November 15, 2012

Voluptuous Pumpkin Pie

Makes one 9 inch pie

This recipe first captured my heart in 2001. I had discovered Myra Kornfeld’s wonderful Voluptuous Vegan and was so happy to have a guide that used so many from-scratch vegan ingredients. This pie was actually my first ever attempt at a homemade vegan pumpkin pie and I haven’t strayed from it since. Why mess with perfection? It’s rich and creamy, and has got the perfect amount of autumn spices. Myra includes a nut topping in her original recipe, but I like mine unadulterated. Well, ok, maybe a little Rad Whip or other creamy topping, but that’s about it. The recipe is slightly modified from Voluptuous Vegan and appears in our pie book, Vegan Pie In The Sky.

~ Agar powder is a crucial ingredient here for getting the perfect texture. It’s similar to a vegan gelatin, but made from seaweed, not whatever gross stuff gelatin is made from. It comes in flakes and powder form, but I prefer the powder because it is so fool-proof and easy to work. Check your local Asian market for Telephone brand, or you can order it from Amazon or Vegan Essentials. One small jar will get you through dozens of pies, so it’s a worthwhile ingredient to have on hand.

Single pastry crust, fit into a 9 inch pie plate

3 cups cooked pumpkin or other sweet winter squash
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup plain unsweetened soy milk (or your favorite non-dairy milk)
4 teaspoons canola oil
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 /4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pinch ground cloves
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon agar powder

Preheat oven to 350 F. In a blender, pulse together pumpkin, maple syrup, soy milk, canola oil, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, salt, cornstarch and agar powder until very smooth. Pour into the pie shell and bake for 60 to 65 minutes until the center looks semi-firm not liquidy. Check the edges of the crust after baking for 40 minutes; if the edges appear to be browning too rapidly carefully remove the pie and apply crust protectors to the edges to keep from getting too dark.

Remove from oven and onto a cooling rack for 30 minutes, then chill for at least 4 hours before slicing. Serve with Rad Whip, vegan whipped topping or your favorite vegan vanilla ice cream. In the photo, we piped cream around the edges of the pie with a large decorating tip.

• November 16, 2012 at 12:11 am: Michele

YUM!!!! I am definitely making this next week!!!

There is a unit of measurement missing, but I am assuming that you mean 1/2 cup of soy milk. Yes?

• November 16, 2012 at 12:11 am: Michele

Fixed before I finished my comment. Nevermind!!! :)

• November 16, 2012 at 12:19 am: Amy

Could I use almond milk instead of soy?

• November 16, 2012 at 2:36 am: IsaChandra

• November 16, 2012 at 12:25 am: rogue1

Have you tried freezing this?

• November 16, 2012 at 12:37 am: Joselle

Made this last year for Thankagiving. There were 4 other nonvegan pies there and this was the only one that was completely devoured in 20 mins by all. SO DELICIOUS!

• November 16, 2012 at 1:51 am: Sarah

Seconding Amy’s question: Could one use unsweetened almond milk instead of soy?

• November 16, 2012 at 2:35 am: IsaChandra

Yep!

• November 16, 2012 at 2:26 am: dawn

When I made it I used almond milk instead of soy with excellent results

• November 16, 2012 at 3:12 am: Rebecca

I can’t find any organic canola oil, and I understand non-organic is all GMO – would safflower oil work as well?

• November 16, 2012 at 2:29 pm: IsaChandra

Sure!

• November 16, 2012 at 5:20 am: Michele

Hi Isa! Do you know how agar flakes would substitute for agar powder?

• November 16, 2012 at 2:29 pm: IsaChandra

They would have to be boiled first, so the recipe would be a bit different. I would just get the powder!

• November 16, 2012 at 5:20 am: Amey

yes! this has been my go-to pumpkin pie recipe for all these years as well. I love it so much!

• November 16, 2012 at 7:17 am: Bel

Do you have a recipe for the pastry pie crust? What store bought crust are vegan?

• November 16, 2012 at 11:45 am: Abby @ The Frosted Vegan

I was just searching for a great vegan pumpkin pie!

• November 16, 2012 at 12:14 pm: Therese

This looks amazing, I can’t wait to try it!

(Just googled agar flakes vs agar powder… “For every teaspoon of agar-agar powder, you should substitute a tablespoon of agar-agar flakes.” Not sure how well it will blend though…)

• November 16, 2012 at 2:28 pm: IsaChandra

It won’t blend, just do the powder!

• November 16, 2012 at 2:26 pm: Christina M

I buy agar powder at Whole Foods; it’s in the supplement section and you can buy just what you need (like a bulk spices set up).

• November 16, 2012 at 2:27 pm: IsaChandra

Cool! I’ve never seen it there, your WF must be better.

• November 16, 2012 at 2:35 pm: Ellie

I never thought to check the supplement section for agar powder at WF–I only saw the flakes in the seaweed section. I’ll have to look for it, because this pie needs to be eaten this Thanksgiving. I was so sad to miss out on pumpkin pie last year (it was my first Thanksgiving as a vegan).

• November 16, 2012 at 2:37 pm: Raja

How do you recommend cooking the pumpkin or squash? And is it 3 cups pureed or 3 cups of whole chunks?

• November 16, 2012 at 3:11 pm: Katrina

This sounds so perfect! Lovely idea!

• November 16, 2012 at 11:50 pm: Heather

How important is the Agar? I just went to Whole Foods, and they only had flakes. I bought that, but read in here it won’t work. Thanks! Also, where did you get the powder from?

• November 17, 2012 at 2:12 am: Bianca

I know this sounds horrible but is it ok to use canned pumpkins…

• November 17, 2012 at 8:58 pm: Alli

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. Is it ok to use canned pumpkin puree like in traditional pumpkin pies? That’s all I have access to :(

• November 17, 2012 at 10:40 pm: IsaChandra

Yes, of course. I don’t think I said not to?

• November 18, 2012 at 12:35 am: Gloria

i used a hand held blender and it worked quite well- I had to order the agar powder online

• November 18, 2012 at 12:43 am: Alli

Thank you, also would this work well with your almond crust?

• November 18, 2012 at 3:16 pm: Cecil

Made this yesterday – realized about 20 minutes into the baking time that I had the oil when making the filling (it’s a family tradition to forget one ingredient when making pumpkin pie, but usually it’s the sweetener) – at that point the filling was warm but not set, so I just added the oil then and stirred it very gently in, so as not to tear the crust – the final product was perfect, so I guess that worked out fine (I am thinking it may also have been fine to just let it go without the oil). FWIW. I roasted my pumpkin before pureeing it, and let it drain for a while after pureeing it – it makes for a richer, more dense flavor.

• November 18, 2012 at 6:08 pm: Caroline

What kind of pie crust did you use? Unfortunately there’s no Whole Foods in my area, but I have Wegman’s and my local co-op. Any suggestions?

• November 19, 2012 at 5:57 pm: IsaChandra

I made my own. But most premade vegan pie crusts are pretty decent! I have yet to run into a dud. I think a graham cracker or any cookie crumb crust would work as well.

• November 18, 2012 at 7:57 pm: Rebecca

I made this and it’s yummy! I only had agar flakes, so I ground them up with the spice-grinder-blade from my Magic Bullet for about 5 minutes (taking breaks so the Magic Bullet wouldn’t burn out). I don’t sense any agar bits – the pie is super smooth – so it must have worked. Also, I forgot to add the oil. The pie is a little soft/liquidy, but it’s still good. (I don’t know if it’s soft because it’s under cooked, because of the agar, or because I missed the oil.) Topped with coconut-whipped-cream, it’s pumpkin-pie-licious!

(I used a store-bought vegan crust from Whole Foods.)

• November 19, 2012 at 5:56 pm: IsaChandra

I’m glad you ended up with something decent, however, it was certainly liquid because of the agar. I really hope that people will use the agar powder, or at least the directions I gave for the flakes, in order to get perfect pies. I did a LOT of experimenting with grinding agar flakes when working on the pie book, and no matter how well I blended, it never came out well. There must be some difference with the commercially available powder.

• November 19, 2012 at 12:15 pm: ysol

Will agave work?

• November 19, 2012 at 12:17 pm: ysol

sorry, I meant as a sweetener of course.

• November 19, 2012 at 5:24 pm: Connie Fletcher

Thanks, Isa…once again. Do you ever feel like you’re going to trip on the superheroine cape you wear? It’s Super Isa to the rescue!!!!!!!!!!!! I know what I’m having for T-day!!!!

• November 19, 2012 at 7:49 pm: jade

Im goin to suuuuuuuuue you for making me fat haha…. However can one NOT eat this, stuff the diet man. Lets be fat n happy haha. This looks AMAZING Yum yum nom nom…. PLEASE come to England…. We neeed a good vegan chef.

• November 19, 2012 at 8:00 pm: Corinne

Regarding the Agar powder; my Whole Foods also only has flakes but most Asian speciatly places have it so if you have one near you check with them. That was where I found mine and it was cheap! =)

• November 19, 2012 at 8:29 pm: julia

Is there anything I could sub for agar? Can’t find this in my little Midwestern town (used to buy it when I lived in the big city!). And it’s too late to get it shipped in time for T-giving. Would xanthan gum or possibly chia seeds do? Or do I just need to use a different vegan pumpkin pie recipe? (I’m aware of some, but this one looks so good!)

• November 19, 2012 at 9:47 pm: IsaChandra

I would just use a different recipe :(

• November 19, 2012 at 8:54 pm: julia

PS to my previous comment – would psyllium husk sub for agar? I still have some of that left over from my big-city days!

• November 20, 2012 at 1:12 am: Marlee

Could I use kudzu instead of agar for the thickening agent? Not sure if I can get my hands on agar powder before Wednesday pie baking — this sounds delicious, so I’d love to try it with what I have on hand! Thanks!

• November 20, 2012 at 1:40 am: IsaChandra

Agar isn’t for thickening, it’s for gelling. So no, not really :(

• November 20, 2012 at 3:54 am: Helena

Hi, wowzers, lot’s of hoopla about the agar powder :)

• November 20, 2012 at 4:02 am: Taylor

Do you think anything disastrous would happen if I spread some salted caramel sauce between the crust and the filling?

• November 20, 2012 at 4:21 am: IsaChandra

If it’s a sauce that works elsewhere in a baked pie, probably not. But some caramels harden way too much after baking for that long, so make sure it’s tried and true or has great reviews.

• November 21, 2012 at 1:37 am: megan

I’m excited to try this for my egg-allergic son who has never had pumpkin pie!

Could I substitute honey or something else for maple syrup? I live outside of the US where maple syrup is about as exotic (and expensive) as caviar.

• November 21, 2012 at 1:49 am: Barbara Shumannfang

Vegan Pie In the Sky question—I’m planning on making the Chocolate Mousse Tart to bring to Thanksgiving dinner and need to make it with a gluten-free crust. My plan was to use the gluten free version of the press-in almond crust (p.52). The Chocolate Mousse Tart requires no baking. How long and what temp do I bake the gluten free crust before filling with the mousse?
    Would it work to add cocoa powder to the crust recipe to “chocolate it up” a bit (if so, how much)?
    Many thanks!

• November 21, 2012 at 4:31 pm: IsaChandra

15 minutes sounds about right. And a few tbls chocolate would be great.

• November 21, 2012 at 3:45 am: Mandy

I’ve just found your recipe after an exhaustive search for dairy and soy free alternatives. It looks delicious and the raves are encouraging. Any recommendations for baking in ramekins instead of a crust? (We deal with a lot of allergies!)

• November 21, 2012 at 4:20 am: Lora

Thanks Isa! This is a great recipe, and I like this approach for the agar – it simplifies things by removing the boiling step that many recipes go through. I’d recommend clarifying that the spices and agar be combined first before adding to the processor – I add them through the chute while the processor is going so that everything blends easily. Otherwise powder may go everywhere and take longer to get incorporated. This worked great with my graham cracker crust too!

• November 21, 2012 at 5:05 pm: Barbara Shumannfang

Thank you so much! You must be up to your eyeballs in your own meal prep plus helping all of us. I really appreciate it! This pie is going to rock the house!!!

• November 21, 2012 at 6:47 pm: Shannon

I know a lot of people have already asked about the agar, and you are probably tired of the same question! But I am not able to get (or hunt down) agar powder before tomorrow. We have agar flakes already and all the other ingredients. Any chance there is a way to use the agar flakes and you might be able to suggest how to go about it? Thanks! And happy Thanksgiving!

• November 21, 2012 at 8:55 pm: Kat

I only had the flakes and since I live over an hour from the nearest place to get the powder I just used them. I let them soak in the soy milk while I rolled out the crust and got everything ready. We had thanksgiving early and the pie turned out great! Tasted amazing and the consistency was correct. Maybe I just got really lucky? But it did work fine for me.

• November 21, 2012 at 9:00 pm: Marlee

hi! it’s kudzu girl, again! could i use arrowroot powder? I managed to get to Whole Foods, but they only had the agar flakes — dang!

• November 21, 2012 at 11:47 pm: tara

Unbelievably, this question isn’t about agar! It’s about the squash. I used kabocha and 3 cups is too much apparently as the mix was so stiff. I kept adding more milk and maple syrup to make it thinner, adjusting the spices, agar and cornstarch as I go. It’s still too stiff but I don’t want to keep adding more liquid to it. I’m about to put it in the oven, we’ll see what happens!

• November 22, 2012 at 12:35 am: Britany

Hey Isa! Is there anything I can replace the agar powder with? This is a pumpkin pie emergency! </3

• November 22, 2012 at 12:53 am: Gary Loewenthal

I made this tonight. Wow, it looks fabulous, and smells divine. Waiting for it to cool…eternity…

• November 22, 2012 at 5:14 am: Kimberly

Oh geez, just confused agar and arrowroot! Will let you know if this inadvertent substitution works.

• November 22, 2012 at 5:18 am: Give the girl a break...

Hi, Can I use zucchini instead of pumpkin, chocolate syrup instead on maple, water instead of milk, and jelly instead of oil. Luckily, I have agar powder…
    Also, if I use a recipe that isnt this one, can you please tell me how its gonna come out?

• November 22, 2012 at 5:51 am: Senorita_r

HELP!…..Where are your instructions for substituting agar powder with the flakes? I only have flakes available.

• November 22, 2012 at 6:11 am: Senorita_r

I found it! It’s in the Latchkey Lime Pie recipe…whew, that was a close one.

• November 22, 2012 at 2:08 pm: Donna

I made this last night. It looks great! Haven’t tasted it yet, but the texture looks awesome. Thanks! As for all of the agar powder searchers, Asian or Filipino grocers are the way to go. Little blue and white packets, the brand is Telephone, and it’s suuuuper cheap!

• November 22, 2012 at 6:03 pm: Cecil

Like Tara, I tried making a kabocha squash version of this last night – way too thick, it came out more like a sweet potato pie than a squash pie. Tasty, but not for people who are expecting the lighter squash or pumpkin pies. Oh well.

• November 22, 2012 at 7:52 pm: Kate_Bakes

My agar arrived in time!!!! I was so pleased. It’s baking in the oven as we speak. My parents love you FYI, this may be because they’re foreign and attribute my weight gain to your books.

• November 23, 2012 at 3:12 am: B

If anyone is in Brooklyn and is in a quick bind, they sell agar powder at a new health food/vitamin shop on the corner of 5th avenue and Douglass Street (across the street from V-spot, same side as Bogota). I’m not endorsing just helping to locate some…

• November 23, 2012 at 2:28 pm: Crystal

We made this for Thanksgiving and it was just perfect. It looked perfect, tasted great, and was easy to make!

• November 23, 2012 at 8:52 pm: Emily

I used agar flakes — I used able a tbsp and a half of the flakes, brought them to a boil in the _soymilk and maple syrup_ (no additional liquids), whisking regularly once it got to a boil. I took it off the heat after about 5 minutes of boiling, then added an ice cube to cool it down before adding it to everything else in the food processor. Turned out great, from what I can tell, the consistency is nice and firm.

• November 23, 2012 at 8:54 pm: Kate

I made this pie yesterday using agar flakes, and it turned out great. I followed the directions for the flakes listed in the Latchkey Lime Pie recipe…soaked 1 tablespoon flakes in the soy milk for 15 minutes, brought them to a boil, turned heat down and simmered for 15 minutes, and then let cool. Added this mixture to the blender (being sure to add extra soy milk since some cooked off). The flakes blended in perfectly, and the consistency of the pie was awesome! Not liquidy in the least!

• November 24, 2012 at 12:17 am: Lindsey

Followed the recipe to a T and it was delicious! Thanks!

• November 24, 2012 at 9:16 pm: Jason

I made this using arrowroot powder instead of agar powder and it turned out great.

• November 25, 2012 at 4:08 pm: mmc

This recipe rocks. I was looking for an egg-free pumpkin pie and it turned out great! Perfectly smooth thanks to the agar agar powder and with a great flavor (I’m not a vegan, but I thought it was better and more pumpkin-y than the version with eggs). I used canned pumpkins (can’t get the real thing where I live) and honey (also can’t get maple syrup) and light olive oil (we put it in all kinds of baked goods in my Mediterranean country).

• November 26, 2012 at 1:56 am: Harald

This pumpkin pie is great. We’ve tried many vegan recipes over the years and they never turned out that well. Easy to make, no exotic ingredients, super tasty!

• November 26, 2012 at 3:46 pm: Nikki @ The Tolerant Vegan

My husband and I made this pie for Thanksgiving and it was PERFECT! Thank you so much for the recipe!

• November 28, 2012 at 9:33 pm: Sara @ The Cozy Herbivore

Myra was a teacher at my culinary school, although I’m sad to say I never got the chance to take a class with her. I’ve always loved her recipes and her sensuous approach to vegan cuisine. This looks divine, and I love that she uses agar to thicken her pie custards– how clever!

• November 29, 2012 at 2:52 am: AshYTim

What a pretty looking pie!

• November 29, 2012 at 5:04 pm: a farmer in the dell

It’s a week after Thanksgiving and you have convinced me to finally make a pumpkin pie! this sounds amazing!

• November 29, 2012 at 9:50 pm: Jeannie

Is this a deep dish pie or a shallow pie? My guess is deep dish, but I want to be sure. Thanks!

• November 30, 2012 at 10:17 pm: tia mikito

i am alergic to ANYTHING corn. can i use flour?

• December 1, 2012 at 1:45 pm: Monique

Made this for Thanksgiving for the non-vegan family and it was a hit! I had no agar powder so I just used corn starch instead and it came out just fine. Awesome recipe!

• December 12, 2012 at 8:39 pm: Radha

Thank you so much for this amazing recipe. If I use canned pumpkin would that change the measurements.
    Many vegan recipes I have browsed ask for 2 cups canned pumpkin.

• December 13, 2012 at 7:48 pm: Dawnne

This is perfect pumpkin pie.

I used three cups canned pumpkin, Radha.

• December 18, 2012 at 10:11 pm: Darren

Your awesome Isa. I have made many cookies and cupcakes from your books. I just got Appetite for Reduction and made a few thing out of it. This is my first time on your blog. I need to get my cooking face on.

• December 24, 2012 at 1:32 pm: AmyCL

Question: made the pie yesterday afternoon and it was forgotten about while cooling and left out for multiple, overnight hours. If I put it in the fridge now, will it be ok, or do I need to make another pie??

• December 26, 2012 at 1:58 pm: Fenice

This is so delicious, with a lovely subtle gingery spiciness. I’m not a great pie-maker, but I took a chance and made this pie for Christmas dinner and when I asked my omni brother (who is notoriously picky) what he thought of it, he said, “Can’t talk. Eating pie.”

• January 3, 2013 at 3:12 pm: Michael

Thanks for this recipe! I’ve made this twice (with canned pumpkin and a prepared vegan pie crust) and it’s great – perfect texture and taste. I feel like it could be a little sweeter, though. Any ideas on how to make it sweeter? Could I add some sugar (say a 1/4 cup)? I don’t want to mess up the texture or keep it from setting up.

• March 31, 2013 at 9:34 am: pambu

Can I use fresh coconut milk instead of soy/almond milk? If so, would I need to dilute it with water or can I just use it as it is?

• October 12, 2013 at 3:35 pm: Sally

Will agar flakes work? and will it be the same measurements?

• October 13, 2013 at 9:09 pm: melly_earth

If you can only find agar flakes you can grind it into powder using a coffee grinder, am I wrong?

• October 16, 2013 at 3:20 am: Courtney

Yumm!! This pie is awesome! Turned out soo good! Thank you for the recipe!
    The only thing is next time I’ll probably only put 1/2 tsp ginger. Although I love ginger, I thought the spices were a little off.

• October 16, 2013 at 8:48 pm: wendy

THis pie is so awesome. I made it for Thanksgiving this weekend (Canadian) It is the best and easiest pumpkin pie I have ever made. I have been trying to adapt my old standard recipe to be vegan and it just did not work. This did. I am tossing my old recipe. you rock.

• October 24, 2013 at 6:38 am: Carmen

would subbing coconut oil work?

• October 24, 2013 at 6:23 pm: IsaChandra

Yup, it works even better, actually!

• October 27, 2013 at 6:44 pm: leanne

i made this pie and all i taste is cornstarch. i made it about 16 hours ago. is the 2 Tbsp measurement correct? I want to try again- my craving is out of control at this point!! Please advise….

• November 10, 2013 at 8:48 pm: Kim

I just did a test-run for this pie, in prep of Thanksgiving, and I have to agree that I think it tasted too much like corn starch. However, the 3 other people who tasted the pie didn’t have the same experience and really like it! I guess for those of us who are sensitive to corn starch, would ground flax work instead?

• November 24, 2013 at 2:29 pm: Michelle in Massachusetts

Isa, sorry if this is a newbie question, but I don’t make a lot of pies. If I make a pastry crust from scratch, do I need to bake it first before I pour in the pie filling and follow your instructions from there? Or do I put the crust in the pie plate raw, add filling, and bake both together? p.p.s. Can you recommend a pie crust recipe? p.p.s. I love you!

• November 25, 2013 at 4:20 pm: Kathleen O'Keefe

Delicious!! I’m hosting a vegan Thanksgiving this year, and made this pie yesterday as a test. It is a winner! Thank you!!

• November 26, 2013 at 6:09 am: yates

I am hoping to bake this in a few days for my family’s thanksgiving. I am a little worried about all the cornstarch since others say the taste was overpowering. Would arrowroot or another root starch work?

• November 29, 2013 at 3:17 am: Kacey

This was seriously the best GF/Vegan Pumpkin pie I’ve ever had! Instead of Rad Whip we used Luna and Larry’s Coconut Bliss Vanilla Ice cream, and coconut milk whip cream. It was FANTASTIC! Thank you so much, I was afraid I’d never have good pumpkin pie agin! <3 (PS for crust we used King Arthur's GF All purpose flour, and made our own Vodka Crust!)

• December 2, 2013 at 4:57 pm: Anna

Where did you get your VEGAN pastry puff? it is vegan, right?

• December 4, 2013 at 1:21 am: Robert Grillo

This was the first pumpkin pie I ever made and I and my guests were absolutely delighted with the results. I really appreciate this recipe!

• December 13, 2013 at 8:59 pm: Buck

Ι’ve learn sоme excellent stuff here. Definitely price bookmarking for revisiting.
    I surprise how so much effoгt you plаce to create
    the sort of wonderful informatіve ѕite.

• February 2, 2014 at 3:19 pm: Devin

Can I use a gf pie crust?

• May 17, 2014 at 8:48 pm: Lauren

This is my go to recipe for pun’kin pie. I probably baked this pie about 10 times last holiday season! It’s SO GOOD and the consistency is perfect!

• September 24, 2014 at 2:45 pm: Sarah

Has anyone tried baking this recipe in mini versions? I’m hoping to bake a few 6″ pumpkin pies, but I am not sure how to adjust the bake times on this one as I don’t want crusts to burn after 60 minutes, but also don’t want a soggy pumpkin mess! Suggestions?

• October 8, 2014 at 8:35 pm: lilli

Can Xantham gum be used here in place of agar?

• October 12, 2014 at 3:06 am: misslioness

Hey thanks I am going to make this now. Does the pie crust need to be cooked before putting in the filling?

• October 13, 2014 at 8:36 pm: Gary

Just made this pie for Canadian Thanksgiving and it turned out amazingly delicious! As good or better than any non-vegan pumpkin pie I have ever had. I couldn’t find agar powder at the last minute so I cooked up 1 tablespoon of agar flakes in 1/4 cup of water until thick and bubbly and added it to the blender along with the other ingredients. Also added an extra 1/2 cup of sugar because I like my pie nice and sweet.
    Thank you Isa for all your many delicious recipes. Every one of your recipes that I try turns out super good.

• October 24, 2014 at 10:03 pm: Lisa

The first time I made this pumpkin pie I did so using Trader Joes canned pumpkin puree. While it was tasty we did find the recipe a bit lacking in traditional pumpkin pie sweetness and spiciness. This gave way to a more “canned pumpkin” pie flavor. My husband is a traditional pumpkin pie “officianado” and thus very particular with how pumpkin pie tastes. Given this, the second time I made the pie I still used the TJ’s canned pumpkin, but I replaced the 1/2 cup of maple syrup with 1/2 cup of Wholesome Sweeteners evaporated cane sugar (though I am sure any good quality evaporated cane sugar will do!) and I also replaced the spices called for in the recipe with 2 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice. This knocked the “traditional” pumpkin pie taste out of the park! The recipe tasted EXACTLY like a delicious, traditional pumpkin pie. There isn’t a soul around that would have a clue the pie is vegan!

• November 9, 2014 at 1:40 am: Cassia

Like pumpkin, don’t love it. Can I replace with sweet potato? Would I reduce the sweetener? Can I use brown sugar??

• November 9, 2014 at 1:42 am: Cassia

Can I use arrowroot instead of cornstarch?

• November 10, 2014 at 9:22 pm: Lia

I finally found a pumpkin pie (V) and it was a hit thank you , and I actually just made a sweet potatoe version which I just added 2 tablespoons of maple syrup instead and it was amazing and I also used 2 cups of pecans with 2 cups of dates and a half a cup of oatmeal and a touch of pumpkin spice for the crust ..(of course blend all the ingredients into a dough crust)

• November 14, 2014 at 1:47 am: Heather

Like several of the questions above, I’d love to know what to substitute for corn starch. (Cant eat corn on my elimination diet). If I don’t hear back, I will try double the amount of tapioca starch or arrowroot, though not sure what the amount?

• November 20, 2014 at 3:31 pm: Kristy

I’m in charge of desserts for a big group of non-vegans. I’d like to make this, your vegan pecan and am still searching for a third fab something. Is everyone going to gobble up the desserts like it’s the best thanksgiving ever!! OR will everyone look at me with tears in their eyes for ruining their holiday?? I’ve been vegan a long time and KNOW I’ll love every bite but don’t want assume everyone else will be fooled… I so don’t want to bust out super sad cow products!! Your honest advise please :)

• November 23, 2014 at 10:35 pm: Linda

Agar powder is typically available at Asian markets if you have one nearby.