March 17, 2013

Rice Noodle Salad With Grapefruit-Sriracha Vinaigrette

Serves 4 (Doubles well)
Active time: 30 minutes || Total time: 30 minutes

Rice Noodle Salad

If this were an item on a fancy restaurant menu it would be all: Chilled Rice Noodles In Grapefruit-Sriracha Vinaigrette. Then there would be a clean typeface listing all of the components with a classy flourish — “ruby grapefruit, sesame smoked tofu, black sesame, mint.” And then you’d be like “I’ll take three, please!”

This is a really pleasing spin on a Vietnamese noodle salad. It’s bright, fresh, zesty and studded with savory smoky flavors, too. What I love about cold noodle salads like this, is how the contrasting flavors create something otherworldly. And it’s easy on the eyes, as well. Pretty jewels of ruby red grapefruit, set off with the black sesame seeds. Wasn’t pink and black your favorite color combo in the 80s? Yes, mine, too!

The dressing on its own would be nice to keep bottled up in the fridge this spring. Is there any sweeter music to the ears than Grapefruit-Sriracha Vinaigrette?

And just one last thing. Don’t you get annoyed when your camera phone pics look better than the pics from your real camera? Such is the case here. (PS I’m on Instagram: IsaChandra.)

Cold Noodle Salad

~I used super firm tofu, because it doesn’t need to be pressed or anything, and it browns up in cast iron quickly and beautifully. You can buy it at Whole Foods or Trader Joes, for sure, and probably other places, too. And ya know, if you’re super lazy, you could just buy some smoked tofu. (While we’re at it, you can use a half block of pressed extra firm tofu instead. )

~I sliced my tofu into matchsticks that were about 1/4 inch thick and 1 1/2 inches long. You can also do a small dice, if you prefer.

~Ooh, you know what else might be good? Instead of tofu, saute chickpeas in the smokey soy mixture. I bet that’d be yummy.

~Sriracha lovers: feel free to add a little extra! It’s got some heat, obviously, but I’d say it’s like, oh, let’s say a four on the one to ten heat scale.

~I used mini cucumbers, but you can use large ones sliced into half moons, instead.

~If you’d rather a green salad, that would be delicious, too! Just replace the noodles with crisp greens.

~Two large, juicy red grapefruits will be enough for this salad. One for its juice, the other to slice into the salad.

~Diced avocado would be great on this, too! I didn’t happen to have any.

For the tofu:
8 oz super-firm tofu, sliced into thick matchsticks (see pic)
3 tablespoons soy sauce or gluten-free tamari

2 teaspoons dijon mustard
2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon agave nectar

For the salad:
8 oz pad thai rice noodles
2 mini cucumbers, thinly sliced (about a cup)
1 red grapefruit, cut into segments then halved
Black sesame seeds
1/4 cup finely sliced fresh mint
(I used sliced fresnos for garnish but, eh, you don’t need em.)

First, boil water for the noodles. While water is boiling prepare the tofu, prep veggies, and make dressing.

Prepare the tofu:
Preheat a cast iron pan over medium-high heat.

Measure the tamari, sesame oil and liquid smoke out onto a dinner plate. Dredge the tofu pieces into the mixture and toss to coat.

Spray pan with a little canola oil. Cook tofu, flipping often, until lightly to medium browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.

Prepare the noodles:
Once water has come to a boil, prepare rice noodles according to package directions, being careful not to overcook. Once noodles are tender, transfer to a colander and run under cold water to cool completely. Set aside.

Make the dressing:
Simply add all dressing ingredients to a blender and blend until very smooth. Keep chilled until ready to use.

Assemble the salad:
Toss together noodles, cucumbers, grapefruit segments and tofu. Coat with dressing, using your hands to mix (this way, you don’t break the tofu or smush the grapefruit). Garnish each individual serving with sesame seeds and mint. Serve cold!

• March 17, 2013 at 6:32 pm: Sara

This looks like one of the best dishes ever!

• March 17, 2013 at 6:37 pm: Alexander Willow Harvey

Looks insanely beautiful! Im so gonna get on that!

• March 17, 2013 at 6:54 pm: Crystal

Oh yes. This is happening for dinner this week. You ruleeeeeee, Isa.

• March 17, 2013 at 7:14 pm: wendy (healthy girls kitchen)

Oooh, I just cooked up some buckwheat noodles to make an Asian noodle salad with a vinaigrette that I have left over in my kitchen. Heading over to the Asian market to get the veggies for it. Never thought of adding fruit. What a yummy addition. Thanks Eesa!

• March 17, 2013 at 7:25 pm: Eileen

Oh man, why did I pass up the Armenian cucumbers at the farmer’s market this morning? This looks so good that I may have to make a second trip out.

• March 17, 2013 at 10:42 pm: Jill

This looks so good! And I love the shape of the plate. I already made my plan for this coming week’s meals, but next week, I’m definitely going to have to try this! With the weather warming up, this would be the perfect dish for dinner. Love your recipes!

• March 17, 2013 at 11:31 pm: Ashley

Made this for dinner tonight!! Absolutely delicious, light and refreshing. I added some chopped peanuts for garnish and loved that. Next time I may add extra tofu because the smoky flavor was excellent. I like the avocado suggestion as well. Thank you so much for this fantastic recipe!

• March 17, 2013 at 11:41 pm: Anna {Herbivore Triathlete}

I love adding citrus fruits to salads and cold noodle salads are always a treat in my opinion. I don’t think I’ve ever seen black sesame seeds in the grocery store, they add a lovely pop on the salad.

• March 18, 2013 at 2:35 am: IsaChandra

Toasted sesame seeds would be great, too.

• March 17, 2013 at 11:41 pm: Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugar

This is absolutely lovely!!

• March 18, 2013 at 2:35 am: Ashley

This looks fresh and beautiful. Yum!!

• March 18, 2013 at 2:59 pm: Nicole Leigh

You won me over with “Grapefruit- Sriracha Vinaigrette”. THIS IS GENIUS!

• March 18, 2013 at 5:15 pm: Shelley

Would another citrus work in place of the grapefruit for those that cannot eat them?

• March 18, 2013 at 5:45 pm: IsaChandra

Oranges!

• March 18, 2013 at 9:55 pm: Jenna

Oh man, I’m excited – already have almost everything for this waiting for me at home! Quick clarification: is the dressing as is a 4/10 on the heat scale, or is that if I add additional Sriracha? I’m about a 2/10 and want to be able to adjust accordingly. Thanks!

• March 19, 2013 at 12:17 am: Candace

I want to make this soooo bad, but I actually can’t have grapefruit. And that’s a terrible thing, I miss it. Can you think of something that would be a good substitute for grapefruit in this recipe?

• March 19, 2013 at 1:52 am: AshYTim

LOVE that bowl! And I must make this soon!

• March 19, 2013 at 3:24 pm: Jennifer

This is so happening this week! Amazing!

• March 20, 2013 at 4:11 pm: erin

i also cannot have grapefruit :( good substitution?

• March 20, 2013 at 4:24 pm: IsaChandra

Oranges! Or blood oranges.

• March 20, 2013 at 6:23 pm: Kristin

Just made this for lunch as a salad – over a baby spring mix instead of noodles. It is SO good! I only had regular sesame seeds, and canola oil (instead of grapeseed), and I put way extra sriracha in (love hot things) – all good still. Thanks for an amazing salad that promises to be a spring/summer favorite! PS: Added bonus – my mint started coming in this week, so this is officially the first thing I’ve made using my garden :) I had just enough with its tiny little spring leaves

• March 23, 2013 at 5:09 am: Wannabevegan

Dont delay! Make this now! I made this and I cannot wait to make it again. Smoky savory tofu meets cool sweet grapefruit and cukes, tied together with spicy citrusy Sriracha vinaigrette. Wow. Was unsure about using the liquid smoke, but now I don’t know why I don’t use it more often! I doubled the sauce for the tofu, and cooked the whole block so I would have leftovers. I also subbed cilantro for mint, and udon noodles for the rice noods. Outstanding fresh flavor combos. Thanks Isa!

• March 23, 2013 at 3:57 pm: IsaChandra

Yay, thanks for the feedback!

• March 27, 2013 at 3:20 pm: Tina

Very yummy, tried it on Monday.

• March 29, 2013 at 12:17 pm: Katrina

I just made this with oranges instead of grapefruits since I had a bunch sitting aroundthat I needed to use up. This was delicious! A bit spicy for my taste, so I’ll use less srirachi sauce next time but I’ll be making this again. Thanks for the recipe!

• April 2, 2013 at 6:19 pm: AprilAnnie

Why can’t I find liquid smoke at the grocery store?? Spice aisle, right? Maybe it’s too Wonder bread around here….ugh! What can I use instead? Thanks!

• April 14, 2013 at 3:44 am: Alice in Veganland

Cooked it – loved it. Now I’m thinking of serving it to guests as a salad accompanied by a main dish. Any suggestions on what it would be great with?

• April 19, 2013 at 7:15 pm: Amy

I made this with grapefruit from a jar, as well as garlic and ginger from jars, and it was still delicious!! The fresh mint is crucial!

• April 19, 2013 at 8:21 pm: Catherine Hansford

Has anyone calculated the calories in this (or am I going to have to do it)?

• April 28, 2013 at 9:49 pm: Amy

On a separate occasion, I did marinate and roast chickpeas with the marinade, and they are great! I sprinkled a little sesame seeds and sea salt on too… would be great in this dish or any salad.

• May 2, 2013 at 11:13 pm: Jo Anna

I wanted a new, solid reason to grow mint on the balcony this year. Just found it – thanks!

• May 5, 2013 at 12:58 am: Beylan

I made this on a fabulous Seattle day. It’s as pretty as it is tasty and it’s very pretty. I used maifun rice sticks and grilled my tofu. Fabulous!

• May 15, 2013 at 1:41 am: Jo Anna

I made this (with lots less Sriracha because I’m a sissy not a hottie!) – it was so fresh and delicious – our WF was still stocking red grapefruit last week. With 18 ingredients, it’s going into the “special occasion” file if making it exactly as written (which was sooooooogoood!). I’ll see what tweaks may get a similar result with fewer parts – Dressing, I’m looking at you. Thank you for this restaurant-quality recipe!

• May 29, 2013 at 4:13 am: Yasmin

This is the right web site for anybody who really wants to understand this
    topic. You understand so much its almost tough to
    argue with you (not that I really will need to…HaHa). You certainly put a brand new spin
    on a topic that has been discussed for a long time. Excellent stuff, just great!

• June 25, 2013 at 1:11 am: kt

Made this with chickpeas instead of tofu. This is going to be a new staple. Soooo good

• June 26, 2013 at 6:23 pm: Tricia

Is it possible to buy sriracha sauce without all the bad ingredients?

• July 14, 2013 at 5:14 pm: Victoria

I must warn everyone about this dish! I made it with the intention of having leftovers for lunch but I couldn’t leave it alone once it was in the fridge. I kept going back for ‘just one more bite”. I at the whole salad in one evening!! Maybe next time I should make double…

• September 1, 2013 at 7:21 pm: Jenn

Made this last night, delicious!! Such a great combination of flavors and textures.

• December 5, 2013 at 7:48 pm: high pay out

I do not even know the way I finished up right here,
    but I believed this put up used to be great.
    I do not understand who you are but certainly you are going to a
    famous blogger in the event you are not already.
    Cheers!

• January 11, 2014 at 11:25 pm: Torrent Download

You actually make it seem so easy along with your presentation however I
    find this topic to be really one thing that I believe I would by no means understand.
    It seems too complex and extremely huge for me.
    I’m having a look forward on your subsequent post, I will try
    to get the grasp of it!

• January 12, 2014 at 3:38 am: how to lose weight

continuously i used to read smaller posts which as well clear their motive, and that is also happening with this
    article which I am reading at this place.

• February 12, 2014 at 11:34 pm: Shelley

This was SO ridiculously good. Reminds me of the rice noodle salad that is in ‘Appetite for Reduction’. It’s super easy to make and the tofu is insane. We have a blizzard going on outside and we are still devouring this cold dish. Thank you thank you.

• April 7, 2014 at 10:17 pm: Boyce

Ahaa, its nice dialogue concerning this paragraph at this place at this website, I have read all that, so at this time me also commenting here.

• April 14, 2014 at 4:10 pm: Francine Frigault

puis avoir la recette de la vinaigrette utilisé pour la recette tofu au pamplemousse s.v.p. merci beaucoup !

• June 7, 2014 at 3:43 pm: Lori

I have most of your cookbooks. This is my absolute all-time, absolute favorite recipe of yours. I made it three weeks in a row with different pastas, and I’m sharing it with my parents this weekend. DELICIOUS!!!!!! thanks!!

• July 7, 2014 at 4:05 pm: Julia Gonzalez

It’s what’s for dinner — thank you, Isa! I’m going to make a few little tweaks — adding a little peanut butter to the tofu and serving the whole thing on a bed of lettuce.

• July 14, 2014 at 1:27 pm: apc

Gwoli homo w eskapadzie, jacy są potem zdenerwowany ich pecety uzdrowienia tudzież
    użytkowości, umiejące program filtrowania poprzez freeware, jaki
    pracuje, aby pecet gwałtem chyba żyć najgenialniejszym wyjściem
    dla nich. Atoli są wyraziste, pożyteczne zaś pobierz wolne
    sposoby-przyspieszenie komputera, poszczególne oręże kąpiące oferują pojedynczy
    akcent, zaś choćby schematyczne kąpanie cofnięcia dla twojego blaszaka.

Co owe harmonogramy przetrzeć? No w sentencji, niniejsze nie
    globalne kluczowe zajęcia przymusowe do wykonania, przypadkiem przepłukać dodatkowo wyrównać blaszak
    do optymalizacji fasonu, jednolite natomiast obalić niezasadne zaś niestosowane zwitki, genezę Internetu również przeglądu.
    Ogólne współczesne kwestii są nachylony,
    żebym komputer chyżo, co przyklaskuje chorować banalną pora formuje bliskie zajęcia.

• July 30, 2014 at 7:26 am: Prices For Longchamp Bags

Prices For Longchamp Bags Paris Longchamp Store
    ahSEo Sì, a volte si guadagna accanto al suo vecchio equipaggio, quindi sia i sensori o posizioni
    di comunicazione sono liberi a causa di infortunio o malattia,
    ma questi viaggi lentamente cresceva sempre meno frequenti come ha seguito le orme dei
    suoi genitori ed è entrato nel regno di musica. Conosciuto per la sua
    abilità con gli strumenti e sintetizzatori, unendo Naomi comporre e remixare musica
    da videogiochi, creando un seguito di culto tra gli
    adolescenti sotto la RegulaNazz pseudonimo, oltre a presenze regolari con entrambi
    i gruppi parentali e Starlight Drago, una band due
    pezzi composto da Manic Hedgehog Sonia . Paris Hippodrome De Longchamp Cheap Longchamp Le Pliage
    2013 Longchamp Bags sXFal Ma se mi chiedete, dico
    io! Ballet shoes solo perché non possono
    utilizzare il terreno può essere bagnato! Ora non ho nulla contro ballerine.
    Infatti, ora usarle (ma io sono un abito lungo, treno e non indossare il velo).
    Sale Longchamp Bags Longchamp Reptiligne Shoes 2013 Longchamp Bags naKSq In aggiunta ai servizi professionali necessari, quelli
    che non sarebbero in vendita. Se si desidera che il bernoccolo sulla rimosso da un chirurgo plastico il naso, o se si desidera
    che il divario tra i due denti anteriori chiuse da un ortodontista,
    non aspettare. Longchamp Purple Bag Sale Longchamp Bags EXBYr Se
    avete i piedi larghi o stretti a trovare le scarpe giuste
    può essere un compito scoraggiante. Ho grandi piedi aije, si dovrebbe sapere, ma
    per essere un corpo di 30 anni, il gorilla media è corretto
    perché ho anche creato problemi a trovare vestiti adatti ad un più alto!
    Si può” t devono andare agli estremi con le scarpe
    speciali per la misura adeguata. Purple Longchamp Le Pliage Large Paris Longchamp Le Pliage
    gZjHX Rispondi a questo commento da InTheBiz 9 ottobre 2012
    14:09 AM EDT Penso che quello che alcune persone potrebbero non rendersi
    conto alcuni dei dettagli che vanno in alcuni,
    non tutte le linee di Luxottica vettore. Ad esempio, per impostare i
    blocchi dei telai singolarmente singolarmente o infilare la pelle in una Chanel dalla mano perfettamente.

Longchamp Stores In Us Longchamp Pliage Bag Sizes ACxbQ Quante
    persone possono vedere i progressi di push up e vedere quanto
    tempo, solo per mostrare alla gente come vengono, è possibile mantenere
    il mento. Offriamo premi e parti citazioni
    divertenti gente ha detto la sessione. Longchamp Bags
    For Cheap Longchamp Le Pliage Weekender axOvA Lastre in gres smaltato a farfalla sono mostrati
    in blu Ballard, verde e bianco ed è di $ 24 per una
    serie di quattro. I tovaglioli voile di perline e tovagliette
    di bambù disponibili a soli negozi West Elm.
    Longchamp Le Pliage Rectangle Tote 2013 Longchamp Bags Outlet Store Online Longchamp Handbag Organizer
    2013 Longchamp Bags oAGdX Il loro interesse
    riflette il periodo intenso e bello della Chiesa sta vivendo in questo momento, ha detto Lombardi.
    Sentire il livello di intensità l’attesa.

• August 25, 2014 at 1:22 am: Tracey Christianson

I made this for dinner tonight. The sauce was delicious. I wish it could be a tad creamier. Any suggestions? The tofu marinade was so tasty. I just bought your book and look forward to trying the next recipe. What is your favorite?