June 2, 2013

Chipotle Mac & Cheese With Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Total time: 30 minutes || Active time: 15 minutes

Chipotle Mac & Cheese

Chipotle Mac & Cheese! Okay? I probably don’t need to say anything else, you’re already rummaging through your pantry for a can of chipotles and some cashews to soak. Mac & Cheese is, after all, the ultimate comfort food. A box of macaroni might as well come with sweatpants, a cozy blanket and an entire season of Mad Men DVDs.

This version is creamy, of course, but also spicy and smoky. But what really sets it apart is how EASY it is. That’s ALL CAPS and throw in an italic EASY.

1) Boil some macaroni 2) Throw some stuff into the blender 3) Put it all together. 4) There you go. I roasted some brussel sprouts, too (as I do), but you can add any manner of veggie; steamed kale, grilled asparagus, sauteed zucchini…you get the picture. I do highly recommend the brussels, though, because they roast away effortlessly, and you are free to prepare everything else. Oh, and of course, they’re also super delicious.

The only thing that’s a little fussy is getting the seeds out of the chipotle. But follow my notes below and you shouldn’t have any problems.

Happy macking, everyone!

~ If you forgot to soak the cashews, have no fear. You can boil them for the same creamy effect, and still have this on the table in 30 minutes. Just submerge in boiling water for 15 minutes, drain, and proceed.

~ Sometimes people forget that chipotles are still HOT and can give you jalapeno hands if you touch the seeds. You can use small pieces of plastic wrap when handling. Seed them by placing one flat on the cutting board, splitting down the center with a paring knife and using that knife to scrape out the seeds. Immediately scrape the seeds into the sink and wash them away, to prevent and further contact, then place the seeded one into the blender, and repeat the process.

~ The reason we’re removing the seeds, in case you’re wondering, is that seeds are really spicy. With the seeds removed, you can use more chipotles, thus getting more smoky flavor without all the heat.

~ Update! If you’d like to make this was blanched, slivered or sliced almonds, go for it! People have been reporting back that it works well.

~ For a non-spicy version, try one roasted red pepper (homemade or from a jar) in place of the 4 chipotles.

~ I love a milder miso here. I used chickpea, but mellow white would be nice, too. The kind of miso you use will determine the saltiness, and so I suggest salting to taste before and after adding it to the macaroni.

8 oz macaroni (gluten-free, whole wheat, or any type)
1 lb brussels, quartered
1 tablespoon olive oil

For the sauce:
1 cup cashews, soaked in water for at least 2 hours
4 chipotles, seeded (see note)
1 cup vegetable broth
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
2 tablespoons miso (I used chickpea miso)
Salt to taste

Preheat the oven to 425 F for the brussels, and prepare a pot of salted water for the pasta. In the meantime, prep the brussels and make the sauce.

Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss the quartered brussel sprouts with olive oil and a dash of salt. Bake for 18 minutes, until lightly browned. No need to flip them, just let ‘em roast.

To make the sauce: Drain the cashews and place all sauce ingredients in a blender and blend away until completely smooth. Scrape down the sides with a spatula to make sure you get everything. Depending on the strength of your blender this could take from one to five minutes.

When the macaroni is tender, drain it in a colander. Immediately place it back in the pot you boiled it in and stir in the sauce. Place pot on low heat and stir for 3 minutes or so, until the sauce is thickened a bit and everything is deliciously creamy. Taste for salt, toss in the brussel sprouts and serve!

(In the pic I put some extra chipotles in, but that was just for show. Unless you like things REALLY spicy you can skip that.)

• June 2, 2013 at 9:03 pm: sophie c

omg this looks delish! I just got back from the supermarket, but I think I might have to go back out for sprouts and chipotles…

• June 2, 2013 at 9:15 pm: IsaChandra

Any veggie would be good! Do you have a roasted red pepper? That would work instead of chipotles.

• June 2, 2013 at 9:05 pm: Carolyn

When you say chipotles do you mean canned? This looks SO good!

• June 2, 2013 at 9:15 pm: IsaChandra

Yep!

• June 2, 2013 at 9:06 pm: Birgit

I will try this for sure. The pin option does not work for me :(

• June 2, 2013 at 9:15 pm: IsaChandra

I know! I need to get that fixed. Thanks for telling me, though. I’m going to just pin it manually.

• June 2, 2013 at 9:13 pm: Andrea

Don’t have miso. In another of your recipes, the Butternut Alfredo, I used Dijon mustard instead of miso and it worked great. Not sure if that’s the best option here…any thoghts?

• June 2, 2013 at 9:14 pm: IsaChandra

That might be ok! But not 2 whole Tablespoons. How about 2 teaspoons mustard plus 2 tablespoons extra nutritional yeast?

• June 2, 2013 at 9:25 pm: Catalina

This looks great. I really do need to stock up on raw cashews. I’ve had good luck subbing cashew butter for some things, but probably not a whole cups worth.

• June 2, 2013 at 9:27 pm: Mimmi

I don’t think I will be able to find canned chipotles, but I do have a chipotle paste kind of thing. Do you think this will work, and how much?

• June 2, 2013 at 9:38 pm: IsaChandra

I’d take it slow…maybe a teaspoon at a time. And test for spiciness.

• June 2, 2013 at 9:56 pm: jade T

Isa here in uk we don’t have chip-o-thingys! Are they chillis? So, I can use some chilli peppers? Or sweet red peppers, would that work?

• June 2, 2013 at 10:00 pm: Emily Catherine

You mention *not* soaking cashews, but I don’t see anything about soaking cashews. I assume that’s what the recipe calls for? Any specifics… Overnight? Warm water?

• June 2, 2013 at 10:56 pm: IsaChandra

Whoops! I will update (2 hours or up to overnight)

• June 2, 2013 at 10:03 pm: NottinghamKate

@ Jade T – ( or anyone else in the UK)if you shop at Sainsburys or Tesco you can find chipolte paste in the super fancy ingredients section. It’s less that £2 a jar. They’re easy to miss as the jars are really small. However, the paste is strong so only add a little at a time. You will be amazed at just how gorgeous this stuff is, I still seem to be putting it in everything.

• June 2, 2013 at 10:06 pm: Mandy

I am going to make this! I want to have it on record, but can’t pin it…?

• June 2, 2013 at 10:55 pm: IsaChandra

Yes, pin button is brokeded. Getting it fixed! No idea why it broke.

• June 2, 2013 at 10:17 pm: Ketty

I love fast and easy! My meals, I mean. This looks delicious. Do you think sweet white miso would work? That’s all I’ve got in the fridge.

• June 2, 2013 at 10:55 pm: IsaChandra

• June 2, 2013 at 10:29 pm: bethbr00tality

I need this in my mouth and belly. I can’t wait to have a kitchen again!!

• June 2, 2013 at 10:38 pm: Lisa

i think i might be one of the only people who doesnt really like the flavor of chipotle. i might make this without the chipotle. the combo of mac n cheese plus brussels sounds amazing though! i cant pass that up!

• June 2, 2013 at 10:55 pm: IsaChandra

I wrote this comment elsewhere (maybe I’ll add it to the notes), but you can use a roasted red pepper in place of the chipotle. From a jar is fine!

• June 2, 2013 at 10:47 pm: Michelle

AMAZING! I have everything for this already in my kitchen! Might need to make it for supper tonight….

• June 2, 2013 at 11:50 pm: Melissa

Just made this, but didn’t want to run to the store so used roasted broccoli instead of brussel sprouts and tahini/ soy sauce in place of miso and no chipotles. It turned out fabulous! The sauce is so creamy and easy. My nonvegan friend also loved it and couldn’t believe it was cashew based. Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe!

• June 2, 2013 at 11:59 pm: Jo Anna

Hello, I’ve made several of your recipes, all delicious as I’m sure this will be! I’ve never heard of chickpea miso – that must be a special-specialty item! I just looked it up and discovered it’s less salty than regular miso – thanks for introducing me to this. And thx also for the cashew boiling tip for the inevitable “oops, forgot to plan…” moment! I’ll try this recipe with grilled sprouts or cherry tomatoes on my little George Foreman as I don’t turn my oven on all summer! Ps…I use the Fasta Pasta and it’s fantastic for making up to four servings of pasta in the microwave, a real time and summer-heat saver.

• June 3, 2013 at 12:03 am: Harriet

Holy macaroni, this looks INCREDIBLE (totally worthy of all caps). Cashew-miso-macaroni sauce sounds quite possibly like the greatest concoction in existence. Cannot wait to make this.

• June 3, 2013 at 12:04 am: Carolyn

I am eating this right now! Thanks so much for this great recipe! It’s a little spicier than I expected but I absolutely love it.

• June 3, 2013 at 12:06 am: IsaChandra

Woohoo! Thanks for the quick feedback!

• June 3, 2013 at 12:42 am: Shannon @ moveeatcreate.com

Oh, Isa, this looks and sounds amazing. I wish I had a bowl in front of me right now!

• June 3, 2013 at 1:28 am: Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar

This sounds soooo good!! Love this idea!

• June 3, 2013 at 1:38 am: pumpkinmuffin

made this as soon as i saw it. so creamy and amazing and the perfect amount of spice. thanks!!!

• June 3, 2013 at 1:39 am: Joleanna Ann

wow! looks great! i’m allergic to cashews so i’m going to try raw peeled almonds instead, can’t wait, thanks so much! :)

• June 3, 2013 at 1:49 am: IsaChandra

Oooh, please let me know how it comes out with the almond sub. Thanks!

• June 3, 2013 at 1:46 am: Shauna

I made this tonight! It was good. I accidentally used one pound of cashews instead of one cup and adjusted the recipe accordingly. Oops! Leftover delicious sauce.

• June 3, 2013 at 1:47 am: Stacy

Yum! It was easy and comforting, as promised! Thank you. I added some red pepper slices in the roasting pan and only used one whole chipotle pepper to suit my tastes. We loved the roasted Brussels sprouts. Great inspiration! I will keep this one handy!

• June 3, 2013 at 2:15 am: paprikapapaya

This is dreamy. I’m making it this week! And I know it will be good because you’re The Best.

• June 3, 2013 at 2:53 am: IsaChandra

Aw, shucks.

• June 3, 2013 at 2:34 am: Jeshua

My oven broke so I might try this with Pan fried Brussels Sprouts. Also thanks for the boiling tip. I kinda suck when it comes to prep work.

• June 3, 2013 at 7:15 am: Kate

I will never get the Brussels sprouts love. They are evil. ;-) Love macaroni cheese, though!

• June 3, 2013 at 7:57 am: Regan

Just made this, following recipe to the letter. Absolutely perfect! Make sure you’ve got a good rubber spatula, ’cause you won’t want to leave ANY of this sauce in the blender. Delicious.

• June 3, 2013 at 9:55 am: Sarah

I don’t even know if Chipoles are available is new zealand! and nutritional yeast is expensive =(.

• June 3, 2013 at 12:00 pm: jade T

@nottinghamkate…. thank you! Before coming back on here tho I found some dried whole chipotle peppers on ebay. Can’t wait to try them!

• June 3, 2013 at 12:53 pm: michele

mmmmm, eyegasm, no doubt to be followed in quick succession by mouthgasm and tummygasm!

• June 3, 2013 at 1:04 pm: Kung Pao Tao

I’m allergic to nuts. Do you recommend a substitute for the cashews?

• June 3, 2013 at 3:04 pm: KZCakes

@kung pow tao, what about sunflower seeds? Blend extra long. I am making this obv. Anything spicy-vegan-mac pretty much has my attention

• June 3, 2013 at 3:16 pm: Patricia Sjöberg

We have sprouts, we have chipotles, we have macaroni, and I believe we have cashews. What could go wrong? Hopefully nothing, since I will be pressed for time this evening, and this looks quick.

• June 3, 2013 at 3:39 pm: Chrissy

So Yummy!! Probably the BEST vegan mac n’ cheese recipe I’ve tried!! I omitted the sprouts (didn’t have them) used grilled broccoli and the chipotle (don’t like spice, but I used a small dash of cayenne pepper) and it was still amazing! Can’t wait for lunch leftovers!

• June 3, 2013 at 4:23 pm: Candice

This looks AMAZING! I have chipotle in a can that I have used before. I will take Isa’s advice and add it slowly as to not burn my taste buds off. Where can I find vegan miso? All the miso I have found in Asian markets seem not to be vegan.

• June 3, 2013 at 4:37 pm: Amelia C

HI! New to the vegan cooking shindig- and never cooked w cashews. Are those raw or roasted? Salted or not?

• June 3, 2013 at 4:53 pm: IsaChandra

Just so long as they don’t say “Roasted” you’re good to go. They don’t have to say raw, but it’s ok if they do. Salted, in this case, would be fine.

• June 3, 2013 at 6:12 pm: pickledtreats

I cam here to comment about how I can’t find chipotle peppers here in the Netherlands (*cries*), but I’m glad to see the roasted red pepper option mentioned! Makes it even more pantry friendly since I never end up using the whole can of chipotles when I can get them from the states. Can’t wait to try this!

• June 3, 2013 at 6:20 pm: Kung Pao Tao

@KZCakes thanks for the sunflower suggestion. I’ll try it.

• June 3, 2013 at 6:24 pm: Debbie

Where do I find miso? I must be looking in the wrong part of the store. Would Whole Foods have it?

• June 3, 2013 at 6:41 pm: LC

This is REALLY good. Just had it for lunch. I think the miso adds such depth that I didn’t expect.

• June 3, 2013 at 7:10 pm: Ellie

I read this at lunch while planning my weekly menu, so I re-did it to include this for tonight! I never make the cashew based sauces because I cannot remember to soak, so I am so excited to try the quick-soak method tonight! Gotta love spicy miso cheesiness, especially when Brussels sprouts are involved!

• June 3, 2013 at 8:37 pm: Candice

Sorry – this might be bad form but for the sake of vegan friends helping each other out if you have nut allergies maybe try this cauliflower sauce: http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2013/05/cheesy-cauliflower-sauce.html

BTW – Found out that miso is vegan but miso soup in restaurants may not be because they add Dashi – fish product.

• June 3, 2013 at 9:06 pm: Lara

Hey there, does anyone by any chance know if i can use this miso here: http://www.amazon.de/Shinjyo-Miso-Miso-Suppenpaste-Shiro-Packung/dp/B0049NT5RS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370292999&sr=8-1&keywords=miso

instead of chickpea miso? In Germany it apparently doesn’t exist.. Another question, i am new to this whole vegan cooking (baking is no problem :D), so is the nutritional yeast absolutely necessary?
    Is there a substitute for it?
    Btw, thank you so much for the amazing recipes, it has made me going vegan so much easier :)

• June 3, 2013 at 10:48 pm: IsaChandra

Any light miso will work! And the nutritional yeast isn’t totally necessary.

• June 3, 2013 at 9:23 pm: Rebecca

I poured this over a pot of brown lentils and oven roasted broccoli. I halved the recipe, so the sauce isn’t too thick, but it is delicious! And the upside is I still have most of my can of chipotles left to make more. Yum!

• June 3, 2013 at 9:25 pm: Patricia Sjöberg

NOTHING went wrong! It turned out beautiful. The only change I made was to use only 2 chipotles instead of 4. Can you forgive me? :D The kids liked it too! (That’s always a plus; they are learning that vegan food does NOT have to be dull!)

• June 3, 2013 at 10:46 pm: IsaChandra

That’s cool! Especially if the kids don’t love spicy food.

• June 3, 2013 at 10:24 pm: Sarah

Isa…you’re amazing. This is delicious!!!:) I’m fairly new to consistent “veganism” and I’m just now starting to really get into the cooking stuff, and your website is awesome. Right now this sauce is sitting in my blender and the Brussels and noodles are waiting to get married, but I’ve never had such a good cheese sauce substitute!:) so happy! It tastes like the real thing! Thanks!!!:)

• June 3, 2013 at 10:36 pm: Tamara

Absolutely Awesome!!! Did not have miso so I used the dijon and extra yeast flakes. Also used a jalepeno from the garden. Great sauce!!!!

• June 3, 2013 at 11:00 pm: Tej

I just made this with 4 chipotles and it was way too hot. Had to keep adding water. Next time I will only use 2 peppers. Had to throw it away I couldn’t eat it. Trial and error.

• June 3, 2013 at 11:14 pm: Jennifer

I think the option of the roasted red pepper is right up my alley. It’s so pretty!

• June 4, 2013 at 12:28 am: rebeccaj

made this last night, sort of. omitted the brussels & chipotles, added extra nooch (because nutritional yeast), left out the garlic and didn’t bother to soak the cashews beyond the boiling time for my pasta. used half of it last night on whole wheat shells and it was amaze-balls, and used the rest of it tonight with steamed broccoli and soba noodles, and my omnivore fiance and “beggartarian” dog loved it! adding this recipe to the short list of cooked comfort foods, and also going to modify it (but only a little!) for raw comfort foods as well. PPK always nails it. love!!

• June 4, 2013 at 2:07 am: Sharon LuVisi

This was EXCELLENT, Isa!!! I made it for dinner for my boyfriend and myself and followed the recipe exactly. I doubled the recipe and I still have a ton of cheese sauce left. I had told my boyfriend that we were having it for leftovers tomorrow night and then he pretended not to hear me and served himself a second serving! Boy, he’s going to be awfully hungry tomorrow night when I’m eating MY portion of the leftovers! Tomorrow night ;)

• June 4, 2013 at 2:20 am: caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy

this recipe is too good to be true! mac and brussels?! YUM!

• June 4, 2013 at 2:51 am: Jessica

Made this just now and subbed kale for the Brussels (because I have a husband that’s not the biggest fan of them – just threw them in and let them cook down with the sauce) and tossed in some frozen green peas just for the hell of it too. SO GOOD!

• June 4, 2013 at 5:37 am: Angela

Gonna make this tomorrow and bake it! MMMMM can’t wait.

• June 4, 2013 at 11:57 am: KathrynC

Um… my head exploded after making this recipe last night. My friend, who has led me into the vegan world, also couldn’t believe this recipe was vegan. Yesterday was my Day 1 of vegan life–and what a way to start! Thank you so much for this!

I did adjust the recipe due to resources; our grocery did not have miso nor fresh chipotles. So, instead, I skipped the miso and we used dried chipotle jalapeno peppers–I doubled the entire recipe and still only ended up using two peppers–and this gave me the mild kick that my lame taste buds can handle and love.

I was just so impressed and can’t wait to try more recipes on here! Thank you for introducing me to my gateway drug!

• June 4, 2013 at 12:41 pm: Fenice

Made this last night and I was a little concerned about using 4 peppers, but it was just the perfect balance of creaminess and heat. Great recipe, Isa — comes together so quickly.

• June 4, 2013 at 2:02 pm: Connie Fletcher

OMG this is beyond GOOD……IT’S GREATNESS AT IT’S FINEST…..and then some. I didn’t have any canned chipotle, just the dried ones. I used two with the seeds removed, and the smokiness and flavor is I.N.C.R.E.D.I.B.L.E. Don’t be afraid. So very easy!!! You really are amazing, Miss Isa! I so am looking forward to your new book!!!!

• June 4, 2013 at 5:53 pm: IsaChandra

Woohoo, thanks!

• June 4, 2013 at 3:27 pm: Ellie

Made this for dinner last night. I loved the cashew quick-soak trick. It really came together quickly and with a minimum of dishes too (just a blender, knife, pot and measuring spoons/cups)! I don’t have a dishwasher, so that’s a big bonus on weeknights. Made with only a tiny bit of chipotle for the bf, and added a whole bunch to mine to spice it up. We both loved it, thanks, Isa! You never diappoint.

• June 4, 2013 at 4:31 pm: Barret

Holy crap. I’m making this tonight.

• June 4, 2013 at 5:28 pm: Anna Neefe

Yum! This was soo tasty! It would also be delicious with roasted broccoli!

• June 5, 2013 at 1:51 am: Angela

My husband and I just ate this for dinner and it was BOMB. We didn’t have brussels, so we steamed a bunch of kale and mixed that in. We also popped it in the oven with some breadcrumbs on top–YUM. Oh and…..it wasn’t nooch-y enough for us, so we doubled the nooch! Do I have a problem? A nooch problem?

Anyway, thank you for the recipe–wanna try it with roasted red peppers sometime. :)

• June 5, 2013 at 2:03 am: Kristin

How serendipitous that in my fridge there were chipotles in adobe left over and you posted this amazing recipe. It was excellent with steamed kale. Thanks!

• June 5, 2013 at 4:22 am: Mojo Jojo

It’s like you were reading my mind! I already made the decision to have mac n cheese today and was trying to figure out what veggies to put with it. Since I just got some fresh brussel sprouts, it seemed like the right choice. Then I logged on to theppk to check in on your mac recipe and this was front page!

And yes, I added the chipotles and it was amazing. Seriously so cheesy and wonderful and I love brussel sprouts. Plus mac n cheese is great for reheating the next day at work.

• June 5, 2013 at 4:31 am: chelsea

This was incredible. YUM!! I used all 4 chipotles (in adobo) seeded and my husband and I (who both love spicy food) thought it was the perfect amount of heat. The smoky flavor is divine. We used fresh homemade whole wheat pasta and roasted veggies that I had from the farm market- green beans, vidalias, chard, garlic & zucchini. Can’t wait to try it with brussels too. I’m sad it’s gone after 2 nights in a row of eating it. Really, SO good. Husband said “I could eat this every day all day. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner…” :) Isa for the win, as usual!

• June 5, 2013 at 4:37 pm: IsaChandra

Hoooo ray!

• June 5, 2013 at 6:30 am: Lynx

I didn’t have any chipotle so I replaced it with two jalapenos and one tbs liquid smoke. It probably didn’t turn out as awesome as yours, but still a pretty good substitue

• June 5, 2013 at 8:30 am: Justin

I couldn’t find chipotles so substituted
    1 roast red pepper along with a pinch of
    Cayenne and 1 tsp liquid smoke. Yum!

• June 5, 2013 at 9:15 am: Lori

I’m eating this now and it’s delicious! You are a genius. Thank you thank you thank you!!!

• June 5, 2013 at 4:06 pm: Cass McNish

I have never before been so excited about a meal! Isa, you’re the queen of all things veganlicious!

• June 5, 2013 at 9:21 pm: AmySue

OMG this is amazing, probably my new favourite pasta dish. To follow up what the other folks from the UK said about chipotle paste, two tablespoons of paste in place of the four chipotles is a good start.

• June 5, 2013 at 11:28 pm: Jil

This was made tonight with broccoli from the farm share instead of Brussels . Incredible !

• June 5, 2013 at 11:37 pm: Rebecca G

Seriously the best mac & cheese ever!! I made it tonight but added mushroom and kale sauteed with garlic instead of the brussels sprouts, threw the whole dish in the oven for 10 minutes topped with a wee bit of daiya and panko and I could not believe how spectacular it was! So creamy and flavorful and way better than I ever remember real mac & cheese being. This recipe is a keeper!!

• June 6, 2013 at 12:27 am: Adrienne

I absolutely loved this! Although I found it was a bit too cashew-y when it first came out of the blender. I added some turmeric, cumin chili powder and lemon juice and it waste much more tangy!

• June 6, 2013 at 12:36 am: Hope

I just made the sauce using sunflower seeds instead of cashews, and it tastes wonderful! I’m just waiting for the mac to finish cooking. Thanks Isa!

• June 6, 2013 at 12:42 am: Heather

Oh. My. God. This was so good. I just ate half the recipe because I couldn’t control myself in the face of such deliciousness. I made it with steamed kale since brussels sprouts are way out of season. It’s fast and easy and creamy and spicy and FULL OF WIN.

• June 6, 2013 at 1:11 am: Sylvia

Made this for dinner tonight. It is delicious. I did have to scale back a bit on the chipotles even after de-seeding. I guess we have a lower tolerance for spicy. Thank you so much for the recipe.

• June 6, 2013 at 2:07 am: Kimberly

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does miso paste go bad? I’ve had some for, geez, don’t even know how long!

• June 6, 2013 at 11:31 am: Pat

What a nice twist on mac n cheese. Used roasted cauliflower and kale that were in my fridge and only one unseeded chipotle. Perfection!

• June 6, 2013 at 6:37 pm: Alex P.

This looks amazing! Do you think dried, ground chipotle peppers would work? If so, any ideas how much to use?

I attempted Mac and Cheeze once when I first went vegan and it was literally so repugnant that I couldn’t even consider trying to make it again until this recipe!

• June 6, 2013 at 11:08 pm: roxmarie

Oh I have a half a batch of cashew queso in the fridge – know exactly what I’m going to do with it !!!

• June 6, 2013 at 11:12 pm: Mary Seed

Making. This. Tonight. Wow.

• June 6, 2013 at 11:30 pm: Dana @ Vanishing Veggie

holy crap! This looks sooooo amazing! i’m not sure if there is a better combination of food. drooooooool

• June 7, 2013 at 6:04 am: Michelle

I’ve made this twice already. 4 chipotles for me was just way too spicy. The 2nd time around I did one chipotle and a roasted red bell pepper, perfection! I also find that it’s really saucy so I used a pound of pasta. Now it feeds my family of 4 (I doubled the Brussels too!) going to be making this often, thank you!!!

• June 7, 2013 at 6:06 am: Michelle

Just noticed that it was always supposed to feed 4. Haha! Oops, now you know why AFR is my favorite cookbook…portion control and I are not friends.

• June 7, 2013 at 12:24 pm: Rachel

Just made this last night – seriously wow! This is amazing. Thank you so much Isa. Now I am thinking of everything else I can put this sauce on… for lunch I have your Baked Falafels from AFR with this delicious sauce on top. Even my husband who usually doesn’t do spicy loved it.
    Thank you again! Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

• June 7, 2013 at 1:20 pm: JennO

Just something about mac~n~cheese that gets our attention every time! Can’t wait to get this in the bowl. :)
    Thanks for sharing the goodness.

• June 7, 2013 at 6:54 pm: IsaChandra

Haha, so true! If I posted ONLY Mac N Cheese I’d have the most popular blog EVER.

• June 7, 2013 at 4:18 pm: Alex

I can’t wait to try this!!

• June 7, 2013 at 9:04 pm: Emily

Today I made this for the second time! The first, I didn’t use any peppers, and today I used a roasted red pepper instead of a chipotle (I can’t handle any level of spicy). And I replaced the miso for 1 tsp of dijon mustard to be soy free. This is incredible! I baked it and ate two portions, yum!

• June 8, 2013 at 12:43 am: Lauren S.

I made this tonight – unfortunately no brussel sprouts in the house but the pasta and sauce alone was delicious. Really creamy, smokey, slightly spicy – just so good. I did cook up some green beans and used them to clean up the left over sauce. So easy, so good.

• June 8, 2013 at 2:27 am: Lauren Ochoa

I made this tonight for dinner and loved it! I had to reduce the chipotle to 1 instead of 4 (my kids are wimps) but I saved some of the smokey sauce in the can and added it to my serving of Mac and cheese and it was delicious! This was my first time trying a recipe that uses cashews as a replacement for dairy and I have to admit it was very good. I’m excited to try some of the other variations in the future.

• June 8, 2013 at 2:40 am: Yael

I just made this tonight, came out amazing! I used ancho chile powder instead of the chipotle chili (I have no tolerance for spice). For the veggies I subbed power greens (swiss chard, baby kale and spinach) and grilled portobello mushrooms. YUM!

• June 8, 2013 at 12:53 pm: katy

i make my cheese sauce with, water, cashews, lemon, pimentos, nutritional yeast and sa;t to taste. its really yummy!

• June 8, 2013 at 3:42 pm: Christine

This is insanely delicious. I used only one chipotle, as my husband doesn’t like a lot of heat. Also doubled the brown rice pasta and sprouts. It was perfect for our palates.

My husband and I, both meat eaters, recently watched a scary documentary about the current disgusting meat practices in our country (there are studies being done by the industry to try out things like maggots and bacteriophages to kill microbes on the meat. *insert expletive*). Pretty sure I can never eat meat again, and recipes like this make me really hopeful that we can survive a vegan diet! No animal products for two days now and going strong! Going to try to Beet burgers tonight and the vegan sausages in a stew tomorrow night. I ‘m kind of loving this.

• June 8, 2013 at 3:59 pm: IsaChandra

Awesome! The transition can be really fun, sounds like you have a good attitude about it. You can always let me know if you have food questions! Sometimes I miss comments here but facebook is pretty reliable.

• June 8, 2013 at 4:14 pm: Monika S

Sounds so good but I recently have developed a cashew allergy. Can you use soaked almonds? Any suggestions Isa?

• June 8, 2013 at 5:03 pm: IsaChandra

Yep, someone has already done blanched almond somewhere in the comments. Maybe I’ll put it in the notes.

• June 8, 2013 at 8:50 pm: Tara

With brussels a bit out of season in the markets I frequent, I did this with sauteed cabbage and a nice pot of black beans in day-old sofrito as an accompaniment. YUM.

• June 8, 2013 at 11:00 pm: Magen

Ooooooh my this was SO much hotter than I had anticipated. I doubled the cashews and water and it still makes my mouth burn. But in a good way. I loved how creamy and smokey it was!

Great recipe, although next time I make it, I think I’ll add ONE chipotle, because I’m a wuss :)

• June 9, 2013 at 12:53 am: Lyndsey

Just made a double batch for dinner. We only had 1 lb of sprouts, so we supplemented it with roasted artichokes. It turned out so great! Then sauce was a perfect combo of creaminess and spiciness. And there’s plenty left for lunch tomorrow! :)

• June 9, 2013 at 2:06 am: Michele

Ok so I used olive oil infused with lime on the sprouts, hacho miso (I know so little about miso) which is chocolate colored, and 3 big chipotles. The sauce turned a little darker yellow than I would have liked but it was face rocking amazing!

• June 9, 2013 at 3:09 am: Matthew

Wow!!!! This was great and it couldn’t be easier to prepare. I generally “fly by the seat of my pants” in the kitchen and I enjoyed making this mac. Thanks Isa!

• June 9, 2013 at 4:49 pm: pickledtreats

Just made it and this was amazing! I used a jarred red pepper and it was the fastest vegan Mac I’ve ever made. This is going on heavy rotation in our house.

• June 10, 2013 at 9:50 pm: Jesse

Yay! I am housesitting and prepping this right now. I love chipotles, but wish I could find them organic. Any suggestions for subbing the nooch? I know nothing is a real substitute, but wondering what your thoughts are. Thanks!

• June 11, 2013 at 3:33 pm: MissBear

WAITROSE NOW STOCK CANNED CHIPOTLE!!!!!! Yay!!!! All rejoice in the UK (or just me but either way YAY!)

This has to be made an eaten, thank you Isa you utter star x

• June 11, 2013 at 8:12 pm: Krista

This was fantastic! I used 4 chipotles and yikes, this was spicey. This particular can of chipotles was much hotter than the last can I used. Next time I will check the sauce after adding 2 or 3 peppers. Still, it was so, so good!

• June 11, 2013 at 9:18 pm: Corissa

This looks so delicious! Do you think mellow white miso from Miso Master would work well in this recipe. That’s the only one available in my local grocery market.

• June 12, 2013 at 5:52 am: suzanne

Loved this mac and cheese and my husband did too. Not too spicy but nice and smoky. I did add a bit of vegan sour cream at the end as it needed some creaminess, was a bit dry after warming the sauce with the pasta. Will definitely make again.

• June 12, 2013 at 4:43 pm: Jenifer

I made this last night and it is AMAZING! My non-vegan husband even loved it. The sauce would be great on nachos or other Mexican dishes. I will definitely be making this again.

• June 13, 2013 at 1:41 am: Annabel

Wow! This sounds amazing!

• June 13, 2013 at 2:21 am: AmyP

Made this tonight and it was soooo good. It was pretty spicy though, and i’m not a spice wimp (honest). My 4-yr old wouldn’t eat it. So if you are a spice wimp, or cooking for kids, maybe take it down to 2 chipotles.

• June 13, 2013 at 6:38 pm: Carol A. S.

Hi!! I have pals who I know will easily Glutenify this for themselves, friends, and families, thanks!!

• June 14, 2013 at 12:34 am: Jeff

Made this with red peppers instead of chipotle. It was incredible. Thanks for sharing.

• June 15, 2013 at 12:45 am: Liz

Best Mac and cheese ever!

• June 15, 2013 at 3:42 am: Maddie

I made this tonight and loved it. My sauce was a bit too spicy for me, so I left the sprouts on the side to be able to alternate bites with something cooling. It was perfect that way. I can’t believe how fast this was to make!

• June 15, 2013 at 4:58 am: Justin

Made this again it was so good. I added a 1/2 tsp of turmeric and it gave it that fake Kraft dinner mac ‘n’ cheese orange colour! Very good recipe and probably much better for you!

• June 15, 2013 at 5:07 am: Justin

I found this sauce “goes a long way” I used a 500g box of macaroni and it was still quite saucy. Good value for money that you can get a lot of meals out of this too.

• June 16, 2013 at 3:15 am: JudyKatherine

The hardest part about reading this recipe is being in a condo without all my stuff (frozen raw cashews, nosh, etc)…this sounds so good and all I have is the Brussels sprouts! But it’s on my list when I am home, with gratitude for the recipe (BTW: Jade T made me laugh; I of course carried Buffalo Chipathingy sauce with us on this trip!)

• June 17, 2013 at 1:14 am: Nathan

My mouth. It is full of wonderful…

• June 18, 2013 at 1:09 am: Tanya

Amazing! I just made the cheese sauce and put it over steamed broccoli. yUM!

• June 19, 2013 at 1:37 am: Francesca

Just made this tonight – it was amazing!! Used only one seeded chipotle which gave it a great warm flavor, without being spicy. Didn’t have any miso so just used some tahini instead. This was my first experience with brussels sprouts (can you believe it?) and I loved them! I will definitely be making this on a regular basis! Thanks Isa!

• June 19, 2013 at 3:27 am: IsaChandra

Yes, another brussel convert!

• June 19, 2013 at 8:48 pm: Rose

my daughter made this for me for my b-day this past weekend. it was delicious!! thanks!

• June 20, 2013 at 12:19 am: Nicole

My wee vegan isn’t fond of hot. So, I subbed in some smoked paprika for the chipotle and she LOVED it. Thank you for such an awesome and quick mac!!

• June 20, 2013 at 1:04 am: Kim

THIS. IS. AMAZING!! A revelation!!

• June 20, 2013 at 10:07 pm: Bonnie

Just made this and since I have 4 little kids who can’t tolerate spicy and I didn’t have any roasted red peppers i used a heaping tablespoon of tomato paste…perfect!!! LOVE this recipe!!!!! You are the best, I have an easy mac and cheese recipe now with NO margarine or oil that tastes so yummy. Thanks Isa!

• June 21, 2013 at 4:01 am: Sarah Z Squirrel

Just as easy and delicious as advertised! To make it even easier I replaced with 2 whole (not seeded) leftover chipotles from a can of chipotles in adobo sauce that were in the freezer, and instead of roasted brussel sprouts, I served with reheated frozen broccoli. WILL MAKE AGAIN!

• June 21, 2013 at 11:59 pm: Joleen

I used half the amount of chipotles which was just right for me. This was delicious, quick and easy. Thanks Isa for another great recipe!

• June 24, 2013 at 1:55 am: Becca

Ahh! Thank you so much for this! My sister and I made it tonight, and even though I couldn’t blend the cashews quite enough to make them creamy (probably should’ve boiled them longer?), it was still one of the most delicious things I’ve ever cooked.

• June 24, 2013 at 10:59 am: Tina

They were absolute AMAZEBALLS. Even my non veggie friends were like: Smells like Mac’n’cheese…looks like it…tastes like it. Very good.

• June 24, 2013 at 5:32 pm: Adian P

Could I use some amount of soy sauce in place of the miso? I imagine if I buy miso it will sit there forever except for making this recipe again if my family likes it. I’d rather substitute if possible.

• June 24, 2013 at 6:53 pm: IsaChandra

I’d use 1 T and then salt to taste. But miso is an AWESOME ingredient, so consider making it a pantry staple.

• June 25, 2013 at 5:02 pm: kelly

Substituted macadamia nut butter for the cashews and proceeded to down 2 of those 4 servings in 1 sitting. Previously suspicious of that nutritional yeast business, consider me now officially converted. Thanks for the recipe!

• June 25, 2013 at 5:27 pm: IsaChandra

Hee “that nutritional yeast business”. Welcome to the club!

• June 25, 2013 at 5:27 pm: Paul

I’ve made this twice in the past 48 hours! Super good. All 3 of my kids liked it, except the brussel sprouts weren’t my son’s fave – lol!! I left out the chipotles and added Sriracha afterwards to my bowl. One thing I will add next time is a teaspoon of turmeric in an attempt to ‘orange-ify’ the color a bit. Very tasty and most triumphant vegan food!

• June 25, 2013 at 7:42 pm: Lauren

Having cooked my way through at least a couple dozen PPK/Veganomicon dishes, I know that you will never steer me wrong. So the only modification I made to this recipe was to double it. This was a completely terrible idea. I should have quadrupled it!

• June 25, 2013 at 11:11 pm: Krystle

Looks like great comfort food! I can’t wait to try it!

• June 28, 2013 at 1:35 am: Kristin @ Bake Something

Just made this for dinner for my husband and I and WOW! It was pretty amazing. Love the texture of the brussels in there. Great recipe! Will definitely be making this again. It’s hard to stop eating.

• June 28, 2013 at 5:08 pm: Mary

Isa, I have made this twice in the past week. I’m freaking addicted. I’ll never look at mac and cheese the same way again!

• June 29, 2013 at 9:02 pm: Laura

Yeah, this was delish. Now I just have to find another recipe for the rest of the can of chipotles this week! For those who are concerned with the spice level, I noticed the hottness became toned down upon reheating leftovers (that is if you have any!)

• June 30, 2013 at 6:48 am: Rachael

OMG, Brussels are my favorite veggie and I am a hot and spicy freak too. I just made this and am wolfing it down right now. This dish is fab. I didn’t have any fresh chipotles so I subbed a tablespoon of chiptle powder and it has a really nice bite.

Since going vegan, I think this is the best cheese sauce recipe I have had so I will be using it elsewhere in my cooking. Thanks much :)

• June 30, 2013 at 10:32 pm: HL

This was great!! Used penne whole wheat pasta instead of macaroni. But it still tasted awesome. Also, I am currently living in Copenhagen where brussel sprouts aren’t available other than frozen…but they still worked just fine!

• July 1, 2013 at 6:32 pm: Jennifer

The best mac and cheese ever! 6 out of 6 kids and one husband agreed, and that never happens in my home. Even though a blender malfunction left the sauce not quite as creamy and smooth as yours, it was still delicious. I doubled the recipe and had no issues…I was a little concerned about that many chipotles, but it was warm, not spicy. Thank you, Isa!!!!

• July 2, 2013 at 4:58 am: PSW

This looked so darn tasty that I had to give it try. I’m not a vegan, but more dishes like this could get me to eat that way more often. I did this sans Brussel Sprouts and think it turned out well. I like the heat so blended in four full chipotle peppers, seeds included. Wow! Love the smoky kick! Thanks for posting this recipe. Very excited to check out your books now.

• July 2, 2013 at 6:06 pm: Laurie S

I just made this last night and it ruled! I used dried chipotles because I can’t find fresh ones in Greenpoint to save my life. Definitely harder to scrap the seeds out that way, and lots more kick. I also mixed the sprouts into the sauce coating. Great recipe!

• July 2, 2013 at 8:02 pm: Laura | Peaches and Greens

I can’t believe I never noticed this recipe before. I need this in my life!

• July 3, 2013 at 7:27 am: Jessica Carrig-Groves

I just cooked this recipe (replacing chipotle with jalapeno because chipotles aren’t sold in many places in my country) and it is amazing!!! Never have I ever enjoyed mac’n’cheeze more! I will definitely be trying out more of your recipes in the future!!! Thanks!!!

• July 4, 2013 at 11:20 pm: Tina

I realized when half the ingredients were measured into the blender and the pasta water was boiling that I had neither canned chipotles nor roasted red peppers. So I used raw red peppers (3 of the little mini ones, and yes, I do realize I could have roasted them, but I’m lazy so I threw them in raw) instead. It worked out well, but I missed that chipotle kick, so I added liquid smoke and hot sauce. I kind of expected it to be a disaster. It isn’t!! Still delicious! This recipe is absolutely foolproof!!

• July 7, 2013 at 8:23 pm: Andi

I just finished making a batch of this, sans any veggies and with only one chipotle pepper. I am eating it straight from the pan. Super addictive and yummy. Hope there is enough left to share for supper (we are also having quarter pounder beet burgers). Oh, and as I’ve been cooking supper, smoky tomato lentil soup has been simmering (I make that soup constantly, to eat throughout the week for lunch). So, three of your recipes in one day…an intervention may be in order…

• July 9, 2013 at 7:27 pm: Jenny

I made this for dinner last night and almost cried it was so good! Absolutely perfect creaminess and match for the roasted Brussels sprouts. Cannot wait for the leftovers–husband loves it, too. Holy cow, already a fan for life, what is the next level?

• July 9, 2013 at 7:35 pm: Ceal W.

Just made this. Wow! It tastes amazing! Smoky and spicy! I used whole wheat macaroni and canned chipotles, which I seeded (thanks very much). It may sound weird to put in roasted brussels, but they are such a superfood, super healthy (and a favorite of mine). Just the right touch for this dish. Wonderfully, surprisingly delicious. Can’t wait for my husband to try this. This one is a keeper which I’ll double next time. Thanks very much, Isa.

• July 9, 2013 at 11:08 pm: apunc1

I made this and was too lazy to seed the chipotles so I just put in two and some of the sauce. It’s not too hot and very well spiced, but quite a bit more red than the mac in the picture. I use stewed zephyr squash and zuchinni in place of the sprouts but have them as a side instead of adding them to the dish as I was afraid they would water down the mac. I used an immersion blender and broth left over from making your homemade seiten. I served with the squash and seiten sauteed then simmer with your pantry BBQ sauce from another recipe. I wanted something smokey AND pasta and these recipes really hit the spot(s). thanks as always.

• July 10, 2013 at 9:21 pm: Kristin

YAY! Loved this!! :) And in case anyone besides me doesn’t love chipotles (not into smokey spicy – though I like both separate, go figure) AND doesn’t want roasted red pepper in their mac-n-cheese – I used a jalapeno and some paprika, and it was delish.

• July 10, 2013 at 9:42 pm: Mike

Amazing, kids loved it, as did I!!!! We did 3 peppers instead. THANKS

• July 12, 2013 at 11:20 am: Gill T

I’ve made this a couple of times now and love it. I have swapped the cashews for ground almonds which has smoothed out the texture to perfection at the same time as cutting down on effort. Know what? it doesn’t just go on pasta, it goes in sandwiches, in toasted pitta, on potato salad, you name it; it goes. Had to cut right down on the chipotle though. I’ve only managed to find dried ones in Sainsbury’s and they are HOT!

• July 14, 2013 at 8:03 am: cdorf

This is the best mac and cheese recipe I have tried. The brussel sprouts are a fantastic addition, and we have tried it with kale chips too, that was also very tasty.

• July 16, 2013 at 5:12 pm: Vicki

Great recipe! I’ve tried it using chickpeas in place of cashews and it works just as well. I’ve also used leftover sauce in sandwiches and as a dip for crisps/chips.

• July 22, 2013 at 5:39 am: Jody

Made this tonight and it was a big hit. We both loved it! This is a recipe I would make again! We used cashews and white mellow miso.

• July 22, 2013 at 4:06 pm: Amanda

The only change I made was to use 2 and half chipotles instead of 4 because I am a spice wimp! It turned out delicious and still had plenty of heat (for me).

• July 22, 2013 at 7:06 pm: Chrissy

I made this the other night, and it was amazing. Might be my new favorite vegan mac and cheese! I absolutely adore you and your recipes, thank you for making it easy to be vegan. Xoxo, C

• July 23, 2013 at 11:02 pm: Molly

This is a wonderful recipe! I’ve made it with the pasta before but today I just made the sauce to eat with chips like queso. Lovely vegan (non) junk food.

• July 25, 2013 at 4:30 am: Christina

Okay, I am a very skeptical vegan when it comes to “cheese” sauces. I do have several of your books though and swear by them (made some vegan cupcakes that were to die for yesterday from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World). I have to say that I made this tonight with only using the red pepper substitution and it blew me away. Thank you so much for taking a food I have never tried: brussel sprouts, and something I’ve been wary to make and not only making it easy, but delicious. I really appreciate what you do.

• July 28, 2013 at 4:36 pm: Saffron

This was my first vegan ‘cheeziness’ attempt and also first time using nutritional yeast. Used a combination of roasted red peppers and chipotle powder in the sauce, and since it is CSA zucchini overload season, roasted that up instead of brussells sprouts. YYYYYYUUUUUUUUUMMMMM. I do have one serious problem which is that I in weight loss mode and had to control my portion which was NOT easy.

• July 28, 2013 at 6:13 pm: Maria

i just made this using canned chpoetles and it was really good. I’m going to try toasted crumbs on top or maybe toasted walnuts next time. thanks so much.

• July 30, 2013 at 1:43 am: Kelsey

I made this with the roasted red pepper (just because that’s what I had), and it was good! I added some Sriracha to spice it up. Good flavor. I also subbed the brussels for edamame (again, because that’s what I had on hand). I would absolutely make this again, and I still want to try this with chipotles.

• August 7, 2013 at 12:44 pm: Nigel

No broth. Can I use water?

• August 7, 2013 at 4:31 pm: IsaChandra

Sure! Just add a bit of extra salt ultimately.

• August 7, 2013 at 9:49 pm: Carolyn

I have made this several times now and I love it. Tonight I was having an “I have a ton of veggies but no ambition to go to the store” moment so I made the sauce with the few cashews I had on hand, supplemented with some almonds. Also, I had no veggie broth so I just used water. I poured the sauce over caramelized onions and sautéed summer squash and, you guessed it, it’s divine. It made a simple sauté into something far more interesting. Thanks!

• August 8, 2013 at 2:39 am: Nigel

I tripled the recipe because I’m so fat

• August 10, 2013 at 1:36 am: Rach

I’ve been a skeptic about cheeze (or whatever you’d like to call it) for years. The other day I was inspired to make this and OMG super (not) cheesy, creamy goodness!!! And this is coming from a meat-a-tarian. Thank you :)

• August 10, 2013 at 4:07 pm: IsaChandra

• August 15, 2013 at 12:43 am: Anne

I made this tonight and it’s so good! Truly a plant based meal one can get excited about! I used the roasted red pepper version since I don’t like spicy food, and it turned out great.

• August 18, 2013 at 8:14 pm: Suzanne

Finally got around to making this last night. It is a delicious dish and super simple. Alas, I had no brussel sprouts so I went without and served with a side of sauteed zucchini and tomatoes. It’s a keeper recipe.

• August 21, 2013 at 4:30 am: bloom37

I made this tonight and it was so good! I only used 2 chipotles because I was worried about it being too hot, but I think next time I’ll put all 4 as it was super mild with only 2. It was so creamy and flavorful and easy. I’m not a great cook, but even my very picky boyfriend ate (and enjoyed!) this! I used kale instead of brussels because it was what I had, and it was great.
    Thanks so much for the recipe!

• August 22, 2013 at 1:36 am: marin

you’re a gem for creating this tasty recipe! it’s wonderful vegan comfort food…reminds you of macaroni and cheese but stands on its own as an original. well done :)

• August 31, 2013 at 3:13 am: Julia

This was way delicious, but didn’t taste very mac-y! Usually tomato paste and lemon juice will do the trick. I’ll make it with those and report back.

• September 1, 2013 at 2:27 pm: MissBear

You genius!!! The salty sweetness of the miso mimics cheese so well, this creamy, velvety, rib sticking concoction served with roasters broccoli and cauliflower blew my mind! Even my omni husband who hates Mac and Cheese tasted this and said it was amazing. Thank you!!!!

• September 3, 2013 at 1:54 am: Adey

do you know how much chipotle powder you would recommend as a sub?

• September 5, 2013 at 1:51 pm: Megan

We made this last night, and it was phenomenal. (OK, no surprises there. Your recipes are always the bomb diggity.)

Thanks for another yummy dinner!

• September 14, 2013 at 5:15 pm: winnie

Looks wonderful! HUGE Brussel Sprouts fan here.

And do not touch your eyes, mouth, or nose (or any other mucous membrane) after handling hot peppers. I’ve even had the vapor waft into my eyes and make them tear badly. I usually de-seed them under running water.

• September 16, 2013 at 1:19 am: Sarah

Oh Dear Lord!!! I just made this (using roasted red bell peppers instead of chipotles because a little certain someone runs screaming from anything spicy). DELICIOUS!!

Only problem? I should have doubled it. I will definitely do so the next time ;-)

• September 16, 2013 at 2:10 am: Angela

My husband and I made this after going for a run this evening, and I’m not ashamed to admit that a) we put in coconut milk instead of veg broth and b) that we ate the entire batch for dinner. This recipe is going to be a staple this fall in our house. THANKS, ISA!!!!

• September 24, 2013 at 5:28 pm: Jennifer K

Yummy, Isa! So fast, easy and comforting. Thanks again!

• October 11, 2013 at 12:37 pm: Emma

This looks so tasty!

I’d like to make it but I can’t eat cashews – do you think macadamia nuts (yes, I’m in Australia) would work? They are a very mild white nut. If not, I’ll try it with sunflower seeds!

I’m also not sure I’ll be able to find chipotles in Aus (which is a pity cos they sound delicious!) so I’m thinking of doing the roasted red pepper (do you mean a whole red capsicum roasted and peeled?) and adding a little cayenne pepper for spice.

• October 11, 2013 at 5:00 pm: IsaChandra

I always find macadamias too sweet, so I would suggest sunflowers.

• October 13, 2013 at 5:54 pm: Sprouthead

I tried this recipe last night and it was phenomenal!!!! My taste buds were in ecstasy! Even my non-vegan and highly skeptical boyfriend loved it and went back for seconds and thirds! I subbed white miso in place of chickpea miso because I didn’t have any chickpea miso and it still turned out amazing! Thanks Isa for coming up with this incredible recipe!

• October 22, 2013 at 2:54 am: LeslieJ

Isa, thank you for making opening my world to the wonders of Brussels sprouts.
    You posted this months ago, but I just saw this recipe today and knew I had to try it.
    Very good – even the skeptics in the family liked this.
    BTW: Only found chipotle peppers in a jar, so used a couple of those (that was enough as those babies are hot!) and it worked out well.

• October 22, 2013 at 6:36 pm: Miriam

You can totally cheat with ajvar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajvar) in order to get that smoky bell pepper flavor with just the amount of spiciness that you need. Plus, no jalapeno hands! Ajvar is readily available in most supermarkets here in Germany and often comes in both a mild and a hot variation. It also has the benefit of adding some body to your recipe (more sauce, some fruitiness to balance the cheesy flavor). I didn’t have any miso on hand, so I simply used more yeast flakes. I find that cashew butter also works in case you do not want to blend the soaked cashews yourself.
    Instead of the brussels I used broccoli (but just because I had it on hand).
    Anyway, just wanted to add these changes in a comment because someone might consider them useful. :)

• October 28, 2013 at 2:14 pm: Jen

I made this for lunch with my mom yesterday – and we both loved it. I followed the recipe exactly, except for using broccoli instead of brussel sprouts. My mom & were laughing because we had to take a sip of cold water between each bite. We didn’t want to stop eating it, even though it was too spicy. (and we know water isn’t what you’re supposed to have when you have something too spicy – but it helped) :) Thanks Isa for another amazing recipe!

• November 1, 2013 at 2:31 am: Rebekah

I made this with crumbled smoky maple tempeh on top. The brussels are so perfect with the cheesy spicy smokiness. And because I think I’m a super bad a$$ because I’m in the southwest US, I used 7 reconstituted dried chipotles from the farmer’s market. It was AMAZING although next time I’ll calm down and use 4, so it’s more of comfort food and less… exciting. Seriously, cooking, eating, and sharing this recipe just made me HAPPY.

FYI: I soaked the dried chipotles for 1 hour and reserved the liquid for the sauce, scraped the seeds out with a fork. Still, if I didn’t have a very fancy blender, I may have had to soak them overnight.

• November 6, 2013 at 5:47 pm: Joke (Holland)

Wow! This was delicious!! I made it with cashews & almonds. I didn’t have chipotles so I used jalapenos and a pinch of liquid smoke. Also e few sundried tomatos. It was awesome!! And thanks for the cookbook Isa Does It. I made several recipes and they are all delicious!!

• November 18, 2013 at 3:34 am: Jess

I’m soooo excited to make this! I realized I got roasted, unsalted whole cashews. Will this work or should I wait to find raw? Also, I don’t have the miso stuff you mentioned, is there an alternative to that? Thanks!

• December 4, 2013 at 5:29 pm: ElaineD

I really would like to try this recipe but my husband is uber allergic to tree nuts (strangely peanuts and pine nuts are safe). Do you have any suggestions on possible cashew substitutions?

• December 9, 2013 at 1:01 am: Julie

This sauce is delicious over roasted garnet yams.

• December 10, 2013 at 5:06 am: Shannon

Just tried this recipe and it is SO GOOD! I am still fairly new to cooking, and found the recipe super easy. I used Braggs Liquid Aminos in the place of the miso, and it worked fine. Also, I dont care for spicy, so I only used 2 chipotles instead of 4. It is the perfect amount of spicy for me. Thank you so much for sharing this with us! I will definitely be having this meal on the regular!

• December 19, 2013 at 5:20 am: Denise

I adore this mac and cheese recipe, and make it all the time! Just made a bowl with this mac and cheese, creamy vegan coleslaw and bbq soy curls. Heaven!

• January 6, 2014 at 9:42 pm: Nicole B.

I made this a little while ago and I just didn’t like it. I’ve made several of your recipes and thoroughly enjoyed every single on of them, so I put this failure on myself. I think my problem was my miso. I don’t have a problem with all miso (I’ve enjoyed it in the past), but whatever I picked up at the store isn’t working for me. There were so many kinds, I was overwhelmed. I’d just buy them all and try them until I find one that I like…if only they weren’t so expensive. I would love to flavor profile guide to all the different varieties!

• January 16, 2014 at 5:21 am: Kristan

This was fantastic! Usually have to tweak veeg-cheese recipes but it came out exactly right. (I always add a little extra yeast though.) we popped it back in the oven to get a little more crispy at the very end and I think I’ll add a little panko on top next time. And perfectly spicy, don’t need to add sriracha or pepper flakes. We ground some fresh black pepper on to serve. Total winner!

• January 16, 2014 at 10:42 pm: Lincoln

Hi, Isa. A friend of mine made your recipe last night and posted it on Facebook and it looked AMAZING, so I’m making it tonight! Do you happen to have the nutritional information for this recipe on hand? I can totally figure it out myself, but if you already have it, it would save me the trouble. Looking forward to chowing down on this for dinner! I’ll let you know how it goes!

• January 21, 2014 at 7:10 pm: Dionne

This sauce is awesome! I am already thinking of different ways to use it . It’s very addicting!

• January 22, 2014 at 12:13 am: Tara Fitz

just made this and it was delicious! i couldn’t find chipotles so i used roasted red peppers. it was really yummy and the roasted brussel sprouts made for a perfect combo. thanks for all of the awesome recipes, Isa!!

• February 1, 2014 at 7:18 pm: Charlotte

Sorry, I’m new to this, but when you say Miso do you mean the Miso concentrate or the powder you can buy?
    Also, when you say you can fast boil the cashews do you mean you can place them in boiling water and continue to boil for 15 minutes or place them in the water and turn it off?

• February 14, 2014 at 10:14 am: Tom

This has become a staple for me. I use soy sauce in place of miso because I don’t have it on hand. Pretty fawkin tasty. I still wonder what it would be like with miso instead.

• February 17, 2014 at 4:10 am: Nichole

I just made this tonight, but I didn’t have any miso, so I took the advice and used 2 tsp mustard and 2 tbsp nutritional yeast. I also went to the only grocery store in town that doesn’t carry chipotle chiles so I just seasoned the sauce with Cajun seasoning. The end result was excellent. I look forward to making it as written!

• February 21, 2014 at 12:57 am: Abigail A

I just made this!! Wow! SO easy and SOOOOO AWESOME!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

• February 25, 2014 at 3:09 am: Heidi Efner

I wanted to make this tonight but I didn’t have any chipotles, macaroni, or Brussels sprouts. So I made my special drink with vodka, gin and olives and stared really hard at the picture. It still tasted AMAZING.

• March 17, 2014 at 1:16 am: Angeline

Excellent!! I made half a recipe since it is just for me and only used 1 pepper when I saw the size of them. It was perfect-my lips tingle but don’t have the burning in the back of my throat. The sauce was amazing-very velvety and satisfying! I am not vegan-not even completely vegetarian but am trying to get my cholesterol down and eat more healthy food. This will now be my “go to” mac and cheese-may even try taking the sauce and cooked pasta to work in separate containers and use the microwave to combine and warm.

• March 27, 2014 at 11:45 am: interior design Singapore

Microspot Interiors is a interior design application
    that is quite common amid Mac users because of it is simplicity and the price tag which
    is just a fraction of the price tag of most skilled style
    software. Pharaohs were buried in tombs that were extravagantly decorated.
    Interior design should be selected with the guidance of professionals.

• April 6, 2014 at 11:21 pm: Michelle Y

This tastes fantastic.

• April 12, 2014 at 3:45 pm: Deb

Thanks sooo much for this recipe! I will be cooking it (again) later today and I just wanted to thank you for a completely savory and delish recipe. I make it GF and this is in my permanent rotation. I just love your creativity.

• April 20, 2014 at 2:10 am: Ophelia

SO GOOD!

• May 5, 2014 at 2:59 pm: MissBear

Not feeling well today, tucked up in bed with my kitties, what should I eat? I know I will make this awesome mac and cheese for the thousandth time. Never fails to amaze me, never ever, so creamy and tasty and cheesy and wonderful and yet kind to the planet. Thank you again, you are a star x

• May 11, 2014 at 10:46 am: misch mac

Brilliant as usual. We don’t really get Chipotle here in South Africa so we replaced it with Cayene Pepper and Smoked Paprika. Yum!

• May 27, 2014 at 4:07 am: The Miracle Cure kevin richardson reviews

Some tips for oil pulling with coconut oil (or any other oils)
    include: If you find that 20 minutes is too
    long, you can break it up into 10 minute or even 5
    minute increments. Only recently has it come to the hands of individuals,
    who can now do it from the comfort of their place.

Nonetheless, what we are stating is that our product is formulated based on common sense.

• July 16, 2014 at 12:38 am: Jess

This recipe is AMAZING. I had never tried making a cashew based sauce before, or yeast flakes for that matter, it was surprisingly easy and SO TASTY!!!

• July 17, 2014 at 4:03 pm: Caitlin

I made this recipe when you first posted it and I was super new to using cashews and stressed about this and was super-overwhelmed. I’ve now made 120 of your Isa Does It recipes and feel like a cashew pro and I look back at this recipe and realize how very simple it is. Learning is cool, folks.

• July 29, 2014 at 10:35 pm: danakscully64

I just finished a serving of this and it was AMAZING. I’m really finicky about vegan mac and cheese, I’ve made quite a few bad recipes. I’m addicted to cashew puree/creaminess/goodness (made your blueberry cheesecake recipe a few days ago with it), so I figured this was a safe choice. I only used 2 chipotles, it was the perfect amount of spice. I also used white miso (1 tablespoon). I will definitely make this again and I’ve already shared pictures of the results on FB and Insta with a link to this page :)

• August 15, 2014 at 8:26 pm: Samuel

What’s Going down i’m new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve discovered It absolutely useful and it has
    helped me out loads. I am hoping to give a contribution &
    help different customers like its aided me.

Great job.

• August 17, 2014 at 9:01 pm: Sarah Burns

This is awesome! Because I’m a whimp when it comes to spicy, I took your advice and used a few roasted red peppers AND and dash if smoked paprika! Top notch dish, I love brussels as much as you do so keep those recipes coming! Brussel Sprout Fried rice, still the best as of right now. Hehe!