January 12, 2013

Chickpea & Rice Soup With A Little Kale

Total time: 40 minutes || Active time: 15 minutes

Chickpea & Rice Soup

See those sets of footprints in the snow? Now notice where one set disappears? That was when soup was carrying you.

It’s January (again? wtf!) in the midwest. The Christmas lights are coming down (well, they should be anyway), the Valentine’s hearts have not yet appeared, and the New Year’s Resolutions are just beginning to wobble. The only thing that’s keeping society from falling to pieces is soup!

Invite a friend over, break some bread (olive sourdough spoken here), and inhale big bowlfuls of comfort like this one. Chewy rice and succulent chickpeas, fragranced with rosemary, thyme and celery, pulled together by luscious cashew cream. And of course I throw in a little kale at the end for good measure. I chose lacinato because it holds its bite, but you, of course, can use whatever you like! Some green onions on top add another whiff of of flavor and even a hint at Springtime, which — hard to believe — is just around the corner. I promise.

~ I used red rice here, but you can use whatever you like. Just note that brown rice will have a longer cooking time, so plan accordingly.

~ A good strong broth is essential for flavor here. I recommend Better Than Boullion, No Chicken flavor if you can get your hands on it. So worth it! Especially in the winter months when you might not have any homemade.

~ If — for whatever reason — you don’t want to use cashew cream, unsweetened plain almond or soy milk will work. It doesn’t get as creamy, but it’s still yummy! Just please double and triple check that it’s unsweetened, or it’ll be awkward tasting.

3/4 cup cashews, soaked in water for 2 hours or overnight

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
Fresh black pepper
3/4 cup rice, rinsed (see note about rice)
3 ribs celery, thinly sliced
1 cup carrots, diced chunky
5 cups vegetable broth

1 24 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (about 3 cups)
4 cups chopped kale

Thinly sliced green onion, for garnish

Drain the cashews and place them in a blender with one cup of fresh water. Blend until completely smooth, scraping the sides of the food processor with a spatula occasionally to make sure you get everything. This could 1 to 5 minutes depending on the strength of your blender.

Preheat a stock pot over medium heat. Saute onion in olive oil with a pinch of salt for about 5 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper and saute a minute more.

Add rice, celery and carrots and then pour in the broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, bring down to a simmer, add the chickpeas, and let cook for about 15 more minutes, until rice is cooked and carrots are tender.

Add the cashew cream and kale, and simmer until kale is wilted, 3 to 5 more minutes. You may need to add water to thin the soup if it seems too thick. Taste for salt and seasonings and let sit for 10 minutes or so to allow the flavors to marry. Serve topped with green onions.

It thickens as it cools, so if you have leftovers, just thin with a little water when you reheat.

• January 12, 2013 at 6:00 pm: George

Wow, looks great! I see in a lot of your recipes that you like to soak nuts over night or over several hours. Usually I just boil them. Have you ever tried to boil cashews or other nuts instead of soaking them? Have you noticed a difference?

• January 12, 2013 at 6:10 pm: IsaChandra

I have! It works. Secret: I’ve also microwaved for 2 minutes. I’m a terrible person. For a long time, I thought that there was a difference, so I never mentioned it. But now I’m pretty sure there isn’t.

• January 12, 2013 at 6:15 pm: Aleks

awesome! it must so tasty. A pity cashewnuts are so expensive cause I could to this every day!

• January 12, 2013 at 6:31 pm: Jessica

Isa, you are so funny! I laughed out loud at the “soup was carrying you” part at the top. Oh, and your recipes are awesome too. Can’t wait to try this one.

• January 12, 2013 at 6:42 pm: Michael

Do you think boiling nuts instead of soaking will remove nutrients, etc compared to soaking?

• January 12, 2013 at 6:54 pm: Barbara

OMG the footprints opener made the recipe worth it right there. I can’t stop chuckling…
    Making the recipe too, of course. Continuing to enjoy Appetite for Reduction, made chocolate cherry bread for new years as a special treat. Next up: this soul-satisfying, head-cold butt-kicking chickpea soup!

• January 12, 2013 at 6:56 pm: Julia

This sounds fantastic. Love love love soups in the winter time.

• January 12, 2013 at 7:19 pm: KrisB

This looks great! And so easy! Can’t wait to make this. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

• January 12, 2013 at 7:20 pm: Michelle W

YUM! I will use my soy-free Not-Chik’n broth cubes.

• January 12, 2013 at 7:39 pm: kate

Any idea on how much cashew cream the recipe actually uses? I’ve already got some made and i’m not sure how what the equivalent measures are from cashews + water to cream.

• January 12, 2013 at 9:20 pm: Herbivore Triathlete

I’ve got lentil, kale & potato soup simmering on the stove right now, LOL. This soup sounds like another great hearty winter soup, thanks Isa!

• January 12, 2013 at 9:27 pm: jackie

so yummy!

think will there be any difference if i replace the kale with collard greens and swiss chards? (have tons of that from CSA this week)

• January 12, 2013 at 10:33 pm: Nicole

I’m making it right now and the cashews came out to 1 1/2 cups (to previous poster, kate).

• January 12, 2013 at 10:49 pm: Inexperienced cook

This sounds wonderful! I apologize if this is a dumb question, but where is the note about the rice?

• January 12, 2013 at 10:51 pm: jen

I’m always excited about the recipes that call for soaked cashews, but haven’t made any because I don’t have a blender…would thinning out tahini or a nut butter work in a pinch? Sorry if this is a dumb question….

• January 12, 2013 at 11:40 pm: Maven

FYI, I made this tonight because I had everything on hand except the cashews–and I’m here to say that tahini is a great sub. I also added a medium potato (little cubes) at the same time as the other veg to thicken/starch it up a little bit, and stirred in a couple tablespoons of tahini at the end.

• January 12, 2013 at 11:46 pm: Jessica

Hi, if i was to substitute almond milk, how many cups would I use?

• January 13, 2013 at 12:52 am: Adam

I just made this. ‘Twas quite wonderful.

• January 13, 2013 at 12:58 am: Kimberly German

Just made this tonight. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!

• January 13, 2013 at 1:33 am: Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar

This looks awesome!

• January 13, 2013 at 2:09 am: Sean

Oh. Em. Gee. This was so good. Thanks for another winner! I decided to make it with pearled barley instead of rice, because I prefer the texture in soups, so I added extra water and cooked it for longer. Perfect for the weather here in Denver!

• January 13, 2013 at 2:49 am: caroline

I made this tonight but used white kidney beans instead of chickpeas- I already eat so much hummus made with chickpeas– it is an awesome, quick and nutriciouc recipe. Thank you!

• January 13, 2013 at 4:19 am: Leslie

Just made this and it was amazing! I used pearled barley instead and it was great – also used a but of fresh marjoram and doubled the garlic as my hubby and I are HUGE garlic lovers! Thanks for this great recipe!

• January 13, 2013 at 6:15 am: cat

I love your recipes – and this sounds great! In fact it’s going to work with where I’m at on the anti-candida diet, so I’m making it tonight. Hope I’m not out of my homemade bouillon, though! Did you know that Better Than Bouillon has added sugar in it? Just FYI… It might not bother most people, and I was shocked to see it in the ingredients because I used to use it all the time. Just thought you might want to know, as I never used to even check ingredients until a month ago.

• January 13, 2013 at 6:50 am: Kate

Wow. Just made this and it was delicious! I ended up using a heapin 1/3 cup of cashew butter. Only had about 2 cups of garbanzos but added in about a cup of mushrooms too. Finished with a full firmly packed 6 cups of lacinto kale. The house smells incredible and this is going to be the perfect lunch tomorrow as we freeze our arses off here in Phoenix.

• January 13, 2013 at 7:58 am: JasonG

I just got some black chickpeas and will try this as it looks great! For nice vegi-stock, check out “more than gourmet”, it’s really just like home made :)

• January 13, 2013 at 8:16 am: Kayleigh

This was AMAZING, thank you! Even better with a bit of the red hot tahini sauce.

• January 13, 2013 at 3:45 pm: Doug

Kitchen Basics makes a much better stock for soups. And they make a no-salt version of most of them as well, so you can cook them down for more flavor without it getting salty!

• January 13, 2013 at 7:53 pm: IsaChandra

I’m not sure if they make a concentrated one, though. I love the BTB brand because it’s yummy and so cheap since it’s concentrated. I think it comes out to like 25 cents a cup!

• January 13, 2013 at 6:58 pm: Mary Beth

I probably shouldn’t mention that it was 81 degrees here in South Carolina yesterday, should I? Well, I’m still going to be eating this soup ASAP. Maybe alongside some of your amazing cornbread.

• January 13, 2013 at 7:54 pm: IsaChandra

Just sit in front of the AC with it.

• January 13, 2013 at 9:39 pm: Gina Vivinetto

Just, thank you for the awesome caption.

• January 13, 2013 at 10:07 pm: KZCakes

Viva La Soup! That’s a combination of languages for “soup is awesome.” There’s no place on earth that doesn’t consider soup a beloved essential. And if there is… I’ll… teach em a thing or two!

• January 13, 2013 at 10:10 pm: kelly

Made this today, nailed it! Great recipe, thank you.

• January 13, 2013 at 10:22 pm: Ellen

I’d love to try it with some yummy black rice, though I think it might turn the broth a creamy blue! Not so sure others would find it as appetizing as the originql, though I’m sure I would.

• January 13, 2013 at 10:23 pm: Heather

Made it and it was delicious! My kids really enjoyed it. :)

• January 13, 2013 at 10:38 pm: Donna

Fabulously delicious, creamy and filling. I made some biscuits while the soup was simmering and it was a fast and easy supper. Lots of leftovers for the week ahead, too. Thanks Isa!

• January 14, 2013 at 12:58 am: Canaan Rice

De-licious!! My hubby’s first words, “this needs to be a staple!!” thanks for a yummy staple recipe!

• January 14, 2013 at 1:31 am: Beth

Love it! I was so happy to have all the ingredients on hand. I added water, but it still came out more like stew. So tasty and even better reheated. And your footprint opener killed me. Funny lady.

• January 14, 2013 at 1:50 am: Alex S.

OH YA! Another winter hit! I only had a 15 oz can of chick peas, but I did have a block of tempeh so I added that too. I cooked it with the onions in some beer. I also used pearl barley instead of rice and it has a really satisfying bite.

• January 14, 2013 at 1:53 am: jess

this soup is even more delicious than it looks and it looked darn good. the only modification i made was leaving out the celery. it’s the ONLY vegetable that i absolutely cannot stand. isa you have outdone yourself again. a great meal for a cold winter night in iowa.

• January 14, 2013 at 3:06 am: Carmen Holder

Oh my goodness!! This was so delicious, I don’t even have the words to describe it! I used great northern beans tho instead of chickpeas cuz that’s what I had in the pantry. Yum!!

• January 14, 2013 at 7:54 am: Meryl

Thought it looked like it had milk or cream. Recipe calls for making cashew milk, which I’ve made. It’s made with raw, unroasted unsalted cashews.

• January 14, 2013 at 1:26 pm: Mary wornoff

I love soup and this recipe sounds delish. I make soup all year round. Almond milf is what I always use for cream bases but i will try the cashew milk on this one. Thanks for the heads up. I will share this.

• January 14, 2013 at 5:13 pm: tom

Are there any vegetarian recipes that don’t include rice, potatoes, bread or pasta?
    There are people that are diabetic or pre-diabetic that would be interested in that.

• January 14, 2013 at 5:36 pm: Kimberly Andresen-Reed

I actually have some MimicCreme that I need to use up and I was planning on making this. Could you give me an approximate measure of the amount of cashew cream that you end up with once it’s blended? I’ve got half a package left, about 8 oz, so I think that’d be about right to use that instead of homemade cashew cream.

• January 14, 2013 at 5:37 pm: Trish

I made this. As soon as I saw the recipe, I just had to try it. My hubby is a creamy soup kind of guy. I had never hoped to be able to make him something creamy that was vegan. I’ve tried soy milk, soy based creamers, and I just did not like the taste and frankly didn’t think a seriously processed food was all that much healthier than just plain old dairy. Kinda felt like I was just trading one evil for another.

This soup knocked his socks off! I will definitely make this again and I can’t wait to try this technique next time I make his favourite cream of wild mushroom soup!

• January 14, 2013 at 9:57 pm: Melissa

Wow! This recipe looks fabulous. Must.Get.Some.More.Chickpeas.

(On another note, I made your Lotsa Veggies Lentil Soup recipe from Appetite for Reduction though I subbed kale for the spinach as this was what I had, and love it!) Then again, Appetite for Reduction has become my go-to cookbook since I purchased it in April of last year.

• January 14, 2013 at 10:24 pm: Melissa

Delicious!! I added about a cup of mushrooms, and as another reviewer suggested, 3Tbsp of tahini because I didn’t have cashew cream. Definitely more of a stew. But with the sweet onion and the savory tahini… O.M.G. this was amazing!

• January 15, 2013 at 12:31 am: Matthieu

You know if a soup is good when your 5 years old son tells you “Dad, this soup is the best soup on earth” Thanks ♥

• January 15, 2013 at 3:53 am: Emily

I just made this minus celery and green onions, add curry pita toasts, sub brown rice. So rich, comforting, and aromatic!

• January 15, 2013 at 4:04 am: David

Made this for dinner this evening. We always keep cashews around for cream of broccoli and I just made some chick peas a couple days ago. Cup and a half of left over brown rice and some kale that needed to be eaten and WOW! Really really good soup and made some extra room in the fridge. We’ll be enjoying this again soon.

• January 15, 2013 at 7:44 am: Sarojini

Wonderful creamy soup! My husband sometimes adds ground sunflower seeds to soup to make it richer.

• January 15, 2013 at 4:26 pm: Susie

Just finished making this… it is probably the best soup I’ve ever had. I went ahead and let the cashews soak overnight, just because I had the time to do it (even though I am very excited to learn that I can microwave them too!). I used white beans instead of chickpeas, I didn’t have an onion, so I picked a couple of small leeks from the garden (my kale is from the garden, too), and I added mushrooms…because I like them :) Thank you so much, Isa for sharing your amazing recipes! I got 2 of your cookbooks for Christmas :)

• January 15, 2013 at 7:42 pm: Jason

I’ve been vegan for a little over a year and this is one of the most delicious things I’ve made thus far. I gotta hand it to you, your recipes whether in blog or cookbook form make me wonder why I didn’t give up all animal products sooner. Eating your meals, using your recipes…I don’t miss meat at all. In my pre-veg life, whenever my wife would suggest soup for dinner, I would say, with a hint of snark, “Thanks for the thought, but I’m not sick,” because as a meat-and-potatoes person my whole life I couldn’t imagine a world where soup, just SOUP, was a meal unless you had a sore throat and the sniffles. You have changed my mind. Time and time again. Thank you.

• January 15, 2013 at 8:01 pm: gina

All I can say is ‘Orgasmic’! I’m eating this right now for lunch. YUM!

• January 15, 2013 at 8:15 pm: Katie

I always make creamy soups by blending some of the soup with cashews and nut yeast! Yummy goodness! Tom: replace starches with more veggies.

• January 15, 2013 at 10:34 pm: Suzanne

OH. MY. GOODNESS. I want to SWEAR at you right now this is so good.
    But I won’t.
    Cause I’m a lady.

This is the one of the best things I’ve ever put in my mouth. I knew it would be good, but this was UNREAL.

I microwaved my cashews, cause I’m lazy, and my market didn’t have kale so I had to use broccoli. I also only had a 19oz can of chickpeas but added a cup of sweet potato.

Thank you for continuing to amaze me and my tastebuds.

• January 16, 2013 at 12:40 am: Lisa

This soup is a winner! I made it tonight and it was delish! I used spelt berries because I didn’t have any interesting rice (I soaked and cooked them a bit first). It added a nice bite/texture to it. I also had to use curly kale since that’s all I had, but it was great. I used homemade veggie stock and then added an Un-Chkn cube to make it a little richer. Served it with lots of fresh cracked pepper and some nice toasty whole grain bread. It was a perfect dinner on this chilly night! Thank you!!

• January 16, 2013 at 1:29 am: Katie

Made this tonight! Turned out amazing with a few add ins. I pressure cooked my chickpeas. Used wild rice which did take a long time to boil, 35 min maybe. After 35 min of boiling rice and veggies I added a diced up white sweet potato and few yukon gold potatoes. I added nooch to the cashew cream. Added some dry dill with spices. All together it turned out really good. I use celifibr no chicken boullion cubes. The soup had a lot of different textures and a great flavor combo of mild sweet and savory! All three kiddos of mine loved it! I almost forgot to add kale but the kale is like the cherry on top!

• January 16, 2013 at 4:45 am: Momi

Yum! I made this for dinner tonight, and my family LOVED it! Like other commenters, I am enjoying Appetite For Reduction. Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipes, Isa!

• January 16, 2013 at 5:29 am: Karen

Seriously, the best soup I have ever had! As always, your recipes ROCK!

• January 16, 2013 at 1:43 pm: Susan

Do you know the Nutrition values of this recipe? I do Weight Watchers and would like to figure out the points plus value. Thanks!

• January 16, 2013 at 4:51 pm: Lyndsay O.

Made this last night with unsweetened almond milk, because I’m poor, but still really wanted to make this soup. I was not disappointed, and I’m just thinking how much better it would taste with cashew cream! Better than Bouillon is my absolute favorite, so thanks for suggesting. This soup was so comforting—thanks for the recipe!

• January 16, 2013 at 4:53 pm: Lyndsay O.

Susan (commenter right above me), I do WW, and I put the recipe in the recipe builder (although I used almond milk), and it came to 6 points when you make it into 8 servings. Hope this helps! Have you tried the recipe builder? It’s magic!

• January 16, 2013 at 5:21 pm: Kim

Any thoughts on using coconut creamer instead of the almond milk or cashew cream?

• January 16, 2013 at 7:28 pm: Tessa

This soup is magical. My normally fussy three month old happily sat in her chair the entire time it was cooking and my newly-picky 3 year old asked for a second bowl! Wonderful and warming! I added a few cups of grated celeriac to it, mostly because I’m addicted to it and will put it into anything I can.

Thank you for another great recipe!

• January 16, 2013 at 8:51 pm: Laura V

I’m making this right now in a slow cooker. I almost had a meltdown when I found out all I had was a half a can of chickpeas. HALF A CAN! I’m not sure how that happened. As I generally have several cans on hand. I just upped the rice and kale a little. Fingers crossed it comes out ok. :)

• January 16, 2013 at 10:18 pm: Robin F.

I finally made this meal last night and it was a hit in our house. I don’t know how you do it Isa, but everything you make is fool proof. Because of you, I can make a baguette I can be proud of (Olive oil bread) and yes I served it with this awesome soup ;)

• January 16, 2013 at 10:32 pm: Kat

I’m allergic to cashews and it breaks my heart when I see a recipe that looks amazing but it’s one of the main ingredients. Are there any good substitutes? I’m only allergic to cashews and pistachios any other nut I can eat and be fine.

• January 17, 2013 at 1:17 am: Nikki

YUMMMMM!!!!! I made this last night and had some Italian rosemary bread with it. SO SO GOOD! I substituted white navy beans for the chickpeas because I like them better and it was amazing.

• January 17, 2013 at 1:32 am: Lindsey

Just made this, it’s absolutely delicious!!! I nearly burned the kitchen down, but that is certainly not your fault. Didn’t have a big enough pot to start. I improvised, however, and it came out wonderfully! So filling. Thanks for the recipe :o)

• January 17, 2013 at 2:29 am: amy

great recipe! i added some lemon juice at the end

• January 17, 2013 at 4:46 am: Judi F.

Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing your talents.

• January 17, 2013 at 6:13 pm: emily

oh hells yeah!! I can’t wait for Friday night to soak my cashews for Saturday now!

• January 17, 2013 at 7:51 pm: Stacy

I made this last night. Easy and delicious! I used Trader Joe’s brown rice medley and it was perfect.

• January 17, 2013 at 9:43 pm: Jane

This was unbelievably, incredibly, beautifully delicious! So simple but so much flavour! I made mine with unsweetened soy milk instead of cashews and used brown rice for chewiness it was perfection, plain and simple!

• January 18, 2013 at 12:50 am: Chelster

I happened to have all the ingredients so this was dinner last night. Yum yum yum! Thank you so much for sharing the microwaving tip, Isa. The advance prep is the only reason I’ve never used cashews this way! I was missing out.

• January 18, 2013 at 7:16 am: Chelsea

I just found you a few months ago and I am now obsessed. I was living in darkness! This is by far my new favorite cooking blog. ! I’m now a proud owner of 2 of your cookbooks and can’t wait to get more. Made this tonight and it was amazing. Husband loved it too. Made it with wild rice and bok choy because that’s what I had and it was really, really delicious. THANK you for all of the healthy and inspired recipes!

• January 20, 2013 at 2:54 pm: IsaChandra

Aw shucks :)

• January 18, 2013 at 6:17 pm: Naomi

This is a PERFECT recipe for this time of year… I feel warmer already :)

Thanks!!!

• January 18, 2013 at 8:02 pm: Conveniently Natural

MMM I love soup! Excited to try this recipe, thanks for sharing it!

• January 19, 2013 at 6:09 am: Merris

I made this tonight. Very hearty and delicious.

• January 19, 2013 at 8:49 pm: Claire

I made this in a slow cooker today. Toss everything in for 4 hours on low (including the uncoked rice) it cam out fab.

• January 19, 2013 at 10:43 pm: Elizabeth Salmon-Omski

Love the recipe, def going to my favorites folder. Thank you!

• January 20, 2013 at 12:57 am: Jill

Holy AWESOME! This is my family’s new favorite soup BY FAR! Easy, yummy, creamy. Thank you!

• January 20, 2013 at 1:14 am: Eric

This isn’t a soup! It’s a meal in a bowl! I thought this could be a starter before some leftovers… Well, had to save the leftovers for another night… Yum.

• January 20, 2013 at 5:31 am: LJ

This is delicious! Hearty, satisfying, and just plain yummy. My boyfriend made it for us tonight and we both love it. Thank you for continuing to provide recipes my omnivore fellow enjoys making (and of course, eating) with his vegan gal. Looking forward to leftovers tomorrow…

• January 20, 2013 at 6:17 am: Amy

This was great! These are all ingredients I keep in the house and garden over the winter and I made cornmeal/cranberry muffins to go with it. The family ate until they were stuffed and the soup was gone. They couldn’t stop. Thanks Isa!

• January 20, 2013 at 6:48 pm: Liz

So stinkin’ delicious. Savory, warming, hearty, and nourishing. My non-vegan husband absolutely loved it. Thank you for this awesome recipe!

• January 20, 2013 at 7:11 pm: Alexis

I used frozen soaked cashews. I soaked a whole bunch two months ago, had extra and decided just to freeze them. I thawed them in the microwave on low for a few minutes before putting them in the blender with the water and the recipe still turned out great.

• January 21, 2013 at 12:49 am: B'klynHeart

This was easy and sooooo delicious! Nice delicate flavor, silky creaminess from the cashew… My father-in-law, a notorious kale hater, asked for seconds! Thank you for another home run!

• January 21, 2013 at 1:05 am: deLUXE

I just finished making this. It was soooooooooo good and so fresh. I used 1cup quinoa but would probably use rice or spelt next time. Sadly, I had no cashews so I had to use UNSWEETENED COCONUT MILK. It was fine, but thin. I would definitely go the cashew route next time. The green onions really set this off – don’t skip this step. This soup is just what I needed after all the ish i put in my body during the holidays. My resolution is to go mostly vegan this year and this was the perfect recipe to put me on the path. I made this recipe with butter instead of olive oil, but I used Harvest 2000 Chicken Flavor Vegetarian Bouillon Mix. It’s a tasty powder bouillon and I always have it on hand. Why mostly vegan? I’m a big believer in grass fed Butter for many reasons. One important reason is that the ONLY olis you should heat are butter, coconut oil and – gasp/yuk- beef tallow) Not olive, grapeseed, walnut, peanut or any other “high smoke point” oils. Look into it.
    But I digress – GREAT RECIPE!!!

• January 21, 2013 at 1:27 am: Kristi

Oh me oh my . . . This is soooo incredibly delicious. Everything you touch turns to yumminess! I stopped mid-bowl, telling my husband, “this is so good I need to write a review” (soup is cooling, it’s ok). THANK YOU!

• January 21, 2013 at 2:48 am: IsaChandra

Yay, thanks!

• January 21, 2013 at 2:20 am: HD

I made this today with a few subs. I used white beans in place of chickpeas (as I’m eating a lot of hummus at the moment), spinach in place of kale (I had it on hand) and wild rice (which I mostly-cooked in a separate pot before adding into the soup and simmering about fifteen minutes longer). But the biggest change I made was using PUREED SILKEN TOFU to make the soup creamy. I just gave it a whirl in my blender with a bulb of roasted garlic (peeled, duh) and then stirred it in. The soup is super-creamy and it adds 20 grams of protein to the pot!

• January 21, 2013 at 5:07 pm: Melissa J

This looks soooo yummy & perfect for a winter night!
    When do you add the rice & how much do you add?

• January 21, 2013 at 6:24 pm: Allison

I made this soup last night and I have to say, it’s one of the best I’ve ever made! In addition to the seasonings listed, I added some celery seed and a little extra salt. It was so delicious, and ever better for lunch today. Thanks Isa!

• January 21, 2013 at 6:45 pm: KimmiEva

What ind of rice do you use?

• January 21, 2013 at 6:48 pm: Kimmi

How many calories does this soup contain does anyone know?

• January 21, 2013 at 10:06 pm: Mary R

Tried this but it was too overwhelmingly creamy for me.

Good basic recipe – but I want to taste the veggies and the cashews overpowered them.

I think next time I might use 1/2 – 3/4 the amount of cashews. Also would be good with curry spices and dried fruits.

• January 21, 2013 at 11:16 pm: Jenna

This was delish! I didn’t have any cashews on hand so I used almond milk and 1-2 tablespoons tahini. I also topped it with ume plum vinegar which was a nice addition. Thanks for a great recipe!

• January 21, 2013 at 11:28 pm: Lorain

I made this twice in one week, if you can believe it, it tastes better then it looks. Fantastic soup recipe thanks SO SO much!!

• January 22, 2013 at 12:59 am: Danielle

I made this last night and man was it delicious. Your recipes never disappoint – Thanks!!

• January 22, 2013 at 1:08 am: Tracy

Yum!!! Creamy goodness. Can’t wait for tomorrow when I can eat more. As an aside, the soup gets astonishingly thick! I was worried because it started out so thin. Thank you for sharing these great recipes with a new vegan; I just ordered your cookbook.

• January 22, 2013 at 5:30 pm: Maya

This soup is officially amazing. I shared some with my folks, and my father who dislikes both chickpeas and kale thought it was amazing. Major soup win!

• January 22, 2013 at 9:35 pm: Astonia

So I am allergic to nuts. Would soy nuts work?

• January 23, 2013 at 12:30 am: IsaChandra

I haven’t used them in this recipes, but often sunflower seeds work! I think they work best if you have a great blender, though.

• January 23, 2013 at 6:07 am: Zach

Wwwwwwwowww! Made this for dinner tonight for my honey who’s feeling under the weather. Earned massive husband points!!! Made it with Thai red rice and the BtB broth. This recipe is surprisingly easy to make. The hardest part was waiting for the flavors to marry. Wanted to eat the whole pot (that could have been problematic!). Alas, creamy leftover goodness for lunch tomorrow. Thanks for sharing this recipe, Isa.

• January 23, 2013 at 6:57 pm: Stacy

So sad. Just ate my last bowl of this:( Guess that means I get to make it again!!

• January 23, 2013 at 9:17 pm: JewBerry

Can I sub homemade almond milk for cashew cream?

• January 24, 2013 at 2:33 am: Stephanie

Thank you. This recipe has made an awful week bearable. Simple favors from simple ingredients merged together to make a beautiful marriage of taste. The kale was a stark contrast from the rest of the soup, and it worked in that opposites attract sort of way.

Thank you, Isa. You never steer me wrong.

• January 24, 2013 at 3:10 am: Maggie

You have outdone yourself with this one! I can’t believe how utterly delicious this is. I could have easily devoured the whole pot. But I couldn’t bear the idea of no leftovers for lunch tomorrow. My husband, vegan by default (he says), couldn’t stop raving about it.
    Before I went vegan, I used to love a certain brand of veggie lasagna with a white sauce. The cashew cream reminded me of this. Hmm….I see a new culinary creation in my future. Thanks Isa Chandra!

• January 24, 2013 at 11:46 pm: Barbara

I think I did something wrong when I made this recipe. It was not very creamy. Any ideas how I could have messed it up?

• January 25, 2013 at 3:43 am: red

Sorry to barge in (I’m normally a harmless lurker) – Made this exactly according to the recipe, including the BTB and this soup is FREAKIN’ DELICIOUS. My husband (a fearful and newly minted vegan of two weeks ((YAY, I don’t have to cook two meals anymore!)) carted his bowl out to the the coffee table & his TV obsession, and I heard – slurp, “WOW” slurp, ,”Oh, WOW, this is sooo good…” slurp, “WOW (moan) WOW!”. “Baby, you’ve outdone yourself!”, he yelled. I said, “Not me, thank Isa. She’s a goddamn genius!”. Also, I’m on a mission to learn to like cooked greens; I love them raw, but the texture of cooked really bothers me. This totally did it for me. Thanks, Isa, you are BRILLIANT!

• January 25, 2013 at 10:49 pm: Mikaila

I think I said, “this soup is amazing,” about 10 times during my first bowl, and atleast 7 times during my second.

• January 26, 2013 at 12:48 am: Gayle

I made this today and LOVED IT! I made one change, simply because my grocery store was out of raw cashews…imagine that! I took 1 of the 3 cups of chickpeas and pureed it in 1C almond milk, then added it w the kale as in the recipe. It was DELISH and creamy!!!

• January 26, 2013 at 4:45 am: Patrick

This soup is unreal good. And pretty easy to make. Added fresh mushrooms too.

• January 26, 2013 at 5:50 pm: Julie

My family and I are big soup fans around here, as we eat it at least twice a week, and this one of the best recipes we’ve ever had. Nothing beats a big bowl of tasty soup! Thanks!

• January 27, 2013 at 1:36 am: Travis

We made this tonight. Followed you recipe exactly and it was amazing. Thanks for sharing!

• January 28, 2013 at 1:54 am: Jennifer

Fan-freaking-tastic! Reminded me of creamy chicken and rice soup from the old days. Perfect dinner for a snowy day!

• January 28, 2013 at 2:03 am: Amber

Just made this yummy recipe! I substituted zucchini for celery and used soy milk (unsweetened) in place of cashew milk. As I am a crappy cook, it was easy to make for me and tasted like a good hearty meal on a cold day. I bet it would be great with some vegan cornbread!
    Thanks so much for this great recipe!

• January 28, 2013 at 2:20 am: Marlene

This is the second time I have made this soup and it is FABULOUS!!!! I used barley instead of the rice. It definitively gets more “stewy” as it thickens so you can compensate with more broth. I have made this for friends, both vegan and non-vegan and it is an absolute hit! I will try many more variations but this is a go-to recipe.

• January 28, 2013 at 6:10 pm: Becky

This soup is insane. I’m pretty sure I licked the pot.

• January 29, 2013 at 12:11 am: Erin

This soup is ridiculous… as in ridiculously good. I made it when this recipe was first posted, used jasmine rice and soy milk (due to a my son’s wicked bad nut allergy). Tonight I have it on the stove again because it was such a hit. I only have brown rice though, and no celery to speak of, so we will see how it changes the flavour. This recipe is now a go-to for me — super easy and so yummy!

• January 29, 2013 at 12:13 am: Ann

Just had this for dinner and it was AMAZING!

• January 29, 2013 at 3:03 am: Allison Jordan

This soup looks so creamy and delicious. With it being winter, I’ve been craving thick comfort foods. I am looking forward to trying this one out!

• January 30, 2013 at 9:23 pm: Nushka

I just made this soup with pre-cooked brown rice and white beans instead of chickpeas. I also used a regular vegetable stock (not broth). It came out absolutely delicious! Perfect for the after snow storm here in Iowa :)

• February 1, 2013 at 12:14 am: paul c

Thanks.
    I’m going vegan for February, in like 5 hours. Just made this, and it is delicious! I was skeptical of the cashew cream, but it was easy to make and really worked.
    Thanks again. I highly recommend this for anyone going vegan for the first time.

• February 1, 2013 at 4:49 pm: Jacqueline

I’ve been unable to stop hovering over the stove taking spoonfuls of this. Excellent recipe! I used brown rice that I precooked for a half hour, curly kale and was out of rosemary so I added celery seed.

• February 2, 2013 at 12:14 am: Courtney

this is so yummy! thanks!

• February 2, 2013 at 12:20 am: Fizz

Looks delicious.

• February 2, 2013 at 12:33 am: Dawnne

I am so excited! I belong to the Tuesday Soup Group for the English Department, and I am bringing this soup!

• February 3, 2013 at 12:12 am: Ellie

Made this recipe tonight, it is the best new thing I’ve made in my 5 weeks as a vegetarian. (to answer another Ellen’s comments, I made it with black rice and it did not change the color of the soup) Great recipe, thanks!

• February 3, 2013 at 3:07 am: Jessica D.

I made this and it was incredible! The only thing I changed was subbing sage for the thyme since I cannot stand thyme. I do a weekly dinner swap with my non-veg(an) neighbors and they raved about it! The cashew cream is amazing. I love that trick. My 3 year old and 1 year old loved it too (except for the kale…still working on getting them to like it…one day I will win that battle!) Thanks for all the awesome recipes! I’m going to try the mango fried rice this week and am ordering 2 of your cookbooks!

• February 3, 2013 at 9:00 am: Livvie

I had this for lunch this week and it just got better the longer it sat! :)
    My rice didn’t cook within the 15ish minute mark (it actually took 45 minutes to get the rice to actually be tender. this might have been my fault as I didn’t soak the rice first, as I read that’s what you should do with red rice before cooking).

I loved the cashew creme. next time I think I will strain it with some cheese cloth to get rid of some of the grit.

• February 3, 2013 at 11:49 pm: Heather

This is the bombdigity. Made it a few times since you posted. Loves!!!

• February 4, 2013 at 12:35 am: Jenny B

WOWZERS! I couldn’t wait to make this soup so I subbed spinach for the kale, and it’s still amazing.

• February 4, 2013 at 5:44 am: Stephanie

Agree with Aleks – wish nuts weren’t so expensive! Looks great!

– Stephanie
    veganstate.blogspot.com

• February 4, 2013 at 1:59 pm: KrisB

I finally got around to making this and I’m so glad I did. That is one tasty, hearty bowl of yum.

• February 5, 2013 at 2:49 pm: Heidi

Thank you SO much for this recipe- whole family loved it… I’m going to be making this one over & over.

• February 7, 2013 at 4:36 am: Allison

This was amazing! My boyfriend labors under the false belief that soup is not a meal. I believe this proved him wrong. This will be made again, so flavorful.

• February 8, 2013 at 9:28 pm: C.

Absolutely lovely. My entire family enjoyed it, it is definitely going to become a regular winter dish. Thank you so much for posting it!

• February 10, 2013 at 7:02 pm: Ang

This is a fantastic comfort soup. Easy to make, absolutely delicious.

• February 12, 2013 at 11:33 pm: Josh

I started eating vegan a week ago. This is the second recipe I’ve made from this website and the second recipe that has completely exceeded my expectations. Totally awesome.

• February 13, 2013 at 5:31 pm: AMBO

Does anyone know if this will freeze ok?
    I love to keep a few servings of soup in the freezer for when I’m crunched for time, and things like Butternut Apple Soup (Ap for Reduction) work well but I’m not sure if the creaminess will ruin it when thawing.

• February 13, 2013 at 10:46 pm: Alexa

Just made it! This was my first time making any sort of cashew cream and WHOOO I’m glad I did! I also used yellow carrots instead of orange. This soup is so deliciously creamy & rustic :) Thanks for the recipe!

• February 14, 2013 at 5:07 am: Sonia

I’ve made this twice already and I and my non-vegan boyfriend are obsessed. The second time I actually made it with black eyed peas instead of chickpeas and we liked it even more!

• February 14, 2013 at 10:03 pm: Monica

Made this the other night and it was TO DIE FOR! Am sending it to family to make! yummmm

• February 16, 2013 at 4:24 pm: Bobbi

My 25 year old daughter and I have been vegan since October 2012…I have made lots of new recipes…she told me this is her favorite soup….yay Isa !!! Have 4 of your cookbooks and am on this website all the time. Thanks for all you do !!!

• February 16, 2013 at 10:46 pm: Julia

Tried it. And it was excellent. The cashew cream is transformative! Making it again for a gluten-free dinner.

• February 17, 2013 at 3:10 am: Cindy

yummy. so good on a cold night. i tried the better than boullion brand and loved it. I love that I can make exactly what i need and not waste a half box of broth. My cashew cream didn’t get very creamy even in my food processor. Was still tasty.

• February 18, 2013 at 7:14 pm: Melissa

This is such a winner recipe. It is so easy to throw together. I have made this so many times in the last few weeks since the post… everyone who has tasted it has asked for the recipe and is surprised there is no dairy in it. As far as the cashews go… if you forget to soak overnight, yes you can lightly boil them (you’ll notice them start to turn a bit grey looking when they are ready). The only thing about boiling or microwaving them is that your cashew is no longer “raw”. It still works for the recipe, but you are loosing the raw nutrients that the cashews provide. For those seeking a fair cost on great quality nuts and dried fruit should check out nuts.com. Their shipping costs are minimal and it usually arrives the next day.

• February 18, 2013 at 9:19 pm: Lowie

Loved this recipe! Rustic and slurptastical! This was the dish that finally got me to eat KALE!!! I subbed farro for the rice (cuz I’m so freakin bored of rice) which worked really well… until it turned my leftovers to mush :(. If anyone goes the farro route, I’d recommend cooking it separately and adding it in when serving. Thanks from the bottom of my tastebuds, Isa!

• February 19, 2013 at 6:19 am: Jan

I am always looking for something different. I will definitely try this one.

• February 20, 2013 at 1:51 am: GR

This soup was perfect a perfect winter meal. I’m in love!

• February 20, 2013 at 4:34 am: Gretchen

Amazing as usual Isa, you never disappoint!

• February 21, 2013 at 4:08 am: Jackie

This recipe is great! Everyone wanted seconds and there was enough to feed five people multiple bowls! Thanks for sharing!

• February 24, 2013 at 7:38 pm: Amy

Just made this on a very snowy day here in Denver. Used freshly made chickpeas that had been cooked with chiles. Omitted the rice and served over quinoa. Yum!

• February 25, 2013 at 5:35 pm: Allison

I’m not a soup person, but this was an absolutely phenomenal dinner for us– and lunch the next day! We don’t like celery, but everyone left us with tons after a super bowl party and we had to use it up. This was the perfect, most delicious recipe to pick! Thanks so much!

• February 25, 2013 at 7:19 pm: Ashley Eats

Fantastic hearty soup! :D This is destined to become an excellent staple soup for me.

• February 25, 2013 at 8:50 pm: Rachel

This soup is amazing! Wow. Thank you so much Isa for such a wonderful, comforting dish.

• February 26, 2013 at 11:01 pm: Cheryl

It is snowy and cold in Colorado today and I wanted something cozy and comforting for dinner. I knew I would find it on your website. I found this recipe and it must be fate, because I have everything at home just waiting to become this awesome looking soup! Thanks for the great recipes, as always!

• February 28, 2013 at 6:18 pm: Maryann

So very yummy!!

• March 7, 2013 at 4:19 am: Jill

Just made this tonight and it was so good! I had some leftover cauliflower I added in and it was a great addition (if I do say so myself). I can always count on your recipes to be delicious and worth the effort to make :)

• March 8, 2013 at 2:59 am: AshYTim

This soup is SO good!

• March 8, 2013 at 8:27 pm: Margaret

Lawdy lawdy lawdy, I just made this and it was outrageous(ly good)! Added some smoked chili powder b/c I add it to everything and it makes everything a fiesta. Yum!

• March 10, 2013 at 2:48 am: Meredith

I think this is the most delicious thing I have put in my mouth.

• March 14, 2013 at 5:01 pm: Erin

ZOMG AMAZING! Just made this today for lunch. Cleared the blustery blues right up!

• March 20, 2013 at 12:14 pm: Blue Butterfield

Love, love, love this soup! My Ninja pureed those cashews into milk in 15 sec flat! For the kids (or anyone who loves decadence.. added a vegan pie crust and it is the best damn pot pie ever!
    Cried laughing reading the intro Isa, as I do with all your cookbooks.

• March 29, 2013 at 4:50 pm: melissa

amazing! i subbed cabbage for the kale because i had it in my fridge. my husband and i decided it was more like a chowder than a soup and it would also probably be a great filling for a pot pie.
    thanks again Issa for another amazing recipe that will be a regular item in our household!

• April 1, 2013 at 3:12 pm: bryan @ wooden spice rack

looks yummy, make my saliva drippin :) and the season was right too for a hot soup. Also, its great to use Better Than Boullion, its vegan right? I really tempted to make it, but i’m a poor chef. By the way, do you guys have any idea what to substitute garlics? It seems that my stomach can’t handle it too well. Time to check the spices on my spice rack

• April 8, 2013 at 6:28 pm: Janice

This is the best soup ever. Just finished eating a bowl with some vegan cornbread. I’m stuffed. Didn’t have uncooked rice so I added leftover brown rice. Didn’t have celery so I added celery seeds. Didn’t soak my cashews. Just nuked them for 3 minutes. Someone suggested putting this in a crust. Yes. Next time

• April 10, 2013 at 11:52 pm: Tracey

just made this and I love it. Makes me never miss creamy soups again, cashews all the way!

• April 11, 2013 at 11:12 am: Meredith

Ok, so I just discovered this website for the first time a couple of days ago, after finishing the eye-opening book “Skinny Bitch.” I am now happily following a mostly vegan diet, and this soup (or “almost” this soup) was the first recipe I tried from this site. I did have to make some substitutions, because I only had fresh rosemary instead of dried, quinoa instead of rice, and I used several tablespoons of tahini because I didn’t have cashews on hand. But it was so freaking amazing, I woke up thinking about it this morning. I can’t wait to finish this batch, so I can make it again with the cashew cream!

• April 14, 2013 at 4:06 am: T.H.

This is the kind of food that makes me so happy to be a vegan! A perfect meal for a cold late spring night. Used fresh rosemary and thyme, just a little less than the recipe called for. Turned out great!

• April 21, 2013 at 1:18 am: Nikki

My name for this is THE GREATEST SOUP EVER! I make it with short grain brown rice that I’ve already made in my rice cooker. No one else in the house wants to eat it so I get it all to myself. YUMMMM!!!!!

• April 26, 2013 at 5:37 am: Chats

Don’t know if I ever posted how great this recipe is before but it doesn’t matter since I can’t say it enough. This kind of food makes me feel very connected to the planet. It is just perfect. I cook only once a week and make enough to freeze 6 extra meals so I now eat this once a week. I just love it.

• May 5, 2013 at 9:38 pm: Jen

Made this today for the second time and it is just as delicious as the first time! I love it as a soup/stew, but I it will be even better as leftovers after it thickens up and becomes sort of like a rice casserole. Can’t wait for lunch tomorrow!

• May 29, 2013 at 11:18 pm: Amy

Best soup I’ve ever eaten. Seriously. Rich and creamy. Replace the rice with potatoes and add corn, and one would think it’s clam chowder. Thanks for this recipe!!!!

• June 2, 2013 at 6:07 am: IsaChandra

Woohoo!

• June 16, 2013 at 6:44 pm: Sferd

I really loved this soup. I made it in order to use up kale from our garden, but it will now become a favorite. My better half does not like ‘soup,’ so I added the amount of water/stock indicated–not additional. The result was nice and thick, so I told him it was a ‘stew.’ He gladly ate it 3 days in a row.

The only modifications I made were to add red pepper flakes and use brown rice. Next time, I may add some chopped serranos since we like spicy food. I appreciated the earlier comment about pre-cooking brown rice for 30 minutes which meant that I could follow the recipe as written and not have to make adjustments in the cooking time.

Great recipe, Isa! I’ve already sent it to several friends.

• July 21, 2013 at 3:55 pm: Lisa

I just made this, and it’s amazing!!! I doubled the recipe, and it filled approx. 11 pint-size jars. So I’ll be eating this all week and freezing some too!

• July 21, 2013 at 3:56 pm: Lisa

PS, I used wild rice, and it was perfect.

• July 22, 2013 at 9:50 pm: Christine

This is really delicious – and so simple. I used the Better than Bouillon no-chicken paste instead of broth, used large onion, and added more more cashews to make it more creamy. Non-vegans will love this, too!

• October 9, 2013 at 4:36 pm: Caitlin

When it gets cooler out I make a pot of soup once a week and eat it for lunch every day. I came across this recipe and read the reviews and saw people saying it was the best soup they’ve ever had and thought, “for reals??” I mean, I’ve had a lot of soup. Yeah, they weren’t wrong. This shit’s good. Real good.

• October 18, 2013 at 7:42 pm: Chris

This is one of my favorite recipes of all time. I use “better than bouillon” instead of broth and add a diced portabella mushroom cap when sauteing the onion, but other than that follow the directions as stated.

• October 19, 2013 at 4:49 pm: IsaChandra

Well….I use Better Than Bullion too!

• November 1, 2013 at 8:23 am: Chris

Hmmm… Would it make a difference if I boil the cashew nuts. Also, some white rices turn out spongier than others (absorb more or less water) so exactly what type of rice did you use?

• November 1, 2013 at 3:59 pm: IsaChandra

I probably used basmati, but any long grain white rice will do, besides super sticky ones (sushi, arborio, etc)

• November 3, 2013 at 6:30 pm: Kamila

awesome! one of the quickest I have ever made! I add frozen kale and it’s still good. I’m sure it makes a difference, but if its so tasty with frozen one, I bet its even better with fresh! cant wait for next time:) Thanks, Isa!

• November 5, 2013 at 8:59 pm: Margaret

This is my very favorite soup! I can eat it every day. My kid loves it too. I’ve used spinach instead of kale a lot of times, just because I tend to always have some in the fridge for smoothies.

• November 8, 2013 at 3:24 am: Magdalena

This looks delicious. However, my son has severe tree nut and peanut allergies. Any good subs for the cashew cream? Vegan sour cream…coconut yogurt? Any ideas would be brilliant.

• November 8, 2013 at 4:22 am: Meaghan

This is one the most delicious soups I have made, and that’s saying a lot because I make A LOT of soup! It tastes like wearing a cozy sweater. I love the addition of the cashew cream, it creates a really nice mouth feel. I happened to have red rice as well so I used that in this recipe. I used a combination of better-than-bouillon vegetable base and not-chick’n boullion cubes. Freakin’ delicious. Oh I also made some gluten free garlic breadsticks to go along with this. Thank you so much for this recipe and all of your recipes! Isa Does It is in the mail and I cannot wait. I’m a huge fan.

• November 13, 2013 at 2:05 am: Jessie

This is without a doubt the best soup ever! I think I’ve made it at least three times in the past two months. I’m obsessed! I added black rice the last time and it turned the broth purple which I love but my fiancé won’t eat it because he says it looks like “zombie vomit”. Whatever more for me. Actually I’m making it again with the black rice so I won’t have to share. ;)

• November 26, 2013 at 4:53 pm: Jackie

I adore this soup. I feel like I am getting a big fat bowl of cream based soup but with absolutely no guilt. It is sweet and savory and like I am wrapping myself in a big fuzzy blanket! Oh so satisfying. I am taking it to a Thanksgiving buffet! Thank you Isa!!!

• December 19, 2013 at 2:28 am: Bonnie

I made this last night and it was A-MAZ-ING! Serious comfort food that has a hint of clam chowder goodness to it. This was the first time I added cashews to a soup and I’m sold. Thanks, Isa!

• December 25, 2013 at 3:25 am: Mathilda

Another winner! Thank you for our Christmas Eve dinner here in warm southern California. It may have been 80 degrees here today but it’s never too warm for a creamy soup on a special evening. Cheers!

• January 4, 2014 at 12:53 am: Tish

Perfect for a snowy Janaury night and even kid approved. Thanks!

• January 5, 2014 at 9:26 pm: Susan

LOVED this soup! My first time using cashews. Definitely will make this again!!

• January 11, 2014 at 7:09 pm: Becky

Absolutely divine! Thanks for a wonderful soup. This will become a regular in our house.

• January 14, 2014 at 5:05 pm: April

Flavorful and wholesome winter soup! This will be a regular for me. Thank you!

• January 20, 2014 at 2:47 am: Red Deception

I have been making this nonstop for about a month. I think I’m in love!

• February 2, 2014 at 12:11 am: Lavawitch

This is a lovely soup. We substituted spinach and used wild rice. It’s very creamy and comforting, but it was also very tasty before we added the cream.

• March 13, 2014 at 3:13 pm: Leigh

I’ve made a lot of chickpea soups and this one is my all time favorite:

I blogged about it at the end of this post:

• March 25, 2014 at 3:59 am: Sarah

I’ve made this soup quite a few times now and it is a consistent winner with the family and guests (vegan or otherwise), too. I was compelled to comment tonight after my 5 year-old ate four bowls in one sitting and her (pickier) little sister asked for seconds! Thank you, Isa!

• April 27, 2014 at 12:23 am: FWN

Fabulous! No other changes other than using less cashew cream. I got about 1 cup/8 oz from this recipe and used half to start, and found that plenty creamy for me. Thanks for an awesome recipe!

• September 10, 2014 at 2:43 am: Janine

I loved this! I sautéed the carrots, onions, and celery for quite a while and I think that makes it a lot better, it deepens the flavour. It is quite thick and rich. Like the recipe says I am sure i will have to dilute it tomorrow. Anyway thanks this is one of my new favourites.

• September 12, 2014 at 5:21 pm: Rachel Anne

Isa, this recipe is the fucking best. I make it all the time. In fact, I’m eating some right now! I have made this at least 8 times since you’ve posted it, and realized I’ve never said thank you — so thank you!!! Can’t wait to see you in Nashville!

• October 7, 2014 at 5:53 pm: Stephanie

Just made this soup last night and it is AMAZING! It is so filling. I ate so much last night that I am still full at noon today. However, that didn’t stop me from eating another bowl for lunch! I did also have to add some extra bouillon flavoring. My husband and I have struggled for years to be vegan, but our carnivorous cravings were never satisfied, until I started trying Isa’s recipes. Now, neither of us craves meat! Her recipes are so satisfying to meat eaters and vegans alike.