November 4, 2010

Doublebatch Chickpea Cutlets

Makes 8 cutlets

This recipe is a Veganomicon favorite! Vegan food that will put your lonely steak knives to work? I’m in! As the years pass I make modifications to all my recipes, as you probably do, too. This one is pretty faithful to the original, only I’ve increased the quantity because might as well. Why not have extra cutlets for tucking into sandwiches or chopping up over a Caesar salad?

I’ve paired down the ingredient list a little bit — it doesn’t exactly need the garlic and lemon peel, although I’ve listed them as optional. Sometimes I’m just not in the mood to break out the microplane grater (I can get pretty damn lazy.) I’ve also taken a few pictures so that you can see exactly how they should look throughout the prep. And last but not least, because people always ask, I’ve added food processor instructions. Hopefully this makes the recipe even easier and more foolproof then it was, and I think it was already pretty easy.

A couple of other things: Wheat gluten can vary from brand to brand. These come out great with either Arrowhead Mills Brand or Bob’s Red Mill, although I think Bob’s brand makes them a bit firmer. Also, you should only use storebought breadrumbs unless you plan on tweaking the recipe. I’ve tried homemade breadcrumbs and they come out way to mushy.

The texture we’re looking for is firm and a bit crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. I find that for the best texture you should let the cutlets rest after cooking for 10 minutes or so before digging in.

1 16 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup vital wheat gluten
1 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
Olive oil for pan frying

Optional ingredients:
4 cloves garlic, pressed or grated with a Microplane grater
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest

In a mixing bowl, mash the chickpeas together with the oil until no whole chickpeas are left. Use an avocado masher or a strong fork. Alternately, you can pulse the chickpeas in a food processor. We’re not making hummus here, so be careful not to puree them, just get them mashed up. You can also sneak the garlic cloves in here instead of grating them, just pulse them up before adding the chickpeas. If using a food processor, transfer to a mixing bowl when done.

Add the remaining ingredients and knead together for about 3 minutes, until strings of gluten have formed. The strings should look like this (click photo for an even closer up view):

Preheat a large heavy-bottomed skillet over low-medium heat. Cast iron works best. If you have two pans and want to cook all the cutlets at once then go for it, otherwise you’ll be making them in two batches.

Divide the cutlet dough into 2 equal pieces. Then divide each of those pieces into 4 separate pieces (so you’ll have 8 all together). To form cutlets, knead each piece in your hand for a few moments and then flatten and stretch each one into a roughly 6 by 4 inch rectangular cutlet shape. The easiest way to do this is to form a rectangle shape in your hands and then place the cutlets on a clean surface to flatten and stretch them. (OK, maybe my surface wasn’t that clean.)

Add a moderately thin layer of olive oil to the bottom of the pan. Place the cutlets in the pan and cook on each side for 6 to 7 minutes. Add more oil, if needed, when you flip the cutlets. They’re ready when lightly browned and firm to the touch. I’ve found that they cook more thoroughly if I cover the pan in between flips. I also use my spatula to press down on them while they’re cooking, that way they cook more evenly.

Now let them rest for a bit and you’re done!

• November 4, 2010 at 12:13 am: JanetG

Have you ever used Bob’s chickpea flour instead of actual chickpeas?

• November 4, 2010 at 12:16 am: admin

No Janet, I think that would taste like falafel!

• November 4, 2010 at 12:20 am: Lorin

I haven’t had good luck subbing the chickpea flour for actual peas in much of anything.

• November 4, 2010 at 12:22 am: jayedee aka ntiveheart

the cutlets look wonderful! are those sesame seeds i see? were they a part of the breadcrumbs? or a separate ingredient?

• November 4, 2010 at 12:28 am: Donna

I can’t wait to try these! Have you (or anyone) tried freezing them?

• November 4, 2010 at 12:29 am: PattiH

Yum! I can’t believe I had all the ingredients on hand, too.

• November 4, 2010 at 12:31 am: admin

Nope, no sesame seeds. It’s just the chopped up chickpeas. And yes, subbing chickpea flour is never a good sub for whole chickpeas.

• November 4, 2010 at 12:42 am: Emmeline/Boober

these are probably my favorite things to make with chickpeas! they look great!

• November 4, 2010 at 12:44 am: Eve Love

argh! that gravy on the picture makes me crazy…!

• November 4, 2010 at 1:02 am: Lisa

They bake well too. And they make awesome nuggets.

• November 4, 2010 at 1:04 am: Bethany

Can I use panko? I have that on hand, but I don’t know how well they’d turn out.

• November 4, 2010 at 1:07 am: yvonne

I usually double the Veganomicon recipe and then freeze half the batch to have cutlets anytime. I put parchment paper between each cutlet so they’re easy to separate.

• November 4, 2010 at 1:14 am: Katie

Yay! I’m so excited that you posted this. I love the chickpea cutlets and have started making double batches of them. I actually love them with cheezy sauce. Thanks!

• November 4, 2010 at 1:25 am: l rat

yesssss! these are the best!

• November 4, 2010 at 1:34 am: josh

i love this recipe! i’ve had good luck using gram flour in place of beans – i usually puree everything with the liquids, then add the gluten, then the gram flour until a malleable dough forms, knead it until it gets rather firm, then shape into a log.

i usually make a x4 recipe because we are both very busy and having leftovers makes everything so much easier… i either slice it and fry it, or cut it into several large pieces and simmer or bake them and then cut into strips for sammies.

• November 4, 2010 at 1:35 am: Gee andjay

Can’t wait to try these! On a toasted bun with pesto mayo and roasted peppers

• November 4, 2010 at 1:46 am: Donna

Thanks Yvonne! Do you freeze them before cooking or after?

• November 4, 2010 at 2:00 am: Ana

I never have storebought breadcrumbs around (the ingredients list on most is way too long for my liking), but I use quick-cooking oats instead. And while I can’t compare (never did make them with breadcrumbs), they come out great!

• November 4, 2010 at 2:43 am: Amy

I always use Panko and they turn out great. I also have green them. They are not too bad, however maybe a little tougher.

• November 4, 2010 at 2:46 am: Koalaborg

I love these cutlets! I always quadruple the recipe and have plenty for the week. This is a weekly staple in our household. I usually use Back to Nature Stoneground whole wheat crackers for my breadcrumbs – I pulse them in my food processor. I don’t usually keep lemons on hand because once I get the peel they turn into rocks in my fridge, so I usually just add a tsp of lemon juice. For the perfect consistency (for us at least) I pan fry in olive oil to brown the cutlets and then bake for twenty minutes. always an incredible meal!

• November 4, 2010 at 3:24 am: Angela

Can you post a recipe for the gravy featured in the picture. I’ve not had good luck with making vegan gravy that doesn’t come from a package. Gonna try the recipe for cutlets soon, looks great

• November 4, 2010 at 3:47 am: Keri - I Eat Trees

Definitely a favorite recipe around here! I even make them when we go up to visit my nonveg family and they *love* them!

• November 4, 2010 at 3:48 am: virtual.jess

store bought bread crumbs?? That explains EVERYTHING!!! I cater, so I always have crusts of sandwich bread laying around, I never get around to drying them properly, I just rip them up into the food processor and away we go! And then I wonder why my cutlets don’t firm up in the middle… sigh. Thanks for the tip ;)

• November 4, 2010 at 4:01 am: celyn

I am excited for the updated version! Will try. Everything looks delicious.

• November 4, 2010 at 5:07 am: Ignatius Ogelthorpe

For lazy people: Put everything besides the wheat gluten in a blender, forgoing the bread crumbs (too much effort to make, seems silly to buy) blend until chickpeas and garlic and junk are well smashed, pour into a bowl and mix in the gluten with yo hands. I usually make a triple of the original (or 1.5X this posting, pull out your calculator (or brain)) so once you have it mixed up you can just flatten it over a decent sized (12″X17″) pan spreading over the whole pan yields a dec thickness – laying down some olive oil beforehand of course. Then bake for ~20 min at ‘roun 350 degrees Fahrenheit, cut it up into the desired sizes then flip, spraying on some oil if desired (takes effort). Bake for another ~10 min. Eat all in one sitting.

• November 4, 2010 at 6:50 am: yvonne

Donna: I freeze them before cooking. To use them I usually bake them, but you could pan fry them too. Would probably want to add some water and cover to help defrost. Hope that helps!

• November 4, 2010 at 2:49 pm: chris

I make these on a regular basis. They are absolutely awesome!!!

• November 4, 2010 at 2:56 pm: Frederic

This is a standard in our household (pairs really well with Chicago Diner Gravy) to the point that I know that the recipe is on page 133 without having to look it up! I change around the spices each time (green curry paste was a good addition), and it works with other beans besides chickpeas. Cannellini seems to work really well; lentils were the least successful as they produced dense pucks. Thanks for this recipe!

• November 4, 2010 at 7:12 pm: Mo

I always double the recipe! These are one of my favorites!

• November 4, 2010 at 10:58 pm: danica

I made wayy too much hummus the other day. Think I can turn it into the chickpea cutlets?

• November 5, 2010 at 1:56 pm: Lizzie

I did it! I couldn’t believe how easy it was to make these–and even my husband, a would-be-if-he-could-be lambetarian gave them a B+. I, on the otherhand, rated them an A. I baked them, minus the lemon zest because I was feeling lazy, and topped them off with some delicious Veganomicon mushroom gravy. Thank you, Isa! You’re amazing.

• November 5, 2010 at 8:03 pm: nick

looks awesome!

i’d appreciate the nutritional info. :)

• November 5, 2010 at 8:41 pm: mollyjade

Yours are so much flatter than mine. I need to ponder this.

• November 5, 2010 at 11:15 pm: amanda

just made these tonight for about the third time and this time was the best for some reason. i also made the mushroom gravy and i usually make the mustard sauce.
    this obviously isn’t going to please everyone, but i use wheat germ in place of bread crumbs. mostly because i never buy bread crumbs and i always have wheat germ but i think it tastes good and makes them firm.

• November 6, 2010 at 12:11 am: Andy Dufresne

I always make a double batch, but they still never seem to stick around for long. I think these may be my favorite things from Veganomicon.

• November 6, 2010 at 8:48 am: pharaohscat

What if we can’t find wheat gluten? Is there any substitute?

• November 6, 2010 at 6:10 pm: Ronna Secker

My husband has celiac. Is there a non wheat gluten sbstitute?

• November 6, 2010 at 6:35 pm: sandra jayne

Yes, how to make them gluten free……

• November 6, 2010 at 7:55 pm: Allison

I’m with the above 2 commentors on ideas to substitute to make them gluten-free. Starch + xanthan gum + teff/sorghum flour maybe?

• November 6, 2010 at 11:07 pm: veggiepoodles

Re: GF cutlets – I wonder if some agar flakes would help hold them together, or if just xanthan gum would do the trick? For the flour I would probably do a mixture of teff, sorgum, millet, & buckwheat. I usually add a small amount of bob’s red mill white bean flour to recipes for some protein to help the consistency (works great), but since this whole thing is made of beans, I don’t think it’s necessary. I have make chickpea cutlets from another cookbook in the past and they were delicious, but fell apart. I can’t wait to try these!

• November 6, 2010 at 11:14 pm: veggiepoodles

I just remembered that Orgran has a product called “gluten substitute”.

• November 7, 2010 at 3:46 am: Catherine

One of my favorite recipes evah – but it never occurred to me to serve them for Thanksgiving! What a great idea!

• November 7, 2010 at 2:42 pm: Babette

I love this recipe… and you’re right, I also like the fact that I can eat with a steak knife for once!

• November 7, 2010 at 3:10 pm: Sandra

Thank you for this great recipe. We made these for dinner last night (we celebrated our 28th anniversary – yay!) These would definitely be good for Thanksgiving or whenever we have guests over. So good!!

• November 7, 2010 at 7:26 pm: Getting Healthy

These look delicious. I am adding the ingredients to my shopping list right now. Thanks!

• November 9, 2010 at 3:17 pm: Hope

Oh boy, I made these last night and they were FANTASTIC. Nice and cripy on the outside. I too baked them in the oven. I formed them into cutlets as usual but I placed them on a baking sheet. I sprayed the baking sheet and the cutlets liberaly with olive oil and baked them at 375 (flipped them half way) It’s strange how much like a breaded chicken cutlet they look like. I am totally addicted to these now.

• November 10, 2010 at 8:16 pm: Dawn

For those of you that are looking for a gf version, I’ve been making these for a long time and finally posted them earlier this year : http://veg-am.blogspot.com/2010/07/gluten-free-chickpea-cutlets.html

• November 12, 2010 at 5:51 pm: Scott Carlson

Thought I’d share one change I made to these. I replace half of the breadcrumbs with cracked wheat. It gives the cutlets a more interesting texture, in my opinion.

• November 14, 2010 at 6:57 pm: Tara

chickpea flour makes awesome crepes!

• November 14, 2010 at 8:04 pm: The Edgy Vedgy

these look amazing…i defiantly need to try them out soon. i absolutely love anything with chick peas. these would be great for dorm room vegans. :]

• November 15, 2010 at 4:18 am: Dev

Does anyone have any ideas for something to substitute the wheat gluten with?

• November 15, 2010 at 4:23 am: Dev

oof didn’t see the above link :/ stupid

• November 16, 2010 at 3:19 pm: Deborah

In my experience, Panko works AWESOME in bean burgers, cutlets, etc., but I have not tried it in this particular recipe, which is so tasty and satisfying as it is.

• November 17, 2010 at 1:29 pm: Gina

Where I live (west Africa), today is an upsetting annual holiday for a vegan: the day of sacrifice. My (culinary) response has been to make these chickpea cutlets, although today I am feeling averse to the word “cutlet”. But it’s a great recipe and this is not the first time I’ve made it. Many thanks.

• November 19, 2010 at 7:48 pm: Loretta

Because of the great reviews I took a chance and actually TRIPPLED the recipe first time out. We have a family of 6 and a visitor. They were a HUGE hit. I made them round and a little fatter than they should have been, so they took a bit longer to cook. I was worried at first b/c they seemed stringy in the middle at first, but I put them into some gravy and allowed them to continue cooking in gravy in the oven and they were ABSOLUTELY AWESOME. Next time I’ll definitely make the cutlet shape, but these are not going to waste for sure. Great taste and texture! I’m sure this will become a staple in our home. Thanks for (another) great recipe!

• November 20, 2010 at 7:27 pm: Jennifer

I have always used fresh breadcrumbs . I think that I usually put the bread in the toaster first to dry out. They always came out great! I will have to try it with store bought breadcrumbs to check out the difference. But I will have to try to make an extra stop at the regular grocery store and skip the co-op their breadcrumbs are expensive!

• November 23, 2010 at 1:05 pm: Ang Wheaton

I LOVE LOVE LOVE these, they’re like the chickpea gravy but in a “meatier” form. These are something I’m going to be making alot of :-)

• November 24, 2010 at 6:42 am: guh

Is it ok to leave out the sage, the store didn’t have any, and i got everything last minute :(

• November 24, 2010 at 4:30 pm: shiraz

I am making these for TG, but I was going to make the dough either tonight or in the morning to fry later tomorrow. Will the gluten in it do anything weird if I let it sit in the fridge overnight or out at room temp for a few hours tomorrow? I’ve made these several times before and they are awesome, but I’ve never made up the dough in advance. Thanks!

• November 25, 2010 at 6:28 pm: Erin

Just made them last night for the first time. OMG, where have these been all my life. An instant staple in my fridge/freezer fo sho!

• November 26, 2010 at 1:08 pm: Laur

My husband made these for Thanksgiving dinner yesterday. They were fantastic! Thank you so much for the wonderful recipe!

• November 26, 2010 at 5:41 pm: Debbie

Ana, you say you used quick cooking oats instead of bread crumbs. Did you use them whole?
    Thanks.

• November 29, 2010 at 3:33 pm: Sonia

I made these last night and the family LOVED them. My husband had seconds. That was a bonus since when I was making it he said, “Is that like….fake meat??” LOL I used homemade BBQ sauce instead of soy sauce because my 4 year old is allergic to soy. I can’t wait to eat the leftover one for lunch!

• November 30, 2010 at 1:15 pm: Christine FD

My first time using vital wheat gluten – holy protein! They were really filling without being heavy and causing a food coma. Awesome! Can’t wait to play around with the flavors.

• December 5, 2010 at 2:23 am: Christine

This is a fantastic recipe! My bf asks for them for dinner every night. I think we need to make a quadruple batch ;)

• December 12, 2010 at 2:51 am: Cassandra

This recipe is awesome! Second time to make it this week! This time I ended up seasoning with diced green chilies, garlic, mexican chili powder, cumin, and oregano. They are yum! Barely got them to the dinner table before they were all gone! :)

• December 13, 2010 at 11:37 pm: Becca

Chickpea Cutlets were my first Veganomicon recipe!

• December 16, 2010 at 4:10 am: zeebo

thank you for this…it is a staple now. I freeze them with no problems…even though they really do not require much work at all to make fresh it is still nice when im a lazy butt and just pop in microwave for 2 mins then right to the pan.

• December 20, 2010 at 2:28 pm: Gina

Made these again, today, for guests. Everyone loved them–meat-eaters and vegetarians and vegans alike. Many thanks! A great recipe.

• December 21, 2010 at 7:01 pm: Lanette

Ok. I feel like a moron, because I made these for my in laws and they were chewy and gummy inside the cutlet. Totally grossed out and inedible. Not to mention embarrassing. Perhaps my in laws stove was too high? I set it on low and it still turned out this way. Any suggestions? I did try these (a friend made them) and they were absolutely amazing! please help. :o)

• December 25, 2010 at 2:35 am: met

far too chewy! it became virtually inedible. such a bummer too, since the flavor was on point. i think i’ll try it without the wheat gluten and just bread crumbs. I felt sick after eating just one cutlet.

• December 26, 2010 at 9:00 am: Heidi

Made this for the first time for Xmas dinner. After reading some comments and reviews around the web, I was concerned they would be too chewy/stringy for my liking (I have found most seitan dishes I’ve tried too rubbery). Tried this with half the amount of wheat gluten (1/2 c in a double batch) and twice the broth (1/2 c). Minimal kneading and pressed it to about 1/2″ thick because I wanted ‘em crisp. However it was a challenge getting the oil the right temp for pan-frying: first cutlet was perfect; others browned unevenly. Will try baking next time. Omni sister said it reminded her of a schnitzel. Nicely tender and the chickpea flavour came through.

• December 31, 2010 at 4:36 pm: Erica

I know most people don’t like hydrogenated oils, but I made some chickpea patties at my mom’s last year and used Ritz crackers instead of bread crumbs (her breadcrumbs had cheese!) I then baked until they were almost cooked and lightly fried them to finish cooking. They were the MOST delicious cutlets I’ve ever had!!

• January 9, 2011 at 10:23 pm: Kayll

I just made these for lunch and they came out fantastic! I had no sage and substituted with marjoram. Also, I had no plain breadcrumbs. My Italian flavored breadcrumbs probably added to the flavor. Yum! Plus, I put in 2 cloves of garlic. I’m newly vegan (junk food vegetarian for about 10 years), and I’m finally eating right after all these years. With all the new recipes I’ve tried lately, I don’t like going out to eat anymore. Thanks so much!

• January 10, 2011 at 12:15 am: Mat

I’m an omnivore, having said that these are brilliant! I just made em’ for my vegan fiance and I.
    So cruchie on the outside and tender on the inside. One of the best cutlets (meat or not) I’ve ever had.
    Served with garlic mashed potatoes, sauteed broccoli & green beans, and a sage pepper gravy. I will be making this recipe again in the very very near furure………….great stuff.

• January 13, 2011 at 8:00 pm: JeolsliesMomma

Yummm these sounds great. I made my man some lentil burgers the other night, and they were really crumbly and not too flavorful… he said they tasted like ass. Maybe I can fool him with these, LoL.

• January 15, 2011 at 12:29 am: Erika

For those asking for nutritional info, I plugged the recipe into an estimator:
    Serving Size: 1 cutlets
    Sugars 1g
    Protein 17g 34%
    Est. Percent of Calories from:
    Fat 35%
    Carbs 40%
    Protein 29%

I am trying to be conscious of my sodium intake so I did sub 1/2 of the soy sauce for braggs.
    Just know that the sodium is higher than listed above if you opt to make them with the full quarter cup of soy sauce.

• January 16, 2011 at 5:26 am: Frankie Marie

Making these right now..can’t wait to see how they turn out. I already pan-fried these puppies and finishing them up in the oven for extra crispiness!

• January 16, 2011 at 6:06 am: Frankie Marie

Just got done eating dinner….My boyfriend and I enjoyed the cutlets, but believe they can be made even better. Next time I will reduce the amount of wheat gluten, add a little more water/broth (probably 1/4 cup more) and play around with the spices more. I’ll try and add more chickpeas too next time. For those of us who can’t really afford buying wheat gluten ALL the time..

• January 17, 2011 at 4:39 am: abracadabra

We had these these this evening. We had trouble getting them to cook all the way through, they were a bit soggy in the middle. My 4 yo loved them but that could be that they were a rare vehicle for ketchup (his choice of condiment, no one else’s). We will try again, playing around with cooking temp, moisture, etc.

• January 22, 2011 at 2:45 am: Anna

I didn’t use the lemon zest, and used water instead of broth (because I’m lazy) and these turned out friggin awesome. I did have soft middles in the first batch, so I made the rest thinner – a little more than 1/4″ high. Thanks Isa!

• January 31, 2011 at 1:04 am: LL

I was excited to try these but had the same bad luck as a couple of other posters–the cutlets were crisp on the outside but gooey like dough in the middle. I cooked them for the recommended length of time, but I notice the recipe doesn’t say what heat level to use. Could someone help me out with that? Should i have cooked them longer over lower heat? i ended up putting these in the oven to try to cook them all the way through–will see how that worked.

Off-topic: Also made the red-curry sweet potato purple kale soup today and it is SO good. Thanks!

• January 31, 2011 at 3:17 am: Cindy

Just made these again-they’re are my husband’s favorite entree. He thinks they are similar to chicken fried steak. I personally don’t like the texture when they are fried (a bit too doughy). So I decided to divide the dough and make them 3 ways-fried, steamed and then browned, and baked. The baked ones were the easiest and fastes to make but they were a little too dry and crunchy; the steamed ones were my favorite, chewy but not doughy and browning them on the outside gave them just a bit of crispness; my husband still likes the original fried recipe best and said the other versions tasted like health food. I guess I will just have to make “his and hers” from now on.

• February 3, 2011 at 2:25 pm: Chris

I can’t wait to try this. I’m thinking they’d make a kickass parmesan-type dish, with tomato sauce and some daiya cheese.

• February 4, 2011 at 7:37 am: keisha

i just made these today for my (non-vegan) housemates and everybody loved them! they were so simple to prepare and super yummy and filing. i’ve been a vegan for a month so far and i’m so glad to have found this recipe! i’m sure it will be a staple in my house before long.

• February 6, 2011 at 2:57 am: Sonya McCoy-Wilson

I have been pondering these for about a month now. Just made them tonight. Fabulous! I doubled the recipe before I tasted them, and I’m so glad I did. These cutlets are delicious! Great flavor! I paired them with mashed potatoes and the Veganomicon mushroom gravy. Perfect meal.

• February 13, 2011 at 1:09 am: Teni

I made these tonight and they were really gummy and chewy…it was really hard to swallow. What did I do wrong? Kneaded too much? Cutlet too thick? Will it be less gummy if I cook them in the oven? I really want to get this recipe right! It looks so good, I want to taste like they look! :)

• March 18, 2011 at 4:02 pm: Jackie

I made these last night and they were great! I pan fried them and they were nice a crispy on the outside. They were a little on the greasy side from soaking up the oil but that’s my error. I’ll definitely be making these again.

• March 21, 2011 at 1:34 pm: Karguo

I am in love with these. It was great to have to pull out a knife to eat my dinner for a change. I made them last week and am ready for another batch already. I think that next time I make them, I’ll breakout the Kitchen-Aid and let it knead the dough,

• March 31, 2011 at 1:16 am: Rachel Z

I made these and my family enjoyed them. Especially my picky little 5 year old who hates anything new so that says alot. My inly complaint is that I had a funny aftertaste in my mouth and I personally think it’s from the vital wheat gluten because I’ve had that taste before. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can avoid that? Thank you for all your great vegan recipes!

• March 31, 2011 at 1:53 am: Molly

I LOVED this. Even my Dad, who noms on ribs all day liked it! I am going to try it with the mushroom gravy next time. :)

• April 11, 2011 at 8:34 pm: kb

I made these over the weekend and added some chopped mushrooms..DELISH!…

• April 13, 2011 at 1:04 am: Shelly @ EpicOrganic.net

I’m making these weekly now, so I might as well start making the double batch and freezing ‘em! Love love love! My fave way to eat them is on an Italian roll, with Daiya and sauce… marinara… or Isa’s Sanctuary Dressing… or most recently, a vegan creamy garlic dressing… so so good!

• April 15, 2011 at 12:53 am: LG

Mine were stringy and very unpleasant to swallow. I was so sure that I followed the recipe to the letter- I’m a chef so have no problem with following cooking directions. Sure hope someone can give me a hint as to what’s wrong, because I have 6 cutlets in the freezer. I used half fine commercial breadcrumbs and half panko, because i was afraid the bread crumbs would be too fine.

• April 15, 2011 at 3:13 am: IsaChandra

Try baking the ones you have in the freezer. I find that if they come out stringy they are undercooked, so I bet they can be saved! Not sure if the panko could be the culprit.

• April 15, 2011 at 4:05 pm: LG

Thanks, probably undercooked.

• April 21, 2011 at 5:57 pm: Lisa

I love this recipe! Last time, I had a gluten-free dinner guest, so I subbed brown rice breadcrumbs and xanthum gum. They turned out great! However, I myself did not like the way my tummy reacted to the xanthum gum. So I am gonna try guar gum next time I need to make them GF. Meanwhile, for tomorrow’s bbq, and gonna make the classic recipe!

• April 24, 2011 at 12:15 am: Mary

OMG. I just made these for the first time, and I understand why everyone is wild about them!

• April 30, 2011 at 5:05 pm: Izzy

I’m in love with these, and so is my husband. He couldn’t wait to have them again. Question though, freezing – is that pre-cooking? I could seriously eat these every day. And they don’t even have soy!!

Thank you SO much for this recipe.

• May 1, 2011 at 12:53 pm: Reggie

Izzy; I make these on a regular basis and freeze them after frying them – then wrap in foil and warm up in my toaster oven. Works well for me. Others in this forum have said they freeze before cooking, so I’m guessing you could do either.

Also – anybody else tried these with a cranberry relish on the side (like omnivores with turkey dinner)? Works so well for me that if I’m pressed for time I forgo the gravy if I have cranberry or lingdonberry sauce in the fridge.

• May 14, 2011 at 1:36 am: DHD

Hi, Isa

I cant find vital wheat gluten…any suggestions on how I could use flaxseed meal (perhaps?) with any other binders?

• May 21, 2011 at 11:48 am: Sofia

Good Morning,
    My family is aiming for less gluten. Is there a replacement for the wheat gluten?

• May 24, 2011 at 2:18 am: IsaChandra

No, not in this recipe, it’s really dependent on the gluten.

• May 21, 2011 at 9:14 pm: Fiona

Do you ever make these with any other sort of beans? Thanks!

• May 24, 2011 at 2:17 am: IsaChandra

Yes, white beans are great.

• May 27, 2011 at 12:10 am: Mari

I hadn’t made these in a long time so I really enjoyed them when I made them for dinner tonight. I’m trying to cut down on sodium so used coconut aminos in place of the soy sauce and cut the olive oil in half, adding extra veg stock instead. I think they turned out really well. Next time I think I’ll use seasoned bread crumbs, omit the thyme and, after browning them, make a baked cutlet parmigiana with Daiya.

• June 7, 2011 at 5:43 pm: MoonAppleby

I just made a second batch of these today, after making them for the first time a couple of days ago from the Veganomicon cookbook. This is seriously rad stuff. I keep tempting my non-vegan parents to try it, after commenting how good the kitchen smells when I make it.

Just about the only two changes I made to this recipe, is using 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder (since I’m too lazy to use the garlic press too), and instead of thyme and sage (because I didn’t have it in the pantry), I used 1/2 teaspoon of (vegan) poultry seasoning since it had both thyme and sage in the ingredients (and a few extra, but oh well). I’m pretty sure besides the minor changes, it tastes pretty darn close to what you intended and holy smokes, I can’t get enough of it.

Another thing I like about these is its cheaper than buying processed mock-meat products. One batch (the Veganomicon recipe) gives me 4 servings of protein. A whole can of chickpeas can give me two batches of these, and I think that’s just awesome. Who says that being vegan is expensive.

I know this recipe is going to be a keeper in my house for the rest of my life as a vegan. Thanks you Isa and Terry!

• June 12, 2011 at 10:31 pm: Mat

Back again with more coments to add……..
    I have aready said that I love this reciepe, now I can expaned on way that is. First off I don’t use “plain breadcrumbs” not because I don’t want to, its because I can’t find the damn things (In a city of 100 000 people). They are either loaded with sugar or there is no sugar but they have parmesan in them!!! (My fiance is a sugar free vegan) So I use fried chicken coating, without sugar in it!?!
    It’s about 78g per package. After that the only thing I add to a normal batch is 1/2 tsp rosemary.

Now for the special batches.

Vegan Wiener Schnitzel
    Using fried chicken coating instead of breadcrumbs, substitute 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1/4 cup German beer (I use Löwenbräu) for 1/2 vegetable broth/water. Continue as normal with the recipe. Divide into 4 schnitzels, press thin. Place some breadcrumbs (or more chicken coating) on a plate, coat each side of the schnitzel. Cook for 10min on low-medium heat (3.5 on a shitty electric stove) flip and cook for another 6min. Let rest for 10min and serve with lemon wedge.
    I made this with hot apple and cabbage salad, and Laugenbrötchen (Pretzel Rolls)

Vegan Meat Balls
    Fallow the recipe as per normal but add,
    2 small onions (Chopped fine)
    4 cloves of garlic (Diced)
    3 tbsp chopped basil (Fresh is better but living in Canada so that doesn’t always work)
    1 tbsp Vegan Grated Topping (Parmesan Flavor)
    1 tsp Oregano
    Roll into balls (I get around 13-19 of em’) Cook at medium-high heat for 15-20min moving meat balls constantly.
    We have this with spaghetti (Put dried rosemary, and basil in the water you use to boil the spaghetti in) and a simple tomato sauce on top.

As I have said before I’m an omnivore, living very happily with a vegan. She has never cooked any of these recipes………. because I love doin’ it. This one single recipe has no limits, trust me.

I’m going to try Vegan Chickin Kiev tonight, using the cutletes, some tofurky slices, Daiya vegan cheese, and I’m goin to bake em’. I’ll let ya know how it goes.
    And thanks Isa……. love the Veganomicon and PPK!

• June 26, 2011 at 3:28 am: Connie

These are so delicious; thank you for this recipe! I may try baking them as well.

• June 30, 2011 at 10:13 pm: Kelsey

I love these chickpea patties. Today my husband grilled them. I made the recipe and then he just brushed the grill with olive oil and cooked them for about 20 minutes. Tasted great!

• July 3, 2011 at 5:00 pm: Geerte

This was sooooo good! Best vegan food ever for sure! Isa you’re the best best best :)

• July 21, 2011 at 1:06 am: robin

I just had a crew of 13-year-old omnivores screaming and clamoring for these. Seriously. I LOVE this recipe!

• July 28, 2011 at 1:55 am: Sabrina

This looks fantastic! I cannot wait to try them!!! Does anyone have a good recipe for mushroom gravy??

• August 3, 2011 at 11:58 pm: Sabrina

I made this over the weekend along with your mushroom gravy and it was fantastic even the meatlovers were all over it! Thank you for a wonderful dish!!!

• August 24, 2011 at 1:47 am: mary

Absolutely delicious!! I love it! I will always keep it in our house. A must have for vegans!!

• August 29, 2011 at 1:41 am: patrick

these were delicious although tasted a little heavy to me. i think i overdid the olive oil — but loved the crispy outside it gave me (one batch i added water half-way through because the pan was dry — these were not as good). i imagine they’re not quite as good baked or with the spray.

• September 6, 2011 at 11:30 pm: stacey uria

ohmygodsogood.

• September 18, 2011 at 10:20 pm: Emily

Hey I would love to make these. Is there a substitute for the Vital wheat gluten doesn’t have to be gluten free gut easy to find. I live on a small island in the Caribbean and things like xanthum gum and wheat gluten are not available down here. Any suggestions?

• September 18, 2011 at 10:21 pm: Emily

sorry just not gut

• September 24, 2011 at 11:11 pm: Jen

you can buy cheaper wheat gluten at the bulk food store….

• September 29, 2011 at 7:27 pm: Pammy

For those avoiding spendy store-bought breadcrumbs, I get mine at the Italian bakery near my house and it is around a dollar for a pond of breadcrumbs! Just a suggestion. :)

• October 8, 2011 at 10:19 pm: Nicole

We’ve made this twice so far and both times, they really turned out delicious. My husband and I are trying to make the switch to a full vegan diet and recipes like this makes that transition even easier. We tried a toasted mushroom gravy from Vegan Dad on top of these and they were awesome. My hubby likes to eat them “southern” style with a little ranch dressing.

• October 13, 2011 at 5:38 pm: Emily

Update! I am unable to get wheat gluten where I live and tried bread flour in place of it…It Worked! I don’t know what these are normally like but they tasted good and had a great texture. I kneeded them a bit longer to help the gluten form.

• October 19, 2011 at 5:12 am: Emmy

No way the lemon zest is the best part! I keep frozen lemon zest in the freezer just for these, cause I also get lazy. There really are no words to describe how awesome these are! I always use Panko breadcrumbs too. I prefer them baked with mushroom gravy, German red cabbage (from a jar – lazy!) and horseradish mashed potatoes. YUM YUM YUM!

• October 20, 2011 at 1:41 am: Diana

Oh, dear God… these are incredible. Just frackin’ incredible. I’ve been experimenting with vegan and vegetarian cuisine and this recipe tastes like a cross between my auntie’s famous turkey stuffing (which is the best thing ever) and my grandma’s vienna schnitzel, which is kind of what it looks like/feels like when cooked.

Thank you so much!

• November 12, 2011 at 2:03 pm: Megan

I live in the UK and I’m having no luck at all finding wheat gluten! I read somewhere about people using strong wholemeal bread flour (mostly for seitan)- would that work do you think?

• November 14, 2011 at 4:17 pm: kaybee

Megan, I think you can use regular flour, it just takes longer : (this is what i found when i googled): Making gluten the traditional way is time consuming. It calls for mixing 8 cups of flour with 3 to 5 cups of water and forming a dough. The dough is then kneaded and rinsed under running water to remove the wheat starch. After about 20 to 30 minutes of kneading and rinsing, which to me seems like a considerable amount of time, the resulting 2 or so cups of stretchy gluten is evident. At that point the gluten needs to be simmered in broth for at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours or more.

Im probably going to be in the same boat….I want to try making these but havent seen wheat gluten here in ireland. what about asking at a bakery where they get theirs if they use it?

• November 15, 2011 at 12:26 am: Rebecca

I didn’t really believe that these could be as amazing as every other commenter said they are…but it’s true. Upon my first bite, I immediately became a huge fan of the chickpea cutlet. My only problem was that the chickpeas didn’t incorporate into the dough very well. I think I just need to mash them a bit more next time. Regardless, even if I can never get all the chickpeas in, these cutlets were amazing, and will certainly take the place of any store-bought “chick’n patty” I used to buy. I am now a member of the Chickpea Cutlet fanclub.

• November 16, 2011 at 1:49 am: Kristy

Made these cutlets for my picky vegetarian hubby. They turned out amazing!!! He loved them and so did my even pickier 3 year old daughter!!! I changed it a bit and used Italian breadcrumbs, extra broth instead of soy sauce, herbs de province instead of the thyme, lots of garlic and a little onion powder. :)

• November 27, 2011 at 9:16 pm: Leslie

I have been reading through the comments and saw where several people have baked these. I am all about baking! At what temp and how long do you bake on each side? I am looking forward to trying this recipe out this week.

• December 1, 2011 at 2:09 am: Shawn

I was all set to bake these tonight & then discovered I was almost out of olive oil-I’d already started mashing the beans so I carried on….they still turned out as good as ever-I baked them @ 375 for about half an hour, flipping them once. I love how versatile this recipe is! (And super good with the Sexy Vegan’s green bean casserole!) Veganomicon has turned into my go-to cookbook, sometimes I read it like a funny, insightful novel….ok I’m a crazy vegan who likes real food-thx for your inspiration!

• December 2, 2011 at 1:29 am: Chris Kiss

THese were even better with dark soy sauce and bread crumbs from dark rye bread.

• December 5, 2011 at 2:22 am: jenny

i always ad-lib these with great success! tonight i used 1/2 cannelini and 1/2 chickpeas, and a few handfulls of rolled oats for the breadcrumbs. MMMMM FIBER STEAK

• December 7, 2011 at 1:33 pm: MOB

agave nectar + siracha as a dipping sauce. <3

• December 20, 2011 at 9:32 pm: lesley

I too had trouble finding vegan breadcrumbs in my local grocery store. I ended up buying melba toast and crushing it up. Worked great!

• January 2, 2012 at 9:40 pm: naomi

I made this today (have been eyeing them for while) and I was super happy with the way they came out, though I did mess up and by mistake added salt before double checking the recipe, so it was tad too salty this time. The other additions I made was to add a teaspoon of curry powder, and a little bit of smoked paprika. 2 yo and 5 yo loved them too, which was great.

I wonder though if they are just as good baked and then maybe just one minute under the broiler? I will try to do since some of the comments mention that as an alternative to pan frying. (I just hate pan frying, too labor intensive for me…)

• January 4, 2012 at 11:52 pm: Ellie

My children love these. I cook up a huge batch of chickpeas and freeze a bunch of containers with 2 cups each. Then when I want to make them one night I can just take a container out of the freezer in the morning. They are very quick to make. I use the food processor and don’t leave big bean chunks because my children prefer that. Also for some reason I think they are better with water rather than vegetable broth. Sometimes I coat them with some olive oil and bread crumbs. I bake at 375 for 30 minutes, flipping in the middle. Yum.

• January 11, 2012 at 5:24 pm: Trish

These didn’t turn out so well when I first made them, but I still made them again and again…finally, changed the vital wheat gluten to Bob’s Red Mill and they were terrific…

• January 26, 2012 at 2:03 pm: Jennifer Clement

I really look forward to making these! Do you think I could reduce or eliminate the oil to make them more “Engine 2″ friendly?

• January 26, 2012 at 5:03 pm: IsaChandra

Yes. You can completely leave out the oil and use tomato paste instead, I like em that way!

• January 28, 2012 at 2:58 am: Corey

I’ve been making bread in the food processor; do you think this recipe would work if, after pulsing the garlic and chickpeas, I switched to the bread blade in the food processor and used that to knead the dough?

• January 28, 2012 at 3:24 pm: IsaChandra

Yep.

• January 30, 2012 at 7:23 pm: Steve

I’ve made these a couple of times and really like them, but I’m not sure if they are coming out right. Mine are nice and crispy on the outside but soft on the inside. Is that how they are supposed to be, or should they be firmer like seitan?

• February 15, 2012 at 8:46 pm: Ella

Our family is Vegan and also GF. I love this recipe!
    When I began the recipe I first substituted the gluten for Bob’s Red Mill Quick Cooking Oats. I soak the oates in the half cup of veg broth while I assembled the rest. I added a little lemon juice as I did not have lemons but love the taste. Oh and I fried it in Canola oil. This was SO good that even a couple of picky kids loved this! Thanks for a great recipe and great cookbooks!!

• February 21, 2012 at 12:31 am: Sherlock

Holy hell these are good! I’ve made them twice. First batch I used the 1 cup VWG and the second batch I only used 3/4 cup. I prefer the 3/4 cup because it’s not as chewy and rubbery as the initial 1 cup. I think if anyone is going to make these they should play around with that ratio because you can still form plenty of gluten strands with the 3/4. Just a thought…

• February 21, 2012 at 12:36 am: Sherlock

Almost forgot…..USE THE LEMON ZEST! It adds so much flavor!

• February 23, 2012 at 8:22 pm: Vegan Vampire

I have made this recipe so many times! I have discovered a couple of important things: first, “Bob’s Red Mill Wheat Gluten” works way better than “Hodgson Mill’s Wheat Gluten”. Secondly, I have found letting the chickpeas sit in the oil for a little bit before mashing them makes them mash much easier and more evenly.

• February 24, 2012 at 3:49 am: Vegan Vampire

Oh, yeah, I had to go to Publix the other to get more breadcrumbs. All of the breadcrumbs they had, including panko, were not vegan, but I did discover that the Corn Flakes Crumbs are vegan! I had never seen them before!

• March 18, 2012 at 3:02 am: denise

Mine came out gooey on the inside, though I pan fried them until they were burned. I’ll give it another try because someone has made them for me before and they were great. Any suggestions?

• March 19, 2012 at 11:20 pm: Sarah

Denise, were your cutlets too thick or the heat too high? I made them last night for the first time and they came out great, followed the recipe to a ‘T.’ Mine were pretty thin, maybe about 1/4″ to 1/2″ at the thickest. I used the Hodgson Mill’s brand of vital wheat gluten and again, no problems, but I’m curious to see the difference the Bob’s Red Mill might make…I will pick some up next time I’m at WF. I can’t believe I’ve owned ‘Veganomicon’ for over two years and never tried this recipe, these cutlets are seriously good! I am the only one who will be eating them so I froze half the batch AFTER cooking (next time I’ll probably freeze before); the other half went into the fridge. I heated one up with my lunch today and I swear it tasted it even better! Definitely another staple in my house, thanks!

• April 18, 2012 at 4:36 pm: Laura

Just made these last night for myself and my partner (we are both omnivores) and they were delicious! Cooked them over medium heat, and made sure the cutlets were thin. The only change I’d make is to cut the amount of soy sauce (maybe 1/2 soy sauce 1/2 water) if using vegetable broth because they are a bit salty. Can’t get over how perfect the texture of these were!

• April 18, 2012 at 6:37 pm: Christina

I make these bad boys and then let them sit in a container of my Nonna’s tomato sauce. Try it: you will not be disappointed.

Thanks for the fantastic, classic (and classy!) recipe :-)

• April 20, 2012 at 2:40 am: Sam Wibatt

Stoves must differ a lot – I also tried medium heat (electric) and they charred almost immediately. Lowered the heat and they ended up looking pretty much just like the picture, and they were tasty! Nice texture, too. I also made mine thin, not more than about a cm thick.

I think I’ll try cooking them on an electric griddle I have. I’ve used it at 350 degrees F to make chickpea burgers before, and I imagine that will work well for these.

• April 29, 2012 at 7:22 pm: Toni

I didn’t read all of the comments but wondered if the oil is necessary in this recipe. The fat content is pretty high for me. I will bake them so as not to fry them with oil, but need to substitute out the 1/4 cup oil added to the recipe. Thanks

• April 29, 2012 at 7:24 pm: Toni

Just saw the suggestion to use tomato paste instead. Awesome!

• July 13, 2012 at 11:56 pm: kd

Simply delicious.

• August 13, 2012 at 6:02 pm: Emily

This is my new favorite recipe. I used Bragg’s instead of regular soy sauce, which I only used half of and replaced the rest with veggie broth. Same with the oil, subbed half broth. And I baked them at 375 for 20 minutes on each side, and paired them with mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy. I can’t wait to eat the rest that I froze, and even though it’s only August, I’m excited just thinking about making these for Thanksgiving.
    I also think these would make a great simple sandwich…since they kind of remind me of chicken patties.

• August 31, 2012 at 9:37 am: Leshu

These are absolutely awesome. Doubled the Veganomicon recipe, and my family loved them! The texture is great…will try baking them next time instead of just pan frying, but they were great on toasted bread with abit of mustard and some arugula and tomato; also great with a side of mashed potato. Thank you!!!

• September 1, 2012 at 3:58 pm: Sebastian

For what it’s worth, I’ve had reasonable success with homemade breadcrumbs.

• September 3, 2012 at 4:00 am: IsaChandra

Good to know!

• September 9, 2012 at 8:40 pm: ana

I made these cutlets today, they were too chewy and raw inside. Please, please help me, I would like to do it again. I followed the recipe.

• October 16, 2012 at 1:43 am: Jess

I followed the recipe exactly except for the lemon zest. I had my skillet on low and fried these until they were crispy, firm and looked identical to the pic. But it felt like I was chewing gum trying to get these down. The flavor was good, but the texture was awful. Hopefully they’ll be fine after I bake them tomorrow.

• October 20, 2012 at 1:56 pm: Melissa

I’m a very new vegan….always looking for something with chewy texture and great flavor. I’m going to make these!

• October 24, 2012 at 8:35 pm: Chrissy

these are a little on the bland side, imo, but a good vehicle for gravies and sauces and what have you.

• October 29, 2012 at 4:02 pm: ElaineFlo

not a vegan, but open to new things – these sound pretty darn good…I always have chickpeas in my pantry for hummus, so just a few more things and I’ll have them started!

• November 1, 2012 at 11:29 pm: Rita Bey

Hi could someone tell me where I might find vital wheat gluten? Thanks in advance

• November 4, 2012 at 6:42 am: Jess Aus 86

Just made these with Orgran gluten substitue (instead of the vital wheat gluten) and a combination of course polenta (corn meal) and oat bran (instead of bread crumbs) which made these wheat free, think they would have been fine with just the course polenta for a gluten free version! Taste great and very easy to make!

• November 10, 2012 at 9:04 pm: val

Chickpea cutlets check it out!

• November 21, 2012 at 11:14 pm: Michele

You are a culinary genius. I almost feel guilty eating these because they are so much like chicken. YOU ARE AWESOME

• November 23, 2012 at 3:18 am: Erica

This year was my first vegan Thanksgiving and so I was a little nervous about what I would eat, but I found these and they made my night! They were so easy, and so good! And I’m the only vegan in my family, so I have to cook a lot for myself, but I’m normally very busy, so it’s nice to have so many cutlets to put in the freezer.
    p.s. I ate them with the vegan gravy from ohsheglows, which was also very good.

• November 23, 2012 at 7:00 pm: Laura

Oh my!! These were so darn good that I found myself thinking about them the rest of the evening and what other dishes I could use them in. For the previous poster who asked where to find Vital Wheat Gluten: you can always look in the flour section of your supermarket. I have found some in Safeway as well as Walmart.
    Anyway, getting back to the cutlets lol. I have made seitan cutlets several times but this recipe is quick, easy and, IMHO, so much tastier!! Can’t wait to make them again! Thank you so much for the wonderful recipe.

• November 26, 2012 at 10:47 pm: Katy

I made these tonight! Awesome! I did a few things different though. I used 1/2 cup cooked quinoa (1 day old so it was a little dried out) and 1/2 cup rice “bread” crumbs. I also patted each top with nutritional yeast before frying. I gave it a nice toasty outside.

• December 21, 2012 at 2:57 am: Liz W

These were good but a bit doughy in the centre. I think next time I would steam or simmer them for a while before frying to make the seitan more chewy.

• December 31, 2012 at 3:49 am: Anna

I don’t consume oil. I wonder if tofu could be subbed for the oil?

• January 2, 2013 at 6:47 pm: VeganVamp

WOW…. INCREDIBLE. So easy, so budget-friendly – and an amazing dinner base when the pantry is bare!

I baked mine: 10 min @ 400º, flipped then another 5-ish minutes at 425º, and ended up flipping one last time and sticking under a lo-heat broiler for a few, just to brown up a bit more.

SCRUMPTIOUS. Just had them in a chopped salad with crunchy iceberg, leftover eggplant bacon, avocado, fresh ground pepper, and a quick dressing made from Vegenaise, chile vinegar, and a touch of Hoisin. Immediately transports me back to restaurant/steakhouse salads with warm crispy chicken strips and Ranch dressing – a former fave! THANK YOU, PPK! You make vegan living such a fab journey.

• January 4, 2013 at 1:40 am: Trish

I made these tonight for dinner with mushroom gravy. My non veg family loved them. thanks for the recipe.

• January 16, 2013 at 6:39 pm: Annalise

Made these the night before last. I gotta say, I am not a huge fan of vital wheat gluten, but these were good. Has anyone ever substituted flax or chia seeds for the gluten?

• January 30, 2013 at 1:26 pm: Elspeth

My BFF made this for me chx parm style with Daiya cheese. Most delicious vegan ‘real’ meal I’ve had in weeks. Froze the other half but no update yet. Thanks for this great recipe.

• February 20, 2013 at 7:27 pm: Steph

I finally made these on the week-end and they were sooo good. My husband said they were the vest vegan thing I have made so far and I have made alot! They reminded me of a really good grilled cheese sandwich – crispy on the outside and that ooey, melty but yet still firm texture inside, so good, thanks!

• February 22, 2013 at 12:56 am: Pnina

These are amazing!!!! I sadly used Braggs soy seasoning which made my batch much too salty, and even yet they were irresistible. I can’t wait to make the next less salty batch. Thanks so much. By the way, I used one quarter quick cooking oats as I did not have quite enough bread crumbs.

• February 26, 2013 at 11:05 pm: Becky

These are wonderful. I leave out the sage and put in Old Bay seasoning. I also freeze them after cooking and reheat in the cast-iron pan in the oven, tastes just as good as the day you make them!

• April 10, 2013 at 10:09 pm: MoniqueS

Okay, so this was my first official “vegan” recipe (as in, off a vegan site, calling itself a vegan recipe), and I LOVED it! I know it didn’t turn out quite right… I didn’t mash the chickpeas enough, and I don’t think I kneaded it correctly either (the vital wheat gluten didn’t seem to mix very evenly). Oh well, I will have to try it again. My husband wasn’t a huge fan, but I think that’s because, as I said, I didn’t make it quite right. BTW, I love your recipes, I’ve been checking them out to see what I’ll make next. Thanks so much for sharing them!

• April 14, 2013 at 8:10 am: Adey

I use this recipe as the base for a chorizo loaf. After forming the loaf I kneed for 3-5 minutes and leave to settle for 20 min before putting in a tin, topping off with 1/2 cup of pale ale and covered with foil. Bake at 180 C for 30 min covered and uncovered for the final 10 min. Removed from the oven, recover and leave to go cold, before refrigerating over night. Wonderful sliced thinly in wraps or added to salads x

• April 22, 2013 at 3:09 pm: Moon

These are my absolute favourite things ever! I’ve made them probably a hundred times now and they come out perfect each time. It’s even better with Lemon zest. Thank you so much for this recipe, it makes being a vegan all the better.

• May 6, 2013 at 12:55 am: Jessie

I’m wondering if anyone has any “gluten free” suggestions? This recipe looks awfully yummy, but I’m allergic to gluten. We make black bean burgers a lot, but we need something new. :)

• May 13, 2013 at 4:51 pm: Jordan

Oh my goodness, I made these last night and it might be my new favorite recipe! I can’t wait to eat the leftovers in the fridge!

• May 16, 2013 at 4:34 pm: Lynn Risor

Isa you simply rock.

• May 16, 2013 at 9:13 pm: IsaChandra

Oh stop!

• June 9, 2013 at 9:34 am: Justin

These are very good and much better and cheaper than paying $8 for store bought cutlets. I like to add more spices: fennel, ground ginger, pinch of chili and marjoram. I also add some sesame seeds and nutritional yeast.

• June 27, 2013 at 2:31 pm: Laura

Hi Isa, I absolutely love your recipes!! I was wondering is there a way of making this recipe gluten free?? I subbed the gluten with orgrans gluten free gluten. A little weird tasting, wonder if there is another ingredient I could use? Oh how I miss seitan as well :( anyone know of a way to make gluten free seitan? Lol. Thanks for everything.

• June 29, 2013 at 2:56 pm: lynda

can they be baked?

• July 2, 2013 at 2:32 am: Kelly

*LOVE* I have been terrified to use vital wheat gluten and finally decided to take the plunge with this recipe. I literally threw everything (after mashing the chickpeas) into my kitchen aid mixer for three minutes. (Maybe a teeny bit less) The dough looked just like the picture provided. I formed the cutlets for tomorrow, but I cooked a ‘mini sample’ to try and I am amazed at how YUMMY! I am soooo excited at how great this tastes (and easy, no more excuses for lousy processed frozen fake foods!) Thank you!

• July 8, 2013 at 3:50 am: Brenna

This is my go to recipe for “chickn’”! I make them on Thanksgiving with mashed potatoes and gravy. I make this recipe but bread them in Panko (instead of adding bread crumbs) and bake them for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees. These are even awesome at a picnic, no reheating necessary.

• July 20, 2013 at 7:13 pm: Sam

Wow, thank you so much for the recipe!!!! I made my own seitan/chick’n/whatever you want to call it for the FIRST time because of this recipe! And it turned out even better than I expected. You are the best!

• August 16, 2013 at 11:53 pm: Voz

Omg I have no idea why i had all the ingredients for this but I made them and they are amazing!!

• August 19, 2013 at 8:28 pm: roxmarie

I five-spiced these and made banh mi with the banh mi pickles from Veganomicon. WINNING

• August 23, 2013 at 12:28 am: Erica

Is there any way to make this soy free? Unfortunately, I am allergic to soy, including soy sauce. Thanks!

• August 26, 2013 at 1:08 am: Elle

These are seriously my favorite thing. My brother and I make a double batch of this at least once a week, freezing individual cutlets in wax paper and frying up two at a time. We use them for sammiches 99% of the time. Fry up the cutlets in olive oil til they’re nice and crispy, then serve em’ on some crusty bread with Vegenaise, mustard, and a heroic pile of kale omnomnomnom

Our first batch turned out pretty gummy in the middle, so for the second batch we cut the vital wheat gluten in half and subbed the rest with gluten-free flour (was all we happened to have on hand, lol) and pressed them suuuuuuper thin and they were perfect. We always switch up the spices, and once we were short on panko and just added some TVP to make up the difference. I’ve been getting gluten-free flour for em’ since they were so perfect the second time that I don’t wanna change the weirdly perfect balance between the flour and the vital wheat gluten…

• August 28, 2013 at 2:49 am: Mel J

FINALLY tried this tonight (been meaning to for ages), and how mad am I that I waited so long?! This is literally the most delicious vegan dish I have EVER made. I’m in lovelovelove.

• September 6, 2013 at 9:11 pm: Julie

I’ve made this recipe so many times I lost count!
    I have no problems with homemade breadcrumbs, just make sure your bread is very dry.

• September 7, 2013 at 11:50 pm: John Parker

I just made this recipe for dinner and it was outstanding!! For gravy, I made a basic white gravy and added crumbled vege sausage patties for flavor and extra protein.

• September 11, 2013 at 1:12 am: Randa

Do you have a gluten free version or an idea what could be used instead of wheat gluten?

• September 11, 2013 at 1:47 am: Theresa Johnson

any way to make these gluten-free? they sound yummy, but don’t want to eat that much gluten

• September 15, 2013 at 12:58 pm: Sarah

Wow! I’ll be making this again this evening (comfort food night while we watch the 9ers game).

I swear I’ve had this before in my pre-vegan days, as it was being passed off as chicken ;-)

• September 19, 2013 at 12:51 am: Susie

I’m looking forward to making this and I have some Garbonzo beans that have been soaked and cooked. Now, I am wondering what proportion of soaked/cooked beans can I use for this recipe? I know it’s different amount vs canned, but don’t know how much.

Thanks, Susie

• October 11, 2013 at 11:08 am: shakti

I find physllium husk and water for gf “gluten” just perfect.
    My cakes are done in the oven easily, they are wildly elastic!

• October 11, 2013 at 10:03 pm: Laurin

This is so good. I baked it with marinara sauce and daiya cheese.

• October 14, 2013 at 8:21 am: Commiesuchka

Ok, this might be a dumb question…but any thing I can substitute for vital wheat gluten? I live in Europe and I have looked for it and cant find it.

• October 22, 2013 at 3:57 am: Jeanette

I accidentally left out the bread crumbs and they were still darn delicious,. Even my very carnivorous husband said I could make them again.

• October 30, 2013 at 8:11 pm: louise lokamatri

i cannot find vital wheat gluten——should i knead ww flour myself????

• November 6, 2013 at 9:34 am: Eibhlin

First time I made these my boyfriend (still opposed to all things vegan) tried one warmed up and enjoyed it. He should have been there when my Cuban visitor and I devoured 6 of them fresh out of the pan!!! So I thought I would give him the chance to taste them fresh and made them again 2 days ago and yes! He really enjoyed them. “This is the best vegan “thing” you have cooked so far. “ 

Yesterday I felt like a sandwich, so I caramelised some onion slices, fried up some cremini mushrooms with some worcester sauce and stuffed a bread roll with 2 (I was hungry!) cutlets, some ketchup, and the topping. And what can I say…

Can I really eat them 3 days in a row? ;-)

Thanks for this amazing recipe!

• November 10, 2013 at 12:58 am: TeresaS

I’ve been using this recipe for awhile now. I have subbed many things in for different ingredients for varying results. I always use the peas though. They freeze up very well :)

• November 10, 2013 at 3:03 pm: TeresaS

I also wanted to share that I tried a soy sauce replacement in the batch I made last night to reduce the sodium content. I used 2 tbls of worchestershire sauce and 1 tbls of water to make a 1/4 cup and it did change the taste but in a pleasant way. These are so versatile you can add to the base of the recipe with different spices and flavors. I don’t have the Veganomicon but I’ve looked through it when I worked for Wholefoods and this recipe is great!

• November 19, 2013 at 2:28 pm: kalliope

1 16 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed

Could you please explain to me what is 1 16oz and how can I trasform it to gramms????

• November 19, 2013 at 5:15 pm: IsaChandra

1 1/2 cups?

• November 20, 2013 at 8:15 pm: kalliope

Thank you!!!!!!!

• November 23, 2013 at 5:52 am: Audrey

I love this recipe! Will definitely put wheat gluten on my shopping splurge list :)
    However, I would recommend using any other oil besides EVOO for frying, as it is not meant to handle high heats.

• November 25, 2013 at 7:57 am: Karine

Hello Isa!
    I would like to replace wheat gluten by carob gum, guar gum or xanthan gum…
    Would that be possible? If, yes, what would be your suggestion for the quantity?
    K.

• November 29, 2013 at 7:19 am: Adey

16oz is normal 250g can in Europe….

• December 18, 2013 at 2:04 pm: Mimi

Hi! Can’t wait to try these. However, I’m wondering if I can omit the Vital wheat gluten, or replace it with something else? Not intolerant to gluten, I just don’t have access to this product in my cow town. Thank you!

• January 9, 2014 at 5:52 am: LJ

Could someone point me in the direction of the mushroom gravy recipe? I’ve been scrolling and searching and cannot locate it. Thanks!

• January 9, 2014 at 5:54 am: LJ

Nevermind, just found it! (Of course.)

• February 10, 2014 at 12:55 am: Liz

Do you have a gluten free version of these?

• February 17, 2014 at 3:06 pm: Autumn

People looking for gluten free, scroll up to 10 November 2010 comments, Dawn has posted a link to her GF version. It works!

• March 8, 2014 at 7:48 pm: Agnes

This are SO good. I froze half of them to use later and they reheated great. I put them in the oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes and that was perfect to reheat and recrisp them. Thanks for such a good recipe.

• March 15, 2014 at 2:57 am: Meg

My family loves these, I just made 2 double batches just so I could have left overs.

• April 2, 2014 at 2:25 am: Donna L.

The gravy in the picture looks great. Can you give us that recipe as well?