October 4, 2010

Charbroiled Butternut Squash

Serves 4 to 6

All it takes is a little walnut oil and salt, plus a short spell under the broiler, to elevate your squash into something sublime. The exterior gets all caramelized and crispy while the interior is smooth, sweet and creamy.

1 large butternut squash (about 2 1/2 pounds)

2 tablespoons walnut oil (olive oil is just great, too)

Salt

Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.

Peel the butternut squash. Slice off ends. Chop the bulbous part off and scoop out seeds. Slice everything widthwise into just a little under 1 inch thick slices. The bulbous part will be sliced into pretty rings.

Drizzle one tablespoon of oil onto the baking sheet and dredge butternut slices in oil. Drizzle the remaining oil over the slices. Spray with a little cooking spray for good measure. Sprinkle with salt and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, then flip, sprinkle with a little salt, and bake another 15 minutes. It should be cooked through and a browned at this point.

Turn the heat up to broil. Place baking sheet under broil and cook for about 5 minutes, the squash should be dark brown in places caramelized. The rings may cook faster than the other slices, so remove them sooner if necessary.

• November 7, 2010 at 11:32 pm: becky

I love the added excitement of possible death while preparing dinner, so I’ll give this one a shot.

• November 7, 2010 at 11:35 pm: becky

woops, that comment was for the beans recipe on homepage, where it talks about the blender, etc… oh well. i did try.

• November 11, 2010 at 2:37 am: john

i just want to be seen in print. I am writing from an ashram and i intend to try the white bean and kale soup. I hope fava beans are ok cause dat is wat is in da larder, yo. anyway, this dish ought to be tried too cause we got a lot of butternut squash like plus four hundred still…thanks veganomicon for the inspiration! whew. signed , Grati -Dude

• November 20, 2010 at 2:28 pm: Tizmarelda

I’m imagining this with delicata squash. No need to peel, the whole squash will slice into rings, with pretty scalloped edges. I’m trying it out tonight, as a garnish for some mushroom risotto, I’ll let you know how it goes

• November 20, 2010 at 3:52 pm: IsaChandra

Yep, delicata would be great!

• November 24, 2010 at 7:46 pm: Tizmarelda

Yea, the delicata worked like a charm. Just wished I made more. Note to self – use 2 squashes next time!

• December 8, 2010 at 6:30 pm: Erica

Thanks!! I have two squash on my counter that I have been trying to figure out what on earth to do with. Trying this recipe with them tonight!

• February 27, 2011 at 1:10 am: Rusty

Looks and smells WONDERFUL. I think I need a better blender, though to grind up those seeds. Or maybe use powdered coriander and cumin next time.

• November 5, 2011 at 1:34 am: Sonja

That was excellent. My husband gives it rave reviews

• November 14, 2012 at 12:23 am: Lauren

Can you use peanut oil instead of walnut?

• January 5, 2013 at 10:55 pm: Marnie

This sounds lovely, but do you have a no-nightshade solution? Something which is a reasonable substitution for the tomato sauce?

• October 17, 2013 at 10:52 am: JoAnna

This recipe motivated me to finally brave my awkwardly placed broiler (the floor grazing type) and boy was it delicious! I removed the parchment paper before broiling, as not doing so seemed risky (see Becky’s comment about possible death lol…I’ll have to check out those beans!). Was I overly cautious? I use unbleached parchment paper from WF. Thank you for this simple, tasty dish in your unending repertoire of never-fail goodness.

• January 18, 2014 at 2:48 am: Jurisrachel

Yum, yum, yum. I’ll be making this again.

• October 26, 2014 at 10:52 pm: Dan

Incorporated some maple vinegar I had in the oiling stage. These turned out great. Perfect skin-to-soft texture.