: Cindy

Really want to try these this weekend but don’t want to use the oil. What else might work to give similar flavor?

• August 16, 2012 at 11:26 pm: VeganYum

Seems yummy! I’ll be trying this out!

• August 28, 2012 at 8:38 pm: Kim

Wow, I made this a couple months ago. Ive been using recipes from here nonstop for the past year….while tweaking the recipes and adding some things of my own. Im not fully vegan yet, but i do cook nothing but vegan. THESE SLOPPY JOES ARE SO INCREDIBLE.! I love making the spinach on it its own as well. Thank you!!!!!!!! <3

• August 31, 2012 at 3:06 pm: arcticnewfie

I made this last night for my vegan boyfriend and it was amazing. I couldn’t find seitan, so i subbed medium firm tofu, cut into small cubes and it was perfect. It takes longer to brown the tofu. I also made a few other subs ; no maple syrup so I used a dash of honey, no red pepper flakes so I used chili powder for some kick.
    The coconut cream spinach is devine. Thanks so much for this recipe!

• September 2, 2012 at 2:18 am: ssjohns

I just made this with frozen (and defrosted) firm tofu – for a wheat-free version with a nice chewy texture. It is amazing.

• September 6, 2012 at 1:11 pm: Venera from Veggykitchen.com

Oh God! This burger is mouthwatering! i will cook it this weekend. Thanks for the recipe!

• September 12, 2012 at 6:43 pm: Carey

This was such a delightful surprise! I was amazed at just how delicious this dish was. I must admit that I am (was) somewhat skeptical of seitan. I approached this dish with the complete expectation of it tasting like a meat substitute, but was so pleased at just how good it tasted. Isa, your recipes are great. My transformation to vegan has not been as difficult as I had originally anticipated.

• September 17, 2012 at 2:44 pm: Stacy

My husband made this for me as a surprise for dinner. It was the best sloppy joe ever!!

• October 7, 2012 at 12:57 am: Talia

Deeeeeeelicios!! We just made these and yum yum yummmm!! So flavorful! We didn’t’ have seitan, so we subbed TVP, agave for maple syrup, and a dash of allspice and cloves for star anise. Amazing!

• October 10, 2012 at 7:49 pm: Melissa

Yep like everyone says these were really great!! I used jackfruit instead of seitan and highly recommend it turned out super flavorful and filling.

• October 22, 2012 at 1:04 pm: Robin F.

I made these a couple days ago and they were an instant hit! The meal was not too spicy for my young daughter to eat- in fact she scarfed it down!!! My only thing was that the coconut milk never cooked down to being “creamy” so I still had to drain it before I placed the spinach on my sandwich but it was still pretty good :) I am not usually a fan of seitan but have since changed my mind since using Upton’s Naturals brand. It cost more than the usual brands but the texture can’t be beat and it worked well with this sandwich.

I will probably use Jackfruit next time and see how that goes. Overall, the flavors complimented each other perfectly and I will probably make this again really soon!

• November 8, 2012 at 5:44 am: Kira

I made this recipe for lunch today and it was AMAZING. My boyfriend said it was the best meal I had ever cooked for him!

• November 19, 2012 at 3:39 am: Kacy

This was an amazing dish! My whole family devoured it! The seitan was so so tender and flavorful.

• December 5, 2012 at 2:48 am: Kayla

I used tempeh because my grocery store does not carry seitan… soooo delicious. I think the spinach is some of the best spinach I have ever made, and is definitely going into regular rotation. What a fantastic treat!

• December 21, 2012 at 2:55 pm: Teagan Blue

Do you think I could substitute mushroom for the seitan?

• January 27, 2013 at 8:56 am: http://edbi.org

Exactly what requirements do I must satisfy to generally be permitted to a particular online money advance.
    Cash loan until payday may be a great selection for
    emergency situations that could happen when you’re between paychecks or in short supply of cash available.

• March 11, 2013 at 12:19 am: AmyA

Made this the other night! One of my favorite sandwiches ev-A!

• March 12, 2013 at 12:15 am: Jasemc

Just made this for dinner. Wow!! Thank you so much for this recipe, it is delicious and so easy to make. I used ground seitan which turned out great. I will definitely be making this again. Will be great as a summer dish with some good mojitos!!

• April 25, 2013 at 6:31 pm: Meghan

Holy yum. Made this with half lentils (2 cooked cups) and half seitan (only 8 oz). So good!! The flavor is unreal, I love it.

• May 3, 2013 at 4:00 am: Mojo Jojo

My god…Isa, I just made this and it has made my day, my week, possibly my year. I’m not sure yet. If something better happens this year, then maybe I’ll change my mind then. But holy guacamole, it was good. It tasted like it was bad for you.

I do need to say that I subbed lentils, rather than seitan, only because I didn’t have any. I don’t think I could even try seitan since the lentils were so good.

This was the kind of dish that when I was scooping the leftovers into a container for work tomorrow, I was shoveling it into my mouth still.

• May 5, 2013 at 11:36 pm: Jill

This was fantastic. I used chicken-seitan because a 1lb pkg cost almost half 2 unflavored 8 oz seitans. Also used smoked paprika and peanut oil because that’s what I had. Delish.

• May 31, 2013 at 12:43 am: Ben

Just made this for the first time–AWESOME. Thanks for another great recipe!

• June 25, 2013 at 10:28 pm: Liz W

My husband and I honeymooned in Jamaica and this dish took us back! Now if only we could really be on the beach with a cocktail in each hand and our toes in the sand….This meal will definitely be a make again, and again! Thank you!

• September 4, 2013 at 1:26 am: Strelitzia

Delicious! Used portobello mushrooms instead of seitan. This worked amazingly well. Also sautéed two Serrano peppers with the onion. This upped the heat of the dish. Thank you for a lovely dish that uses lots of spices. Just what I was looking for.

• October 16, 2013 at 8:46 am: aoioerkmja's New Blog - sac longchamp solde magasin

Sac à bandoulière qui laisse les mains libres est devenu le modèle le plus désiré en 2011. Il est maniable, utilisable, et aussi léger, Longchamp il pourrait être à la fois ludique ainsi que stylé. Diverses versions let flow tous les go?ts, en plus de fonctionnalités font de ce sac un must-have let flow toutes les filles.

• January 28, 2014 at 11:32 pm: GillGold

This recipe killed it at my house where my boyfriend says he “hates” lentils. The next day the whole pot was gone. Thank you girl

• May 7, 2014 at 6:31 am: laws

Its nott my fiorst time to go to see this web site, i am browsing this
    web page dailly and take nice facts from hesre all the time.

• May 19, 2014 at 3:22 am: ash

We used lentils in place of seitan, then…in a delicious twist, ate it over mashed potatoes. Holy crap was it delicious!!