October 5, 2010

Fluffy Mashed Potatoes

Serves 6 to 8

Pictured here with Savory Mushroom Gravy

Mashed potatoes should be a no-brainer, but I’ve had some pretty bad vegan ones in my day. I think the problem has been three-fold: too much Earth Balance, the wrong kind of milk and over-boiling. Rule number one: always use unsweetened milk. Even regular soy milk or almond milk have a sweetener and that can give mashed potatoes an “off” taste. I prefer almond milk, but no matter you use, make sure it says “unsweetened” on the package. And yes, you can have too much vegan butter in your mash. I wildly prefer the taste and texture of olive oil. Also, never boil the potatoes. That makes the outsides mushy and kind of water logged. Instead, once the water is boiling, lower the heat to a simmer. Mash the potatoes once they are fork tender, if the potatoes are falling apart then they have been cooking for too long.

But more important than anything is…the potatoes! Choose organic potatoes, because the taste of conventional potatoes just does not compare. And I love to use thin-skinned yukon gold. They’re so creamy and you don’t need to peel off the skin. Okay, now that I’ve chastised you, go off into the world and make these mashed potatoes for friends, family and even foes.

3 pounds yukon gold potatoes
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk at room temp
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3/4 teaspoon salt (plus more for the water)
Several dashes fresh black pepper

Cut potatoes into about 1 1/2 inch chunks. Place in a pot and cover with cold water. Spinkle about a teaspoon of salt into the water. Cover and bring to a boil.

Once boiling lower heat to a simmer and cook for about 12 minutes, until fork tender. Drain potatoes, then place back in the pot. Do a preliminary mash with a potato masher, just to get them broken up. Add milk, oil, salt and pepper and mash until fluffy. You may want to add a bit more milk, if needed. Taste for salt and pepper and serve!

• November 7, 2010 at 7:22 pm: Stephanie Brown

Better yet, steam the potatoes. They come out perfect this way. Cut the same and it takes about the same time (12-15 min). YUM!

Can’t wait to try the gravy!

• November 9, 2010 at 12:49 am: doug

I like to add some carmelized onions to my mashed potatoes.

• December 29, 2010 at 4:53 am: vegmom

Put garlic and olive oil in an aluminum pouch bake until the garlic is golden and smooshy mash and add to M. Potatoes……I promise that they will be some of the best Ever!

• January 14, 2011 at 2:28 am: Nancy B.

My MIL once told me her secret to mashed potatoes. After simmering them, drain the water out and let them sit for awhile in the pot to soak up any remaining moisture so they don’t get gummy when you mash them. That was for Russets, but maybe it works for Yukons as well.

• February 2, 2011 at 10:28 pm: fee

I add Nutmeg to my mashed potatoes.

• May 17, 2011 at 5:09 pm: Magazine masculin

So delicious thank you good recipe

• May 18, 2011 at 9:28 pm: Cassandra

Garlic, thyme mashed potatoes with hemp milk and a little earth balance, salt and pepper are amazing as well!

• March 18, 2012 at 11:16 pm: Stacey

I’ve been having trouble finding Yukon Gold potatoes–can this work with organic red skinned potatoes? If yes, would any adjustments need to be made? (For example, I know YG’s are a bit creamier.)

• March 19, 2012 at 5:09 am: IsaChandra

I like mashed reds. Maybe you’ll need a little more liquid…

• June 30, 2012 at 10:01 pm: Jen

Great recipe! I added minced garlic (raw) and some thyme. Can’t wait to try the mushroom gravy.

• September 8, 2012 at 11:45 pm: Crista

I made these tonight, delish!

• September 21, 2012 at 4:17 pm: michele

i love mashed potatoes! i find the best way to do them is to bake the potatoes in their skins, then coarsely chop and mash with the skins on. the flavour and texture are far superior!

• October 24, 2012 at 4:39 pm: Nicole

Can this be made with soy or flax milk for those of us with a nut allergy?

• October 24, 2012 at 8:55 pm: IsaChandra

Sure, just make sure it’s plain and unsweetened!

• November 7, 2012 at 11:01 pm: Lenore

Can these be made the day before?

• November 20, 2012 at 3:02 pm: Sarah

I second the last question, can these be made the day before? Also, how about mashed sweet potatoes? Would you make them the same way, just use sweet potatoes?

• November 20, 2012 at 3:36 pm: IsaChandra

They can be made ahead. Sweet potatoes have a lot more water. What I usually do with sweet potatoes is simply bake until very soft, scoop from the skins and mash with some cinnamon. They don’t even need any oil or additional liquid.

• November 21, 2012 at 2:40 pm: Sarah

Thank you so much for your speedy reply!

• December 11, 2012 at 1:34 am: PurpleKush

Wonderful… Making them again tonight with more of that lovely gravy.

• January 23, 2013 at 4:12 pm: Eileen

Wow, you just saved me from making mashed potatoes that were sweet! I didn’t know almond milk was sweetened. Thanks – these were yummy!

• February 20, 2013 at 10:42 pm: Erica Writesel

exactly the answer I was looking for :) thank you so much!

• November 3, 2013 at 1:44 pm: Sarah

Really good recipe! I love vegan mashed potato sooo much! :) but I make few adds in mine.. add a ltl Veganaise and a spoon of vegan butter. It makes flavor and texture really creamy, also add garlic, onion powder and nutritional yeast.. overall thank u for the recipe

• November 17, 2013 at 4:05 am: Eva

Using a nut oil will add a different dimension to the potatoes. Like a hazelnut or walnut…or maybe even a truffle oil.

• November 27, 2013 at 12:07 am: Lisa

great idea to use almond milk, so many only know soy milk :)

• November 27, 2013 at 4:54 am: Mallory

These were delicious mashed potatoes! Everyone at my work at them up! I added some vegan butter just to give them a little bit more flavor tho. I think next I’m going to try what some other people said and put some garlic in them! Mmmm! Can’t wait to make these again! (I also made the gravy it said to pair with it and it just sent them over the top!!)

• November 30, 2013 at 5:00 pm: Tori

I tweaked this just a bit to meet our needs (my mom’s vegetarian, not vegan) and they turned out delicious! I replaced the soy milk with skim milk and the olive oil with grapeseed oil. I also added some garlic powder and dry chopped onions. Best mashed potatoes ever!

• December 7, 2013 at 6:45 am: Leslie Taylor

If I wanted to add some garlic to it, how much would you suggest so that it wouldn’t be overkill? I’m definitely a cook-in-training and I haven’t had much luck with certain soup and pasta recipes, for whatever reason. So any help is VERY MUCH appreciated. Thank you.

• December 26, 2013 at 1:46 am: Sanchez

This is a wonderful recipe! Due to my sister’s and my allergies, we had to use coconut milk. Thankfully this wasn’t a setback at all! The potatoes came out very creamy and fluffy, just as advertised :u) Thanks so much!

• March 4, 2014 at 12:10 am: Meghan

I didn’t read this before I bought regular almond milk :( I get what you’re saying about the sweetness thing. You know what solved the issue? Deli mustard! It’s yummy.