November 3, 2013

Stuffed Thanksgiving Burger

Makes 6 burgers
Total time: 1 hour || Active time: 30 minutes

Stuffed Thanksgiving Burger

There are plenty of ideas out there for what to do with Thanksgiving leftovers, and those creations are some of my favorites in the world. But what if it’s the beginning of November and you don’t yet have any Thanksgiving leftovers? Well, how about I transport you to the day after Thanksgiving; except without all those dishes, without all the travel and without all of those classic “jokes” where your great-uncle twice removed tries to make you eat turkeys?

Enter the from-scratch Thanksgiving Burger. It’s an unholy carbfest: think stuffing that’s stuffed in a roll! Lentils provide that proteiny burgerness, mushrooms add that earthy umaminess and hazelnuts aren’t only deliciously festive here, but they add great texture, too. And of course, you’ve got to have cranberries. Here, they are dried and studded throughout the burger like ruby jewels, providing little bursts of tart sweetness. All of the stuffing stand-bys — your celery, sage and thyme — are accounted for, too. You’re basically eating a beautiful Bob Ross landscape of the prettiest autumn foliage you ever did see. But in burger form. And believe me, you will give thanks with every bite!

Stuffed Thanksgiving BUrger

~Canned lentils work super great here. But if you don’t have any, make sure to account for the time it will take to boil some up.

~I used kale as my green, but it wasn’t completely untouched. I rubbed it with a little olive oil and salt. I think, though, that arugula (plain and unadultereated) would be a fantastic green to use instead.

~Mayo was my spread of choice for sure. I think ketchup would be too overpowering with these babies.

~I can see some food processors not doing the best job of chopping hazelnuts. If yours is such a machine, chop them by hand, using a clean kitchen towel over the cutting board and your chef’s knife. PS don’t bother peeling the hazelnuts. The skin doesn’t disturb anything here.

2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Small yellow onion, diced medium
2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
8 oz cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
Fresh black pepper
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dry rubbed sage
4 cups baguette sliced into cubes
1 cup vegetable broth

1/2 cup hazelnuts [see note above]
I cup cooked lentils (brown or green)
3/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup dried cranberries

To serve:
6 sourdough rolls
Kale [or your preferred greens, see note above]
Vegan mayo (storebought or homemade)

Preheat a large, heavy bottomed pan non-stick (preferably cast iron) over medium high heat. Saute onion in one tablespoon olive oil for about 3 minutes with a pinch of salt, until translucent. Add mushroom, celery, garlic, black pepper, thyme and sage and saute for 7 to 10 minutes, until mushrooms have released most of their moisture.

Add baguette cubes, and drizzle in the other tablespoon of oil. Toss bread to coat in the mixture and cook for 5 minutes or so, tossing often, to lightly brown the bread.

Add the vegetable broth and use your spatula to really mush the bread up in the broth, so that it absorbs all the liquid and resembles stuffing. Let it cook about 3 more minutes, to sop up all the flavor.

While everything is cooking in the pan, place hazelnuts in food processor and pulse until they are chopped (not pureed.) Pieces should range from itty bitty to pea sized. Transfer nuts to a large mixing bowl. (No need to clean it out for the next step.)

Add the lentils to the food processor and puree until relatively smooth. Now add the bread mixture from the pan into the processor and pulse 10 to 15 times. You want the mixture to hold together, but there should still be mushroom and celery visible, it shouldn’t be a puree.

Transfer this to the mixing bowl with the hazelnuts. Add in the cranberries and salt. The cranberries like to stick together so make sure you separate them. Combine thoroughly, using your hands if need be, to form a firm but still malleable mixture. Taste for salt and pepper.

Let the mixture cool completely. Refrigerate for 15 minutes or so, just to help it firm up and let the flavors meld a bit.

Rinse out your cast iron, and preheat on medium-high. Roll the burgers into 6 equal sized tennis balls. Wash your hands often and keep them a little damp during this process for that the burgers don’t stick to your hands. Flatten into 1 1/2 inch thick patties.

Cook in a thin layer of oil for about 4 minutes on each side. Serve on buns with greens and mayo. Die of happiness!

• November 3, 2013 at 9:43 pm: adey

2 ribs celery, thinly sliced

You really have to stop this celery thing, it is the nastiest semi-edible plant in the world.

x

• November 3, 2013 at 9:51 pm: IsaChandra

Haha, I became a convert in my old age!

• November 3, 2013 at 9:46 pm: Lauren

Whoa. I might whip these up for myself on Thanksgiving to make all the turkey-eaters jealous!

• November 3, 2013 at 9:49 pm: Donnita

Can you imagine these without the roll covered in mushroom gravy!!!

• November 3, 2013 at 9:51 pm: Emma

Can the mixture be left in the refrigerator for longer before shaping and frying, to accommodate typical Thanksgiving mayhem?

• November 3, 2013 at 9:52 pm: IsaChandra

Yep!

• November 3, 2013 at 9:55 pm: mandarjones

I’m going to try this opened faced with mashed taters and mushroom gravy. The whole freaking dinner on a sammy. Why yes, please and thank you

• November 3, 2013 at 10:23 pm: IsaChandra

You are a hero.

• November 3, 2013 at 10:23 pm: Rebecca

These look fantastic, can’t wait to make them. I am a celery convert too, didn’t like it as a child, but now I even juice it!

• November 3, 2013 at 10:26 pm: Kelly

These look incredible and will be perfect for my family’s soup and sandwich themed Thanksgiving celebration! Any possible substitution for the mushrooms? Or do you think it’s possible my mushroom hating husband won’t even realize they are there?

• November 3, 2013 at 10:37 pm: Amysmallz

Any idea for a nut substitution? Nut/ seed allergy sufferer…

• November 3, 2013 at 10:39 pm: IsaChandra

The first thing that came to mind was edamame. But you could totally also leave out the nuts and be a-ok.

• November 3, 2013 at 11:24 pm: Amanda B

I’m so excited about this! Mere hours ago I got “Veganomicon” as an engagement gift. Life is good.

• November 3, 2013 at 11:26 pm: Sara

Since going vegan, I’ve been a tad Thanksgiving-averse, but what a GREAT recipe to make anyone love the holiday again! Can’t wait to make this, and I’m SO not waiting for the end of November!

• November 3, 2013 at 11:32 pm: The Peace Patch

Crazydeliciousness! All the savory goodness of T-day magically swirled into humble burgers…you are the vegan sorcerer’s apprentice! Cranberries kinda give me the willies when their cooked into things though so I might try olives or…capers? Chopped artichoke hearts?
    These would be yumful next to a breakfast scramble too. Many thanks for the recipe! :)

• November 4, 2013 at 12:55 am: IsaChandra

I would try something sweet. Like raisins. Just give it a shot!

• November 3, 2013 at 11:40 pm: Amey

I am so super excited to make these!!! The hazelnuts and the dried cranberries really seal the deal!

• November 4, 2013 at 12:21 am: Callie

I too am curious if there’s a recommendation for a mushroom substitute? I am a sad veggie mama who cannot tolerate mushrooms. :/

• November 4, 2013 at 12:27 am: Holley

Seriously, Isa? This is one of the most amazing-looking recipes I’ve ever seen. You’re really interfering with my plans to only cook from “Isa Does It” for the next month.

• November 4, 2013 at 12:55 am: IsaChandra

OK imma delete this.

• November 4, 2013 at 1:29 am: Liz

These look amazing! I’m not allergic to nuts but don’t want to use hazelnuts because I’ll buy them for this recipe and they won’t get used again until 2017. So is there another nut that would be a good sub?

• November 4, 2013 at 5:08 am: IsaChandra

Can you just buy exactly enough from the bulkbins? If not, then pecans or walnuts.

• November 4, 2013 at 4:44 am: Rachel

I have always wanted to eat a Bob Ross painting!

• November 4, 2013 at 11:17 am: Ceara @ Ceara's Kitchen

OMG! This LOOKS AMAZING!! I can’t wait to make this! Stuffing is hands down my favourite part of Thanksgiving!! :D

• November 4, 2013 at 1:39 pm: Eric

Question – what would be your recommendation on baking time if I shaped this into a turkey meatloaf?

• November 4, 2013 at 5:19 pm: IsaChandra

Hmm. I would worry it would dry out, so perhaps use tinfoil at first, bake at 350 F, and uncover after 20 minutes just to brown the outside a bit. Brush with oil, too.

• November 4, 2013 at 5:56 pm: Yodamom

This looks wonderful ! Thank you for sharing it

• November 4, 2013 at 6:13 pm: Robyn

Oh yum!

• November 4, 2013 at 7:58 pm: Lindsay

This is sexy… I cant wait for it to be in my meowth

• November 4, 2013 at 9:26 pm: Bassethound

• November 4, 2013 at 10:35 pm: Jori

Can anyone think of a way to make these patties gluten free??? I NEED to make these for Thanksgiving to take to my Mother in laws house because I need to have something to eat :)

• November 5, 2013 at 12:20 am: IsaChandra

I meaaaannnnnn….you’re favorite gluten-free bread?

• November 5, 2013 at 7:19 am: Katherine

Yeahhhhh so I ate like half the burger mixture before any made it into the pan. Delicious.

• November 5, 2013 at 6:22 pm: Ellie

I want this… Reminds me of the Tofurkey-stuffing-cranberry-mashed potato-veganaise sandwiches I make after Thanksgiving. But it sounds less messy… Thanks!

• November 6, 2013 at 3:48 am: Tracy

This recipe has wonderful flavors! I made the recipe into a pilaf by substituting rice for the bread and not blending anything but the hazelnuts. It was great. Thanks Isa!

• November 6, 2013 at 6:25 pm: Kat

Thanks, Isa. I’ll surely die of happiness. Can’t even wait to ! Got one last package of Lentilles du Puy who crave to be at my side.

• November 6, 2013 at 9:17 pm: Melanie Parker

I haven’t found a gluten free bread that is vegan. They all have egg in them. :(

• November 6, 2013 at 11:00 pm: andrea

Whoa! I just found my Christmas meal! You are a genius!

• November 7, 2013 at 4:42 am: Eli

Schär (not 100% sure of the spelling) makes a gluten free bread that is also egg free. Their dinner rolls would work nicely as “hamburger” buns, also gluten and egg free.

• November 7, 2013 at 4:56 am: Ruchama

We have a Thanksgiving guest who can’t eat mushrooms; so I’m saving this for another occasion. Super Bowl comes to mind. Never to early to think up something for that occasion.

• November 7, 2013 at 6:45 pm: Joel

can you freeze those patties?

• November 8, 2013 at 1:45 pm: VeganMarthaStewart

I used to spend hours on this website when my husband was deployed last fall. The last few months I’ve been busy and forgotten about it, but then I saw your new book and returned to see what had transpired on the blog… LOVE your videos, so inspiring. LOVE this recipe, will probably make them for my voyage to the deep south for my husband’s family thanksgiving (where people will attempt to feed me green beans cooked with bacon, because the meat isn’t visible so its obviously vegan). Your blog and website helped fill the lonely deployment months, and once again I am so grateful to find such a great community online with amazing, mouth watering recipes from someone so comfortable in their skin.

• November 8, 2013 at 9:29 pm: Nikki

I ate this sans bun because it was too much with the bun. But OMG SO SO SO GOOD! Topped it off with an orange cranberry glaze and served with a side of chilli coconut sweet potatoes. MMMmm!!!

• November 9, 2013 at 1:56 pm: Kelly Caiazzo

So great! I just bought veganomicon, two weeks after transitioning to a vegan household for our family of four, and it is a lifesaver. Thank you SO MUCH for all you’ve done to make vegan cooking accessible to more and more people. To know that I don’t need to give up baking, or figure it all out on my own, has made this transition a fun and exciting challenge rather than a depressing one. How can I feel deprived when you’re here showing me how much I CAN eat and leaving me no time to even think about the things I gave up? Who cares about cheese when they have your amazing recipes that taste so good and don’t ever make you feel sick after you eat them… because they’re plant based? I’m very grateful – thank you :)

• November 10, 2013 at 12:48 pm: Connie Fletcher

I am so freaking excited to make this!!! OMG!! I, too, was only going to cook from Isa Does It, but I guess this really is still OK…..after all, it’s still Isa!!!! You are BRILLIANT!!!! And my own personal superhero!!!! OK, I’ll share…………..if i have to………..

• November 11, 2013 at 7:10 am: katy

I’m not sure why but I couldn’t keep the burgers from falling apart in a sticky break-y mess while i tried to cook them =( We ate them as kinda…a pile of brown mush. And it was a delicious pile of brown mush, if nothing else.

• November 11, 2013 at 11:29 pm: Shickok

Do you think these could be grilled? I’m going camping on Thanksgiving.

• November 12, 2013 at 12:12 am: Dana

We made a batch of these last night, and they were quite delicious – the flavor is even similar to Caadian Thanksgiving, so that’s reassuring. We fared better than another commenter, as ours stayed together in the pan, however, they were still quite mushy and as such doesn’t really qualify as a burger if you ask me. Is there some way to fix that, Isa? The only change we made was we used whole grain bread rather than baguettes, because the wife is all about whole grains only and our shops are limited here. Maybe if we toast the bread first? I also had a couple for lunch today and they were a little more mushy after the mixture sat in the fridge overnight, but I sorta expected that. Maybe baking the patties instead? I liked dry stuffing when I still ate it.

• November 12, 2013 at 5:19 am: Tania

Made these tonight-fantastic! We happened to have some Hickory Farms Cranberry Mustard-it was perfect for these!
    Thank you, Isa.

• November 12, 2013 at 5:13 pm: Leigh

This was insanely good. Blogged about it today:

• November 12, 2013 at 8:06 pm: Lauren

Just made these yummy burgers for lunch and a pre-thanksgiving trial. You can bet I will be making them again! I loved the flavors!

Whassup with the comment here dissin’ celery??

• November 13, 2013 at 8:26 am: Laurie

So hood! Made these twice in the last week!

• November 13, 2013 at 8:27 am: Laurie

So good! Made these twice in the last week!

• November 13, 2013 at 8:52 pm: MDG

Are the four cups of baguettes a pushed down 4 cups, or a loose 4 cups?

• November 13, 2013 at 11:28 pm: Kris

Fantabulous! Made these and served with your mushroom gravy and mashed potatoes. Thanksgiving heaven! My carnivorous husband was stealing food off my plate! I froze the extras and have been defrosting as needed. Works great!

• November 14, 2013 at 3:42 am: Tiana Gustafson

Thank you so much for this amazing looking recipe! I love healthy recipes and I will look forward to trying it out and sharing it with my followers at TianaGustafson.com. As Arnold says “I’ll be back” :) Thanks again!

• November 14, 2013 at 10:16 am: Veganopoulous

I made these for my dinner tonight, yum! I’ve never made stuffing before and I’m still not crazy about celery and sage but these burgers were great. But I’m still wearing a sad face cos Isa isn’t coming to Australia for a book tour stopover. We have ANZAC biscuits down here!

• November 14, 2013 at 11:45 pm: Rhianna

I had never even thought of transforming a roast into a finger food, but it looks and sounds delicious! My brother, however, HATES mushrooms; he will refuse to eat anything that has even a single mushroom in it. What may I use instead, or may I leave it out? Walnuts? Seitan?

• November 16, 2013 at 9:03 pm: Lope

My gosh this looks SO amazing! I always make lentils for the holidays, I’ll have to put some aside for these. Wow!

• November 16, 2013 at 10:55 pm: Heather

YUMMMMMM my kids love burgers! This has to bet the best thing I have ever seen. We always made crazy leftover sandwiches growing up. I am so excited.

• November 17, 2013 at 11:24 pm: Grace

These bad boys are cooking in my cast iron pan as we speak! The only thing is that the mixture is a bit liquid-ey. Any suggestions? Maybe let the mushrooms cook down more?

Xo,
    Grace

• November 17, 2013 at 11:30 pm: Saffron

Little tears of joy are forming in my eyes just looking at this…..

• November 18, 2013 at 12:08 am: Jill

I got 9 burgers so I guess yours are huge. And, I agree, why all the celery hate? It’s crunchy.

• November 18, 2013 at 3:14 am: Stacey

I made these for dinner tonight and they were amazing! I am bringing the plant-based, whole-food portion for everyone to try this Thanksgiving and these will be the star. Thank you for all your recipes. Everything has been great.

• November 18, 2013 at 4:01 am: Sam

I made these tonight, with no variation to the recipe, and I could not get my patties to stay together when cooking. Like a few of the other people who left comments, I’m left with a delicious pile of mush. Any suggestions as to what could have gone wrong?

• November 18, 2013 at 4:33 am: IsaChandra

Oh we don’t want mush! Add more bread, and keep cooking until it comes together.

• November 18, 2013 at 2:27 pm: Kathryn

So excited to try these – and I have a half bag of kale left over from the Potato and Kale enchiladas (thank you Veganomicon) I just made.

• November 19, 2013 at 9:32 pm: Lucy

These look so good Isa! I’m not American but decided I am going to celebrate thanksgiving this year and make these burgers! Love from London xx

• November 20, 2013 at 5:36 pm: shawna

I CANNOT FIND THE AMOUNT OF LENTILS TO USE IN THE RECIPE AND AM WRITING OUT MY GROCERY LIST. HELP!

• November 20, 2013 at 5:37 pm: shawna

Such an airhead! Found the amount!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• November 20, 2013 at 9:33 pm: Nicole B.

I made these stuffing burgers last week (they were amazing), and I got to thinking, how would these work minus the burger and served just as stuffing? I would probably leave out the second half of the recipe (lentils, cranberries, nuts), but do you think it would dry out? Should I add a little more broth before throwing the delicious mush into the oven?

• November 21, 2013 at 9:03 pm: Leyla

Super silly question….would the recipe be ruined without garlic and onions? I’d love to make them, but a family member has severe allergies to them!

• November 21, 2013 at 9:46 pm: Mich

How necessary are the nuts for the flavor and texture? Any substitutions, or should I just leave them out?

• November 22, 2013 at 5:17 am: Amey

Oh damn, Isa! These are so good. I am making them (again!!) for a ppk potluck, but I can’t stop eating the goo! It is SO good!

• November 23, 2013 at 12:51 pm: Alicia

What are baguette cubes? Is that bread? What area in the store would I find them at?

• November 23, 2013 at 2:40 pm: Lisa

I can’t find cremini mushrooms,what type can be used in its place?i really want to make these for Thanksgiving and serve with gravy over them:))

• November 23, 2013 at 4:40 pm: Kris

I am planning to serve this as a loaf at Thanksgiving, but am giving it a trial run this weekend. Can you suggest a glaze to top the loaf with or a sauce to serve it with? I am soooo excited! I baked some gluten-free french bread last night to use in the recipe, and I am off to the farmers market now to grab some celery!

• November 23, 2013 at 5:40 pm: Michelle

Im going to shape them into more of an oblong shape and serve with homemade creamy cranberry bbq sauce, Topped with greens. NOM.

• November 24, 2013 at 1:36 am: Kyle

@2:40 Lisa…I believe Cremini mushrooms are sold as baby (porto)bello mushrooms.

• November 24, 2013 at 10:18 pm: Christa

These tasted absolutely delicious, but as others said, mine came out super moist and mushy. They did not hold their burger shape in the pan, and we ate them as balls of mush. I used extra bread and only 1/2 the vegetable broth, so I don’t know how to fix it. Unfortunately, we didn’t know to take the hazelnuts out of the shells before they went in the blender so none of us could really eat them anyway.

• November 24, 2013 at 11:10 pm: Lisa

@Kyle,Thankyou!!

• November 25, 2013 at 3:16 am: Stef

love it!

• November 25, 2013 at 5:39 am: T. Sombrero

We were looking for a stuffing substitute and gave these a trial run today. Awesome! Isa, you’re my new favorite web goddess and can’t wait to cook more of your stuff. Really nice flavors here. I used chanterelles because they’re great and plentiful in the PNW this time of year. I threw the kale into the pan when frying the patties to wilt it beforehand, and drizzled a dash of walnut oil over the top. They were softer than I would like, but I should add that I’m not precise with measurements, I go by texture. Here’s what I’ll do next time- a little more bread, and more of the crusty bits; leave the nuts on the chunky side, and maybe give them a little bread crumb coating to crust it up.

• November 26, 2013 at 3:07 am: Nico

Made these yesterday with wholegrain bread instead of a baguette, and they wouldn’t bind together. Ended up pressing the mixture into a greased muffin tin and baking them, but they still wouldn’t quite stick together. Subsequently I’ll be eating these with gravy and mashed potatoes – so still awesome, but not burgers =/

• November 26, 2013 at 4:49 pm: Jules

Would it be alright to use ground sage instead of dry rubbed? I’m thinking between 1/4-1/2 tsp is the right conversion?

• November 27, 2013 at 1:42 am: IsaChandra

Yeah sounds good!

• November 27, 2013 at 12:58 am: Becky L Duncan

I took this to my family’s early Thanksgiving as my main dish. I 86ed the bun and smothered it in gravy. So good and so easy. I over pureed a bit and will leave it more chunky next time. Still amazing! Will have a repeat on proper Thanksgiving soon. Yay, Isa!

• November 27, 2013 at 8:53 pm: M

I don’t see a printer friendly button on here.
    How can I print this great recipe without
    printing like 20 pages?

• November 27, 2013 at 10:12 pm: Rita

Made this last nite for me and my wife… came out purrrfect. Thanksgiving in our mouths. Isa we love you.

• November 28, 2013 at 2:04 am: rachey

just adding my vote to the “made it, loved it” box. Thanks Isa!

• November 29, 2013 at 3:32 am: Kel

These are incredible! I made them a day in advance and opted to bake them since I was skeptical that I’d be able to keep them in one piece if I tried to flip them in a skillet. They came out perfectly, reheated beautifully and were delicious served without the bun with a little cranberry sauce on top. My first vegan Thanksgiving was a success! Thank you Isa!

• November 29, 2013 at 3:04 pm: Jasmine

This is amazing! Better than I could have dreamed. WOW!

• November 29, 2013 at 6:18 pm: Maeve

Just made these for a potluck and the omnis loved them! Asked for the recipe! Total success and going into my regular rotation. Time to be thankful all year round! My heart is full of gratitude for your awesome recipes Isa!

• November 30, 2013 at 4:11 pm: daphne

What’s the nutritional value?

• November 30, 2013 at 6:51 pm: Caitlin

I made these patties for thanksgiving with mushroom gravy. So delicious! Thank you for the recipe! They were enjoyed by vegans and non vegans with great cheer!!

• November 30, 2013 at 9:50 pm: Annie

I made these today because I went to a friend’s for Thanksgiving and didn’t have any leftovers. I used canned lentils, walnuts, and stale ciabatta. They were absolutely delicious and exactly what I craved. Thanks for all you do, Isa – you have really redefined vegan cooking and eating!

• December 1, 2013 at 5:37 am: little piglet

i could eat my fingers while eating something like this…

• December 1, 2013 at 9:14 pm: Sarah

These have been dubbed “probably the most delicious thing I’ve ever eaten” by my carnivorous boyfriend. We followed the recipe (except the celery) and ate them open faced on ciabatta with arugula and cranberry chutney. Thank you!!

• December 1, 2013 at 11:38 pm: Christel

Just made these for a house full of kids. They were a hit! Rarely do we find something that everyone can enjoy. We all thank you!

• December 2, 2013 at 5:45 pm: Christa @ Edible Balance

Wow, I’m drooling here!! Any chance these would work without the bread to make it grainfree??

• December 3, 2013 at 11:24 pm: Betty

I made these for my vegan daughter for Thanksgiving and we all thought it was delicious. Followed the recipe exactly. Served without the bun as part of the meal.

• December 4, 2013 at 1:32 am: Janet

I made these burgers for Thanksgiving Day and served them with your mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy. They were so outstanding! The recipe made 16 smaller patties. I only had 2 left over. A good amount of prep work, but boy are they worth it! I will definitely make these again. The vegan mashed potatoes were also the best! Thanks Isa for such good ideas and wonderful food. Love your videos.

• December 5, 2013 at 9:38 pm: Kira

I made these for thanksgiving! I added some breadcrumbs to make them a bit less mushy and baked them for a SUPER long time at 375, flipping them every 15 minutes until they were browned and firm. They were fantastic on a plate, on a bun, on a salad, etc. Everyone requested the recipe!

• December 12, 2013 at 1:39 am: Jen

This recipe was amazing! Even the turkey eaters loved it! Thanks!!!!

• December 20, 2013 at 3:21 pm: Laura

Hey I want to make these for Christmas! These look so amazing and I’ve been hearing about them this whole season everywhere and I’ve just been needing a reason to justify spending the money on the hazelnuts and Christmas is a good reason!

I have a quick cooking question regarding the recipe. Do you think I could use fresh cranberries in some way rather than dried? I’m not big on dried raisins or cranberries and I think fresh ones would make it nice. Do you think that’d work and if so should I just put like halved berries into the mix the same amount as the dried ones as is? should I boil them a bit first? Thanks.

Sorry if that was already asked, there were too many comments to read through.

I’ll probably post and link and talk about this recipe on my blog before and after I make it. :)

• December 21, 2013 at 3:15 pm: Paula

I made these with gluten free bread and they were fantastic! It tasted like Thanksgiving in my mouth….loved them so much we are making them for the holidays (along with some recipes from my new Isa Does It cookbook).

• January 1, 2014 at 9:51 pm: Lauren Carruth

Just made up a double batch, my second time making these. Love, love, and love.

• January 3, 2014 at 9:21 pm: Esther J

I made these the week after Thanksgiving when I realized the small pan of dressing (“stuffing” for non-Southerners) I made was not sufficient for my craving, and I called them my after-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving croquettes. Very, very yummy; they took me back to Thanksgiving dinner with every bite (akin to Anton Ego from Ratatouille :o) ).

I sub’d half the baguette for cornbread (because I like cornbread stuffing) and used pecans instead of hazelnuts. I didn’t dare put this carb avalanche in between bread, so I simply served it over mixed greens. Delicious!

Thank you very much for this and Happy New Year!

• January 5, 2014 at 5:18 pm: Melissa

Jesus this looks good! Making ASAP, thanks! :)

• January 5, 2014 at 5:59 pm: Robin

I would rate these about a 5 in terms of inspiration but only a 3.5 out of 5 in taste when made according to recipe because while they had a fairly good flavor they were still somewhat lacking which is unusual for PPK recipes. Tonight I will make gravy to top them for added flavor. For the future, here are my notes:

Be generous with onion/garlic, sage/thyme plus add some tamari along with salt. Measure out black pepper to at least 1/4 tsp. Investigate various poultry seasoning blends to discover other herbs to add to the mix. Maybe rosemary? Dash of Worcestershire sauce?

These came together quite easily as burgers and here are my notes to making these work:

Start by cutting up four slices of bread which should equal enough for recipe and leave them in a bowl to get stale. Preferably overnight. I used Alvarado St. Bakery’s “California Style Complete Protein’. Four slices gave me four cups.

I got 5 burgers which means each one has less than one slice of bread in it. Not as carb heavy as originally thought.

Cook 1/2 cup lentils in 1/5 c. H2O for 30-40 minutes. This should yield slightly more than 1 c. cooked lentils.

Smack 1/2 c. whatever nuts you’re using in a ziplock bag with hammer. I used pecans.

Saute veggies, add seasonings and nuts. Then add bread, then broth. Bread will begin to brown and you can mush it up in the large pan with a fork just fine. Liquid will be absorbed into bread and it does break down/pull together into stuffing.

I only processed lentils and not stuffing. Mixed them together in a large bowl & stuck in freezer to cool faster. I would probably process lentils less next time by possibly just using potato masher on them in a bowl, thereby avoiding food processor entirely.

NEXT STEP IS HOW I MAKE ALMOST ALL MY VEGGIE BURGERS>>>>>>

Have a plate of preferred flour next to your bowl where you’ve divided mixture into portions and rolled into equal sized balls. Drop one ball at a time into flour and roll around while compressing it. Use as much or as little flour as necessary. Then squash down into burger. Tidy up edges while compressing inward. Use spatula to fish out of flour and onto sheet to await cooking or onto a square of foil to wrap up for later use.

These held together as burgers just fine and could easily be baked as well as fried. Looking forward to making these again and experimenting on boosting overall flavor.

• January 6, 2014 at 1:11 am: Chris Zaccharia

I can make my own burger in the house! lol. This is the best thing I love in searching different blogs coz I can always learn new things :)

• January 6, 2014 at 6:57 am: Labanca

Let me try it with the exact steps you have given me…. Thanks

• January 11, 2014 at 2:27 am: MonCheri

Seriously unbelievable! I just made these, but instead of as a sandwich, i hooked it up with your mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy. I went and ate two plates and then i died of happiness :)

• January 24, 2014 at 4:54 pm: Molly

Late to the party…I finally put ISA DOES IT aside long enough to make these. They were yummy! I deleted the oil and baked them at 375, 15 minutes for each side. We had them with mushroom gravy, etc. but they would also be good in buns. Of course I’m very fond of stuffing sandwiches for a post Thanksgiving indulgence………..

• January 25, 2014 at 7:22 pm: noel

I think i found my vegan meatball base! Dead of happiness.

• February 3, 2014 at 10:56 pm: Katie Koteen

Wow! This was amazing! Thanks so much for the recipe!

• February 13, 2014 at 1:55 am: A. Capala

Just saw this recipe. What a great idea. It looks delish!! I will try this next year.
    Thanks,

• February 19, 2014 at 3:42 am: Ta

My friend and I made these tonight and they turned out delicious and perfect!

• August 22, 2014 at 9:55 am: Las Vegas Kitchen Appliance Parts

Howdy outstanding website! Does rnning a bllog such as this require a masskve amount work?
    I’ve virtually noo knowledge of coding but I had been hoping to start my own log inn the
    nesar future. Anyways, if you have any ideas or techniques for new blog owners please share.
    I know this is off subject however I just had
    to ask. Kudos!

• September 29, 2014 at 11:59 pm: tanya

finally got around to making them and they were AMAZING!!!!

i subbed sunflower seeds for the hazelnuts (due to allergy) and also added apple to give even more fall-y-ness– sooo good!

A tip for anyone interested: I used an ice cream scoop to scoop out the mix (after overnight refrigeration) onto a cookie sheet with parchment paper and cooking spray and then used wax paper to smoosh them into patties! Worked out perfect and no messy club hand!!!

so good I can’t wait til lunch tomorrow for leftovers!!!

• September 30, 2014 at 12:03 am: tanya

additional side note– I left the bowl on the table while I went to put the trays in the oven and caught my cat licking the sides… so additional approval from General Tso Kitten…