March 30, 2013

Black Bean & Quinoa Soup

Total time: 40 minutes || Active time: 20 minutes

Black Bean Quinoa Soup

My mailman rarely talks to me, but he made sure to tell me that this soup smelled great when I was cooking it. So, there you go, endorsed by the US Postal Service.

The thing about this soup, is that it’s almost the only time in the world where I don’t rinse the canned beans. The whole shebang is poured right in, creating a flavorful full-bodied broth that is so monumentally satisfying with the chewy quinoa. Of course, we have our usual black bean soup suspects — cumin, oregano, bay, cilantro — and all that flavor just gets sealed into the delicious broth. It’s familiar but definitely not ordinary.

You can certainly customize to your desires; add some kale at the end, maybe even potatoes with the carrots, or corn. I would have used jalapenos if I had some on hand, too. But the red pepper flakes provide a nice heat and this soup hits the spot if you’re craving something spicy and filling, that you can throw avocado on.

Black Bean Quinoa Soup

~If you’re wondering why I add only half of the broth at first, it’s so that it boils faster, thus cooking the quinoa faster. It’s just something I do.

~If you’re wondering why I don’t add the beans with the broth at first, it’s because when soup is thick, it takes longer to cook the quinoa. So I let it cook most of the way, then toss in the remaining liquids.

~Black beans tend to be salty, so I’m not adding a specific quantity of salt here. Definitely salt to taste!

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cups vegetable broth, divided
1 24 oz can black beans
1/2 cup chopped cilantro, plus extra for garnish

For serving:
Avocado
Tortilla chips

Preheat a 4 quart pot over medium heat. Saute onion in olive oil with a pinch of salt for about 5 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and saute with the onions for a few seconds. Then add tomato, cumin, oregano and red pepper flakes and cook for a minute or so, just to break down the tomatoes a bit.

Add quinoa, carrots and bay leaves, and then pour in 2 cups of the broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Let boil for 5 minutes or so, until al dente (that’s mostly tender with a little bite.)

Add the remainder of the broth, the black beans with their cooking liquid, and the cilantro. Cover and bring to a boil, then remove the lid, lower heat to a simmer and cook for 10 more minutes or so, to cook the quinoa the rest of the way.

Taste for salt and seasonings and let sit for 10 minutes or so to allow the flavors to marry. Remove bay leaves and serve topped with crushed tortillas, avocado and cilantro.

• March 30, 2013 at 6:30 pm: janet @ the taste space

I like your tips, Isa… it is like learning the method of your culinary madness. :)

• March 30, 2013 at 6:51 pm: Mary

Dammit, Isa! Cut it out with all the yummy recipes!

. . . said no one ever.

• March 30, 2013 at 7:41 pm: luv what you do

I mean if the USPS says it’s good…
    ha ha! I’m hoping to make this soon. I’m interested to see how it is without rinsing the black beans.

• March 30, 2013 at 7:46 pm: Elizabeth

Thanks! Can’t wait to try this! Looks and sounds delicious!

• March 30, 2013 at 8:28 pm: Catherine

By sheer luck, I just realized that I have all these ingredients on hand – and I think I’ve just discovered what I’m having for dinner tonight…

Thanks for the recipe!

• March 30, 2013 at 9:20 pm: Heather

Already made! Delicious!

• March 30, 2013 at 10:04 pm: IsaChandra

What! Fast!

• March 30, 2013 at 10:39 pm: Lee ann

How did you know that I was craving black bean soup???
    Perfect timing. Thank you.

• March 31, 2013 at 2:35 am: IsaChandra

I know all.

• March 31, 2013 at 12:26 am: Kathy P

I made this tonight for dinner and it was really, really good! I didn’t have fresh cilantro on hand, but I have a commercial frozen cilantro that comes in 1/2 tsp. portions and used three of them in the soup and it was perfect! Thanks for all the great recipes and ideas!

• March 31, 2013 at 2:34 am: IsaChandra

Well, I have NEVER heard of commercial frozen cilantro, so that’s a revelation! Glad you liked it.

• March 31, 2013 at 2:04 am: CC

My girlfriend asked me to pick up avocados today, and I immediately knew what she was making. She’s a PPK addict, and has almost converted me to a vegetarian, thanks in no small part to Isa’s recipes. Btw, try adding sweet potatoes, it was delicious!

• March 31, 2013 at 2:31 am: Evan

Made this for dinner tonight and it was absolutely lovely. I’ve had black bean soups before but there was something special about this one. Followed the recipe exactly, but will definitely be experimenting next time. Thanks!

• March 31, 2013 at 2:56 am: Cathryn

Made this for dinner tonight. It was delicious! My meat eating husband devoured his bowl!!

• March 31, 2013 at 3:31 am: IsaChandra

No, you’re supposed to eat the SOUP, not the BOWL.

• March 31, 2013 at 3:20 am: Elaine

I agree with Elizabeth — can’t wait to try this

• March 31, 2013 at 4:42 am: Allie

Made this tonight. It was so so so amazing. I completely forgot to add the carrot :/ but it turned out wonderful anyway!

• March 31, 2013 at 4:59 am: Carei

Yum, this looks great! I was just thinking how nice black bean soup would be. I’ll definitely be making this once I get a chance to pick up some groceries.

• March 31, 2013 at 5:00 am: Carie

Oh, forgot to add this in my last comment: Is 24 oz of black beans ~3 cups? I only have 15 oz cans.

• March 31, 2013 at 3:08 pm: IsaChandra

Something like that. 2 cans will be fine!

• March 31, 2013 at 2:55 pm: Sarojini

Yummy! And it so happens we have some organic quinoa in the cupboard- just have to lay my hands on some black beans…

• March 31, 2013 at 4:14 pm: Karen

OMG This is going to be dinner tonight at my house.

• March 31, 2013 at 11:54 pm: Elldblu

Will canned whole tomatoes also work? I have everything else, and I usually put off recipes with tomatoes until later in the season.

• April 1, 2013 at 1:56 am: kl

Well that rocked. Only had one can o’ beans, so I tossed in a can of corn, which added a depth of texture that was pleasing. Good call on the crushed chips and avocado. I named it “Ranger Chowder” in honor of the Rangers v. Astros Opening Night game. (^_^)

• April 1, 2013 at 11:21 pm: Rebecca W.

Simmering on the stove now! It smells delicious and look how short that ingredient list is! Perfect for a weeknight.

• April 2, 2013 at 12:38 am: Ana

Cooking this now. Made 1/2 the potions since I’m cooking for one. Smells amazing.

• April 2, 2013 at 1:36 am: Birgit Davis

This was dinner tonight, another Isa HOME-RUN!!!

• April 2, 2013 at 2:04 pm: Bonnie

Whenever I am in a cooking slump I can always rely on you to pull me up out of it!! Put all this in the crockpot and can’t wait to come back to it for dinner. Thank you!!!

• April 3, 2013 at 1:05 am: Stacey

Awesome! Just finished making it for dinner. Home run with vegan teenager and carnivore hubby. A huge hit with me, the cook….super easy. Delicious, healthy and satisfying. Thank you!!!

• April 3, 2013 at 1:51 am: Cecil

Another vote for frozen cilantro! It is a lifesaver in the off-season for recipe where you don’t need that raw leafy quality but want the flavor. They sell it at Trader Joe’s, also the frozen garlic, ginger, etc – http://www.dorot.co.il/

• April 3, 2013 at 7:50 pm: vee_skwee

WOAH! Welcome to SALT TOWN! I added a couple of extra cups of water at the end to save the soup because it was just TOO SALTY – maybe my bean liquid is saltier than the brand everyone else used… or maybe less is more if you make this with stock cubes. I ALWAYS use cubes, and never prepared stock, because I’m lazy/poor.

Otherwise, this was a really nice recipe! Love that it came together so quick and cost next to nothing per serving. Thanks, Isa!

• April 3, 2013 at 11:40 pm: stacey

Brilliant. Am eating it as I type (and as the chocolate bundt cake cooks in the oven). Amazing flavors (at mercy of my pantry so used one can cannellini beans, one can black beans). The quinoa gives it a deep, chewy yum. Topped with some tofu whirred in the blender with lemon. Isa, you are the BEST. Thanks for your constant generosity in sharing your flavors with us!!!

• April 4, 2013 at 1:05 am: Devon

Subbed a 15 oz can of fire roasted tomatoes for the fresh and chunks of sweet potato for the carrot. Delicious!

• April 4, 2013 at 6:35 am: Julie

This was super good and so easy! I subbed ground New Mexico Chiles for the red pepper flakes and it was great. Looking forward to trying it as written and also playing around with other vegetables. Omni boyfriend also loved it!

• April 4, 2013 at 2:42 pm: Michelle

I made this last night and it was amazing! Even the kids gobbled it up!

• April 4, 2013 at 4:33 pm: go2green

I should like to submit the following evidence. Your Honor, it concerns an official agency of the United States Government. The Post Office….

If the post office recognizes it, it must be true. Trying it out tonight along with the tip to add only half of the broth at first.

• April 4, 2013 at 11:49 pm: Kristi

I am a black bean soup snob, and this recipe was amazing!! It could be my favorite black bean recipe!

• April 5, 2013 at 2:15 am: IsaChandra

Hoo-ray!

• April 6, 2013 at 1:09 am: Karen

In my earlier comment, I was just PLANNING to make this. When I actually DID make it, it exceeded expectations! I added chopped kale and topped it with avocado slices, as it appears in your photo. I even stole your tortilla chips on the side idea. It was awesome. Definitely a keeper.

• April 6, 2013 at 4:19 pm: Jessica

I made this last night. I am making it again tonight. I have never done that before. Yum!

• April 7, 2013 at 9:00 pm: Alessa

This soup tasted good. I used chopped parsley instead of the cilantro and it turned out great. My avocados weren’t ripe but we didn’t miss them.

Ah, I rinsed the beans and added them without any soaking liquid because we like our soups not so liquid :-)

• April 8, 2013 at 4:20 am: Amy

Made this yesterday and it was good but for some reason it seemed to be lacking some flavor and kind of bland. There was spice but not a lot of flavor like everyone else is indicating. I followed the recipe exactly except I drained the black beans out of the can because I thought it might be too salty. Will try again and not drain beans. But it was still a great hearty soup and I want to try with sweet potatoes as others suggested. Any other guesses why my batch was “bland?”

• April 8, 2013 at 5:00 am: Coriann

Yep. This was dee-lish! I love not having to rinse the beans. (Cuz I’m so lazy!) This was an excellent way to use up some of the five containers of veg. stock in my freezer. I added a whole bunch of sweet potato as well, and a lot of kale too.

Thank you, Isa for the sunday night soup inspiration!

• April 8, 2013 at 5:18 am: bri

This would be great with some limes!

• April 8, 2013 at 9:01 pm: Jo

I’m making this for the second time right now. I put in jalepenos and it’s deeelicious. Thank you for the recipe!

• April 10, 2013 at 4:03 pm: Mary

This was sooooo good! Instead of using oil. I just used vegetable broth to cook my onions. I am trying to stay away from oils and it was so good, especially w/ avocados.

• April 10, 2013 at 4:23 pm: Ashley

I’ve eaten this everyday this week for lunch. So delicious! It tastes awesome with slices of avocado (w/ salt and lime juice squeezed on) used to scoop up the soup. Thank you!!

• April 11, 2013 at 2:12 am: Amy

So now I am soaking my black beans tonight, this looks perfect for tomorrow.

• April 11, 2013 at 1:26 pm: whit

So yummy!!! Loved it

• April 12, 2013 at 5:21 am: Jeremiah

I made this the other night and it was amazing. So good I’ll probably be making it again in the next day or two. Really great recipe.

• April 13, 2013 at 7:00 pm: Cate

Damn, my black beans were salty as hell. And like a fool I didn’t do a taste test and added another bouillon cube (because I only used 1/2 of one, which according to the package is equivalent to 1 cup of chicken broth, I subbed water for the rest).

So now I have a soup salty enough to curl the hair on the saltiest of sea dogs. Still edible, just needs a lot of avocados on top (I also threw in some kale).

Next time I’m gonna monitor the saltiness for sure. Thanks Isa!

• April 16, 2013 at 6:13 pm: Anne

Made this last night – SO good. And even better today! I used low-sodium broth so the overall salt ratio was fine. I also used canned diced tomatoes cuz it’s a little early for fresh (and I live in Chicago where it’s apparently never, ever, ever going to be warm again, so I may never use fresh), and they were great. I’ll try butternut squash in there next time! Thanks as always, Isa!

• April 16, 2013 at 8:39 pm: Bex

Made this for the first time tonight. It was my first black bean soup, and will most certainly be made again in this house. Delicious! Thank you.

• April 20, 2013 at 6:00 pm: Cynthia

Where can you get a 24oz can of black beans? I don’t think I’ve ever seen one that size

• April 22, 2013 at 8:07 pm: Kips

I’m out of quinoa at the moment, but I do have green lentils and brown rice. Could I use either as a sub? If I use the lentils, maybe would I cook them ahead of time and put them in then? Thank you!

• April 24, 2013 at 1:46 am: Annabelle

I have made this twice now super yummy!! Thank you for sharing.

• April 26, 2013 at 1:29 am: Aimee

Made it for our staff, 13 people total. It was a hit and folks were asking for the recipe. I used dried beans which I soaked and cooked, and canned diced tomatoes instead of fresh, to adapt this for a large group. Thank you, Isa, for another great recipe.

• April 28, 2013 at 12:17 pm: berryme

Super easy to make and full of great flavor!

• April 29, 2013 at 3:09 pm: lizrose

This looks fantastic! Do you think I could use farro with the same results?

• April 29, 2013 at 3:41 pm: IsaChandra

Farro takes so long to cook, I’d soak it in warm water overnight before adding it.

• April 29, 2013 at 10:40 pm: Tina

I am making this tonight. So excited!

Also, I just realized that I own the Appetite for Reduction book on Kindle, just never knew there was a blog too :/ hooray!

• May 6, 2013 at 11:39 pm: Sharesa

I made this tonight for dinner. Incredible! And so simple too. Thank you for the great idea. My husband says thank you also ha ha.

• May 8, 2013 at 12:22 am: Jill

My fiance and I made this the other night and it came out super delicious! Thank you!!

• May 12, 2013 at 12:20 pm: Danny

Great recipe!
    Simple to cook, inexpensive ingredients, takes just half an hour to prepare…top!

I added a tiny bit fresh thyme and a tablespoon tomato paste (personal taste) and removed the liquid from the beans before adding to the soup…

thanks a lot for that one!

• May 14, 2013 at 12:04 am: Tina

This was fantastic. Very quick and easy.

• May 23, 2013 at 10:01 pm: heidi

Phenomenal! Thank you. I couldn’t handle keeping the bean liquid, but I did stick my hand blender in the pot a few minutes before it was done to puree some of it.

• May 25, 2013 at 10:50 pm: Nathan Strange

Just made this, and it is FABULOUS, even though I forgot the bay leaves. I’m new to the vegan world, so I was totally shocked at how great this is. AND, so easy to put together! And, cheap! Whoohoo!

• May 26, 2013 at 4:54 am: Marcela

My second time around. One word: bithcin`!!!!!!!! YUM! I ate the whole pot by myself in 2 days… shh.. ^_^

• May 26, 2013 at 3:39 pm: Diana

I made this soup for lunch today and my non-vegan husband says “Wow. This is easily the best soup you’ve ever made!” HAHA! Easy and tasty recipe. Thanks!!

• May 26, 2013 at 5:09 pm: Sophie

I just made it! It is SO GOOD! thank you! I added okra because I had to use mine, I also added sriracha instead of the red pepper flakes, and I upped the water since I did not have any canned beans and added okra. YUM!

• May 27, 2013 at 10:40 pm: Gayatri

Isa, you have the baddest collection of recipes anywhere! Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings and best wishes,
    Gayatri

• May 28, 2013 at 1:32 am: Lori

My wonderful vegan friend of mine sent me a link to your page and knew I had to make this soup when I saw it!! Just finished and had with warm naan bread and hummus. My organic black beans weren’t salty at all. I probably had more beans as I used 2 smaller cans which amount to more than 24 oz. Will be making this lots through the cool rainy winter months for sure! Can’t wait to try more of your recipes Isa :)

• May 28, 2013 at 7:34 am: Merel

Thank you for this tasty recipe. We enjoyed it a lot. I think it will be one of my ‘regulars’ from now on. Merel (The Netherlands)

• June 4, 2013 at 12:44 pm: Fenice

How could I have not commented on this recipe? This has become my go-to soup when I don’t know what to make for dinner. In fact, I make sure I always have these ingredients (or substitutions) ready to go so I can make this soup at a moment’s notice. It’s more than the sum of its parts — hearty, delicious and so easy to make.

• June 10, 2013 at 10:49 pm: Jill

It was really great. I added fresh lime, corn and put the avacado in then blended half. It was so great and healthy. Thanks again!

• June 20, 2013 at 9:00 pm: Araya

I’ve made this before and it’s delicious. It’s really great garnished with some sour cream or plain yogurt, tortilla chips, chopped cilantro, avocado and lime – yum! Making it right now!

• June 25, 2013 at 11:36 pm: Chandni

I just made this tonight for dinner. It was awesome!! Also, I know it’s supposed to be a vegan recipe, but I made it not vegan… Instead of vegetable broth, I used chicken broth, and threw in some small chicken pieces. It was really delicious! My boyfriend and I both loved it, and were full after one bowl! Thanks for the great recipe!

• June 26, 2013 at 5:43 am: John Nichols

Wow, is this great! Easy, simple, and delicious!

• July 4, 2013 at 11:55 am: nic

Well here i am searching online for a veggie black bean soup recipe. And Isa yours comes up. And i think of course dammit why didnt i look in your book on my shelf. I know what im making tonight now :D

• July 14, 2013 at 7:47 am: Muscle Rev X Reviews

Wow, amazing blog layout! How long have you been blogging
    for? you made blogging look easy. The overall look of your website is great, let
    alone the content!

• July 16, 2013 at 4:55 am: barbara

um yeah… i just ate 3 servings. mmm. maybe 4.

• August 11, 2013 at 11:23 pm: mike

Amazing…. thats all that needs to be said….. thank you

• August 31, 2013 at 6:52 pm: joe f.

Excellent. It’s now on the lunch roster.

• September 16, 2013 at 12:54 am: Elle

This is deelish

• September 16, 2013 at 9:20 pm: Lena

Just made this. It was awesome! I think I went a bit heavy on the cilantro (what measurement cups?), but otherwise it was perfect, and easy to make.

• September 21, 2013 at 3:47 am: vivzilla

This soup was really tasty but I definitely had saltiness problems. Although, I try to avoid salt in my cooking so maybe I’m a bit more sensitive. My nan who salts everything had no problem with the flavours

• September 22, 2013 at 11:08 pm: Marsha

hmmm i am not able to pin any of the recipe on here for some reason

• September 22, 2013 at 11:58 pm: IsaChandra

I know, I have to get that fixed!

• September 23, 2013 at 7:43 am: Janet

I thought you needed to rinse quinoa.

• October 3, 2013 at 2:09 am: Kayla

This is a great, easy recipe! I used an organic version of something like Rotel, instead of tomato, skipped the bay leaf, used a 15 oz can of black beans, added 1/2 can of re-fried beans (stir in before adding the black beans and second amount of vegetable broth), and added an extra cup of vegetable broth. It was really great! I love adding the tomato/chili mixture and re-fried beans to every soup and/or chili.

• October 3, 2013 at 2:17 am: Kayla

PS. There have been a lot of comments about this recipe being too salty. The recipe doesn’t call for any set amount of salt. If you’re using black beans and broth that are salted , perhaps you should omit any additional salt (just put it on your table as an option).

Otherwise, get unsalted black beans and/or low sodium vegetable broth.

• October 5, 2013 at 8:02 pm: Sara

I have a history of botching dinners I make for myself and my boyfriend. A long, sad history. But Isa to the rescue! I made this soup last night, it was totally doable, and it came out just beautifully. He LOVED it, I was proud that I made something so tasty. A big success! We ate it again for lunch today. Thank you, Isa!

• October 8, 2013 at 10:04 am: Laura

This soup is so delicious and flavorful. I’ve already made it three times and plan on making it again this week. It’s just…mmmmmm. Sometimes I get tired of leftovers, but not this. I could eat the whole pot in one sitting if I’m not careful.

• October 8, 2013 at 11:19 pm: Billy K

Recipe is simmering now. Made a few changes due to brain fart at the store, Tomatillo’s instead of tomatoes, added leeks and potato’s to thicken it up a bit.. smells AWESOME, can’t wait to dig in.
    Keep up your awesomeness Isa!

• October 10, 2013 at 8:25 pm: Missylew

Tried it, nailed it, will make it again. I used a bit more, tomatoes, quinoa and black beans but it was no problem at all. I just added more seasoning to compensate. Garnished with tortilla chips and avocado.

YYYUUUMMM!!!

• October 14, 2013 at 12:46 am: Murphy

This is my standby soup! Always delish and so easy to make! Keep the amazing recipes coming!

• October 18, 2013 at 11:24 pm: Kylie

Cooking now – adding some sweet potatoes to the bottom of my bowl :) The initial taste test was great! Thanks!

• October 20, 2013 at 7:36 am: Long Haired Hippie

Had to make a few modification or allergies and this still came out fantastic! I omitted the tomato, quinoa, and garlic then halved the broth and spices and pureed, This one is going int he book for sure.

• October 28, 2013 at 9:28 pm: Kayla

This was SO GOOD! I added a jalepeno and it is nice and hot! Perfect soup to help warm up in the chilly season. Thank you for sharing!

• November 8, 2013 at 7:37 am: Steph

How much canned tomatoes can be used in place of fresh and what type (crushed, whole or diced)? Would you put jalapeños with the onion? When would sweet potato go in – with onion or quinoa or beans? Thanks a bunch! Just bought ‘Isa Does It’:)

• November 15, 2013 at 2:14 am: Eva Huston

This soup is transcendent! i want to make it once a week now! healthy, easy and DELICIOUS- the holy grail of recipes!

• November 27, 2013 at 8:04 am: Andrea

Why oh why can’t I reach through this screen and grab a bowl of this yummy stuff! I’m so sure 5 min. from now with tech. being where it’s going…well ya know?

• December 28, 2013 at 4:02 pm: Geralyn

I was looking for a recipe to make for a friend who’s laid up with a broken ankle. He’s diabetic, so as I was doing some research I learned that quinoa is a good option for diabetics. I came across this recipe and deemed it perfect for him as he likes southwest flavors. I just made a big pot and will be putting it in single serving containers for him.

• January 4, 2014 at 6:57 pm: Turza

Great delicious flavorful soup! Good for a cold winter night yumm!

• January 7, 2014 at 1:45 am: Heather

Just had this for dinner. The whole family loved it… little kiddos included! Couple notes for anyone who cares – I added some extra broth, with organic frozen chopped kale and a sprinkle of chili powder during the last step. Also used salsa instead of fresh tomatoes which I think added some nice flavors. Unfortunately, I didn’t have avocado, but we really love to add Greek yogurt on top of chili (instead of sour cream) so we all did that. l’m definitely adding this into regular rotation!

• January 13, 2014 at 5:30 pm: Moe

Made this over the weekend and it was amazing!! thanks dude for the recipe

• January 21, 2014 at 2:11 am: Jules Salinas

With the polar vortex threatening to descend with more snow and chaos, I was looking for something warm yet meat-free and wheat-free. This won huge props from the whole family. It took everything I had not to rinse the beans and use the liquid, but I trusted you, and am glad I did. Thanks!

• January 29, 2014 at 4:44 pm: Edanie

Wow! I just made this soup and it is wonderful! I already had all of the ingredients except the cilantro. And I added some barley just because I like it in my soups.

• January 31, 2014 at 1:28 am: kate

YUM, that all :)

• February 2, 2014 at 3:29 am: Marie

Made this past week and everyone loved it. I really enjoy your recipes. Thank you, Maria

• February 2, 2014 at 3:31 am: Maria

PS I used crock pot with dry black beans. It worked perfectly, Maria

• February 16, 2014 at 8:01 am: esteban

I keep making this – it’s ridiculously good!

• February 20, 2014 at 4:06 pm: Em Hale

Yum. I accidentally added too much cumin and chili pepper. Since I had two 15 oz. cans of beans and extra broth already made I decided to make up for it by adding extra everything except seasonings. Though honestly, in the end, I probably didn’t need to add the extra quinoa and probably could have handled the zing. Now it’s a bit more stewy than soupy but still yum. Had it for breakfast this morning!

• February 22, 2014 at 2:52 am: Diane S.

Wow, this is great tasting and easy to put together! I really like the combination of simple ingredients. Thanks for the recipe! It will definitely go into my favorites.

• February 25, 2014 at 8:11 pm: Lily

Made this a few nights ago and it was AMAZING! So sad I gave all the leftovers to my in-laws. Would I be able to use different beans i.e. white/pinto/lentils or would the flavor not be the same? Thanks!

• February 28, 2014 at 1:29 am: Nancy

Isa, my 25 year old daughter repeatedly insisted that I make this. I trust her completely and doubled the recipe. It is just as terrific as she promised. I dumped in corn and some tiny yellow, buttery potatoes and topped everything off, as you suggested with tortilla chips, cilantro and diced avocado. This is fantastic. Soooo glad we have leftovers. You rock!