January 16, 2014

Black Eyed Pea Curry With Collards & Potatoes

Total time: 45 minutes || Active time: 45 minutes

Black eyed pea curry

I totally meant to put this up before New Years, because….black eyed peas! But dang have I been busy. Or lazy? I forget which. Blazy? Oh well, it’s never too late for black eyed peas, right? I’ll tell you some of the upcoming projects I’ve been working on in an upcoming post, but for now let’s talk about this curry.

Chunky red potatoes, velvetty collards and earthy black-eyed peas make for a voluptuous coconut curry that is slightly out of the ordinary. It comes together real real fast, too. Serve with basmati rice and an easy mango and avocado salsa, for sweetness, tartness and a little extra creaminess. Have some sriracha at the ready in case you want a little extra spice!

~ This is a verrrry versatile and basic curry. You can swap the black eyed peas for chickpeas, or the greens for spinach or kale. You can even swap the red potatoes for sweet potatoes (although keep in mind sweet potatoes cook a lot faster.) But don’t swap the tomato paste for ketchup or the coconut milk for orange juice or anything gross like that.

1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
2 jalapenos, seeded and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons mild curry powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1 tablespoon agave
3 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 1/2 lbs red potatoes, in 3/4 inch pieces

1 lb collards, rough stems removed, leaves chopped into bite sized pieces
1 cup coconut milk
1 1/2 cups cooked black eyed peas (from a 15 oz can, rinsed and drained)

For the Mango Avocado Salsa:
1 ripe avocado, diced
1 ripe mango, diced
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

To serve: Basmati rice
Optional garnish: Fresh chopped cilantro

Preheat a 4 quart pot over medium heat. Saute the onion and jalapeno in the coconut oil for 5 to 7 minutes, until onion is lightly browned.

Add the garlic and ginger, and saute until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of curry powder, garam masala, salt, vegetable broth, agave, and tomato paste, and stir. The tomato paste may not dissolve just yet but that’s ok, it will when it heats through.

Add the potatoes, cover pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, immediately lower heat to a simmer, and leave the lid ajar so that steam can escape. Let potatoes cook just until tender, about 5 more minutes.

In the meantime, toss together all of the salsa ingredients in a mixing bowl and set aside.

Once potatoes are fork tender, add the collards, black-eyed peas and coconut milk. Stir gently to incorporate. Leave lid ajar again, and bring to a simmer. Let simmer just until collards are tender, it should only take a few minutes.

Turn off heat and taste for salt and spices. Add remaining curry powder if needed. It tastes best if you let it sit for 10 minutes or so, but if you can’t wait then just dig in!

Serve over basmati rice, topped with mango avocado salsa and cilantro, if you like. Have some sriracha at the ready in case you want a little extra spice.

• January 16, 2014 at 2:56 am: Shelley

omg yesss I love you I cant wait to make this!!

• January 16, 2014 at 7:46 am: Sarojini

Happy Ne Year- sounds like you have an exciting one ahead :)

• January 16, 2014 at 8:26 am: Stefanie

Holy smokes this looks amazing! I used to think that I didn’t like black eyed peas. I also used to think that I didn’t like baking… vegan food is definitely a game changer!

• January 16, 2014 at 9:37 am: Kasia Znana

Looks delicious! Must do ;)

• January 16, 2014 at 4:38 pm: Lauren

I made the black-eyed pea and collard tacos from Isa Does It on New Year’s Day. They were amazing. And the leftover peas were delicious for days.

• January 16, 2014 at 5:22 pm: Hollie

I had Hottie Black Eyed Peas for New Years, so no worries. But this I’m making ASAP.

• January 16, 2014 at 5:46 pm: Lynsi

I missed you! I understand the blazy thing, though, happens to the best of us!

• January 16, 2014 at 5:57 pm: Bianca- Vegan Crunk

Yum! I need to pin this for next NY day. Or maybe just for next week. :-)

• January 16, 2014 at 7:02 pm: Eileen

This is definitely going to happen ASAP! Beans, greens, potatoes, and coconut curry sauce? YES.

• January 16, 2014 at 9:15 pm: Christine (The Raw Project)

This looks amazing, can’t wait to try! Thanks!

• January 17, 2014 at 12:39 am: Cheryl

Made this tonight and this is a keeper! Delicious!

• January 17, 2014 at 5:15 pm: Abigail

This looks amazing! I just bought your new cookbook, too, and oh my GOODNESS it is the best yet!!! :D

• January 17, 2014 at 7:25 pm: Hillary

Yes please and thank you. Looks delicious. Btw, I LOVE your new book!

• January 19, 2014 at 4:25 am: Sara D.

Made this tonight. Very yummy! Thanks for the recipe. I subbed kale because the store didnt have collards. I would definitely make this again.

• January 19, 2014 at 7:55 pm: Krista

Just made this. So. Freaking. Good. Thanks for another fabulous recipe!

• January 20, 2014 at 3:00 pm: Katie

I made this with all of the suggested substitutions: chickpeas, sweet potato, and spinach & kale. It was delicious!!! I brought it to a potluck and everyone loved it!

• January 20, 2014 at 9:18 pm: Joy

I made this for a client who is oil-free, and it came out DELICIOUS. I subbed sweet potatoes for the potatoes and added some freshly grated turmeric, and left out the coconut milk, because I was thinking it was done, tasted it, and decided it was delicious as is! Excellent recipe, Isa! Thank you!

• January 21, 2014 at 2:16 am: Stephanie

Made this tonight by subbing sweet potatoes and kale. Excellent!! Thank you, Isa, for another delicious dinner!

• January 21, 2014 at 4:37 am: Alexis

I am made this tonight and found that my potatoes took way longer to cook, even though I think they are about the size of the ones in the picture. Just mentioning in case anyone else has that experience!

• January 22, 2014 at 12:24 pm: Flora

This was a project, but worth it. Everybody loved it. I would definitely make this again. I didn’t add the agave or the salsa, because I like to minimize sweetness in my savory dishes and because finding and preparing the ingredients for the salsa just might have sent me around the bend.

• January 24, 2014 at 4:48 pm: Molly

This was incredible stuff! The spice blend was perfect. I’ll be making this often, by popular demand.

• January 24, 2014 at 5:27 pm: VICKI KERR

This is so good! I have made it several times and its always a crowd pleaser.

• January 25, 2014 at 5:37 pm: Kate

Made this last night. Substituted kale for the collards and added a ton (well, maybe a cup) of chopped cilantro to the salsa. Served it over wild rice (’cause that’s what I had in the fridge). It was a super keeper! Thanks!

Also sent the link to my son (who is decidedly non-vegan). He made it with sweet potatoes and kale and loved it.

• January 26, 2014 at 1:46 am: Joy

I just made this and wowza! It’s good! I replaced the red potato with rutabaga which adds to the flavor!

• January 26, 2014 at 1:25 pm: Pauline

I think this is one of the most important info for me.
    And i’m glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The site style is wonderful, the articles is really nice : D.

Good job, cheers

• January 29, 2014 at 9:12 am: Live Love Vegan

Im going to make this

• January 31, 2014 at 7:02 pm: Luke Jones

Looks really nice! Had a similar recipe with plantain and sweet potato in before, it was great.

• February 3, 2014 at 5:50 pm: Julie

I’ve visited many vegan websites, but have to admit I am totally blown away by this one. I am spreading the word to all my friends. Love Love Love!

• February 9, 2014 at 12:24 am: Kelsey

Made this tonight- it was DELICIOUS!!! Only I forgot to make the avocado salsa because I was so excited to eat the curry! Thanks Isa for another winning recipe.

• February 16, 2014 at 4:35 am: Sheila

Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow! Did I mention “wow”? Do not wait until New Year’s to make this. It is spectacular.

• February 18, 2014 at 12:18 am: Matt

Thanks for this recipe! I’m a regular user and am know your recipes will always be a hit. Just made this one with kale, sweet potato, and leftover butternut squash. Big winner. Oh and I was excited to see your cookbook or one of them in a bookstore in Baltimore this weekend.

• February 18, 2014 at 10:06 pm: Jess

I made baaaasically this curry yesterday, but swapped out the sweet potatoes for cubed kabocha squash, and the collards for swiss chard. Fast-cooking and delicious!

• February 19, 2014 at 2:42 am: Grace

This is a winner and I am so appreciative of how your recipes are using less and less fat and still managing to be flat out yummy. I served this to a crowd of all kinds of eaters ( adventurous kids, meat and potatoes woman, vegetarian and omnivores) and everyone raved. I doubled the recipe using only 1Tbsp coconut oil and only one cup coconut milk and it was still luscious and flavorful. You are my heroine.

• February 22, 2014 at 4:40 pm: Aqiyl Aniys

This looks absolutely amazing!

• February 25, 2014 at 4:00 pm: rhonda

I made this and it was a hit! I really enjoyed it. The mango avocado salsa is great by itself!

• February 28, 2014 at 6:45 pm: N

I tried to improvise a little with this recipe, using what I already have in the house. Chickpeas instead of black eye and kale instead of spinach. I also used water instead of stock. 1/4 tsp of salt as I try not to have to much salt in my diet and 1/2 of the agave, as i have also cut back on my sugar intake. It was great. I thought that when I made so many changes that it would make a big difference or taste bland and it did not. I will make this again. Thank you.

• March 3, 2014 at 3:55 am: Kat

Holy curry amazingness!!! I am eating this right now, and can’t stop myself. After a long run in the cold wind and rain, this is just the ticket to bring me back to life. Thank you!!

• March 4, 2014 at 5:41 pm: LOOKSAMAZING

We should SO eat thisssssalalala <3<3<3

• March 4, 2014 at 8:23 pm: Tina

I made this last night. Wonderful. I thought the salsa might be overkill, but it’s inspired. That bit of sweetness and creaminess–perfect! Thanks.

• March 6, 2014 at 12:17 am: Sofia

I made this two days ago. I’m not an efficient mango slicer, so the mango has been gone since yesterday, and now there is only avocado salsa. Which is not the same as defeat.

This is going on my short list of monthly rotations. Actually, this is the reason I now have a monthly rotation.

This message has been brought to you by the Curry: It’s What’s For Dinner Council

• March 11, 2014 at 2:07 pm: Marlene

This is wonderful and satisfying~ I used sweet potatoes, kale and garbanzos that I had on hand with lots of cilantro. Love it!

• March 12, 2014 at 11:15 am: Zelda

I leave a response when I appreciate a article on a website or
    I have something to valuable to contribute to the discussion.
    Usually it’s caused by the passion communicated in
    the article I read. And after this article Black Eyed Pea Curry With Collards & Potatoes |
    Post Punk Kitchen | Vegan Baking & Vegan Cooking. I was actually moved enough to post a comment :-P I do have a few questions for you if it’s allright.
    Is it simply me or do a few of these comments come across like they are left by brain dead folks?
    :-P And, if you are posting at additional online sites, I’d like
    to keep up with anything new you have to post.
    Would you list every one of all your communal sites like your
    linkedin profile, Facebook page or twitter feed?

• March 13, 2014 at 2:26 am: http://monobo.sg/

Hi! This post could not be written any better! Reading through this post
    reminds me of my good old room mate! He always kept
    chatting about this. I will forward this post to him.
    Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!

• March 13, 2014 at 9:43 pm: Mo

Made the brit version – not sure what collards are so went with kale. It was yummy, really good. Thankyou :) And we had tomato salsa because we had some really good toms and no mangoes.

• March 17, 2014 at 4:27 pm: Donica

This looks really good, but I have a question. Should I use canned coconut milk or the type that comes in the carton? Thanks!

• March 26, 2014 at 4:25 am: esteban

I used kale and green beans instead of collards and black eye peas and added pumpkin. It was great!! The mango and avocado really makes it. Thanks again Isa!

• March 27, 2014 at 1:20 pm: Valerie

I’m eating this right now and it’s phenomenal! Did mine with kale and sweet potatoes served on coconut basmati rice….MMM!!

• March 28, 2014 at 2:57 pm: Stevee

I lived my whole life snubbing sweet potatoes because I associated them with that yucky marshmallow slop served at the holidays. But, I LOVE curry and I saw your idea for curry with sweet potatoes and kale- so I said, what the heck, live a little and try something different.

And, I did and the results: AMAZING!

I did mix it up a bit by using my usual curry making M.O.- red paste and coconut milk- but, I would have never discovered my true love of sweet potatoes had it not been for you…thanks, Isa!

• April 1, 2014 at 8:57 pm: Tracy I

We nominated you for a Versatile Blogger Award. Thanks for being so awesome! http://fitisafeministissue.com/2014/04/01/versatile-blogger-award/

• April 2, 2014 at 5:34 am: Hannah

We’ve now made this recipe three times in two weeks, but with chickpeas. It’s just gorgeous, and it’s easy enough to make that a person with a miserable cold can put it together. I’ve always been a big fan of collards, and now I’m obsessed with them. You leafy greens pusher, you.

• April 5, 2014 at 11:27 pm: Julianne

Just made this. Holy flavor! This is cheap, easy, healthy, satisfying, and delightful – definitely going into my regular rotation. Truly tastes restaurant-good – I had no idea I could make curries this delicious at home. The potatoes get super creamy and soak up the sauce, and I love the collards in it, too. It was also my first time ever trying black eyed peas. I had leftovers for dayyys.

I can’t wait to make this for my boyfriend – he loves Asian flavors and I’m sure he will love this!

• April 22, 2014 at 11:35 pm: Corrin Radd

Made this today and it’s great (I added an extra can of beans for more protein).

• May 22, 2014 at 9:12 pm: Ana

Awesome! I used Yukon gold potatoes and chickpeas (what I had on hand) and hot curry powder instead of mild (but only 1t). And I skipped the salsa. My omnivore partner still gobbled it up and had seconds. This does come together really nicely and quickly. Perfect weeknight dinner!

I reheated today after making it yesterday and it was even more delectable the second day than it was when I made it. And I still have some left for my partner – he’ll be excited!

• August 2, 2014 at 8:07 pm: http://tatertotsandjello.com/

What i don’t realize is actually how you’re not really much more neatly-liked than you might be
    now. You’re so intelligent. You know therefore considerably
    in terms of this topic, produced me in my opinion imagine it
    from a lot of various angles. Its like men and women are not interested except it
    is one thing to do with Girl gaga! Your individual stuffs outstanding.
    Always care for it up!

• August 2, 2014 at 8:36 pm: dayz free download

It’s going to be end of mine day, but before finish I am reading this fantastic paragraph to increase my experience.

• September 4, 2014 at 12:18 am: Rachel

I have to say that this is one of my favorite recipes now!! I made it tonight and it was off the hook! My 11 year old son even ate it, which is about as miraculous as discovering penicillin, since he is anti-curry, anti-collards, anti-anything that is not a vegan burrito or Amy’s pizza… This is a keeper! My dad loves curry dishes, so I will have to make this for him next!! Thanks for sharing your creations!