July 9, 2013

Chickpea Salad Sammiches

Makes enough for 4 sandwiches
Total time: 10 minutes || Active time: 10 minutes

Chickpea Salad Sammiches

“Um, Isa?”

“Yes, Internet?”

“Do you think we’re stupid?”

“What?”

“Don’t.”

What???!

“Let’s not play this game. Just write your childish Chickpea Salad Sammich post, as difficult as we’re sure it will be, and then  maybe we can move on to matters that require a little more brainpower. Like, I don’t know, tying our shoes, or a game of tic-tac-toe, or I know, let’s count to ten*!”

OK, I get it. Why don’t I just put up a recipe for Peanut Butter And Jelly. But, listen.

Not everybody knows! Not EVERYBODY knows that you can mash chickpeas up, just like tuna, and it is fanfreakintabulous. You can throw it on some whole wheat bread with tomato and lettuce and it will taste like childhood, but better. Most people, yes, but not everybody knows. And so I’m here to spread the word. Not to you. Of course YOU are brilliant and you’ve known this forever and maybe you even invented it you’re so freaking smart. But this is for the lost souls in the far corners of the internet. If you don’t know, now you know.

*OMG why is the internet so mean??!

This post is part of my Homemade Mayo series, where I’m highlighting a few basic recipes that call for mayo. However, you can use storebought, if you like!

~You can really dress this up or down. This is the recipe at its most basic. Add some dried seaweed for a more fishy taste. Add some chopped sunflower seeds for more bite. A curried chickpea salad? Sure! Add a tablespoon of curry powder and some red grape halves.

~You can accomplish this recipe in a food processor if you prefer it to a cutting board. First, process the chickpeas into a chunky mash. Do NOT puree. This isn’t hummus. Transfer to a bowl. Now process the carrots and celery into small pieces. Add to the bowl. Throw in everything else. Yum!

1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (a 15 oz can rinsed and drained)
1/4 cup vegan mayo, homemade or storebought
1 medium carrot, peeled and very finely chopped (almost minced)
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
2 tablespoons onion flakes
Salt and pepper to taste

For the sammiches:
Sliced tomatoes
Romaine lettuce
Whole wheat bread
Extra mayo for a’spreadin

In a mixing bowl, use an avocado masher or a strong fork to mash the chickpeas well. They should retain some of their texture and not appear pureed. A few whole ones left are ok.

Mix in the mayo and give a few more mashes. Mix in the carrot, celery and onion flakes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Assemble into sandwiches, toasted or not, and serve sliced in half.

• July 9, 2013 at 11:13 pm: kmbjbb

This is a fantastic recipe. I have been using it, but, I use my food processor. Carrots first, then 1/4 of a fresh onion, then celery, then the chickpeas. I do each separately and the chickpeas are just a coarse chop for most of the family, but for hubby, they are a little more pureed (he has no teeth). Totally wonderful and I never have leftovers.

• July 9, 2013 at 11:17 pm: Mary Ciesynski

Yummy yummy yummy I’ve got chickpeas in my tummy and I’m feelin’ a really fi-ine. Thanks for the recipe Isa!

• July 9, 2013 at 11:23 pm: Jody

Dill! Fresh dill adds a lot of flavor to this. I eat it all the time. Thanks!

• July 9, 2013 at 11:47 pm: chels

sammiches: they good.

• July 10, 2013 at 12:04 am: Lindsay

I’m one of the people for whom this recipe has not occurred to. THANK YOU! It’s brilliant.

• July 10, 2013 at 12:09 am: Stacey

I make something very similar, but use yogurt and lemon juice instead of mayo, and add scallions and minced garlic. This is also a great stand in for curried “chicken” salad.

• July 10, 2013 at 12:27 am: Anne

Isa, you read my mind! I planned to make these for dinner before I read this. Must be your magic vegan superpowers! :-)

• July 10, 2013 at 12:46 am: Grae

These look and sound great, and your post about them was brilliant! I make a similar chickpea salad and add 1/2 tsp kelp powder and a little Old Bay Seasoning, and it really seems to ramp up the “fishy” tuna-ish-ness. Can’t wait to make your vegan mayo and make some chickpea salad sammys. Thanks for posting this! :)

• July 10, 2013 at 12:56 am: jude

Curry powder makes it taste even more zippy!!! Also add lemon juice and minced garlic. To die for!!!

• July 10, 2013 at 12:58 am: dawn k

Yay! Lunch tomorrow. Sorted!

• July 10, 2013 at 1:17 am: Kirsten

I have never had this and am really excited to try it out! Thanks for helping me to mix up my boring lunches. Love your site and your books. Looking forward to your new book. Thank you!

• July 10, 2013 at 2:54 am: IsaChandra

Thanks! My new book is looking forward to you :)

• July 10, 2013 at 1:21 am: Valerie

You reached me! These are definitely going on my list.

• July 10, 2013 at 1:56 am: Melissa

A pastry cutter is perfect for mashing those chickpeas, too. I like to add a bit of pickle relish, and sometimes a handful or two of cashew pieces. I never thought to add seaweed – that is brilliant!

• July 10, 2013 at 2:43 am: IsaChandra

That is such a good tip, thank you! (that pastry cutter one)

• July 10, 2013 at 2:38 am: KimS

I didn’t know!

• July 10, 2013 at 3:02 am: ambo

Isa I am with your sister… I HATE mayo. The smell, texture, everything about it – vegan or not. But I also love chickpeas and mashing them up in a sammich sounds so delish that I am going to ask a stupid question. Can you think of any other binders other than your beloved mayo that could work as a sub?
    THANKS!

• July 10, 2013 at 3:03 am: IsaChandra

Yeah, actually! I’ve done it with tahini dressing at it’s uhmazing.

• July 10, 2013 at 3:27 am: Cami

So I really want to like chickpeas. But the clear outer coating that is on them stops me. Do they all have this? I am clearly not an expert at chickpeas. When I mash them up in recipes like this I end up with mashed chickpeas with a bunch of clear shells. And I can’t stand that. Any advice?

• July 10, 2013 at 4:18 am: IsaChandra

If you mash enough, that outer layer should be mashed, too. Perhaps…mash more? Plus, once you get the mayo and everything in there, it should all be mushy and delicious. The outer layer will be non-existent. People do peel em, though. It just takes forever.

• July 10, 2013 at 3:41 am: RauntandRave

Dear Mean Internet: Thank you for being mean, but only this once. I, for one, DID NOT KNOW that this could be/should be/is gonna be DONE. Wahooie! Signed, Nice Reader

• July 10, 2013 at 3:43 am: noemievelyn

This lost soul thanks you! Absolutely amazing!!! =)

• July 10, 2013 at 5:45 am: Cressy

Isa, I am one of the idiots on the internet! When I saw the pics of this sammich on twitter I drooled and searched your site for the recipe. I did guess the chickpeas and mayo part (duh!) but wouldn’t have guessed the rest. So thank you for remembering the lowest common denominator and posting this recipe. The internet worships you accordingly (well me anyway – which I guess is less cool).

• July 10, 2013 at 6:38 am: Sarojini

Yes, I knew but I never tried making it before- so thanks for giving your version. Much as I always hated any kind of fish, I’m sure this is delicious :)

• July 10, 2013 at 7:27 am: Adey

yuck. are you trying to poison me? celery, seriously? *retch* why would you?

• July 10, 2013 at 3:02 pm: IsaChandra

Hee hee, I’ve become a convert in the last few years.

• July 10, 2013 at 8:31 am: leaca

This looks delicious. Definitely adding it to my menu soon. I am not a vegetarian but I love your recipes. I can even get my husband to eat them. Thanks for the work that is put into this.

• July 10, 2013 at 8:37 am: Emma

Haha, you crack me up! You’re so right though, not everybody knows at all and we need to spread the chickpea salad sammie love. This is a great base recipe that people can add their own herbs, seasonings and whatnot to.

• July 10, 2013 at 9:36 am: Harriet

This recipe looks good – such a filling and nutritious sammich filling! Love me some sammiches!

• July 10, 2013 at 3:27 pm: Sandy

I’ve never heard of an avocado masher before. I MUST try this recipe tho. Big thanks for posting!

• July 10, 2013 at 8:29 pm: Suze

Love it! Made this for my husband and he was amazed how close it taste to a tuna salad sandwich. While he eats it, he is saying ” brilliant, brilliant idea” Your awesome idea makes my life easier because I now have another idea for something to make for lunch or anytime.

• July 10, 2013 at 8:48 pm: rogue1

Bwhahaha. I’m going to a birthday lunch tomorrow and I’m going to bring a container of this and throwing it on top of my salad.

• July 10, 2013 at 9:08 pm: Ashley

I would be one of the people this recipe has never occurred to before! I just started eating vegan about two weeks ago, and I’ve been scouring different blogs looking for some super-easy recipes to replace my old go-to’s. Thank you for some awesome ideas- I can’t wait to try this!

• July 10, 2013 at 10:51 pm: Elizabeth@Thebackyardlemontree

Chickpeas are ever versatile and smashed chickpeas are always good served with tabouli it’s like the ultimate summer sanga. For the mayo-phobic out there, Smitten Kitchen has a smashed chickpea sandwich that is rather fabulous too. http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/01/smashed-chickpea-salad/

• July 11, 2013 at 3:36 am: Martha

It’s so good to know that someone else knows how to spell sammich!

• July 11, 2013 at 1:34 pm: Beth

I did not know about chickpea salad! Thank you!!

• July 11, 2013 at 2:34 pm: Jennifer B

Even chickpea devotees need to be remind of the simple things. Yum.

• July 11, 2013 at 4:58 pm: Maita

Mind blown.
    I didn’t even realize that tuna salad was texture-wise so special, until I tried this!

(I used sprouted chickpeas, hehe! And a mashed-avo-pseudonaise because I was lazy. But the chickpeas + veg in tangy creamy goop was just like tuna salad, only better. I’m going to be eating this every day for the next month, at least. So good!)

• July 11, 2013 at 5:25 pm: Cory

Thank you! I’ve been making a much blander version of this for a while now. I didn’t know to add onion flakes for enhanced flavor. Maybe I’ll have to try adding a little dill to it too.

• July 11, 2013 at 6:31 pm: mike

did this and wrapped them in large spinich leaves, or butter lettuce leaves, very good

• July 11, 2013 at 10:31 pm: Lauren Lewis

I made this tonight for dinner and served rolled up in fresh romaine lettuce wraps. This was so good!!!! Thank you for adding a new dish my summer rotation!

• July 12, 2013 at 12:37 pm: Tami

As a fairly new vegan – thank you! I’ve been looking for some quick recipes. I’ve found it a little challenging as a full-time working mom to make meals that don’t require a lot of prep and cooking time. I honestly don’t think I would have made it successfully these past 7 months without YOU!! And continue to stand up to that pesky internet…for the sake of new vegans everywhere!

• July 12, 2013 at 1:20 pm: alclcal

made this last night and loved it! i’m sure it will become a regular lunch meal

• July 12, 2013 at 3:26 pm: Rachel

So good! I added crushed seaweed and celery seeds and it tasted just like the old tuna salad I used to make! Thanks for the recipe!

• July 12, 2013 at 5:17 pm: JennO

Isa delivers again!
    It’s like I traveled back to when I was blissfully ignorant (only 2 years ago)…chowin’ down egg salad…tuna salad…or chicken salad…I am in heaven. 5 minute prep with the processor. Served it up on toasted seeded Italian to be especially decadent. Thank you for educating those of us who never thought to do this…AKA me!

• July 13, 2013 at 3:22 pm: Marie

I appreciate you posting this! I trust PPK more than the internets.

• July 13, 2013 at 10:22 pm: ----

I DIDN’T KNOW!!! I’m new to vegan food! Quit being so mean, innernet!

• July 13, 2013 at 10:26 pm: Miranda

I deviated and made this on some of that wheat-white stuff, and it brought me straight back to the tuna salad of my childhood. Delicious. Super soft bread, mayonaissey filling…This really hit the spot for a summer lunch. Thanks again, Isa!

• July 14, 2013 at 2:03 am: Erica

My 8 year old daughter was looking over my shoulder as pulled up this recipe and smartly taunted – “Mom, you can’t eat that.” in a sing-song way. I asked why not and she kept on singing: “You don’t eat meat – so you can’t eat that”. I sang right back “This has no meat – not even in the mayonnaise, which usually has eggs”.

Score:
    Mom: 1
    Smarty-Pants Daughter: 0

• July 15, 2013 at 3:30 am: Jaime

Ok yes. i am one of those who have eaten chickpeas every way to Sunday and have never had this! Thank you!

• July 15, 2013 at 5:29 pm: Kim

Get Out! I am another for whom this did not occur and I do not know why! I am off t try it now, as I already love chickpea cutlets!

• July 15, 2013 at 6:36 pm: michi

thanks for posting this recipe, i know it’s basic, but i like having something to start from. a local vegan sandwich place adds artichoke hearts to their sandwich…i’m going to try it here

• July 16, 2013 at 12:38 am: Kelsey

For those anti-celery people, I just made this with cucumbers–it was a perfect substitute!

• July 16, 2013 at 5:19 pm: Galina Morrissett

Isa, I really enjoy your recipes! Both reading and trying :) I am not a vegan, but love lots of vegetarian dishes. Might be a stupid question, but thought i would ask anyway – can i substitute mayo with say greek yogurt? Thank you and keep creating!!! You are awesome!
    Ha! Just looked through comments and found my answer! tahini. Thanks again!

• July 16, 2013 at 9:55 pm: Carmen

so i make this a lot with dried beans, and in m y experience it’s really important to cook them very well or they just won’t mash into a good consistency. they stay too much like the consistency of falafel otherwise.

i also saw a commenter doesn’t like the chickpea ‘skins.’ well, it’s a pain, but if you soak them well, then blanch them, you can remove the skins. some will float off, but the rest have to be done by hand. it takes a few minutes but it does result in a better endpoint in my opinion. i definitely skip this step most of the time though.

• July 17, 2013 at 2:39 pm: PattiG

I love seeing recipes that remind me how easy it is to make quick satisfying vegetarian AND that require ingredients that I can get at any local store. Thank youl.

• July 17, 2013 at 5:26 pm: Julia

This is so good! I tried it with the curry powder like you suggested, and I used garlic powder instead of onion powder.

Also, I make the mayo with olive oil instead of grapeseed oil because I’m cheap and I always have a huge bottle of olive oil around.

But all around, a delicious recipe!

• July 17, 2013 at 5:55 pm: Mindy

omg, this looks SO GOOD! Thank you for this recipe!

• July 18, 2013 at 5:39 am: Ale V

For an even healthier twist you can also use raw chickpea sproouts instead of cooked ones! (soak them overnight- rinse- drain 8 hours. Repeat rinse-drain optional). It is just as soft and seriously tastes like tuna salad!!!

• July 18, 2013 at 8:28 am: KingBecky

I made this last night, and I have to say that it really reminded me of tuna, amazing and so easy! Thank you thank you, this will defo become something that I make up for sandwiches and keep in the fridge! How long do you think it would keep for?

ps. I am one of those lost souls that you speak about, so thank you again!

• July 18, 2013 at 3:19 pm: Robin F.

I made this last weekend and I know every vegan knows how to make a chickpea salad sandwich but this recipe is by far the easiest and my favorite! There’s something about the onion flakes that really take it home for me. I did not make the homemade mayo recipe (I am doing that right now!) but I did use grapeseed Vegenaise. This will be my go-to sandwich recipe when I need something in a flash!

• July 19, 2013 at 1:27 am: Cora

Awesome, adaptable recipe, as usual. Using a food processor this takes no time at all. I added red onion and fresh dill to the mix – delightful.

• July 19, 2013 at 5:36 pm: Lynn

We’re just beginning our vegan journey, so I didn’t have a clue. Thanks for posting!

• July 20, 2013 at 4:39 pm: Jeana

Isa, I didn’t know. and now that I do, my life is so much better. you just saved me from buying half the grocery store because I didn’t have to shop hungry! I’m eating it with some Cool Slaw and couldn’t be happier. You are the greatest cook ever!

• July 21, 2013 at 10:04 pm: Lisa

Isa,

I did not know! Thanks for posting even this simple little recipe for those of us who are just figuring it out. Munchin’ on my delicious sandwich as I type this. Thank you!

• July 21, 2013 at 10:19 pm: Andrew

Love it! I added some sunflower seeds and a bit of kelp seasoning, as suggested. I also added a tsp or so of red miso, and it the result was oustanding. The miso added some necessary saltiness as well as a really cool, funky depth of flavor.

• July 22, 2013 at 2:21 am: Becky

I have taken your brilliance to another recipe. I have a recipe for Tuna and Noodle Casserole (which is a favorite from my childhood) that called for faux fish. I tried it with mashed chickpeas instead. DELICIOUS! Thank you for suggesting the awesomeness that is “mashed chickpeas > tuna”. It’s true and tastes great! You rock, Isa!

• July 22, 2013 at 5:46 pm: IsaChandra

Cool! I’ve done chickypeas in a tuna noodle casserole and it was great. Glad it worked for ya!

• July 26, 2013 at 3:42 pm: Corwin

I usually add minced red onion instead of onion flakes. Also, nooch and dill, because that’s how I like it. Sometimes seaweed if I’m feeling fishy. The great thing about this recipe is it’s so simple and takes well to whatever you want to add. Sometimes I substitute steamed, crumbled tempeh for the mashed chickpeas.

• July 29, 2013 at 7:09 am: doc

I didn’t know about the mashed chickpeas trick… THANK YOU SO MUCH.

• July 30, 2013 at 1:36 pm: A

Well since this is a sub for tuna salad, we added apples (since grapes are for chicken salad). EITHER WAY… I never eat leftovers. I ate all of these leftovers. I even got jealous of my husband when he would eat some. “You never eat leftovers.”

“I’ll eat the hell out of these leftovers.”

• July 31, 2013 at 12:31 am: Tjirl

Yummy :) my boys really liked this. And it is super easy top make!

• August 1, 2013 at 12:42 am: Genevieve

For Ambo: You could use avocado as a binder instead of mayo. I’ve seen people use avocado for chicken or tuna salad, so i bet it would be delicious in the chickpea salad also.

• August 4, 2013 at 1:41 am: Rachel

So good! I added pickles and a touch of pickle juice to make it more like tuna salad sandwiches I remember. Yumm!

• August 5, 2013 at 4:46 am: Jessica

I didn’t know! Neither did my tuna loving, chickpea hating husband when I gave it to him on a sandwich. He knew it wasn’t tuna but even he agreed it was a great analog. Thanks Isa for sharing. :-)

• August 5, 2013 at 1:00 pm: MissBear

I made this and despite forgetting the onion flakes it was delicious, took me right back to my much missed moms house, eating tuna salad sandwiches and being a teenager (am now 34 and missing her very much lately!). I added a further dash of vinegar to tart/tang it up a little.

Now I have the urge to replicate 2 of her other dishes. One was her “gourmet” tuna sandwich which was whole meal bread, tuna, mayo, white onion, salt, pepper and iceberg (heaven), and a Delia Smith tuna and brown rice salad with capers and parsley.

I haven’t wanted to eat meat despite missing her recipes, but thanks to you I can now come lose to replicating some of my favourites without cruelty and needless death.

• August 6, 2013 at 4:49 pm: Paula

Thanks for this delicious recipe! I adapted it to be heartburn-friendly (and added rosemary) — http://lowacidyum.wordpress.com/2013/08/04/rosemary-chickpea-mash/

And I didn’t know about subbing chickpeas for tuna on a sandwich :)

• August 6, 2013 at 9:55 pm: Tanja

Super yummy! Thanks! Pickled artichoke hearts and/or capers in there really kick up the tuna feeling even more.

• August 7, 2013 at 4:40 pm: Dre

I have been using cashews and almonds (after being soaked in water) as a tuna replacer…but this is so much easier, quicker, and just all around better! I didn’t know!..so thank you Isa, the internet can suck it. You rock! =)

-Dre

• August 11, 2013 at 1:50 pm: Charlotte

yes! tuna smells like cat food. Chickpeas and mayo (and hot sauce, and pickled carrots) is much more my style. Oh yeah kinda made a mash up of this and tofu bahn-mi.. IT WAS AWESOME. My old tofu.. not so awesome, hence chickpeas – omni bf had 3 sandwiches and asked for them again the next night. Thanks!

• August 11, 2013 at 6:42 pm: Jeanne

This is a great recipe! I soak/cook my own beans. It would be very ease to remove the outer covering while they are at room temp.( I’m a crazy Virgo…this is not a problem for me! ) I love that you can make your own flavors….herby with veg, curry, ect. My husband LOVED it in a wrap. This would be great airplane food when traveling or a road trip. Thanks for the Vegan voice!

• August 13, 2013 at 1:40 am: Cat

I’ve been aware of chickpea salad, but in over three years of being vegan, hadn’t gotten around to trying it. Until tonight. I can’t believe I waited this long!! So, so yummy! I can’t wait to try it as a melt with some cheddar Daiya. Nom nom.

• August 15, 2013 at 2:05 am: Kay

I just found this blog and THANK YOU! I had no idea you could do this with chickpeas.

• August 17, 2013 at 4:13 am: AEBM

Made it! Super delicious- I used my dad’s old tuna-salad seasoning recipe and it was bowl-licking good. To the base recipe I added curry, turmeric, a pinch of garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, (all 1/4 tsp. or less), salt, pepper, a few tablespoons of dill relish, 1/4 cup red onion diced very small, and a sprinkle of smoked paprika on the top of each sandwich. Soooo good. And I’ve missed it because I’ve never found a good vegetarian recipe to recreate my dad’s masterpiece. Thanks!

• August 18, 2013 at 5:50 pm: Laurie

This is amazing. I added dill as well. This will become a staple in my house. Thank you for posting this!

• August 21, 2013 at 7:26 pm: Karen

I just made this. I didn’t change a damn thing about the recipe-only added fresh onion instead. What I love about this is that I had frozen, cooked chickpeas that I had pre-measured into 1 and 1/2 cup portions for making hummus (because I overlooked them and they were a bit mushy). I just unthawed them in the fridge, mixed them with the mayo, them finely minced the ingredients one by one in the processor, added them, cracked pepper, salt. It was a snap-and so good. I never thought anything would come close to satisfying my craving for egg salad. Holy shit! This is delicious!!

• August 21, 2013 at 7:28 pm: Karen

*overcooked

• August 21, 2013 at 8:42 pm: Eileen

OMG, i LOVE you for this recipe alone!! I just made it and it was just what I’ve been looking for for a quick, satisfying sandwich. I’m finally transitioning to a plant-based diet, and this chickpea salad will be perfect for when I’m in the mood for something akin to egg salad or chicken salad. Thank youuuuuu!!!

• August 30, 2013 at 3:26 pm: Justine

Thank you! From one of those lost newbie-vegan souls from the depths of the internet :-D

• August 31, 2013 at 4:29 am: @GlowVegan

Thank you, Isa, I didn’t know either! I used to love tuna but haven’t eaten it in years. I substituted chopped dill pickles for the carrots, red onion for the onion flakes, and added some dill and a squeeze of lime juice. Sooo delicious! This will be perfect for school lunches. My hubby loved it too :)

• September 1, 2013 at 8:37 pm: Calli

I started to make this and I got sidetracked…I ended up mashing the garbanzos, adding Sri racha, mayo & sesame oil and rolling it up in a sheet of nori! It was good!

• September 2, 2013 at 2:32 pm: kelly

i like good vegan meal ideas as much as i like good vegan “recipes”.

• September 2, 2013 at 11:39 pm: liz

I did not know about chickpea-mash-sandwiches, and this blew. my. mind. I am going to be starting school again tomorrow and was struggling to find something I could box for lunch. Thanks a ton!

• September 3, 2013 at 3:35 pm: Anna

I didn’t know! I’m one of those lost souls. Hey, this whole vegan thing is still new for me. Thank you for another wonderful recipe!!!

• September 7, 2013 at 3:16 pm: Rosanne

BTW, I love the chickpea sammy filling recipe that uses Hijiki (from Vegan with a Vengance). It’s one of my favorites…

• September 7, 2013 at 3:55 pm: Emily

Wow was this good. And, no, I didn’t know you can smash up chickpeas and make a delicious sammy. I used avocado instead of the mayo, because I didn’t have the ingredients to make vegan mayo. Your website has really helped me transition into eating vegan. Thanks!

• September 10, 2013 at 7:38 am: jen

Did not know. Now so delighted. I bet I can use my ripe avocado for the mayo, too.

• September 12, 2013 at 7:03 pm: Eileen

I LOVE this and make it often now. Today I just made the chickpea salad and mixed it with some sunflower seeds and leftover barley and ate it like that, and it was delicious.

Isa, I’m newly vegan and your recipes are opening up a whole new world for me. Thank you for bringing me so much joy, in addition to my main objective of ending animal suffering!

• September 13, 2013 at 3:34 am: IsaChandra

So happy I could help!

• September 13, 2013 at 8:27 pm: bonnie

Made this the other night and loved it.

• September 13, 2013 at 9:21 pm: Leticia

I just, for the first time ever, ate “tuna salad” at a vegan restaurant. It was awesome, so of course, I came to your site to see if you had a recipe. THANKS!!! I can make this and have it all week for 1/3 of the cost.

• September 15, 2013 at 11:25 pm: qz

Didn’t make/have any mayo, so I followed the tahini sub advice. It tasted a bit “off” – but I spread the bread with mustard/pickle relish combo. Problem solved! Next time I may mix it in. Hubs is enjoying it.

• September 16, 2013 at 7:49 pm: Blue

This is a game changer—I love this recipe!! Tunafish sandwiches has been the only thing I have missed in the vegan world and this recipe made my summer. Only addition was some spicy mustard- throw it all in the food processer and it’s great every time. Thank you!!

• September 19, 2013 at 5:31 pm: goofycucumber

Wow! I am one of those lost souls that did not know about mashed chickpeas! I am not a vegan, but I am vegetarian, so I adjusted the vegan mayo for olive oil mayo. I have to say this is probably one of the best tasting sandwich salads I have ever put in my mouth. This is so good that my father, who complains if there isn’t a visible meat on his plate, loved it!

• September 22, 2013 at 11:00 pm: Kate

OH MY GOD! Never thought of it!
    I’ve had almonds stand in for tuna salad, but never chickpeas.
    Being gluten and dairy free and the boyfriend being a vegetarian has seriously done nothing but improve our cooking for each other.

• September 25, 2013 at 7:29 am: anina

Hello again…I’m so excited right now about coming across your site and am looking forward to giving your mayo a go and this recipe as well! Will it be okay for us to use fresh chickpeas rather than the canned and if so, how long should I soak them for? Will it be okay overnight or will I have to soak then cook them in order to be able to mash/blend them? This is a start of a new journey for both my husband and I and this’ll be my first time preparing chickpeas.

• September 25, 2013 at 5:14 pm: IsaChandra

You can soak them overnight and then boil for about 30 minutes, but it will depend on the chickpea, it could take longer. Make sure they are soft enough to easily mash with a fork and then you’re good to go!

• September 27, 2013 at 12:19 am: Jamie

I followed some of the suggestions left in the comments: I added dill, used my food processor, and added one diced dill pickle resulting in a fab, quick, and easy sandwich spread!

• September 28, 2013 at 8:56 pm: Ilana

Although we already tons of chick peas as Hummous is a staple every night in the country I I live in (we have chopped salad and hummous and Tehina) I decided to try this this evening. We liked it a lot. I want to add that I remove most of the clear skins of the chick peas- less uhm tummy issues, and all. You can add fresh parsley, pickles, olives and corn for a different taste each time.

• October 7, 2013 at 12:48 pm: Kerri

I make mine more like chicken salad I suppose, and use grapes, almonds and celery. It’s just so genius!

• October 9, 2013 at 5:15 pm: emg

I am one of those who never made this before today and it is delicious! I added some nori that I tore into small pieces which really made it taste tuna-y. I could hardly stop eating it while my bread was toasting but I did have enough for the sammich.
    Thank you so much for the great recipe!!!

• October 16, 2013 at 8:11 pm: Andrea

I’m a long long long term veggie head. I’ve never thought of this. So Thanks from ME! :)

• October 21, 2013 at 4:05 am: A

I made these 4 days in a row, ate them for lunch and dinner and they were delish every time.

• October 21, 2013 at 11:56 pm: kaled

Thanks! it is true not everybody knows! I got a curried chickpea salad sandwich at a gluten free bakery last week and have been obsessing about it ever since…and so now will make this at home.

• October 27, 2013 at 2:50 am: Tracey

This is so simple but so delicious. I love your website and recipes. Working my way through the recipes now I have discovered you.

• October 28, 2013 at 4:27 am: Lynn

I made this recipe tonight after attempting to make a vegan tuna melt the night before with a can of vegan “tuna”. Your recipe is a much better alternative to tuna fish. I had to throw the vegan “tuna” melt out because it was so gross.

I’m planning on making this again with some relish or capers, fresh onion and sunflower seeds. Yummy!

• November 4, 2013 at 2:47 am: Jennifer

I love this! And I’m one of those people who never knew that you could smash garbanzo beans to taste amazing! Thank you so much! I LOVE ALL of your cookbooks!! And I LOVE your caldo verde with tempeh soup recipe!!! YUM.

• November 8, 2013 at 4:53 am: cj

OMG so amazing! I ate the entire batch for lunch then went to the store for more chickpeas so I could have this again for dinner!

• November 8, 2013 at 7:18 am: IsaChandra

Haha, after my own heart.

• December 7, 2013 at 1:53 pm: Geri

I didn’t know either! So nice to have another lunch option. Had to play with seasonings, my storebought vegan mayo isn’t the tastiest and/or I’m more like Isa’s sister, not much of a mayo person (but my sister was!). But it was still yummy and I will make again a few different ways, most definitely!

• December 15, 2013 at 1:06 pm: Bev

Where do you purchase kelp/seaweed powder? I want to make again going the more ‘fishy’ angle? thanks! Bev

• December 15, 2013 at 1:06 pm: Bev

Where do you purchase kelp/seaweed powder? thanks! Bev

• December 15, 2013 at 8:43 pm: Jen

WHAT?!! I didn’t know about this whole chickpea salad craze. Just made a batch and it is freaking amazing!!! Thank you so much for sharing!
    I will be making this A LOT during my upcoming mat leave I’m sure. Quick to make and can be eaten with one hand – BONUS!

• December 23, 2013 at 6:28 am: todozimbabuecom

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It actually used to be a enjoyment account it.

Glance advanced to more introduced agreeable from you! However, how could we be in contact?

• December 30, 2013 at 2:44 am: Laura in Taos

I throw a little kelp granules in, just because. Also I made Isa’s mayo and I’ll never buy Veganiase again. (Well, maybe if I’m lazy…)

• January 7, 2014 at 9:24 pm: Nicole

I love the idea of using chickpeas in place of tuna! I made this for my friends, but used green onions and sunflower seeds instead of celery and carrot and served it in endive leaves as an appetizer.

I also did a curried version with apples that I created a recipe for on my site, it was sooo good!

I’ll have to try that homemade vegan mayo, I found a grapeseed vegan mayo that I use now, but I’m all about making stuff from scratch.

• January 9, 2014 at 10:52 pm: Nannette

Please, please, please continue to post for those of us lost in the corners of the internet!
    I am 9 days into my vegan adventure and know virtually nothing!!!
    I do now, thanks to you, know that I can(did!) make a killer vegan mayo,(it’s wonderful) and that I can whip up chickpea sammiches!!!( we use that word too)
    Thank you, thank you!

• January 25, 2014 at 10:48 pm: Lane

I’ve NEVER thought of doing this! Spectacular. -just died- I added garlic, dill, and finely minced green bell pepper, then served on mild rye break with a wee-bit of mustard. It really tied everything together. I absolutely love this. Thank you Isa-my magical vegan recipe mentor! : DL

• January 29, 2014 at 3:41 am: Randi

I love chickpeas. It has never, ever occurred to me to eat them this way!

• February 2, 2014 at 8:42 pm: freya

This is an utterly glorious sandwich. I don’t like celery, so I substituted a couple tablespoons of minced fresh basil. Fantastically yummy.

• February 14, 2014 at 5:37 am: Janet

Inspired! Delicious, easy and so customizable. Thank you, Isa!!
    I usually eat this in a tortilla or lettuce wrap, tossed in a salad, or simply standing in the open fridge, scooping it up with pieces of butter lettuce (heh). It’s also fun to stuff in halves of those small sweet red/orange/yellow peppers. Appetizer!
    BTW, I am a lifelong mayo hater, and usually bind this with hummus. Yum.

• February 16, 2014 at 3:00 am: Sarah

This has become one of my favorite easy go-to weeknight meals! I chop up avocado and mix it into the chickpea mixture at the very end… sooo good.

• March 13, 2014 at 7:09 am: daniel

this recipe rules let the haters hate but every recipe that is “basic” on your site has helped me emmensley so thankyou!