March 10, 2013

Mushroom Stout Pie With Potato Biscuits

Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes || Active time: 45 minutes

Mushroom Stout Pie

Oh my shamrocks, this is good. A fluffy potato biscuit soaking up a deeply savory gravy that is at once mysterious and familiar. The stout really gives this dish an allure, and two kinds of mushrooms make it meaty and earthy and just umami like nobody’s business. And ya know, for a special occasion, it’s not tooooo fussy.

I’m going to give you a few options here for the filling: one with frozen thawed tofu and one with straight-up kidney beans. I enjoyed both, with a slight preference for kidney beans only. My boyfriend, however, vastly prefered the tofu version. And he’s Scottish. And Scotland is near Ireland. So, you know, he’s kind of an authority.

I think it would also be great with some sauteed seitan or a few seitan sausages. But I’ll shut up now, and get to the recipe. Happy St. Paddy’s everyone!

UPDATED: I changed the broth to 3 cups after a few people said theirs looked a lot thinner than mine.

Mushroom Stout Pie With Potato Biscuits

~ For the tofu variation:
Omit 1/2  of the kidney beans. Freeze and thaw a 14 oz block of extra firm tofu. Press tofu to remove excess water (wrap in a kitchen towel and place a heavy book and a few cans on top, for an hour or so.) Cut 1/2 inch dice and add to the pot when you add the beans.

~ This recipe calls for “leftover mashed potatoes” but you may not have any laying around! To make about the cup called for here, microwave a russet potato, and mash with 1/4 cup unsweetened vegan milk, 2 tablespoons olive oil and a pinch of salt. Let cool, then measure and use!

~ Stout is often processed with animal products (namely, isinglass, from fish) so check out Barnivore to see if a brand is vegan-friendly or not.

~ If you don’t have a stovetop-to-oven pot, then simply make the stew, place it in a 9×13 casserole and form the biscuits into a rectangle instead of a circle. Slice and arrange them on top of the casserole and bake as directed.

~ If you’re feeling lazy, or just want a simpler weeknight meal, make the stew portion of the recipe, and leave off the biscuits. Serve with some nice crusty bread.

For the stew:
1 oz dried porcini mushrooms
3 cups vegetable broth

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, diced medium
8 oz cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1/2 lb carrots, peeled, sliced into thin half moons
1 1/4 cups stout beer
2 tablespoons tomato paste
Fresh black pepper (a lot!)
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups cooked kidney beans – 2 15 oz cans rinsed & drained [see note for tofu version]

For the biscuits:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup leftover mashed potatoes [see note on leftover mashed potatoes]
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup cold water

Make the stew:
Place porcinis in a bowl that’s large enough to contain the 4 cups vegetable broth. If the porcinis look large, tear them into bite sized pieces. Boil the vegetable broth and pour it over the porcinis. Cover with a plate to keep hot, and prep everything you need for the recipes. This will soften them and make the recipe a bit faster.

Preheat a stovetop-to-oven dutch oven over medium heat. (See notes for non-dutch oven directions.) Saute onions and a pinch of salt in oil until until translucent, 4 to 7 minutes. Add garlic, for about a minute, until fragrant.

Add sliced cremini mushroom (not the porcinis yet), celery, thyme and rosemary (crush herbs in your fingers) and saute for 5 minutes, until mushrooms release moisture and brown slightly.

Add carrots, stout, tomato paste, fresh black pepper and salt and bring to a boil. The liquid should reduce in about 3 minutes.

Add porcinis and vegetable broth, cover and bring to a full boil for 5 minutes or so, to finish cooking the porcinis.

Once porcinis are soft, in a measuring cup, mix the flour into one cup of cold water with a fork until no lumps are left.

Slowly add the water/flour to the pot, mixing well as you go. Let thicken for 5 minutes or so. Add the kidney beans, turn heat off and cover to keep warm. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 425F and make the biscuits.

Make the biscuits:
In  a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. In a separate bowl, use a fork to mix together mashed potatoes, olive oil and water. It should be very loose and mushy.

Make a well in the center of the flour and add the potato mixture. Mix with a fork until a stiff dough starts to form, then turn the dough on to a clean surface and knead a few times to smooth out. Flatten into a disc 2 inches smaller than the pot with the stew in it. Slice like a tic tac toe board into 9 pieces and arrange the pieces on top of the stew.

Bake for 20 minutes, until lightly browned on top, and bubbling up thickly around the biscuits.

Let sit for 15 minutes or so, then serve!

• March 10, 2013 at 4:46 pm: b.marye

I’m don’t know why, but I can’t get your recipes to print anymore. All I get is the introductory paragraphs. I’ve never had this problem before. Did you change something?
    This recipe looks amazing and I’d love to be able to print it.

• March 10, 2013 at 5:52 pm: IsaChandra

Aww man. You’re right! I’m going to see if there’s anyway to fix it. You probably know this but just in case, you can copy and paste the page into a text editor to print.

• March 10, 2013 at 4:50 pm: Sarah

The recipe looks great, but I never expected that moving to Ireland would give me such strong feelings about how to spell a nickname. Even so, it’s “Paddy” (short for Patrick), not “Patty” (short for Patricia). Please spread the word!

• March 10, 2013 at 5:40 pm: IsaChandra

Haha, sure thing!

• March 10, 2013 at 4:52 pm: Connie Fletcher

This sounds incredible!!! I don’t know how you do this…but ALL your recipes are incredible winners and I’m surely going to be making this and most likely eating the entire batch myself. I don’t tend to share well with others…..

• March 10, 2013 at 6:20 pm: Rebecca

My son cannot have tomato paste, sauce, etc. What would you recommend using instead?

• March 10, 2013 at 6:23 pm: Rebecca

Do you find that the biscuit recipe works well when you swap out the flour for a gluten free flour mix? Some do just fine – others don’t. Thanks!!!

• March 10, 2013 at 6:36 pm: Melanie

Hum! Beer? Idon’t like beer. Can i replace it with something else?
    Thank’s

• March 10, 2013 at 7:12 pm: Lorna

Can’t wait to make this – it looks incredible! I can’t find the oven temperature, though.

• March 10, 2013 at 7:35 pm: IsaChandra

Thanks for catching that! I’ve added it to the recipe. It’s 425 F.

• March 10, 2013 at 7:13 pm: Jackie O

We keep a sober house. What’s a good swap for stout?

• March 10, 2013 at 7:32 pm: IsaChandra

Veggie broth and a tablespoon of miso, maybe?

• March 10, 2013 at 7:25 pm: Krista

This looks amazing!! Thank you!

• March 10, 2013 at 7:33 pm: narf7

Oh that’s GOOD! This recipe transcends meridan lines and heralds back to The Old Country and images of dragon slaying (or at least Crac in the local ;) ) hearty fare and even we vegans can wield a heavy sword if we bloody well want to! ;)

• March 10, 2013 at 7:57 pm: Caroline

Hello and thank you for this wonderful sounding recipe! Quick question- if I want to just make the biscuits by themselves, should I bake for 20 min, greased pan, 400 degrees? What do you think? Thanks so much!

• March 10, 2013 at 8:36 pm: IsaChandra

I think that they’d take only 15 minutes or so without the stew. The biscuit recipe doubles well, too.

• March 10, 2013 at 8:32 pm: Scarlet

Oooohhh, my partner is brewing stout RIGHT NOW. Will definitely be making this in a few weeks!

• March 10, 2013 at 8:57 pm: Tracy F.

OMG! I saw this picture yesterday and went looking for your recipe. When I could not find it I said to myself “Don’t panic she’ll post it soon”. Thank You for posting it so quickly! I am so making it tonight!

• March 11, 2013 at 12:00 am: Claudia D.

This is exactly what my dreary, shortened Sunday needed. I had everything on hand, and this was the perfect excuse to use my home-brewed, espresso-chocolate stout. I also had fresh shiitake mushrooms I needed to use up, so I added them along with the cremini. The results were glorious. Thank you, Isa, for yet another outstanding recipe.

• March 11, 2013 at 12:59 am: Cecil

The ingredient list for the stew states : “2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided,” but in the instructions for the stew refer to the oil only once – “Saute onions and a pinch of salt in oil until until translucent.” I always cut the amount of oil I use in any recipe, so only used 1 Tbs, regardless, but I was a bit confused by the “divided” reference

• March 11, 2013 at 2:13 am: IsaChandra

Hmm! No idea why I wrote that. Fixed :)

• March 11, 2013 at 3:02 am: Cecil

Urp. I just polished off a huge bowl, and it was delicious. I did not have any potatoes handy, so I just used a basic baking powder biscuit dough for the topping. We have enough left for two more huge helpings tomorrow, and I am guessing that the flavors will have melded and mellowed such that it will be even better by then!

• March 11, 2013 at 3:15 am: Joleanna Ann

Yum! Cant wait this is definately on the table for date night! Btw found out that (my fav!) xtra stout is vegan even though thier regular is not

• March 11, 2013 at 7:40 am: Jill

Made this tonight and it was amazing! The microwaving of the potato worked great. I added some sautéed seitan which I thought went really well with the earthiness of mushrooms. The biscuits were sooo fluffy and yummy!

• March 11, 2013 at 4:22 pm: Tracy

Ohhhh this looks delicious! Can I leave the sugar out of the biscuits?

• March 11, 2013 at 5:24 pm: Abby

This sounds great. I can’t eat flour products, so I think I would top the stew with mashed potatoes for an Irish shepherd’s pie.

• March 11, 2013 at 9:31 pm: KZCakes

Okay so i have this huge St. Paddys Day meal planned, with all sorts of stuff… but now I feel like it would be incomplete without this! It looks so delicious, I don’t think I’ll be able to pass it up ;)

• March 12, 2013 at 12:09 am: Lisi

I made this today and just finished gobbling it all up! This was spectacular!!! Very hearty and satisfying. Flavors were amazing! I made the recipe as is without the tofu. Only change I made was that I halved the the recipe to serve 4 instead of 8. My non-vegan husband enjoyed it as well. Thanks for these great recipes!

• March 12, 2013 at 11:34 am: allymony

This looks wonderful – it’s great to find vegan recipes that look really warming and substantial. Will definitely make this at the weekend if the weather doesn’t warm up!

• March 12, 2013 at 9:22 pm: B

Delicious recipe! I made it tonight and scarfed a good portion of the amazing stuff, burning the roof of my mouth in the process. Definitely going to be a keeper- it’s so easy too!

• March 12, 2013 at 9:58 pm: Nicole

Just made this and it was SO good. I may have just polished off 3 servings…

• March 13, 2013 at 6:07 pm: Sophie C

this looks fabulous! would it be ok to make the filling in advance and then the potato biscuit topping the day you plan to eat it? i’m hosting a pi day potluck tomorrow night and this looks perfect, but i might not have time to do both steps after work tomorrow night…

• March 15, 2013 at 3:28 pm: IsaChandra

I think so! Just warm the stew before adding the biscuits.

• March 13, 2013 at 10:10 pm: Heather Morris

I am cooking lunch for a bunch of devotees ( hindu) who can’t eat mushrooms or drink beer. I have read the q and a on stout . Would you recommend replacing the mushrooms with seitan ?

• March 13, 2013 at 10:12 pm: Jill

FYI the print button is only printing the intro, not the recipe (at least for me).

• March 15, 2013 at 3:28 pm: IsaChandra

I know, I need to get that fixed. Thanks!

• March 13, 2013 at 11:21 pm: Elizabeth House

A local restaurant in my town of Bend, OR has this as the special tonight!!! I was going to make it this weekend, but maybe I will cave and go today- check it out: http://www.btbsbend.com/Todays%20Specials%20and%20Menu%20for%20Website.pdf

• March 15, 2013 at 3:28 pm: IsaChandra

Wow, how was it?

• March 14, 2013 at 7:07 pm: Sharon

This recipe looks delicous and I want to try it! Could you tell me how high you are suppose to heat the oven??
    Sharon

• March 14, 2013 at 11:20 pm: Thomas Cizauskas

Stout is no different than any other beer, except that about 1-5% of the grist is roasted barley. No animal product is used or needed. Only a small percentage of breweries in the world, and most of that British, use isinglass for ANY of their beers (stout or otherwise), and only when producing cask-conditioned ales. In fact, there are more wineries worldwide using egg whites to clarify their wines than there are breweries employing isinglass.

• March 15, 2013 at 3:26 pm: IsaChandra

I would listen to what the brewing companies say about using isinglass. If they say they do, then I have no reason to doubt them, and their communications are right there on Barnivore.

• March 15, 2013 at 2:08 am: Lisa

I am going to make this Sunday! Can i use my cast iron skillet for my stove top to oven pan?Its the 9 inch one.

• March 15, 2013 at 3:25 pm: IsaChandra

It should be able to fit!

• March 15, 2013 at 3:41 am: VeganCurious

Made this tonight and it came out very soupy. Very tasty but very soupy. I even added arrowroot after the flour didn’t thicken things up enough. What did I do wrong?
    The biscuits were A.Mazing! Super easy and sooooooo good!

• March 15, 2013 at 3:25 pm: IsaChandra

Oh no! It’s definitely not supposed to be soupy. I guess enough of the liquid didn’t reduce, or perhaps the heat wasn’t high enough to thicken? Let me see if anyone else had that problem, and the answer could simply be to use less liquid at first and add more if needed.

• March 15, 2013 at 4:12 pm: Paul

Baa-BAMM!! That was awesome. I made it last night and 2 of 3 kids loved it. My middle daughter went back for 4ths!!!!

• March 16, 2013 at 2:18 am: Foldered

With regard to Stout beer, I wanted to mention that (conveniently) most micro-brewed stouts are vegan and come in single 650ml bottles; I’d recommend any of the varieties from Rogue or other breweries from Oregon. Also, the use of isinglass is “traditional” (which is probably why newer breweries don’t use it). Lastly, Stout that is unfiltered/unclarified is most likely vegan because clarification is what isinglass is used for.
    Anyway, I’m going to make this tonight and am really looking forward to it.

• March 16, 2013 at 2:26 am: Brooke

Amazing!!

• March 16, 2013 at 1:20 pm: Beth

what’s a decent sized dutch oven to use? i’ve never owned one before… but this is yet ANOTHER recipe on my list that calls for it… so i’m planning to just bite the bullet and get one this afternoon. I just don’t know what size is reasonable! Thanks.

• March 16, 2013 at 3:41 pm: IsaChandra

5.5 quart is pretty standard. It’s really worth the investment, you’ll have it for life!

• March 16, 2013 at 9:22 pm: Patricia Sjöberg

Wow. I really want to try this. However, my kids will NOT eat mushrooms. Anyone got any ideas how I should replace them? Or should I just make it without them?

• March 17, 2013 at 2:37 am: IsaChandra

The mushrooms are really most of the flavoring in here. I’m not sure what they’d be like without!

• March 17, 2013 at 3:54 am: theliteratesims

Made this tonight–absolutely delicious! Mine looks exactly like the picture (except I used the 13×9 pan :-). Early St. Paddy’s Day celebration! It did take me longer than a hour, however, but I just may be a bit slow in the kitchen :-).

• March 17, 2013 at 6:13 pm: Amy

For Patricia Sjöberg & anyone else trying to feed a mushroom hater: My husband runs from mushrooms but he’s been eating them without complaint for years because I puree them. In fact he usually tells me that he love whenever I’ve secretly included in a dish.

Try sautéing the creminis on their own, and then puree with them with the leftover porcinis in a little of the veggie broth, then add where the recipe says “Add porcinis and vegetable broth, cover…”

Good luck!

• March 17, 2013 at 6:30 pm: IsaChandra

Thanks for the advice!

• March 17, 2013 at 6:34 pm: Jo Anna Farber

Heads up – I’m nearly 90 minutes into the prepping and cooking (the stew is made)- the veggie washing, peeling, measuring, opening cans, and following the instructions exactly, and am just now getting to make-the-biscuits part (no, I’m not drinking the Stout as I go! I am taking a few pix). City kitchen space, so I do need to stop to clear out the sink. I’m an experienced cook, with a basic supply of cooking utensils. This will be a much longer active time for me than 40 min.

• March 17, 2013 at 6:41 pm: IsaChandra

Sorry about that! I always time myself and then give a little extra to the prep times, accounting for the fact that I’m really fast. But the difference might be that I prep as I go. So while the onions are sautéing I prep the mushrooms, etc. I also measure out all the ingredients for other components, so while the stew is simmering, measure out the biscuit ingredients. Hopefully that helps anyone else attempting the recipe!

• March 17, 2013 at 10:22 pm: Aliki

Made this today–it was delicious! It took me about 45 minutes of prep time. I rolled the potato biscuit dough out and used a biscuit cutter to make biscuits, which I then placed across the top of the stew before baking. The only issue we had with it is that it came out very soupy! I even added some cornstarch to thicken it, but it didn’t do the trick. I think next time I will use 2 cups of broth, rather than 3. Still, even with the soupiness, it was truly delicious!

• March 18, 2013 at 1:13 am: adubbs

This was fantastic! 5 stars! It took me about an hour of prep before sticking it in the oven. My husband is also a mushroom hater- it’s the texture not the taste- so i finely dice them for recipes and it’s not a problem. We both loved it and are looking forward to our leftovers!

• March 18, 2013 at 2:35 am: IsaChandra

Ok, seems lots of people are having that issue. I will increase the times! Thanks for your feedback.

• March 18, 2013 at 1:55 am: Meg

Wow and Thank you. That is all.

• March 18, 2013 at 2:10 am: Christine

This was great! I think I used the old version that had four cups of broth vs. the updated three. I ended up putting a bit of cornstarch in to thicken it up. It was a bit soupy, but still delicious, filling and very comfort-food.

I was thinking it would be a nice one to try in the crockpot after sauteing the onion and whatnot on the stove. I was thinking maybe to try just adding potatoes to make it a stew, but the biscuits were delish.

I used button mushrooms and dried shitake. I couldn’t find the others, and I had these on hand. It was great.

I am at high altitude and decreased the baking powder to a little over 2 teaspoons (common high altitude tweak to decrease leavening agents). I decreased the temp to 400 (another high altitude adjustment). I cooked it for 25 minutes. Came out great.

• March 18, 2013 at 3:31 am: Samantha

This came out wonderful! I went the miso sub for beer route. I also did sweet potato for the biscuits…heavenly. Didn’t bother with the sugar when using sweet potato and thought they were wonderful. Nice consistency and everything. I agree with others, it is easy to eat A LOT of servings. Definitely a recipe for the rotation.

• March 18, 2013 at 3:45 am: Sarah

Made this tonight and it was great! Took me 2 hrs from start to prep everything to when it had cooled and was ready to eat. I followed the original version to use 4 cups of broth and it was a little more soupy (reference to 4 cups still in recipe instructions). My only prob was I thought I had a 5qt Dutch oven but clearly not – it was packed to the brim! In advance I placed the pot on a foil lined cookie sheet when it was ready to bake as it predictably spilled over :( thank goodness! The biscuits were delish too! Loved the flavour – thx for a great recipe for st. paddy’s day!

• March 18, 2013 at 5:52 am: Gillian

Never have I said “fuck yeah!” So many times during a meal before. Boyfriend and I both felt stoned after eating this. He waxed poetic and said that he never wanted to die just so he could experience food liked this for eternity (a carnivore, mind you) and I felt so happy and content with my place in the world that I literally cried during dinner. (We were also playing Devendra Banhart’s new album.) Completely serious, and it goes without saying, this meal is amazing.

• March 18, 2013 at 5:57 am: cin

hm. directions say “large enough to contain the 4 cups vegetable broth” but recipe says 3 cups… i went w/ 4, figuring more stew was better than less, but i was wrong. mine turned out delicious, but very soupy…

• March 18, 2013 at 5:59 am: cin

oh, and commenter above me… “Devendra Banhart’s new album”? looking it up now! that might make my meal even better!

• March 18, 2013 at 6:01 am: Gillian

Also, on a more mundane note, I used four cups of broth, and it was perfecto. But after I added the beer I let it boil down to almost nothing, perhaps that was the difference.

• March 18, 2013 at 3:39 pm: terya

Made this last night and we all loved it! Swapped the potato in the biscuits for sweet potato I had already cooked, terrific!

• March 18, 2013 at 8:26 pm: Katie

I made this for St. Paddy’s Day and while it smelled delicious the entire time, the ‘stew’ never got thick enough to hold the biscuits. The biscuit dough was very wet and I had to add a lot of extra flour in order to kneed it. Sure enough, as soon as I put the first biscuit on the pot. . . down it went! So I turned the biscuits into drop biscuits and that worked fine. All-in-all, I think we all enjoyed the biscuits the most.

• March 18, 2013 at 8:59 pm: Kay

I am certain the beer tastes great because my mother’s tortiere has beer in it is amazing. However and sadly, I have developed an alcohol intolerance and can no longer eat food w alcohol in it, even cooked. Any ideas for substitution would be appreciated!

• March 19, 2013 at 2:12 pm: Deena

I made this recipe with the original 4 cups of broth but added 1/3 cup kasha to the onion/mushroom mix. The end result was not soupy at all. Came out great! Question–why freeze, then thaw the tofu?

• March 19, 2013 at 8:39 pm: Joanne

Wonderful recipe (says me, who’s not even vegan). I chose the 1/2 kidney beans- 1/2 tofu option but decided to smoke the tofu before adding it to the stew. Then I added some smoked paprika powder and chipotle herbs to the stew for an extra smokey flavor! YUMMEE!

• March 19, 2013 at 9:10 pm: KZCakes

Literally the best thing I’ve had in a year. Thanks!

• March 19, 2013 at 11:31 pm: JennO

You are GENIUS. Seriously. When 2 teenage boys come down from their gaming to find the source of the fantastic aroma wafting around…ask for seconds…and tell mom, “You’re getting much better with these vegan recipes”…well…sniff-sniff, it makes said mom (who has been doing this vegan thing for a year now) very proud. Thanks, Isa.

• March 20, 2013 at 4:25 pm: IsaChandra

Music to my ears, thank you!

• March 22, 2013 at 12:52 am: MsM

I made this as the “dish-my-husband-and-I-can-actually-eat” addition to my parents’ traditional corned beef and cabbage St. Patrick’s Day lunch. Everyone began by taking their customary sample of the vegan dish, and then asked for seconds, thirds and even leftovers to take home! Serious success.

There’s nothing in the world I love more than changing people’s minds about what vegan food can taste like. This was a phenomenal dish, and did wonders for my extended family’s beliefs about our “crazy diet’. Thank you, thank you!

• March 22, 2013 at 4:40 pm: Cheryl

I made this last night and it was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! Thank you. Thank you. I’m making your Sloppy Jerks tonight!

• March 23, 2013 at 4:36 am: ggratton

I cooked this for St. Pat’s Day and it was delicious! Even my omnivores enjoyed it. I plan to make it again soon.

• March 23, 2013 at 8:41 pm: Jo Anna Farber

Mine also was soupier the day I made it, so I was disappointed it didn’t look like yours – I thought I didn’t let it reduce enough. It did seem thicker the next day. But the flavor was divine. It’s just the two of us, so I added more veggie broth to the leftovers plus potato cubes and turned the leftover into a really good soup for the week!

• March 24, 2013 at 5:33 pm: Missbear

This was beyond amazing, so tasty and comforting, I served mine with roast brocolli which hit the spot. Thank you for the recipes, never ever stop or I will cry.

• March 25, 2013 at 7:13 pm: marie

Can you just make the biscuits alone? If so, is there a specific/ different protocol?

m.

• March 25, 2013 at 7:33 pm: IsaChandra

Yeah. Bake at 425 F on a lightly greased baking sheet, maybe 15 minutes.

• April 1, 2013 at 1:41 pm: Julie

I made this a few days ago…kind of a late St. “Paddy’s” (saw note below for proper spelling, ha!) with steamed cabbage and it was very yummy. The leftovers were even better. The biscuits got more moist and the VERY strong stout that I used mellowed out a bit. I just love all of your recipes. I have never had a “flop” while following them. The nut butter/applesauce baking replacement is a real gem too. Thanks Isa!

• April 2, 2013 at 5:46 pm: AprilAnnie

For Rebecca whose son can’t have tomatoes, I also have a nightshade sensitivity and I substitute Umeboshi Paste (Eden brand pickled plum puree) for tomato paste in recipes. It’s quite salty so you don’t have to use quite as much as called for in a recipe. Also, she can substitute mashed sweet potato for the mashed baking potato called for in the biscuits. I’m going to make this recipe this week with the substitutions and give it a whirl. Sounds yummy!

• April 4, 2013 at 5:32 pm: IsaChandra

What a good idea!

• April 4, 2013 at 5:14 am: Katie

I can’t wait to make this. It looks so delicious! Now I just need like a cold, rainy day or something.

• April 4, 2013 at 10:56 pm: Becca

I tried this the other night, and it came out incredibly funky. Not sure if it was incredibly salty or overly bitter from the stout. Are there certain kinds of stout that work better than others for this dish?

• April 13, 2013 at 12:54 pm: Katherine

This was one of the most savory, hearty, filling vegan meals I’ve had so far. Got lots of compliments from our guests. For those who keep a dry house or don’t like beer – you can’t taste it, it just adds a savory heaviness to the gravy, and I’m sure you know but the alcohol cooks off. Some stores let you buy just one bottle at a time instead of a whole 4 or 6 pack if you don’t want the rest in the house. I used dried shiitakes instead of porcinis because that’s what was at the store – I would definitely follow the instructions to make them into smaller pieces as they end up being a little tougher to chew than the other mushrooms even after soaking a while. Thanks for this delicious recipe!

• April 17, 2013 at 3:28 am: Valerie S.

I JUST made this and I’m eating it right now. I omitted the porcinis because I didn’t have any and just put in more crimini mushrooms instead. I also swapped out brown ale for stout. It’s delicious! My only problem was that I made the mashed potato biscuit dough the day before and kept it in the fridge, so by the time I was ready to use it, it was a big sticky mess. Still tasty though! I would make this again.

• April 21, 2013 at 11:05 pm: rebecca

this is great!

• May 7, 2013 at 3:22 am: Ruth Herrin

Wonderful! Made it last night as a side to grilled veggie skewers. Although I couldn’t find all the ingredients since I live in Nepal, I was able to make enough oddball substitutions and it still ended up wonderfully! I think next time I’ll sauté the tofu first and let it cook for longer so that it soaks up more of the juices. Yum! Thanks!

• May 21, 2013 at 8:28 pm: Natasha

I really appreciate that this recipe exists. My husband and I just gave up animal products a week ago. We were both coming down with colds and just wanted something stew like, hearty, and soothing. It reminded me of this rosemary guinness pie at an irish restaurant a long time ago. I wasn’t so sure vegans had any easy to make hearty foods, with all of this still being so new to me. Thanks!
    I noticed an error in the recipe: it says 3 cups of vegetable broth in the ingredients list, but it said 4 cups in the instructions. I chose 2 cups due to some comments about it being too runny since it’s always easier to add more liquid later. It ended up needing 3, and it was the perfect consistency.
    I didn’t have a dutch oven, so I made it in a stock pot. Once I added the flour, I had to stir constantly to stop it from burning. It just barely started to stick before I noticed, I had turned away to make the biscuits. Beware to those with thin pots!
    Great recipe, but I made a mistake in transcribing the ingredients list. I used one and a half pounds of carrots! Still pretty tasty, but over the top! OOPS! I’ll remember that a half a pound is enough next time. Since I’m a mushroom lover, I might even double the mushrooms.
    I had a heck of a time finding vegan beer. I went to 3 stores and looked every stout up on barnivore, nothing. I gave in and used Guinness. I would have thought whole foods would have some. I’ll have to order online or something next time I want to make this.

• July 16, 2013 at 3:08 pm: Mel

I just made the biscuits because I had a million other ingredients for a pot/shepherds pie situation & the bf said these were “the best biscuits I’ve ever made”! I threw some fresh dill I had laying around, some garlic powder & some nooch into the potatoes before adding them to the mix. So tasty! Thanks again, Isa!

• September 8, 2013 at 8:09 am: Robert

My boyfriend and I saw this recipe and immediately fell in love with it via the pictures. Then my heart sank when I saw the stout listed as an ingredient. (Duhr, it’s not like it’s in the recipes namesake or anything.) We’re in Tennessee and our local liquor laws make buying any beer that isn’t bud light a complete nightmare outside of bars and restaurants. So I subbed it with dark roasted ground coffee and it was delicious. Sober folk should give it a try.

• September 13, 2013 at 6:23 pm: Leslie

I made this recipe last night and it was not my favourite – my husband thought it was good but I think he was being nice. I made some mistakes: I used shitake mushrooms in place of cremini and it was too mushroomy – that stinky kind of mushroomy. And I used mashed potatoes that I made right beforehand so they weren’t dried out at all, so the biscuits were super heavy and glumpy. I admittedly also put milk and butter into my mashed potatoes which probably affected it negatively…. lesson learned. And lastly I sliced my celery and carrots thinly, but too thinly. I think there is enough cooking time to have made them chunkier and more substantial. I’m sure the recipe could be great had I not used some creative flair :P

• September 22, 2013 at 8:28 pm: Victoria

This dish kicks ass….am I allowed to say that here? Anyway, I made this for football night and the hubs kept saying ” Are you sure this is vegan?” I chopped most of the mushrooms into tiny bits so my tiny people wouldn’t notice them. But I left a few in large pieces to throw them off. They picked out the bigger mushrooms and didn’t notice the smaller ones Bwaahaahaahaa!!

• September 30, 2013 at 12:34 am: Autumn

This is SUPER good. I think I picked a stout that was a little too um…. stout…. for my wimpy taste buds (it’s a bit bitter); but my Irish boyfriends says it’s amazing and I agree! Next time I might use a lighter stout, or maybe a porter.

• October 2, 2013 at 2:39 pm: Caitlin

You can do no wrong, Isa! Made this last night for the husband’s bday supper and while he’s not veg, he absolutely loved every bite! I tend to struggle when working with any sort of dough but this was a success!

• October 3, 2013 at 11:14 am: Mark Carboon

Made this tonight. I found the 4 cups of stock was perfect. I would have probably liked one more stick of celery. It was not really noticeable in the taste. Otherwise a very comfort food style dish. i could not get porcini mushrooms in Australia so I used shiitake.

• October 22, 2013 at 3:09 pm: Daria

Halfway through baking I checked on my creation and discovered to my horror that the biscuits had sunk into the stew. I fished them back up, but they sank back down and stayed there. As a result, the biscuits were heavy and gluey. We loved the dish though, and I want to make it again correctly. How do you keep the biscuits afloat?

• October 25, 2013 at 12:19 am: Lizzydgreat

Looks delish! I am considering making this for Thanksgiving and am wondering about make-ahead options for this recipe. My mother-in-law’s kitchen is a horrible kitchen to cook in, but I am guessing that the biscuits just won’t be as good reheated the next day….. I am thinking about making the stew part at home on Wednesday, and pre-mixing the dry biscuit ingredients, and then making the biscuits in my mother-in-law’s kitchen *shudder* and then putting the dough on top of reheated stew for baking. Thoughts? Suggestions?

• December 3, 2013 at 7:29 pm: Pratima

I got “fancy” with this and boiled the potatoes. Then I used the potato broth to make the veggie stock/ porcini mushroom soaking liquid. Great recipe!

• December 7, 2013 at 10:17 am: Jade Walker

I finally made this warming dish tonight and it was great! The only disappointment was finding my dog had jumped up onto the bench and ate half of it. :(. At least she loved it too. Once again, your recipes never fail.

• January 2, 2014 at 4:29 am: Random Interloper

Phenomenal. I cannot say enough good things about this recipe. I’m not vegan, but I try to do a lot of vegan cooking, and growing up as an Buckeye state, meat-and-potatoes kind of guy, this dish is every bit as delicious, hearty and satisfying as any other comfort food dish I can recall. And that is exactly what comfort food is all about: satisfaction. Thank you so much for posting this.

• January 23, 2014 at 4:45 pm: Olechka

Amazing! Mine was a bit thin – I did read your note but forgot to reduce the amount of water, but it was still excellent. I’ll be making this again soon. Thanks for the recipe!
    Vegan love from France.

• January 29, 2014 at 2:03 pm: Sperk

Isa,
    this recipe was amazing. I am Vegan and my Husband is a carnivore, so I am always looking for recipes that are reminiscent to meat filled meals. I look forward to checking out the rest of your recipes. Definitely love this site! :) The best of luck to you!

• February 12, 2014 at 8:37 pm: Sumie

Sorry I am not able to understand – could you clarify please!? Once the stew and the biscuits are made separately, do I add the biscuits to the stew and bake again? What is the purpose of the stove-oven top pan?

• February 13, 2014 at 5:31 pm: Lauren

Re: stout substitutions: I’ve found marmite/vegemite to be a good substitute for beer or stout, mixed with veggie broth.

• March 17, 2014 at 6:02 pm: Jbonzy

I don’t have russet potatoes but I do have sweet potatoes. Would this work as a sub?

• March 17, 2014 at 11:41 pm: Gina

I made this with lots and lots of substitutes because I really only had stout and potatoes on hand, but as long as you have a dark stew and biscuits on top, it is going to taste delicious. I didn’t use mushrooms at all, but I used Bragg’s and water as the broth, which has a good umami flavor. I also added a piece of kombu and took it out before baking (to add some “earthy” flavor). I used canned tomatoes instead of tomato paste and added less water. I didn’t have celery, so I added some celery seed. I subbed chickpeas for kidney beans and added a package of Upton’s chorizo seitan. Turned out great!

• March 26, 2014 at 4:18 am: zoe

Thanks to Sarah re the comment about Paddy versus Patty! I’ve been wondering this very thing for YEARS! My Irish godparents (now deceased) would be sooo pleased that I finally have it right!
    Erin go bragh!

• March 29, 2014 at 3:26 pm: Crista

I’m definitely making this on Wednesday night for a friend! Thanks for the great recipe Isa!!!

• April 11, 2014 at 12:06 am: Marcy Silveira

This one was TOO much work, though I love your other recipes….

THIS one took hours, between making mashed, soaking mushrooms, then you got to strain them for grit after another rinse thru cheesecloth….okay if you have some leftovers…. and I did NOT care for “potato-biscuit,” as the potato makes the “biscuit” seem raw; would opt for a true biscuit dough for crisp layer OR mashed potato-layer for shepard-like pie. UNPLEASING TEXTURE.

Used LESS than 3 cups broth, & still a bit soupy, less stout might help too….

STILL, it gave me ideas as to how to adapt some of these ingredients into a recipe that was more appealing to our tastebuds.

• September 11, 2014 at 5:07 pm: NBMaggie

Wowzer…and again I say unto you Wowzer! So so good…the ultimate stuff-your-face and rejoice-in-a-great meal. I can convert omnivores with this…I know I can! Trouble is do not want to share…hehehe.
    I used the full 4 cups of broth because I love my veggies and added diced peppers and new baby potatoes to the pot. I also used smoked tofu along with my own baked kidney beans. Gawd this is so yummy! In your debt as ever….